ORAS OU I Made Tyrantrum Team

I really wanted a team built around tyrantrum since his new ability is so good. I has worked okay but I have a problem with any will-o-wisp users, gliscor, skarmory, azumarill, and chansey who can pretty much wall my team after I lose tyrantrum.

Head Game (Tyrantrum) @ Life Orb
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

I chose Tyrantrum cause lets be honest head game strong. I all seriousness I really like this mon and head smash after a dragon dance hurts every thing in the tier a lot. Dragon claw is there for good neutral coverage and I can out speed some other dragons and OHKO after a D-dance. Earthquake is there mostly for Heartan that resists dragon claw and 4 times resists head smash.

Fawkes (Talonflame) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Taunt

I chose talonflame because it resists fairy and fighting and it can strike back with a priority flying type move. I went with the bulk up set to take some hits and I can use a set up mon to set up on then sweep. Also after I get a few bulk ups I take very little damage so with sitrus berry after I get below half health I get a power boost. Roost is my only other form of recovery so it is almost necessary.

Paradise (Venusaur) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder
I wanted a bulky mon that could dish damage and spread status so Mega venusaur. I went with an offensive set so I can out speed and get some sleep powders off then either switch into a set up mon take it out or get health back with giga drain.Sludge bomb is for anything that resists giga drain. Hidden power fire is nessecary to deal with skarmory and ferrothorn who wall venusaur otherwise.

Molly (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
The clefable is here to stop any dragons that are faster than tyrantrum and can be rather bulky. Flame thrower is here for and steel types that like to try and threaten me out. Soft boiled is my other form of recovery other than left overs. I of course use calm mind to further increase my bulkiness and damage out put.

Dry-Wall (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
I wanted an electric immunity and stealth rocks so I chose hippowdon. He has really impressive bulk so I wanted to have slack off to keep him around longer. Stealth rocks is for any flying types but I really only go for it if I know its going to really hurt their team or hippowdon is going down anyway. Earthqauke is there for stab and people kept sending in excadrills to rapid spin and I can just kill them and even if they choose an attack I can take it. Stone edge is only there for talonflame.

Karma (Starmie) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
I chose starmie for water tab and rapid spin so talonflame could stay healthy. Hydro pump is there because without life orb he needs all the damage he can get. Ice beam for dragons who might switch in or if I can out predict. Then psyshock is for any fighting types that could threaten tyrantrum.

Forgot to include but empoleon poses quit a threat as well because my rapid spinner can't touch it and both my earthquake users get destroyed by it.

Right off the bat, a change that can help you deal with M-Lop better would be to run Slowbro > Starmie, since Slowbro helps check M-Lop better. One thing to note is that this means losing rapid spin support, so keep that in mind when considering the change.

080.gif
Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock

Another change I would like to recommend is removing Talonflame's item. While I see the logic behind using a perishable item, it leaves Talonflame with a 55BP move until that Sitrus Berry is gone, which makes it much tougher to revenge-kill threats like M-Cham/M-Lop. The lack of item also allows you to switch into Knock Offs more easily. I would also recommend running Will-O-Wisp > Taunt, to catch any rock/steel types bar Heatran on the switch.

663.gif
Talonflame
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Finally, since you mentioned that status was an issue on your team, I would recommend running Unaware Clefable > Magic Guard Clefable.

036.gif
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Perennial

amol selseila
Starmie really needs Recover here. with Talonflame as your main response to threats like Charizard-Y you need to keep SR away from the field consistently to help it switch in reliably. without Recover Starmie can't spin as consistently and will get worn down quickly. AV isn't helping Starmie accomplish much either since you already take hits just fine from things like Heatran and Keldeo without the special defense boost. as such, I would highly consider modifying Starmie to a bulkier variant with Recover and Leftovers. this provides much better hazard control which goes a long way in helping you deal with things you find troublesome, like Skarmory. between Natural Cure Starmie + Magic Guard Clefable, you are also provided with further ways to address the status issue you mention.
Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 16 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
Heatran is neutral to Head Smash, not 4x resistant like you mention. after a Dragon Dance you actually KO max HP Heatran, doing 111.3 - 131.6%. since you mention EQ is mainly for Heatran and now know Head Smash kills you can consider using Fire Fang in its place. although you do a little less damage than EQ to pokémon like Mega Metagross and Jirachi, you gain the ability to KO Ferrothorn at +1, who otherwise walls you cold.

Flamethrower on Clefable becomes redundant with the change to Fire Fang Tyrantrum and other fire coverage already on your team. with Starmie using Recover, you also handle Skarmory better so I would consider Thunder Wave in its place. this allows Clefable to cripple and potentially win 1v1 against common checks like Heatran and Mega Venusaur. being able to paralyze dangerous threats like Manaphy and Charizard-X in a pinch also goes a long way.

one of Mega Venusaur's best qualities is its bulk and durability. without Synthesis, you take this quality away. Keldeo, Serperior, Azumarill, Rotom-W, Manaphy, Mega Altaria, Mega Diancie, Thundurus-I, Mega Manectric, the list goes on. these are all pokémon Venusaur becomes incapable of handling consistently without the ability to heal. I encourage you to use Synthesis over Sleep Powder to maximize Venusaur's longevity and ability to handle threats. also, there is little use in running max speed on Mega Venusaur. investing in bulk is much more beneficial to help handle the long list of threats before. try the standard 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe spread with a Modest nature.

lastly, you can consider Sand Force as an ability on Hippowdon if you're concerned about sand interfering with Synthesis. otherwise, cool team.

Last edited:
Starmie really needs Recover here. with Talonflame as your main response to threats like Charizard-Y you need to keep SR away from the field consistently to help it switch in reliably. without Recover Starmie can't spin as consistently and will get worn down quickly. AV isn't helping Starmie accomplish much either since you already take hits just fine from things like Heatran and Keldeo without the special defense boost. as such, I would highly consider modifying Starmie to a bulkier variant with Recover and Leftovers. this provides much better hazard control which goes a long way in helping you deal with things you find troublesome, like Skarmory. between Natural Cure Starmie + Magic Guard Clefable, you are also provided with further ways to address the status issue you mention.
Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 16 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
Heatran is neutral to Head Smash, not 4x resistant like you mention. after a Dragon Dance you actually KO max HP Heatran, doing 111.3 - 131.6%. since you mention EQ is mainly for Heatran and now know Head Smash kills you can consider using Fire Fang in its place. although you do a little less damage than EQ to pokémon like Mega Metagross and Jirachi, you gain the ability to KO Ferrothorn at +1, who otherwise walls you cold.

Flamethrower on Clefable becomes redundant with the change to Fire Fang Tyrantrum and other fire coverage already on your team. with Starmie using Recover, you also handle Skarmory better so I would consider Thunder Wave in its place. this allows Clefable to cripple and potentially win 1v1 against common checks like Heatran and Mega Venusaur. being able to paralyze dangerous threats like Manaphy and Charizard-X in a pinch also goes a long way.

one of Mega Venusaur's best qualities is its bulk and durability. without Synthesis, you take this quality away. Keldeo, Serperior, Azumarill, Rotom-W, Manaphy, Mega Altaria, Mega Diancie, Thundurus-I, Mega Manectric, the list goes on. these are all pokémon Venusaur becomes incapable of handling consistently without the ability to heal. I encourage you to use Synthesis over Sleep Powder to maximize Venusaur's longevity and ability to handle threats. also, there is little use in running max speed on Mega Venusaur. investing in bulk is much more beneficial to help handle the long list of threats before. try the standard 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe spread with a Modest nature.

lastly, you can consider Sand Force as an ability on Hippowdon if you're concerned about sand interfering with Synthesis. otherwise, cool team.
Right off the bat, a change that can help you deal with M-Lop better would be to run Slowbro > Starmie, since Slowbro helps check M-Lop better. One thing to note is that this means losing rapid spin support, so keep that in mind when considering the change.

View attachment 46712
Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock

Another change I would like to recommend is removing Talonflame's item. While I see the logic behind using a perishable item, it leaves Talonflame with a 55BP move until that Sitrus Berry is gone, which makes it much tougher to revenge-kill threats like M-Cham/M-Lop. The lack of item also allows you to switch into Knock Offs more easily. I would also recommend running Will-O-Wisp > Taunt, to catch any rock/steel types bar Heatran on the switch.

View attachment 46713
Talonflame
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Finally, since you mentioned that status was an issue on your team, I would recommend running Unaware Clefable > Magic Guard Clefable.

View attachment 46714
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
I think your right about talonflame and I switched starmuie like you said and to keep hazard control changed hippowdon to donphan to get rid of the sand to help venusaur thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can you have a post with no characters?

Slowbro over Starmie. not only would that save you from Lopunny and Empoleon because Double Dance, but Gengar, a common partner, is screwed every way to Sunday because Hippo. I think you should go with Mega Slowbro and drop Mega Saur.

With that said, in place of Mega Saur we have Latias. Running Draco Metor, Psyshock, Healing Wish, and Defog would severely benefit your team. You need to keep Tyrantrum (almost typed Tyranitar lol) healthy sinice he's your Wincon, so Healing Wish will increase its longetivity, also Life Orb

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Iron Defense
- Slack Off

How can you have a post with no characters?

Slowbro over Starmie. not only would that save you from Lopunny and Empoleon because Double Dance, but Gengar, a common partner, is screwed every way to Sunday because Hippo. I think you should go with Mega Slowbro and drop Mega Saur.

With that said, in place of Mega Saur we have Latias. Running Draco Metor, Psyshock, Healing Wish, and Defog would severely benefit your team. You need to keep Tyrantrum (almost typed Tyranitar lol) healthy sinice he's your Wincon, so Healing Wish will increase its longetivity, also Life Orb

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Iron Defense
- Slack Off
I like your suggestions but I have nothing to deal with ghost types and now have two ghost weaknesses

Hi, some general suggestions:

Don't use Donphan, it kinda sucks in OU, just use Starmie has your Rapid Spin user, I'd rather use Recover on it tho with a more defensive oriented set. An EV spread of 240 HP / 44 Def / 224 Spe lets you have better chances to Rapid Spin hazards away, the moveset should be Scald / Reflect Type / Recover / Rapid Spin, Reflect Type lets you beat Tyranitar and Ferrothorn in 1v1 and I think in your team it's better than Psyshock that would be another option instead of it.

I'd also use Synthesis on Venusaur instead of Sleep Powder as it needs it to check Keldeo, Mega Altaria and a lot of other threats in the long run. If you are worry that it won't recover much PP because you have Sand Stream on your Hippowdon, just change it's ability in Sand Force.

I'd also personally use Talonflame with Brave Bird instead of Acrobatics and Leftovers instead of Sitrus Berry as in the long run the recovery Leftovers gives each turn it's really helpful but I guess that's more of a personal preference.

Finally, you can try Thunder Wave instead of Flamethrower on Clefable, the latter helps you against Ferrothorn and Scizor mostly but between Talonflame and Venusaur you shouldn't have many problems against them, while Thunder Wave is one of the most annoying move to face since gen 1 and it helps you to not be setup fodder for threats like Charizard X to make an example.

Guess its all I got for now, gl with your team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)