General What brought you to Smogon?

I stared playing competitively about a year back in the videogames, but sadly it took way too long to 6IV them all, and train them from scratch. The reasoning is that I'm not even done with OR/AS and X and Y!I'm too lazy to finish it, but hopefully I will.
So, someone told me about Pokemon Showdown, and I guess I was hooked since then. I haven't played all that often, but I love it.

Starting some time last year, I decided I wanted to get into competitive battling. I have a friend who is really smart and really good, and I admire her a lot. She encouraged me to use Bulbapedia and Smogon as good resources for learning more about Pokemon in general and competitive battling in particular. I was impressed with the array of information available on Smogon and have used it as a source since my original foray into competitive battling. However, I finally joined because I am interested in getting better at competitive battling, and the only way to do that is to get help, suggestions, and guidance from people who are established and better than me! Also, I would like to make more friends with people who are interested in Pokemon.

Well I like to play Showdown from time to time, mostly random battles and 1v1, but I already participated in few tournaments.
I came to smogon because I've found a link redirecting to these forums. And as I like to learn, read and trying to write in English, together with fact that this forum is runned on xenforo software, which creates a nice user-friendly interference, and least but not last, the fact I love pokemon (besides other more life-practical things, lol..) and I love learning new things which interests me, so I stuck here. :v

I watched the Regionals of the VGC on youtube and had little idea of what was exactly going on and so I looked on the internet which brought me here (basically the first thing I visited was the strategy Pokedex)

I am kinda strange actually. I don't mind my in-game Pokemons IVs or EVs, but I care about their natures and abilities. A LOT. So I just searched for the best set for my chosen Pokemon and just clicked on Smogon. Now here is my go-to website, along with Serebii ( for news and in-game infos) and Bulbapedia ( for Pokemon Universe details).

I am kinda strange actually. I don't mind my in-game Pokemons IVs or EVs, but I care about their natures and abilities. A LOT. So I just searched for the best set for my chosen Pokemon and just clicked on Smogon. Now here is my go-to website, along with Serebii ( for news and in-game infos) and Bulbapedia ( for Pokemon Universe details).
Kinda curious.. Do you now care about IVs and EVs? I mean, it's quite contradicting.. A good nature without IVs and EVs backing it up is worth nothing, and vice versa.

Kinda curious.. Do you now care about IVs and EVs? I mean, it's quite contradicting.. A good nature without IVs and EVs backing it up is worth nothing, and vice versa.
Yes, the above strange rules just applied for Pokemon used to plow through the Gyms and the League. Pokemon that are for competitive uses are IV and EV bred :3 I just don't want a Modest Thick Fat Azumarill and opt for an Adamant Huge Power one, even if it is in-game, I want my Pokemon to perform well.

PS: Is using Giveaway cloned Pokemon in BattleSpot alright?

As is likely common, what brought me to Smogon was looking up sets for Pokemon, and then a little later, the ASB forum game. I didn't play Gen IV OR Gen V, and came back to the game with XY. I quickly became interested in the competitive portion with the fancy world wide web wifi services through Global Link, but I'm pretty awful at it.

That would be the name. It's a good name. That, and I'm the only Pokemon nerd I know so I figured it was about time I fixed that.

I spent a lot of time reading the strategy dex because the competitive side of pokemon fascinated me. Since GF began making it easy for lazy people like myself to try out the more in-depth stuff, I decided to ollie over and say hi properly.

Hey there. I saw this place while browsing my Facebook page, a friend of mine had liked a post of the "Smogon University" Facebook page. I saw the blue verified tick next to the name and was instantly ingaged in a 30-minute post-viewing montage and needless to say, I was impressed. Being a Pokemon fan helped too and now you see me here, today! Have a nice day.

I have made my way over to this section of the internet because I have some ideas that I would like to get organized and advised on that involve the Pokemon community.

i guess i wanted to learn more about the competitive side of pokémon, and maybe get involved myself! it'll take me a while to get used to it all, but i'm slowly but surely learning a thing or two!

I found Smogon just by googling a Pokemon that I liked, and Smogon's entry in its Pokedex was the third result on google. Then I explored the site, and it was nice and all, but I didn't know what to do. Then found a link to Pokemon Showdown in the site, and made a team. It was ok-ish, but needed A LOT of work. I found the abundance of RMTs on Smogon and decided, hey, let's make an account! There was a weird bug on Showdown that I gotta report, but more importantly, I really got to get my team up to competitive level!

My friend said we should showdown some time. Me, wondering what that was, decided to go ahead and agree to his challenge... So Pokemon Showdown + the Roleplaying IRC chat is what really got me intrigued with Smogon. I figured I should start getting more involved with the community and such, so here I am! =)

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
'Twas the night before Christmas of 2013, and I was bored of battling on Wi-Fi, so I Googled "pokemon battle" to see if there were any better options. The first thing that came up was Pokémon Showdown, and it seemed really interesting, so I decided to give it a shot. I don't remember the exact details too well of how I got to the forums, but I know that someone posted a link to the "Silly things in the OU ladder" thread and I followed it. That was months ago. I only recently have had the time to create an account on the forums.

Well, originally, I started from Showdown. Then I made an account here to contribute, and join the forums as well. First I thought competitiveness was boring, then I got involved in it. I wish I had started sooner, but never mind

I used to always lurk back in the day when earthworm was running the gen 4 meta then after long days of playing on PS! I was generally always playing pokemon as a kid and during DPP i overheard a kid talking about smogon at a convention and i knew of the site due to PS and then a year more of lurking before i finally made an account,

I'd loved Smogon for all my pokemon movesets and teams and whatnot. Sounds like the people who post here really know their stuff. =)

I was brought to Smogon because I've been playing Pokémon ever since I wa little and I've become interested in competitive battling. The problem is, I don't know anything about competitive battling and I don't know how to get better or prepare for it. I found out Smogon is pretty helpful for people learning about competitive battling, so I joined. Not really sure what to do now.

I came to Smogon since it was pretty well known as the hub for all things relating to competitive Pokemon (especially if you prefer 6v6 singles to VGC). I've lurked the forums for a while and decided to make an account pretty recently, and try to contribute to help newer players like everyone here helped me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)