General Introduce yourself!

Hello everyone, I'm JTD783.

I first got into Pokemon when I was around 10 years old. I started with Leafgreen, then went on
to Platinum, Soul Silver, Black, White 2, X, and Alpha Sapphire.

My venture into competitive battling started somewhere in Gen V. Like many, I wanted to know
what I could do to make my in-game team better and of course, ways to beat my friends when
I battled them. This led me to Smogon and its many resources.

By XY I was fairly knowledgeable about battling (note: knowledge doesn't necessarily mean skilled)
and I was beginning to use Pokemon Showdown to test my abilities, which at the time weren't
anything amazing.

Somewhere in the past year or so I began to explore the forums more often, and my understanding
of the game took me to where I am now. This is when I started to understand Smogon and its
community better, and I began to consider myself a decent battler, peaking at around 1620 on the
OU ladder recently.

Along the way I've been a minor presence in the OU and main lobby on Showdown; some of those who
read this may recognize me from there.

In July 2015 I finally got off my lazy ass decided to become a proper member after ghosting the threads
for so long. I hope to become a decent contributor to the site and be accepted into its community.

*Edit* First post :)

Hello everyone, I'm JTD783.

I first got into Pokemon when I was around 10 years old. I started with Leafgreen, then went on
to Platinum, Soul Silver, Black, White 2, X, and Alpha Sapphire.

My venture into competitive battling started somewhere in Gen V. Like many, I wanted to know
what I could do to make my in-game team better and of course, ways to beat my friends when
I battled them. This led me to Smogon and its many resources.

By XY I was fairly knowledgeable about battling (note: knowledge doesn't necessarily mean skilled)
and I was beginning to use Pokemon Showdown to test my abilities, which at the time weren't
anything amazing.

Somewhere in the past year or so I began to explore the forums more often, and my understanding
of the game took me to where I am now. This is when I started to understand Smogon and its
community better, and I began to consider myself a decent battler, peaking at around 1620 on the
OU ladder recently.

Along the way I've been a minor presence in the OU and main lobby on Showdown; some of those who
read this may recognize me from there.

In July 2015 I finally got off my lazy ass decided to become a proper member after ghosting the threads
for so long. I hope to become a decent contributor to the site and be accepted into its community.

*Edit* First post :)
You peaked at 1620 that's pretty good man for OU I'm stuck in the 1400s somewhere. I got into Pokemon around the same age as you and my first games were diamond and emerald. They were great games and personally gen four was my favorite Pokemon generation. I also got into competitive Pokemon around generation five as well and the strategy dex was very useful in my opinion. I quickly elevated my game and got much better in Pokemon and with being a member for over a year on smogon I felt like I have grown a lot. I'm sure you will do the same. Hope you enjoy smogon and if you need something message me by pm or VM.

Hey everyone! I doubt anyone remembers me, but I joined this forum as Inferstrain like 2 years ago. I've been out of the loop while but I'm back now! I hang out on Showdown a lot. You'll usually see me in the other metas room or the tutoring room. I hope be friends with many of you once again!

Hey everyone! I doubt anyone remembers me, but I joined this forum as Inferstrain like 2 years ago. I've been out of the loop while but I'm back now! I hang out on Showdown a lot. You'll usually see me in the other metas room or the tutoring room. I hope be friends with many of you once again!
Welcome back I hang out a decent amount of times on showdown as well. It's great to see users that have been members of the site for a longer time make a comeback. I've been a member of the site for over a year and I enjoyed being a member of the site. I gained a lot of experience with the meta and I improved my battling skills. I hope you'll enjoy your time around smogon and if you need something message me. Or if you just want to talk that's fine as well.

OK I'm sorry you guys went without replies for so long but don't worry we haven't forgotten you c:

Hi! I'd say you'd be best off holding off on getting involved in the big tournament scene for now (it's best to only enter like small-name tournaments rather than anything big like SPL anytime soon because it's not the best place to start off on in Smogon). Otherwise... definitely get involved in B101, yeah. It's just tough to get into sometimes, so don't be deterred if you can't straight away :) Welcome!

...Welcome!

Hey Skylight thanks for the reply. Yea it's probably a good idea to start small and work my way up in the tournament world. I was just wondering when i tried to sign up for B101 it said some error and that i didn't have permission to see the page. Im just a little confused on how to get involved that way. Any ideas?

Hey Skylight thanks for the reply. Yea it's probably a good idea to start small and work my way up in the tournament world. I was just wondering when i tried to sign up for B101 it said some error and that i didn't have permission to see the page. Im just a little confused on how to get involved that way. Any ideas?
I'm not to familiar with the battling 101 page. However what I can say on where to start is pokemon showdown or the online battling service for nintendo. I started from those and also received help from my friend who was really good at battling. I improved on my own and I actually am pretty decent.

http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/

The strategy dex helps a lot to. It can sometimes help you on what you think your opponent may run for a certain movesets. I consider the strategy dex the go to place for beginners. Get familiar with the metagame and pokemon showdown. Also there are tons of jerks on pokemon showdown so no matter what anyone says don't get put down and don't get upset.

Hello my name is Vicki im a 16 year old girl who likes pokemon i have been playing the games since the version Blue.İ have always liked Pokemon,but i never really looked at it in a competetive way.Now im starting to get in the groove of putting correct items on certain pokemon Choice Band azumarill and such.Bai #GuntherArmy

Hey! Believe it or not, but I actually remember you. In fact, when I saw your name come across a few years ago I thought it was so cool I named my Steelix on Emerald after you. And I still have it on my OR game. I've been on Smogon for over five years, lurking on a friend's account. Pretty random to see you return.

Last edited:
Hello my name is Vicki im a 16 year old girl who likes pokemon i have been playing the games since the version Blue.İ have always liked Pokemon,but i never really looked at it in a competetive way.Now im starting to get in the groove of putting correct items on certain pokemon Choice Band azumarill and such.Bai #GuntherArmy
Yo I'm 17 one year older than you lol:). I have been playing since diamond and pearl and I also got emeral as well at about the same time. Generation 4 is my favorit generation however I never really got into the competitive scene of battling till generation 5 and after a year and a half of mastering my battling skills I have improved and always like to pass down my knowledge to younger users. If you need something let me know and I'll do the best I can to help.
hi my name is blake and i have been playing pokemon since it was out in australia, i may be interested in competitive battling.
You may be interested in competitive battling huh. You should check out smogons strategy dex and you should play a lot of Pokemon showdown. I managed to improve my battling skills because of showdown and the strategy dex. You can message me or Fluke (he's currently active). We can help you with some basics on the battling things. Smogon also has a YouTube channel that is fairly helpful for battling. Enjoy smogon.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hi my name is blake and i have been playing pokemon since it was out in australia, i may be interested in competitive battling.
You guys aren't the only Australians :) We have loads of Aussies here, esp in #ocn on IRC. Although it's generally for world cup things, anyone can hang out there because it's only for people living in Oceania...but mainly Australians like me C:

If you want help getting on irc, check out the useful info thread in this forum which explains how to use irc, talking of which, there's a brand new place on irc where new users can chat and ask questions before jumping into other forums, and a few regulars of this forum will hang out there, it's in the title of this thread so check it out maybe if you guys get free time.

Either way welcome both of you. :') Chester explained everything else soooooo have fun ok!!

Hello! I'm Jack and I'm new to Smogon. I've been playing Pokemon since Gen 1, but I never knew how to really play :D I've recently been wanting to start competitive battling but I don't even know where to start. I'm always looking for new friends by the way!

Hello! I'm Jack and I'm new to Smogon. I've been playing Pokemon since Gen 1, but I never knew how to really play :D I've recently been wanting to start competitive battling but I don't even know where to start. I'm always looking for new friends by the way!
Well in case I didn't say this earlier in our chat online welcome to smogon:) If you have any other questions let me know by pm or vm. To start a pm click my username and click start a conversation. Thanks:)

http://spo.ink/sihc there's the link in case you wanna chat with us again. I also encourage anyone else new to have a look at this:)

Well in case I didn't say this earlier in our chat online welcome to smogon:) If you have any other questions let me know by pm or vm. To start a pm click my username and click start a conversation. Thanks:)

http://spo.ink/sihc there's the link in case you wanna chat with us again. I also encourage anyone else new to have a look at this:)
Thank you so much, I understand everything a lot more!

Hi all, I have made an account and am looking forward to being part of the community and meeting people on here :) Happy to be here
Hey mate welcome to smogon. I hope you enjoy becoming a awesome member of the community. If you keep looking around the Intro hub there should be some guides on breeding and even a few about battling tips. I recommend you check those out. I also recommend sometime in the future to try out the chat here for the intro hub. For any specific questions feel free to pm me or start a conversation by click my profile pic and clicking the start a conversation button. That's all I can say but have a great day:)

Hi I'm new here =)

been reading the forums and battling in showdown for a while now and thought I might as well join to learn more and become better

My favourite mon is Gyarados (especially the red one at lake of rage)

Hope I can contribute to the community as well

edit: No idea why it says my join date was in 2011, probably created an account back then but never used it until now

Hi I'm new here =)

been reading the forums and battling in showdown for a while now and thought I might as well join to learn more and become better

My favourite mon is Gyarados (especially the red one at lake of rage)

Hope I can contribute to the community as well

edit: No idea why it says my join date was in 2011, probably created an account back then but never used it until now
Oh sweet a glitch that lets you have an account for four years I wish I had one of those. I personally think that showdown is a great somewhat friendly place to practice to get better at Pokemon. If you join the chat we have for the intro hub you can request a battle if anyone is there (I won't be sadly I'm very busy at the moment). The best way to honestly improve your battling is to do more battling become familiar with the tier. That's how I managed to improve my skills. I can't join the online chat now but if you pm me in the future I can try to help you out with as much knowledge as possible:) thanks

hey people, i've been battling on and off since early gen 5, and have been lurking for a while, but have never really felt like posting until now. anyway i'll be lurking aroud and posting occasionally still.

Hey guys,

I've been playing Pokemon since Red and Blue, but didn't really get into the competitive scene until around XY.
I've kind of lurked around Smogon for a while, and it's been a great help getting into competitive mons, so I thought I may as well make an account.
I play on Showdown and Wi-Fi. Mostly just OU and UU, though I'm kind of a scrub.

hey people, i've been battling on and off since early gen 5, and have been lurking for a while, but have never really felt like posting until now. anyway i'll be lurking aroud and posting occasionally still.
Hey dude generation 5 was a pretty solid generation and that was when I made an attempt to get into competitive battling. I did many movesets used the strategy dex a lot and it was a learning experience but it helped me. I hope that you'll consider posting in the online chat room we created. I'm at work ish and can't really talk much now on the online server but I can when I get home. If you need something in particular though feel free to pm me.
Hey guys,

I've been playing Pokemon since Red and Blue, but didn't really get into the competitive scene until around XY.
I've kind of lurked around Smogon for a while, and it's been a great help getting into competitive mons, so I thought I may as well make an account.
I play on Showdown and Wi-Fi. Mostly just OU and UU, though I'm kind of a scrub.
I spend most of my time on showdown mainly because I find it convenient and easier to build teams and play test different stuff. X and y was when I became really good in competitive battling and actually also learned about Evs and Ivs. Hope you consider the online chat room as well. Have fun on smogon and have good day.

You guys aren't the only Australians :) We have loads of Aussies here, esp in #ocn on IRC. Although it's generally for world cup things, anyone can hang out there because it's only for people living in Oceania...but mainly Australians like me C:

If you want help getting on irc, check out the useful info thread in this forum which explains how to use irc, talking of which, there's a brand new place on irc where new users can chat and ask questions before jumping into other forums, and a few regulars of this forum will hang out there, it's in the title of this thread so check it out maybe if you guys get free time.

Either way welcome both of you. :') Chester explained everything else soooooo have fun ok!!
YAAAAAY AUSSİES!!!

Hey guys how's it going? This is my first post on here and I've heard a lot of good things about this page. I've been playing pokemon since red and blue came out, yeah I'm kinda old lol I'm 28 but still love pokemon. I'm trying to get into competive battling and learning the ropes. I work as a line chef at a bar by me and when I'm not working I'm either hanging out with my girlfriend of five years or playing pokemon or Ssb for my new 3ds Xl, I wasn't able to do a system transfer so lost all of my friend I had on my x friend safari so if anyone wants to add me feel free please. My favorite pokemon is Charizard (mega x because he always seemed like a dragon to me lol) my favorite legendary pokemon would be a tie between mewtwo aka the OG legend and girthina. I'm not sure what else to say but I'm looking forward to talking to a bunch of people on here and I'm sorry if I don't reply right away I'm still trying to figure everything out. I do have one question though and some might think I'm a noob for even asking but what's a good set up for a 6iv timid hoopa and a 6iv modest hoopa? My friend wants to have a legend battle and I'd like to use one of my hoopas, prefer to use unbound form but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance and I hope everyone has a blessed day and has caught them all, pokemon that is not stds lol sorry I had to do it!

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys how's it going? This is my first post on here and I've heard a lot of good things about this page. I've been playing pokemon since red and blue came out, yeah I'm kinda old lol I'm 28 but still love pokemon. I'm trying to get into competive battling and learning the ropes. I work as a line chef at a bar by me and when I'm not working I'm either hanging out with my girlfriend of five years or playing pokemon or Ssb for my new 3ds Xl, I wasn't able to do a system transfer so lost all of my friend I had on my x friend safari so if anyone wants to add me feel free please. My favorite pokemon is Charizard (mega x because he always seemed like a dragon to me lol) my favorite legendary pokemon would be a tie between mewtwo aka the OG legend and girthina. I'm not sure what else to say but I'm looking forward to talking to a bunch of people on here and I'm sorry if I don't reply right away I'm still trying to figure everything out. I do have one question though and some might think I'm a noob for even asking but what's a good set up for a 6iv timid hoopa and a 6iv modest hoopa? My friend wants to have a legend battle and I'd like to use one of my hoopas, prefer to use unbound form but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance and I hope everyone has a blessed day and has caught them all, pokemon that is not stds lol sorry I had to do it!
Welcome to Smogon! :) 28 isn't too old, I'm 23 and although you've 5 years older than me well... it's not that bad ok! I'm five years older than a lotta new people here, so I know the feel. And I have no clue about the competitive question, probably best to ask in simple questions, or check out the analysis section of Smogon? I assume they're working on an analysis for Hoopa but I really have no clue whatsoever :( And don't worry people here just catch Pokemon, only the lucky few are able to catch...Pokerus. Yes, Pokerus. Check out all the stickies here to learn more about Smogon since I think you have enough knowledge of competitive battling from your post.

Have fun! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)