ORAS OU Nightmares Are His Favorite Wishes: How To Make Hoopa-Unbound Work #2 Peak 1900+

njnp

We don't play this game to lose.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
THE STAR OF THE SHOW

Listen To This While Reading [:​

Before We Get Into This I Tried To make Some Words Bold and Some Words Crossed Through so people would see it's a joke like me saying torn is S Rank but For Some Weird Reason can't get it worrking ;.;

The support for Hoopa-Unbound at a glance:

Hello Fellow Smogon Users, this is the rmt of the team that I used to get high on the OU ladder with the tremendous beast of hoopa. I decided to make it my goal to make a successful hoopa team on ladder sense it was getting so much hate and people feel that it's a bad mon and even myself for a period of time thought it was just a mon I didn't want to waste my team building with cause it was becoming a challenge. I just had to use the nightmare of ou, which is Mega Hoopa-Unbound, due to its capability to perform well vs stall and balanced teams. This is due to its massive coverage being able to break down every single "counter", and high special attack as well as attack along with Latias Like Spd. Hoopa-Unbound also provides a great answer to walls that would otherwise annoy my Mega Mane such as hippodown, tyranitar, and bulky water ground types which are quite effective vs Mega Manectric Teams.
Overall, Hoopa-Unbound is a really great mega broken Nightmare [:

How To Build Nightmares The Process {;

The team was built around the nightmare himself!

Since I wanted to go support my monster, I then added something to abuse u turn spammers and knock off spammers. Also have a fantastic rock setter, can't get any better then bulky chomp

After this, I realized that the team was quite weak to Mega Diancie, Azumurill, Mega Altaria, especially Mega Altaria and Azu. Ferro fit perfectly as a glue to abuse more u turn spammers with barbs and switch into any fairy type attack.

I now wanted a mon to destroy/scare offensive teams that would appreciate hoopa and aid it immensely, after testing I realized that hoopa appreciated Volt-Turn alot and the best mon for the job would be Mega Manectric, who outspeeds the dangerous S Rank torn t and is able to kill non av variants and again able to punish the physical attackers my hoopa fears with intimidate.

Looking at my team, I realized that I would needed something to handle mega sableye and most importantly hippodown and sand abuse. I as well needed a Soft Check For DD Mega X. Banded Azu Fit Perfectly Helping My Favorite Core of Fairy,Dark,Dragon

Finally, I wanted an answer to spa spammers such as latios, starmie, nidoking, mega alakazam, and not let my Hoopa take damage just in case I need it late game. I also wanted another mon to keep out momentum so my hoopa can again get free switch's also needed a keldeo "switch in" but sadly I have Hurr-Dodge so it can set up if u have trained it well [: Anyway, Torn Was The Perfect Last Mon for this team.

Teh WeekEND (Manectric) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
My favorite mon to use on ho, Mega Manectric. Although hippodown is popular lately, I chose to go with this set for a few reasons. First of all, Hoopa struggles a ton vs hyper offensive teams that usually 2/3 of the members will out speed it, and manectric is usually a good check to most offensive mon's. The volt switch pressure and nice coverage can't get any better then it is [:
One Last Thing, I prefer flamethrower over overheat for this team and in general usually. I have been in situations were a Ferro and Azu would be left for my opponent. If i had overheat then ferro would die ofc, but the azu at max health would live and unless t bolt crit would live and revenge kill me off. So, to avoid losing to that clean grass/water core I prefer thrower. Some of you may say but you may not kill Mega Metagross well usually and hopefully if a mega meta comes in ill just volt go to ferro or chomp to ensure its now in flamethrower/t-bolt range.

Move Analysis:

Volt Switch
Momentum.
Thunderbolt
I am not in the rain.
Flamethrower
Steel Types GTFO.
Hidden Power [Ice]
*Sigh Bulky Chomp Lives.

bIG seaN (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 76 HP / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- U-turn
The Mega Venusaur Switch In Himself. Tornadus-T a pretty S-Rank great mon in this meta, not only does it have barely have any clean switch ins to his if it hits spammable Hurricane Stab, He outspeeds and can revenge kill a clean number of the meta. The only thing that outspeeds it that isn't a mega or scarf that is actually good in this meta is Weaville, which is pretty phenomenal.

Move Analysis:

Hurricane
Don't You Dare Say Run Air Slash.
Superpower
I rather not miss FB and Cane. I know it barely does anything but it does enough to aid my Manectric and others.
Knock Off
Clefable Needs To Lose Them God Damn Leftiez [:
U-turn
Momentum.

dRake (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 32 HP / 48 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse

Don't Go To Sleep [:, The Nightmare Of The OU Meta Himself HOOPA-UNBOUND. Mega Hoopa is a pretty good mega mon in this meta, THERE ARE ZERO SWITCH INS. Unlike Lando I it has 4 moveslots :P. This set is only walled/switch in is Mandibuzz. I could go on about this nightmare but all you have to do is use it to understand its effect. Let me explain the EV's though this set was given to me by my great friend I ABR I. These EV's were originally for a sticky web team he built for hoopa but I loved them so much I never changed. The 32 HP is for LO Number very handy when hoopa is like at 1 percent and u want to have a fodder later on. 48 Atk Guarantees after stealth rock Chansey will be 2hko by drain punch and Heatran will be 2hko without rocks. With 252 Spa Hoopa 2hko's Tornadus-T after rocks with Shock which is always funny cause when people see dark pulse when it hits their hippo or bulky chomp they scramble to torn thinking its safe [: The Speed is to make sure Jolly Base 70's such as Bisharp will not take me down.

Move Analysis:

Gunk Shot
Faries. HAHAHAHA
Drain Punch
What is this pursuit thing you speak of?
Psyshock
Lati Bro's Admire Me [:
Dark Pulse
Hippo walling my Hoopa and Manectric. Heh.
Shout Out To Rocky Helmet Recoil [:

Kanye West-Grad (Garchomp) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
Bisharp Threat Check. Talonflame Check. Lopunny Check. Metagross Check. Shuffler For My Rocks and Spikes Check. Ground Type To Annoy Specs Switchers Like Raikou Check. Make Weaville Not Want To Click Knock Off Check. BD Azu Check.

Move Analysis:
Stealth Rock
Arguably The Best Move In The Game
Dragon Tail
Everyday im shuffling.
Earthquake
Got To Use That Nice Stab
Fire Blast
Balloon Drill and Ferro no one likes you [:

Rae Mmurd (Azumarill) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
Next up is Azu I chose him because I didn't want sand to eat me alive and I needed something to scare out hippo something to force the lati's not to spam draco and as well have some have priority so mons like sd rp lando t won't completely wrekt me. I run enough speed to outspeed common belly drum azu's and the rest goes into hp [:

Aqua Jet
Priority Needs To Come Somewhere [:
Waterfall
It's A Stab [:
Knock Off
Too Many Shedninja Teams ;.;
Play Rough
Nothing Bad About Dat Fairy Stab Spam

mEEK [Died In Canada] mILL (Ferrothorn) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Spikes​
Now I needed a Fairy Type Switch In Simple as that but I didn't want a mon like tran thats weak to water/ground or a mon like skarm thats weak to water/electric. I needed as well something for the "Ban Worthy Manaphy" which is hilarious that people want it banned but not going to get into that. I use to have lefties on this ferro but I noticed after watching ladder hero costa use zone and altaria which hasn't been that common lately. Make good work with it, I didn't want to get destroyed by the core of zone [insert stuff that gets bodied by ferro] so sense I have no protect on my ferro and found leftiaes not that helpful at times. The shed shell has made wins against zone teams ez. I have a replay below against wctltd [We Came To Lose To Drake] WCAR [:

Leech Seed
Drake Took His Life Song At A Time
Gyro Ball
Meek Shouldn't Have Released That Weak Song so fast *smh
Power Whip
Drake Whipped Weak Meek Into Shape
Spikes
Drake is a hazard to Meek's Health [:

I wanna thank you so much for reading! I wanna give big shoutout to my boy invok3r for making a great rmt that I had to follow in his footsteps. I decided on the rap theme cause of invok3r as well loving the rap game so much we always have discussions about rappers and who's on top right now. We will miss you buddy hope you come back soon [: I am extremely happy to get high on ladder, I know the ladder means nothing but me coming from being a scrub and always wanting to top ladder its great to hit ur goals. Down below are the importable, shoutouts, and replays showing how to use the team [:

Last edited:

njnp

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-254003694
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-253910024
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-255414496
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-255214993

Shoutouts: Mattybrollic,Invok3r,Chainy,OML It's Too Ez,Johnxyiu,Alkov, I ABR I, Chrump Eevee,Alkov,Somalia, thepdcshow, Bludz, Pomman, Archphantom, Mack Bus and many many more I am sry I didn't Add

If you use the team plz keep the nicknames

Importable:

Teh WeekEND (Manectric) @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

bIG seaN (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- U-turn

dRake (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Life Orb
EVs: 32 HP / 48 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Rae Mmurd (Azumarill) @ Choice Band
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

mEEK [Died In Canada] mILL (Ferrothorn) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Spikes

Last edited:
Okay time for an actual rating:

1.) Volt-turn is one of if not the best way to support Hoop-U. Torn and Manectric force plenty of switches granting you momentum to unleash the monster that is Hoopa. What's so fantastic about your Hoopa spread and move pool is that it hits so hard and its coverage is fantastic, allowing you to just spam attacks rather than make more careful predictions.

2.) Hazard stacking + Mega Manectric is very effective against the majority of play styles, and you have Azumarill and Torn-T to check rain and sand.

3.) I noticed that this team is somewhat weak to opposing hazards. Mega Mane is susceptible to all forms of hazards which puts somewhat of a stop to volt-turn. There is no hazard removal/prevention at all what so ever. For that reason, I suggest that you consider Cobalion > Garchomp and Starmie/Latios > Azumarill. Cobalion can provide you with rocks, and volt switching momentum as well as being a great check to Weavile without Azu on the team. Starmie and Latios are fantastic checks to Keldeo which the team has very limited switch ins for, and they are also able to remove hazards for the rest of the team. Without Azu you become very weak to Sand offense, but in that case you can always run a physically defensive Starmie to check common sand mons like Hippo and Drill. I think your team is better in its current form, but feel free to consider my suggestions, especially if you are experiencing trouble against hazard stacking teams.

Overall: Very solid team and helpful guide to utilizing the somewhat tricky to use, Hoopa-Unbound. You fully deserved all of your ladder accomplishments and I'm very proud of you, friend. =]

Looks like someone has done an RMT of half Voltturn half bulky offense before me. Well yeah about to make one tho if I get to make it work.

Well on a small change: a defogger like Latias over SR Chomp? This way, it's going to give you a better hazards match which can be painful for Voltturn. Otherwise...

Great team!

Yo i saw this team on the ladder and got bodied by that Hoopa set oml. Not really any suggestions that I can recommend since it looks like everything contributes equally to the teams success. Only a few massive threats I can see in hazard stacking teams, FBlast DD Malt and HP Fire Garde. Not really much you could do stop them besides outplaying. (For real tho Drake actually ate on that beat)

Hi man, nice team and nice peak as well.

Speaking about your team I think there isn't much to change but I guess you can try some other options that may or may not make it better (you should try them in the long run). I'd try AV Azumarill instead ur CB variant as it can take hits like Keldeo or Kingdra (just to make some examples) way better, you have already Hoopa to break holes in opposing teams and the double AV core would allow you to have a better defensive core with Garchomp and Ferrothorn giving your team hazards support, a Belly Drum set is also smth you could try. Next, I don't think you need Superpower that much on your Tornadus as Tyranitar and Heatran, Superpower's main targets, are already covered p well between Azumarill, Garchomp, Ferrothorn (Tyranitar) and Hoopa hits hard both anyways, Heat Wave is probably smth I'd try to avoid that Mega Scizor sets up on your Tornadus and to hit Ferrothorn / Skarmory as well (they can both be annoying as your team doesn't like hazards too much). Finally, other things you can try are Protect instead of Power Whip on Ferrothorn as it allows you to recover some HPs more easily (although Power Whip is useful against Manaphy and other stuff like Mega Gyarados) and a faster Garchomp as well, I mean just a bit faster maybe to outspeed other Fat Chomps, that just a small nitpick anyways though. Thats all I had to say for now, gl with your team!

how do you deal with life orb kyurem-b? I have been playing a few games with this team and there really is no answer to that mon. Other than that, really solid team. I tested out Heat Wave>Super power on Tornadus and I definitely recommend you try it yourself.

edit: im an idiot for forgetting about ferro, but ferro can't still cant switch into kyu-b

Last edited:

njnp

how do you deal with life orb kyurem-b? I have been playing a few games with this team and there really is no answer to that mon. Other than that, really solid team. I tested out Heat Wave>Super power on Tornadus and I definitely recommend you try it yourself.

edit: im an idiot for forgetting about ferro, but ferro can't still cant switch into kyu-b
I have played kyurem b 5 times or more dont recall losing to a team with it, just make sure hazards are up play around with its lo recoil but usually ferro is my kyub switch in and nobody is real enough to run hp fire [:

Replay Number 4 Is A Good Example

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey :]
Excellent looking team, I tested it a bit and it played great.

1 suggestion I have: On Torn-T, Heat Wave > Superpower. Heat wave is an excellent coverage move, destroying steels that aren't heatran (and superpower doesn't do much anyways), and in general just a solid move. It also gives you 3 ways to kill sheddy :]. Besides that, yes you lose out on some rock coverage I guess but really that's not relevant because superpower really isn't gonna OHKO or even 2HKO most rock types and the SE will OHKO you right back so you won't be staying in.
Also, I disagree with AV Azu. Band power is too much to give up.

Again, great team mate. Shoot for #1!

Played against this team a bunch of times with various M-Sableye balance/stalls and you seriously struggle to deal with the mixed defensive utility set. Nothing can switch into WoW or Knock Off, and it can evenly decently check Hoopa; generally in my games the opponent resorts to getting Torn in and trying to Hurricane through. Compounding that, both your hazard setters can't touch Sableye, and without hazard removal and a fairly hazard weak team, it's just a losing matchup.

Anyway this isn't a full rate, because it's a pretty solid team already, but I think LO Tornadus-T and BD Azumarill would be more effective. The quicker this team wins, the better, and so I like the increased pressure (especially from Torn, because Hurricane-spam wears down bulky teams so easily). BD Azumarill is just because every time I've faced the team I've been really glad to've been facing CB. It gives up a lot of momentum and doesn't really help wallbreak - I get the extra revenge killing ability but between your two super fast mons and your bulky core I don't know that it's necessary.

Btw you could probably just try Starmie > Azumarill and keep AV Torn. Ferro + Torn is good enough vs Latios, and you won't straight up lose to even HP Fire versions. As is though the hazard / M-Sable weakness is hurting the team much more.

njnp

Played against this team a bunch of times with various M-Sableye balance/stalls and you seriously struggle to deal with the mixed defensive utility set. Nothing can switch into WoW or Knock Off, and it can evenly decently check Hoopa; generally in my games the opponent resorts to getting Torn in and trying to Hurricane through. Compounding that, both your hazard setters can't touch Sableye, and without hazard removal and a fairly hazard weak team, it's just a losing matchup.

Anyway this isn't a full rate, because it's a pretty solid team already, but I think LO Tornadus-T and BD Azumarill would be more effective. The quicker this team wins, the better, and so I like the increased pressure (especially from Torn, because Hurricane-spam wears down bulky teams so easily). BD Azumarill is just because every time I've faced the team I've been really glad to've been facing CB. It gives up a lot of momentum and doesn't really help wallbreak - I get the extra revenge killing ability but between your two super fast mons and your bulky core I don't know that it's necessary.

Btw you could probably just try Starmie > Azumarill and keep AV Torn. Ferro + Torn is good enough vs Latios, and you won't straight up lose to even HP Fire versions. As is though the hazard / M-Sable weakness is hurting the team much more.

Mega Sableye has never been a threat or a worry when playing against it cause usually players play so basic its easy to hax/break the core [: as switching azu to starmie it is a option but id rather use to hazard spiking then to sand. Now, bulky chomp technically can touch sab my pressuring it with dragon tail. I was in a match vs shedninja stall and it came down to d tail or not to d tail cause if I got rocks up it was a wrap. Just gotta play smart and make plays and u should be fine. vs stall with this team I have been usually on the winning side but it isn't easy at all.

m zard x just streamrolls through this team once azu is weakened.it can set up on m man ferro torn t and even hoopa u by forcing it out. i guess lando t(defensive ) over tank chomp can somewhat help.

m zard x just streamrolls through this team once azu is weakened.it can set up on m man ferro torn t and even hoopa u by forcing it out. i guess lando t(defensive ) over tank chomp can somewhat help.
Ive Seen him Play vs zard x he doesnt let it Set up he plays smart

njnp

Should show you how I handle zard x

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hey wassup man ! finally got some time to rate this team sorry for delay. Well let's go to the point, first thing i've notice this team is a bit random in the sense that it look very offensive but at the end i saw a Ferrothorn, i dont tell you is bad its just weird. Anyways i found a couple weakness in your team as every team of course, your team is very annoy by Volt-Turn cores that involves opposing Mega Man which 6-0 you, another issue i found is Weavile only if he had a free switch because nothing on your team is capable to take 2 hits, and last without digging to much is Mega Alt + Magnezone core ( if Ferro lost his item), after +1 run though your team, in general set up sweepers are very dangerous for your team. I gonna give a couple suggestions that might help you a bit
  • Add Klefki > Ferrothorn, this give you spikes as well and threat every set up mon due to priority t-wave, with this change your team look a bit weak to Diancie but Klefki can take a hit and magnet rise afterward, still dangerous but is more helpful than Ferrothorn imo.
  • Ik you dont wanna miss Focus Blast but i think you should risk it, because the damage output is way more significaly than a Timid Superpower.
  • And last i considered Scarf Hoopa as your revenge killer rather then your wallbreaker simple because to handle opposing mega man
Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Flash Cannon
hope i help you bro !

yo Fren, rly nice Team u got there. Ill not actually rate this, just wanted to say that there are options given by smogon when u write a text to cross and/or bold something. Idk why it shouldnt work. And a lil mistake, u explained in ur hoopa spread "to outspeed Base 80's like bisharp". Thats actually the biggest mistake i cud find in your RMT besides your M CharX weakness :D ill definitly try it when im home :]

sry if i made any mistakes im still learnin english haha

Stealth Rock > Spikes on Ferro. Spikes is useless against Flying/Levitate Mons, and although it can layer up, a defog can easily deem that 3-turn setup pointless.

Hey, I know this is an older thread, but I really love hoopa-unbound and this team in general. Curious though, if I were to recreate this team on wifi, what ev spread should I use? Everything except manectric has a non 252/252/4 spread in order to live a certain hit, _HKO a certain mon, or outspeed this or that. Can someone provide me with spreads to use at level 50 that achieve the same effect? Much obliged.

Oh also maybe some hazard removal would be nice as you have a volt/turn core and no way of removing entry hazards. Just a thought.

i think u should run klefki over ferro like i used the same team as u when i heard hoopa-u was going to be realeased but run klefki over ferrothorn

Klefki @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam
- Magnet Rise

but if u want the full team when hoopa was going to be realeased i made this it is:

Manectric @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- U-turn

bando (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Hyperspace Fury
- Fire Punch

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

Klefki @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam
- Magnet Rise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)