MLB 2015

And my hometown nine make the first trade of the summer.

Astros get:
LHP Scott Kazmir

A's get:
RHP Daniel Mengden (A+)
C Jacob Nottingham (A+)

Losing Nottingham stings a little, because our catching depth isn't as good as the rest of the system, but he's far from ML ready.

This makes our rotation one of the best in the American League, especially since Kazmir's been dominant within the division this year.

Keuchel
Kazmir
McHugh
McCullers/Velasquez (really hoping we tandem, but realistically, one goes to the pen)
Feldman

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
and the pirates bring back aramis. Not a hugely relevant move, only a small gain for the remainder of the season, but just having him back is such a happy thing for me, i was so heartbroken as a 7 year old when we dumped him, and still just love him

Today is Hall of Fame day, and I can say I am honestly excited to see Pedro Martinez go into the Hall of Fame. With the exception of some managers last year which I really don't care to count, this year marks the first year that players I watched during my childhood got into the Hall of Fame. As a 21 year old, I really never got the opportunity to watch Pedro pitch in his prime but even so he was one of the guys who made me a Red Sox fan.

Growing up in Akron, Ohio during the era of Indians domination, people often wonder why I was a Red Sox fan and not a devout follower of the Tribe. I started liking the Red Sox because of my father, who was a devote New York Yankees fan and a pretty big asshole in his own right. He was, and still is, an obnoxious fan who screams and hollers and trash talks everyone for whatever reason necessary. Not in a kidding way but in a very personal and very in your face. He would be like that all the time watching sports, and it drove me kind of insane even as a small kid. And as a somewhat poor kid with not a lot of toys and only one TV, I was pretty much subjected to watching sports with him.

I always liked baseball as a kid and remember playing the hell out of the 989 Sports game with Vin Scully and Dave Cambell nearly daily. I never really had a team, but I would always play guys who my dad hated. Especially on the off chance he would play with me as kick my ass to the curb with his all star team. I was mostly the Mets because they were just a better team, but sometimes I played as the Red Sox with Pedro Martinez because he was a boss and my dad hated him.

God, did my dad hate Pedro Martinez. And because my dad hated him, I loved him. I remember watching some of the 1999 ALCS between the Indians and the Red Sox, and him bitching and complaining at Pedro and cursing up a storm at him because he wanted anything but for the Red Sox to win. I remember how cool it was for this guy to go out when he was injured and toss 6 no hit innings and shut my dad up. After that, I just kind of watched most of Pedro's starts ESPECIALLY when they were against the Yankees. And I started following a specific team more than I did just watching Yankee games with my obnoxious father.

I can honestly say it was Pedro Martinez who got me to first like the Boston Red Sox. Not just the way that he pitched, but his character. The take no shit mentality really got me hooked. He was never afraid to go and plunk someone or get into fist fights or defend his teammates ESPECIALLY if it was against the Yankees. I loved it. And while Pedro started to leavehis prime and I started liking other Red Sox players more... I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Mr. Martinez. The emotional roller coaster ride that he and the rest of the Boston Red Sox put me through against the Yankees in 2003 and 2004 made me fall in love with the sport of baseball and the power that sports can have. The emotion and the connection which can come from it. And in a lot of ways, those things have got me through some pretty rough times in my life when I have had really nothing else.

And in a lot of ways, I wish I could go and watch a Pedro v. Yankees game one last time...

Last edited:
Very well written, mate.

Today's also a special day for Craig Biggio, as he becomes the first Houston Astros representative into the Hall of Fame. I was born and raised in Houston, and grew up with the Killer B's of Biggio, Bagwell, and Berkman (not to mention playoff studs Backe and Burke). I still remember the absurd amount of pine tar on his helmet and falling in love with how hard he played. He wore the pin of his Sunshine Kids on his hat. He would always run out a routine grounder, even forcing some errors here and there. Nothing exemplified this more than his 3000th hit (which I still remember watching on TV) when he was thrown out trying to stretch a single into a double.

It's really, really cool that Biggio is so active in Houston - he's the coach of a local high school team, and quite often you'll run into him in a grocery store or something like that. It's a shame that Bagwell hasn't been inducted yet (but hopefully he will, curse that degenerative shoulder) and I am confident Berkman gets inducted one day.

I love baseball, and I love my team. Happy Hall Day, everyone.

Just wanted to say that Todd Frazier reaching 100 career home runs is about the only good thing to come out of this season for the Reds(except for Frazier winning the derby). I wouldn't say the ASG counts cause Frazier played poorly that game and the AL won for the 9000th time... Always next year I guess
EDIT(to avoid double posting)
Not gonna complain about the Reds trading Cueto. He'll be a FA next year and the Reds won't be able to afford him so dealing him now made sense. As for who we got from the Royals, we got 3 LHPs in minor league Brandon Finnegan, John Lamb and Cody Reed. Solid trade. It doesn't give us pitching help for this year but investing in the future makes sense given Cincy's place in the division. I just hope these guys don't bust. Now when to deal Mike Leake and Jay Bruce?

Last edited:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
It bothers me that the Reds did nothing in their window except laughable performances like getting no-hit in the playoffs and losing three straight home games to the Giants, and now we're just gonna have to start all over again. >:(

Amusingly, Cueto pitched against Tulo and the Rockies in his last start as a Red. He will pitch against Tulo and his Blue Jays in his next start. On that note, LOL Rockies what in the world are you doing? All they did was take a worse player with a worse contract in Reyes and, from what I hear because I don't actually follow MLB that much and know jack all about prospects that aren't the Reds', not get any of the Jays' good prospects either.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What the fuuuuuuuuck
hurts to give up Hoffman but tulo is exactly the kind of player you give up that kind of prospect for
Travis-Donaldson-Baustista-Edwing-Tulo-Martin-BABIP King Colabello-Smoak-Pillar
and we might still get Shark or Hamels
What the fuuuuuuuuck

Hoffman was super hyped but apparently he hasn't looked nearly as good as he did before Tommy John, never heard of the other prospect. I'm trying to refrain from screaming TULO at the top of my lungs but oh my god Josh Donaldson and Tulo ahhhh

Texas Cloverleaf

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hoffman was super hyped but apparently he hasn't looked nearly as good as he did before Tommy John, never heard of the other prospect. I'm trying to refrain from screaming TULO at the top of my lungs but oh my god Josh Donaldson and Tulo ahhhh
Castro pitched out of the bullpen for us early this year before getting sent down. Jesus is an A class no name right now.

I was referring to Tinoco, forgot about Castro. Castro throws hard but didn't seem to miss bats in both triple A and the Majors, so I don't really mind losing him

On that note, LOL Rockies what in the world are you doing? All they did was take a worse player with a worse contract in Reyes and, from what I hear because I don't actually follow MLB that much and know jack all about prospects that aren't the Reds', not get any of the Jays' good prospects either.
Mr.E , allow me to offer an explanation for you about what the Rockies are doing. On paper, it seems that the Rockies are getting a worse contract for a worse player, but in reality they are saving money.

Just to throw the figures out on the deal, Tulo is owed $20MM annually from 2016-2019, $14MM in 2020, and a $15MM team option with a $4MM buyout. Reyes is due $22MM annually until 2017, and has a $22MM team option for 2018 with a $4MM buyout. While it looks like the Reyes deal is a worse contract because the Average Annual Value is higher on Reyes, the Rockies do save about $50MM because the Tulo contract goes on longer. The Rockies are in no real threat to hit the luxury cap to pay extra in Free Agency and shedding that pay roll will be perfect to allow them to sign free agents when the Rockies deem themselves ready to win again.

Additionally keep in mind that Reyes can and will be traded soon (either at deadline or the offseason) and the Rockies will probably try to trade him for average prospects and get some of his contract absorbed, giving them more flexibility later.

When it comes to the prospects... you have to keep in mind that the Colorado Rockies play in a very hitter friendly ballpark because of the elevation. Balls at Coors fly, and they are by far the best hitters park in the game right now. It's not even close, they're almost double other places when looking at park factor. This is a blessing and a curse because while hitters will gladly sign with the Rockies because of the favorable conditions, Colorado is left with always never being able to convince pitchers to sign in free agency or sign their own pitchers to long time deals. They are pretty much forced to develop their own pitchers and keep them in a certain window. While the trade for 3 average pitchers might not look sexy it does fill a need that Colorado is not going to be able to fill easily with the $50MM saved in free agency from trading Tulo.

Hope that makes some sense.

Last edited:

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As a Tigers fan I'm sad to see Price go, but I think this was for the best in the long run. I think it was definitely worthwhile for both teams.

Hopefully they can get a decent return for Cespedes as well in the next day or so.

Astros get:
CF Carlos Gomez
RHP Mike Fiers

Brewers get:
RF Domingo Santana
CF Brett Maverick Phillips (that's his actual middle name)
RHP Adrian Houser
LHP Josh Hader

My initial hawt take is that we got fleeced. I hate losing Phillips. He could be a five-tool, perennial All Star. But then common sense took over, and we just became a real, prime 2015 contender (assuming Gomez is healthy). Fiers provides depth, especially when McCullers goes to the pen. I've always liked the way Gomez plays, and he'll seem to gel really well with our current style. For 2015-16, we'll win the trade. For 2017 and on, it'll depend on whether we resign Gomez, or if his CBA pick works.

Other thoughts - the Blue Jays are really, really scary. Cole Hamels is an idiot, exercising his no trade (he's not right in the head, we don't want him anyways). Royals are also scarier. Glad we finished our season series' with both Toronto and Kansas City.

Meanwhile Cards trade one of their top pitching prospects for Brandon fucking Moss and all of his .217 average. Fuck me

Okay. So while most of the big moves have seemed to be made already, I kind of want to do some evaluating of teams. So I'm going to rank the top contending teams in order of who I think has the best postseason roster. I am only going to do the American League right now. Reason why is that I don't really find the National League that exciting and a lot of the teams like the Nationals, Cardinals, Pirates, Dodgers, and Giants are all kind of flawed in the same exact ways. Good but not great offense with strong front end pitching and complete bullpens. Only teams of interest are the Mets and the Cubs, but I don't think that the Mets can tread water with their hitting. Cubs are such a wild card I don't know what to think, and can't evaluate Joe Maddon properly. So I'm just giving that to the birds and I'll see if someone else wants to bite.

Like I said, this is a best post season team rank and not the best rest of season team. I'm not really worried about where these teams end the season as I am how they will look at the end of it. Obviously there are some larger pieces still to fall, and crazy shit happens in the trading deadline. But for right now, I am evaluating present teams for the things that matter most in the post season: obviously lineup and defense, top 3 starters, back end of bullpen, and bench options in the term of pinch hitting and baserunning.

1. Kansas City We Will Never Be Royals: Since I called their run last year before all you people jumped on MY bandwagon, I feel like it's cool for me to drop in the team with the best record in the American League as the favorite. Their rotation is not the best, but it is pretty good with Cueto, Ventura, and Volquez/Duffy. To me Cueto is a far better pitcher than Shields was for them last year. And what they may lag behind in SP they make up for with the best relief core in the show. Their offense is not great, but it is consistent. The way they play means they are not going to get into many ruts where they won't score. Speed in the bench might be some of the best with Dyson and Terrance Gore as bench options, and Ben Zoberist's versatility to allow earlier uses of the pinch runners. Flawed, but as a total package I don't see them being bested.

2. Houston lAstros: These guys were already good on offense, but if Gomez is healthy and can lead off for them, they just got some of the dynamics they needed. I still think their offense is too streaky to win three series, and their starting pitching isn't good enough to weather the storm. Don't get me wrong, their rotation is great in a 5 man, but I don't see how they translate to a postseason rotation. I also don't really believe in the back end of their bullpen, but with their super adaptation to sabermetrics, they might be just fine mixing and matching. They also have some speed on the bench, but not like Kansas City speed. I like them a lot, but I think they are are not there just let in the terms of their complimentary pieces.

3. Toronto Blue Jays:
The joke is they're from Canada. Ha! The top of their rotation is scary good, but you got to wonder how much playing on the turf is going to get Tulo. Also... Bautista and EE have had just pretty okay seasons at this point. I'm not really afraid of them more than Tulo and Donaldson. And everyone is going to have to play on all calendars to get to a playoff berth. David Price is a stud and the only reason they are this high on the list, but their next best starters are Mark Beuehereurheule and Lil Dickey. And their bullpen isn't cutting it. Best offense in the AL and Price makes the pitching staff tolerable, but they probably needed one more move in the bullpen department. LaTroy fucking Hawkins isn't cutting shit man. I'm sorry.

4. Old York Yankees: This team won't fucking die man. You got to figure that they would just move to the NL to play in the fucking Senior Circuit. I'm not really impressed with their offense and think it's vastly over preforming, and I don't see them staying healthy through the 162 streatch to make a post season run. Their starters are just okay. I don't see Tanaka as an ace, Pineda is going through his annual small injury that turns into missing half the year, and is CC Sabathia really scheduled to take the ball in the post season? Is this fucking 2005 or something? The only think I like about the Yankees is that they have got a killer bullpen. However they are beating the fuck out of Miller and Betances, and have been all year. And you got to think that its going to catch up to them at some point. This isn't even coming from a Red Sox fan, but I just don't see the Yankees as being that great of a ball club.

5. California LA Angels of Anaheim:
This is the Mike Trout show, and no one is going to fucking stop him man. Pooholes is pretty good too, but really that is it. David Murphey isn't fixing this ship. Shane Victoreno is not going to make every little thing be alright (god is he a special player though). Their pitching is the worst on this list besides the Twins, and their bullpen is good but nothing to write home about. I don't see the Sciosciapath making it out of the Wild Card game, let alone making a deep push.

6. Minnesota Twins: Only on this list because they are in a playoff spot. Anyone taking them seriously that isn't presently playing or related to a member of the Twins? No? I thought so. They look pretty good for next year if they can get some offseason pieces.

Texas Cloverleaf

I'd actually be comfortable if we didn't upgrade our bullpen at this point, since we've moved Sanchez there for the rest of the season. Sanchez and Hawkins can both handle 7th/8th inning duties without making me want to kill myself, Cecil is great when you aren't putting save pressure on him, and Osuna is money in the closers role. Bo Schultz has been good to this point but you'd likely want to shelter him. We'd be better with another reliever but behind a suddenly solid defense I'd be comfortable with that relief corps in October.

Additionally, the back end of our bullpen just added one flamethrower in Vincent Velasquez (think Adam Wainwright, when he had to close due to an innings limit). VV routinely bumps 96 when he starts, but is rumored to have hit 100 in AA. We'll probably add another in Lance McCullers, as his innings limit is soon approaching. Our two lefties, Keuchel and Kazmir, are studs at 1-2, and we can mix and match Fiers, McHugh, and Feldman to go 6 innings in a 3. If we get into a wild card game, there might be some issues, but I think that we win the division at this point.

Lowe is having a good season and his stuff this season is pretty encouraging. Great pickup but I don't see how it's enough to make up for the rest of their pitching deficiencies. I just got to hope that Toronto can get Bautista and EE on track, and make a run at the Yankees to knock them off.

God, anyone but the Yankees. x__x

Who have done NOTHING except add Dustin "Two Ten" Ackley to the fold. They had a busier summer last year with Headley and Drew, and people were bashing them for not trying to win in their already deteriorating window. Now they are in first place and have decided to keep the 2006 All Star Team together instead of adding so much needed IF and SP help. Zoberist and Gallardo could have went a long way...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)