Gliscor

Finishing this up for SM979
Approved by Hulavuta

[OVERVIEW]

Gliscor's natural bulk and fair defensive typing let it easily handle Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Mega Heracross, and Electric-types lacking a Water- or Ice-type coverage move. Gliscor can also beat common Pokemon such as Garchomp and Heatran thanks to its good physical bulk and STAB Earthquake. Its Guillotine is pretty spammable once everything immune to it is gone, as Gliscor's good defensive typing, its good bulk, and the constant recovery from Poison Heal give it many opportunities to use it. Gliscor can also be a great status absorber due to Poison Heal, which, in tandem with a Toxic Orb, renders it effectively immune to other status effects. However, Gliscor has a 4x weakness to Ice-type attacks, which gives it trouble in the face of attacks such as Glalie's Frost Breath, Thundurus's Hidden Power Ice, and Mamoswine's Icicle Spear and Ice Shard, and it is easily overwhelmed by special attackers such as Gengar, Rotom-W, and Aegislash because of its subpar Special Defense.

[SET]
name: Poison Healer
move 1: Protect
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Guillotine / Toxic
item: Toxic Orb
ability: Poison Heal
nature: Impish
evs: 228 HP / 68 Def / 212 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

In combination with Toxic Orb and Poison Heal, Gliscor can effectively stall out the foe. Protect allows Gliscor to scout the foe and activate Toxic Orb after a turn passes. Substitute enables Gliscor to protect itself from status and from any physical attackers that can't break its Substitute. Poison Heal offsets the health loss of Substitute after two turns, meaning Gliscor hasn't lost any health after using the combination of the two. Albeit uninvested, Earthquake hits common Pokemon that are weak to it, such as Mega Charizard X, Mega Gengar, Mega Blaziken, Heatran, and Aegislash, for decent damage. Guillotine, despite being highly inaccurate, hits what Earthquake cannot. Its main use is to OHKO non-Sturdy users, non-Ghost-type Levitate users, and Flying-type Pokemon, as well as bulkier Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan, Chansey, Blissey, and Suicune. Toxic can be used over Guillotine, as it is more reliable for beating defensive Pokemon, but Guillotine's ability to OHKO foes on the spot is highly preferred.

Set Details
========

212 EVs are invested into Speed to allow Gliscor to outspeed maximum Speed Heatran. 228 HP EVs with an Impish nature increase Gliscor's physical bulk, allowing it to take many hits from other physical attackers and assist with Poison Heal recovery and Substitute usage. The remaining 68 EVs are invested into Defense to increase Gliscor's physical walling capabilities as much as possible. Toxic Orb activates Poison Heal, which helps replenish Gliscor's health every turn and further aids Gliscor's stalling capabilities. Gliscor can also activate Toxic Orb by switching into other attackers to tank their hits.

Usage Tips
========

Gliscor's most common role is stalling. It has many positive matchups against faster physical attackers, allowing Gliscor to easily set up a Substitute and putting it in a great position to use Guillotine. However, when looking at Team Preview, be very careful when you see Mega Kangaskhan, Pokemon that can carry Hyper Voice such as Sylveon, Chandelure with Infiltrator, and any Pokemon that has a chance of carrying an Ice-type attack. Gliscor should always use Protect as its first move in order to scout the foe's move and have Toxic Orb activate. If using Toxic instead of Guillotine, Gliscor can inflict Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Talonflame with poison and stall them out by alternating between Protect and Substitute.

Team Options
========

Chansey and Blissey have great Special Defense to help back up Gliscor's weaker Special Defense stat, forming an excellent defensive core. Additionally, because most Water- and Ice-type attacks are special moves, they have an easy time switching into threats that Gliscor can't handle. Water-type Pokemon such as Slowbro, Mega Slowbro, Suicune, and Rotom-W can also switch into the Water- and Ice-type attacks that threaten Gliscor. Mega Venusaur can switch into Water-type attacks that threaten Gliscor and provides Leech Seed support, letting Gliscor continuously wear down the foe and stall it without having to resort to Guillotine. Klefki has good defensive synergy with Gliscor, being able to switch into the Ice-type attacks aimed at Gliscor while Gliscor can freely switch into Ground-type attacks aimed at Klefki. Klefki either can utilize the combination of Swagger and Thunder Wave so that Gliscor has a safer time spamming Guillotine or can set up dual screens so that the opponent's Pokemon have a harder time breaking past Gliscor. Gliscor has good defensive synergy with Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Ferrothorn, making them good teammates. Pokemon with Toxic support let Gliscor stall out Pokemon that would otherwise be a threat to it. Pokemon such as Zapdos and Suicune can normally waste Guillotine's PP faster due to Pressure, and having them poisoned reflects the pressure back to the opponent.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Rock Tomb hits Pokemon that are immune to Earthquake, such as Mega Charizard Y, Mega Pinsir, and Talonflame, and provides speed control, but it doesn't have much use outside of that. Stealth Rock can be used to rack up damage on the opposing team from constant switches, although it's very rare and stalling is preferred. Gliscor is a passable stallbreaker, so it can utilize the combination of Taunt and Toxic to wear down common bulky Pokemon such as Chansey and Suicune. Ice Fang hits Pokemon such as Mega Salamence, Garchomp, Dragonite, and Landorus-T for decent damage, but it is significantly weaker than Earthquake and provides redundant coverage otherwise. Roost can be used as a reliable form of recovery. Gliscor has a very big movepool, so it can utilize moves such as Swords Dance, Acrobatics, Aerial Ace, Fling, Stone Edge, Knock Off, Baton Pass, and even Torment. Fling with Acrobatics deserves a special mention, as Gliscor can Fling a Toxic Orb onto the foe, badly poisoning it and doubling Acrobatics's power in the process.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Pokemon Immune to Earthquake and Guillotine**: Gengar's and Skarmory's typings and abilities make them immune to Toxic, Earthquake, and Guillotine. Air Balloon-wielding Ghost-types such as Aegislash are immune to Gliscor's Earthquake and Guillotine. Aegislash is also immune to Toxic, which only leaves Gliscor to set up Substitute and Protect. Aegislash can take advantage of that and use it as setup fodder. Chandelure, despite not having an immunity to Toxic, has Infiltrator, allowing it to bypass Gliscor's Substitute and deal damage to it. Mega Sableye is immune to Guillotine and takes little damage from Earthquake, which it can then heal off with Recover.

**Perish Song Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar outspeeds Gliscor and can keep it from switching out with Shadow Tag. After using Perish Song, Gengar can stall out Gliscor with Protect and Substitute and switch out. Mega Gengar is also immune to Guillotine.

**Hyper Voice**: Hyper Voice is dangerous to Gliscor, as it takes advantage of its lower Special Defense and bypasses its Substitute. Common users include Sylveon, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Altaria, and Mega Salamence. Sylveon is particularly threatening, as it can OHKO Gliscor if it is equipped with a Choice Specs. These all, however, need to watch out for Guillotine.

**Pokemon With Strong Water- and Ice-type Attacks**: Pokemon such as Suicune and Thundurus have enough power to OHKO Gliscor with super effective Scald and Hidden Power Ice, respectively. Both can switch into Earthquake with ease but must be wary of Guillotine. Albeit uncommon, Mega Kangaskhan can use Ice Punch, which OHKOes Gliscor if it's not behind a Substitute and 2HKOes Gliscor if it is behind one. Cloyster and Mamoswine have access to Icicle Spear, which is able to break Gliscor's Substitutes and hit it for super effective damage after doing so. Cloyster easily OHKOes Gliscor no matter the circumstance because of Skill Link, but Mamoswine needs at least three hits in order to at least have a chance to OHKO. Cresselia and Porygon2 can set up Trick Room while Gliscor uses Protect and can OHKO it with Ice Beam. Porygon2 also has Trace, which can copy Poison Heal, making Toxic from Gliscor useless.

**Taunt and Encore Users**: Taunt users such as Gyarados, Talonflame, Gengar, and Thundurus can all keep Gliscor from stalling them out. Talonflame and Gengar have no trouble outspeeding Gliscor, and Gyarados is able to beat Gliscor with its STAB moves. Thundurus deserves a special mention because its Prankster Taunt shuts down most of Gliscor's moves, forcing it to use Guillotine. All of the threats mentioned above are immune to Earthquake as well. Mega Alakazam, Whimsicott, and Liepard can use Encore to lock Gliscor into one of its status moves. Mega Alakazam has Trace, which can copy Gliscor's Poison Heal, making it effectively immune to Toxic. Whimsicott has Prankster and can set up Substitute while Gliscor is locked into a move. It can spam Moonblast and use Leech Seed, depleting Gliscor of its HP. Liepard also has Prankster and can damage Gliscor as well, forcing it to switch out.

**Phazers**: Skarmory and Suicune can both disrupt Gliscor's stalling capabilities with Whirlwind and Roar, respectively, as both attacks can go through Gliscor's Substitute. Skarmory is unaffected by any of Gliscor's moves, and Suicune can cure itself of poison with Rest, but it must be wary of Guillotine.

Last edited:
I think I implemented everything.

I'll need some assistance with the EVs. I know I don't really use Gliscor but this along with the Set Details feels so inconsistent to me. I mean I can understand in a situation with Glalie, but against a Mamoswine, a definite no. Icicle Spear can break through its Substitute and it has Ice Shard in the process. Gliscor still doesn't have a chance against Scarf Mamo either unless it's locked into Earthquake or any of its non STAB attacks. I'm starting to see Choice Scarf Mamo here and there as of late and I've been using it myself.

I don't necessarily like running Speed on Gliscor but that's just me. I prefer to abuse its defensive stat and take continuous hits.

Tell me if there's anything else I need to add or fix. ^^

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I had to come up with a Gliscor spread for someone in the teambuilding thread since theirs was weird too. I came up with 204 HP / 76 Def / 228 Spe with Impish, so yours isn't that far off. I dropped down to 228 speed since it outpaces max speed, neutral natured (non Scarf) Lando-T, and nothing between it and Gliscor's max is worth outspeeding. You could drop speed even lower (to the Rotom formes) if you wanted, nothing really relevant in between them and landog.

HP should not be higher than 204 since that gives 176 HP, which is divisible by 8 and thus gives the most efficient recovery from Poison Heal. 204 HP / 76 Def also gives more physical bulk than 252 HP / 12 Def. If you drop speed EVs they should then go into Def to beef that up...

I also think the move order should be 1) Protect, 2) Substitute, 3) Earthquake, 4) Guillotine. It needs to be from most important to least important, and having Protect last doesn't sit right with me. You should be spamming / alternating Protect + Substitute 95% of the time with Gliscor anyway, and Protect is always the first used move so you can get the Toxic Orb activation right away. One might argue a case for Substitute going first since then you can let the timer do the work for you and auto-pick Sub, which is safer as Protect can fail if used in succession, but I don't like talking about that too much in analyses..

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually, it's more optimal to NOT have 8n HP, as it lowers your HP for no real reason. It's more optimal to have 8n + 1~3, which heals the amount lost by subbing in two turns anyway. 8n is only important if you're not subprotecting, in which case it optimizes the recovery aspect alone, which this Gliscor set doesn't require. All it needs is for 2 toxic heals = sub damage to effectively stall.

Therefore I suggest 228 HP EVs, which gives it 179 HP (8n+3, 44 HP subs and 22 HP toxic heals). The speed is pretty flexible, but 212 -228 seems nice. 212 outspeeds max heatrans. The rest into physical defense is fine.

And here are all the viable threats that I can come up with right now: taunt users (Gyarados, Talonflame, Thundurus, Gengar), Air Balloon Ghosts (Aegislash, Chandelure - especially with infiltrator), Snarl Mega Sableye, other Hyper Voice users (Mega Gardevoir, Mega Altaria, Mega Salamence), Encore pokemon (Whimsicott, Liepard, Mega Alakazam), Perish Song Mega Gengar, Skill Swap, Trick Room + Ice Beam (Cresselia and Pory2 can easily do that on a protect)

To a lesser extent I guess Mega Heracross (does like 45%), and phazers (forces you to switch just when you sub and at 75%) are an issue as well.

Last edited:
This is just a minor nitpick but I think Checks & Counters can be condensed a lot as it's so long rn.

A lot of things can be put together. Mamo & Cloyster can be put in the water/ice section. Cress and P2 with ice beam could be there as well maybe.
Taunt and encore could be put together, maybe even phazing as well.
Air Balloon ghosts can go with skarm and gengar, and just label it pokemon that are immune or whatever, something like that. and the mention of perish song & hex gengar could go up there maybe. at least have one thing for "mega gengar". two different mentions of two different mega gengar sets is just cluttering up the C&C section.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Looks good. QC Approved 4/4 (confirmed in locked analysis that I didn't check this already)

This should be ready for GP.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
gottem, wouldn't wanna miss out on a gliscor

remove
add (Capitalize; Fix)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
[OVERVIEW] (<- unbold these please)

Gliscor's natural bulk and fair defensive typing lets let it easily handle Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Mega Heracross, and Electric-types lacking a Water- or Ice-type coverage move. Gliscor can also beat common Pokemon such as Garchomp and Heatran thanks to its good physical bulk and STAB Earthquake, respectively. (or remove "common Pokemon such as", but makes more sense to remove this) Its Guillotine attack is pretty spammable once everything immune to it is gone, as Gliscor's Ground / Flying good defensive typing, (AC) and its good bulk, (AC) gives it many free opportunities to use Guillotine, and Gliscor can constantly heal itself with and the consistent recovery from (constant = all the time, consistent = progressing in the same manner) Poison Heal give it many opportunities to use it. Gliscor can also be a great status absorber due to Poison Heal, which in tandem with a Toxic Orb renders it effectively immune to other status effects. (or however you want to word it; in any case this more accurate. Moved it here because it was out of place among its negatives) However, Gliscor can be exploited by common Pokemon such as Suicune. Gliscor and pretty much relies on Guillotine not missing to reliably do part of its job; the other part switching into Pokemon it walls and using Earthquake to slowly wear them down. (this seems out of place here and doesn't look too important because you've touched upon it already; if you do want to keep it, make sure you add an "is" after "part" because it doesn't have a main verb rn) Gliscor can be a great status absorber due to Poison Heal, as it can absorb anything that poisons it. Gliscor also has a 4x weakness to Ice-type attacks, which gives it trouble against Pokemon in the face of attacks such as Glalie's Frost Breath, Thundurus's Hidden Power Ice, and Mamoswine's Icicle Spear and Ice Shard, and it is also easily (or "can be overwhelmed" or something) overwhelmed by special attackers such as Mega Gengar, Rotom-W, and Aegislash because of its subpar Special Defense.

[SET]
move 4: Guillotine

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Protect lets and Substitute let (less repetitive, and they function as a combo anyways) Gliscor stall for time, scout the foe, and stall the foe's PP. Substitute lets Gliscor stall some time and scout the foe. In combination with Toxic Orb (RC) and Poison Heal, and Protect, Gliscor can effectively stall out the foe's PP, allowing for easier uses use of Guillotine. Albeit uninvested, Earthquake is a powerful STAB attack that hits common Pokemon that are weak to it, such as Mega Charizard X, Mega Gengar, Mega Blaziken, Heatran, and Aegislash, for decent damage. Guillotine, despite being 30 percent accurate highly inaccurate, (or at least add "only" before 30pct, but the percentage doesn't add anything of value here so I'd rather see it removed) hits what Earthquake cannot. Its main use is to OHKO non-Sturdy users, non-Ghost-type Levitate users, and Flying-type Pokemon, as well as bulkier Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan, Chansey, Blissey, and Suicune. Similarly to Substitute, (in what sense? I'm not following) Toxic can be used over Guillotine, as it is more reliable for beating defensive Pokemon, but Guillotine's ability to OHKO foes on the spot is much more highly preferred.

Set Details
========

228 HP and 68 Def EVs with an Impish nature increases increase Gliscor's physical bulk, allowing it to take many hits from other physical attackers. The remaining 212 EVs are invested into Speed to allow for Gliscor to outspeed maximum Speed Heatran. Toxic Orb activates Poison Heal, which helps replenish Gliscor's health every turn. With Poison Heal, this further helps with and further aids Gliscor's stalling capabilities. Gliscor can also switch into other attackers for it to tank hits and Toxic Orb can be activated that way activate Toxic Orb by switching into other attackers to tank their hits.

Usage Tips
========

Gliscor's most common role is timer stalling. It has many matchups against Pokemon, which has Gliscor behind a Substitute at the end of a turn puts Gliscor in a great position to use Guillotine. (looks like something went wrong here, so please rewrite this bit) However, when looking at the Team Preview, be very careful when you see Mega Kangaskhan, Pokemon that can potentially carry Hyper Voice, and any Pokemon that has a chance of carrying an Ice-type attack. Gliscor should always use Protect in order to scout the foe's move and for have Toxic Orb to activate, giving it recovery from Poison Heal. The Protect + Toxic + Substitute + Poison Heal combo combination allows Gliscor to stall out foes such as Mega Blaziken that isn't aren't carrying Swords Dance, Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Talonflame.

Team Options
========

Chansey and Blissey have great Special Defense to help back up Gliscor's weaker Special Defense stat, providing forming an excellent defensive core. Since Additionally, because most Water- and Ice-type attacks are special, they have an easy time switching into things threats Gliscor can't handle. Water-type Pokemon such as Slowbro, Mega Slowbro, Suicune, and Rotom-W can also switch into the Water- and Ice-type attacks that threaten Gliscor. Mega Venusaur can switch into Water-type attacks that threaten Gliscor (RC) and provides Leech Seed support, letting Gliscor continuously wear down the foe and stall them without having to resort to Guillotine. Klefki has good defensive synergy with Gliscor, being able to switch into the Ice-type attacks aimed at Gliscor (RC) and Gliscor getting free switch ins to while Gliscor can freely switch into Ground-type attacks aimed at Klefki. Klefki either can either utilize the combination of Swagger and Thunder Wave so that Gliscor has a safer time spamming Guillotine (RC) or can utilize set up dual screens so that the opponent's Pokemon have a harder time breaking past Gliscor. Gliscor has good defensive synergy with Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Ferrothorn, so they are making them good teammates. Pokemon with Toxic support let Gliscor stall out Pokemon that would otherwise be a threat to it, as having it makes preserving Guillotine's PP easier. (clarify this please because I'm not sure what you're getting at) Pokemon such as Zapdos or and Suicune can normally waste Guillotine's PP faster due to Pressure, and having them poisoned reflects the pressure back to the opponent.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Rock Tomb hits Pokemon that are immune to Earthquake, such as Mega Charizard Y, Mega Pinsir, and Talonflame (RC) and provides speed control, but it doesn't have much use outside of that. Stealth Rock sets up an entry hazard on the opponent's end, racking can be used to rack up damage on the opposing team. Gliscor is a mediocre passable ("mediocre" has a strong connotation "bad," and if this is what you were going for you should either elaborate on why it shouldn't be used or just not mention it at all) stallbreaker, and thus it can utilize the combination of Taunt + Toxic to wear down common bulky Pokemon such as Chansey and Suicune. Ice Fang hits Pokemon such as Mega Salamence, Garchomp, and Landorus-T for decent damage, but it is significantly weaker than Earthquake and provides redundant coverage otherwise. Roost can be used as a reliable form of recovery. Gliscor has a very big movepool, so it can utilize moves such as Swords Dance, Acrobatics, Aerial Ace, Fling, Stone Edge, Knock Off, Baton Pass, and even Torment. Fling + Acrobatics deserves a special mention, as Gliscor can Fling a Toxic Orb onto the foe, badly poisoning it (RP) and doubling Acrobatics's power in the process. will double after using Fling to get rid of Gliscor's item, causing more damage.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Gengar, Skarmory, Air Balloon Ghost-types, and Mega Sableye**: Gengar's and Skarmory's typing and ability make them immune to Toxic, Earthquake, and Guillotine. Air Balloon-using Ghost-types such as Aegislash and Chandelure are both immune to Gliscor's Earthquake and Guillotine. Aegislash is also immune to Toxic, which only leaves Gliscor to set up Substitute and Protect. Aegislash can take advantage of that and use it as setup fodder. Chandelure, despite not having an immunity to Toxic, it has Infiltrator, which can bypass its allow it to bypass Gliscor's Substitute and deal damage to it. Mega Sableye is immune to Guillotine (RC) and only takes around 20 percent little damage from Earthquake, which it can then heal off with Recover.

**Perish Song Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar outspeeds Gliscor and can keep it from switching out with Shadow Tag. After using Perish Song, Gengar can stall out Gliscor with Protect + Substitute and switch out. Mega Gengar is also immune to Guillotine.

**Hyper Voice**: Choice Specs Sylveon OHKOes Gliscor with Pixilate Hyper Voice, and its mechanics let Sylveon hit through Gliscor's Substitute. Sylveon does, however, have to be wary of Guillotine. Mega Gardevoir and Mega Altaria also carries carry Pixilate. Mega Salamence has great Special Attack to utilize the move as well, (AC) and it's immune to Earthquake.

**Pokemon With Strong Water- and Ice-type Attacks**: Pokemon with strong Water- and Ice-type attacks, such as Suicune and Thundurus, have enough power to OHKO Gliscor. Both can switch into Earthquake with ease (RC) but must be wary of Guillotine. Albeit semi-rare, Mega Kangaskhan can use Ice Punch, which OHKOes Gliscor if not behind a Substitute and 2HKOes if behind one. Thundurus carries Hidden Power Ice, which has a 50 percent chance of OHKOing Gliscor at 252 HP even with full HP investment. Cloyster and Mamoswine have access to Icicle Spear, which is able to break Gliscor's Substitutes and hit it for super effective damage after doing so. Cloyster easily OHKOes Gliscor no matter the circumstance because of Skill Link, but Mamoswine needs at least three hits in order to at least have a chance to OHKO. Cresselia and Porygon2 can set up Trick Room while Gliscor uses Protect and can OHKO it with Ice Beam. Porygon2 also has the ability Trace, which can copy Poison Heal, making Toxic from Gliscor useless.

**Taunt and Encore Users**: Taunt users such as Gyarados, Talonflame, Gengar, and Thundurus can all keep Gliscor from stalling them out. Talonflame and Gengar have no trouble outspeeding Gliscor, (comma) and Gyarados is able to beat Gliscor with its STAB moves. Thundurus deserves a special mention because of its ability Prankster to shut down any of Gliscor's moves, forcing it to use Guillotine. All of the threats mentioned above are immune to Earthquake as well. Mega Alakazam, Whimsicott, and Liepard can use Encore to lock Gliscor into one of its status moves. Mega Alakazam has Trace, which can copy Gliscor's Poison Heal, making it effectively immune to Toxic. (it still gets inflicted, and it will be affected after it switches out) Whimsicott has Prankster and can set up Substitute while Gliscor is under Encore locked into a move. It can spam Moonblast and use Leech Seed, depleting Gliscor of its HP. Liepard also has Prankster and can damage Gliscor as well, forcing it to switch out.

**Phazers**: Skarmory and Suicune can both disrupt Gliscor's stalling capabilities with Whirlwind and Roar, respectively, as both attacks can go through Gliscor's Substitute. Skarmory is unaffected by any of Gliscor's moves, (AC) and Suicune can cure itself of poison with Rest, (AC) off poison status. Suicune but it must be wary of Guillotine.

GP 1/2
, lmk if you've got any questions!

Last edited:

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add
Remove

Comment

[OVERVIEW]

Gliscor's natural bulk and fair defensive typing let it easily handle Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Mega Heracross, and Electric-types lacking a Water- or Ice-type coverage move. Gliscor can also beat common Pokemon such as Garchomp and Heatran thanks to its good physical bulk and STAB Earthquake. Its Guillotine (/me double takes) attack is pretty spammable once everything immune to it is gone, as Gliscor's good defensive typing, its good bulk, and the consistent constant recovery from Poison Heal give it many opportunities to use it. Gliscor can also be a great status absorber due to Poison Heal, which, (AC) in tandem with a Toxic Orb, (AC) renders it effectively immune to other status effects. However, Gliscor can be exploited by common Pokemon such as Suicune and pretty much relies on Guillotine not missing to reliably do part of its job. (period) Gliscor also has a 4x weakness to Ice-type attacks, which gives it trouble in the face of attacks such as Glalie's Frost Breath, Thundurus's Hidden Power Ice, and Mamoswine's Icicle Spear and Ice Shard, and it is easily overwhelmed by special attackers such as Mega Gengar, Rotom-W, and Aegislash because of its subpar Special Defense.

[SET]
move 4: Guillotine

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Protect and Substitute let Gliscor stall for time, scout the foe, and stall the foe's PP. (period) In combination with Toxic Orb and Poison Heal, Gliscor can effectively stall out the foe's PP, allowing easier use of Guillotine. Albeit uninvested, Earthquake is a powerful STAB attack that hits common Pokemon that are weak to it, such as Mega Charizard X, Mega Gengar, Mega Blaziken, Heatran, and Aegislash, for decent damage. Guillotine, despite being highly inaccurate, hits what Earthquake cannot. Its main use is to OHKO non-Sturdy users, non-Ghost-type Levitate users, and Flying-type Pokemon, as well as bulkier Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan, Chansey, Blissey, and Suicune. Toxic can be used over Guillotine, as it is more reliable for beating defensive Pokemon, but Guillotine's ability to OHKO foes on the spot is highly preferred.

Set Details
========

228 HP and 68 Def EVs with an Impish nature increase Gliscor's physical bulk, allowing it to take many hits from other physical attackers. The remaining 212 EVs are invested into Speed to allow Gliscor to outspeed maximum Speed Heatran. Toxic Orb activates Poison Heal, which helps replenish Gliscor's health every turn and further aids Gliscor's stalling capabilities. Gliscor can also activate Toxic Orb by switching into other attackers to tank their hits.

Usage Tips
========

Gliscor's most common role is timer stalling (It doesn't bleed the clock dry). It has many positive matchups against faster physical attackers, which has allowing Gliscor behind a Substitute at the end of a turn to easily set up a Substitute (needed to clean this up for clarification) and puts Gliscor putting it in a great position to use Guillotine. However, when looking at Team Preview, be very careful when you see Mega Kangaskhan, Pokemon that can carry Hyper Voice, and any Pokemon that has a chance of carrying an Ice-type attack. Gliscor should always use Protect in order to scout the foe's move and have Toxic Orb activate. The Protect + Toxic + Substitute + Poison Heal combination allows Gliscor to stall out foes such as Mega Blaziken that aren't carrying Swords Dance, Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Talonflame.

Team Options
========

Chansey and Blissey have great Special Defense to help back up Gliscor's weaker Special Defense stat, forming an excellent defensive core. Additionally, because most Water- and Ice-type attacks are special moves, they have an easy time switching into threats that Gliscor can't handle. Water-type Pokemon such as Slowbro, Mega Slowbro, Suicune, and Rotom-W can also switch into the Water- and Ice-type attacks that threaten Gliscor. Mega Venusaur can switch into Water-type attacks that threaten Gliscor and provides Leech Seed support, letting Gliscor continuously wear down the foe and stall them it without having to resort to Guillotine. Klefki has good defensive synergy with Gliscor, being able to switch into the Ice-type attacks aimed at Gliscor, (AC) while Gliscor can freely switch into Ground-type attacks aimed at Klefki. Klefki either can utilize the combination of Swagger and Thunder Wave so that Gliscor has a safer time spamming Guillotine or can set up dual screens so that the opponent's Pokemon have a harder time breaking past Gliscor. Gliscor has good defensive synergy with Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Ferrothorn, making them good teammates. Pokemon with Toxic support let Gliscor stall out Pokemon that would otherwise be a threat to it. Pokemon such as Zapdos and Suicune can normally waste Guillotine's PP faster due to Pressure, and having them poisoned reflects the pressure back to the opponent.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Rock Tomb hits Pokemon that are immune to Earthquake, such as Mega Charizard Y, Mega Pinsir, and Talonflame, (AC) and provides speed control, but it doesn't have much use outside of that. Stealth Rock can be used to rack up damage on the opposing team. Gliscor is a passable stallbreaker, and thus so it can utilize the combination of Taunt + and Toxic to wear down common bulky Pokemon such as Chansey and Suicune. Ice Fang hits Pokemon such as Mega Salamence, Garchomp, and Landorus-T for decent damage, but it is significantly weaker than Earthquake and provides redundant coverage otherwise. Roost can be used as a reliable form of recovery. Gliscor has a very big movepool, so it can utilize moves such as Swords Dance, Acrobatics, Aerial Ace, Fling, Stone Edge, Knock Off, Baton Pass, and even Torment. Fling + with Acrobatics deserves a special mention, as Gliscor can Fling a Toxic Orb onto the foe, badly poisoning it and doubling Acrobatics's power in the process.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Gengar, Skarmory, Air Balloon Ghost-types with Air Balloon, and Mega Sableye**: Gengar's and Skarmory's typings and ability abilities make them immune to Toxic, Earthquake, and Guillotine. Air Balloon-usingwielding (subjective change) Ghost-types such as Aegislash and Chandelure are immune to Gliscor's Earthquake and Guillotine. Aegislash is also immune to Toxic, which only leaves Gliscor to set up Substitute and Protect. Aegislash can take advantage of that and use it as setup fodder. Chandelure, despite not having an immunity to Toxic, has Infiltrator, allowing it to bypass Gliscor's Substitute and deal damage to it. Mega Sableye is immune to Guillotine and only takes little damage from Earthquake, which it can then heal off with Recover.

**Perish Song Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar outspeeds Gliscor and can keep it from switching out with Shadow Tag. After using Perish Song, Gengar can stall out Gliscor with Protect + and Substitute and switch out. Mega Gengar is also immune to Guillotine.

**Hyper Voice**: Choice Specs Sylveon OHKOes Gliscor with Pixilate Hyper Voice, and its mechanics let Sylveon the move hits through Gliscor's Substitute. Sylveon does, however, have to be wary of Guillotine. Mega Gardevoir and Mega Altaria also carry Pixilate. Mega Salamence has great Special Attack to utilize the move as well, and it's immune to Earthquake.

**Pokemon With Strong Water- and Ice-type Attacks**: Pokemon with strong Water- and Ice-type attacks, such as Suicune and Thundurus, have enough power to OHKO Gliscor. Both can switch into Earthquake with ease but must be wary of Guillotine. Albeit semi-rare uncommon, Mega Kangaskhan can use Ice Punch, which OHKOes Gliscor if it's not behind a Substitute and 2HKOes Gliscor if it's behind one. Thundurus carries Hidden Power Ice, which has a 50% percent chance of OHKOing Gliscor even with full HP investment. Cloyster and Mamoswine have access to Icicle Spear, which is able to break Gliscor's Substitutes and hit it for super effective damage after doing so. Cloyster easily OHKOes Gliscor no matter the circumstance because of Skill Link, but Mamoswine needs at least three hits in order to at least have a chance to OHKO. Cresselia and Porygon2 can set up Trick Room while Gliscor uses Protect and can OHKO it with Ice Beam. Porygon2 also has the ability Trace, which can copy Poison Heal, making Toxic from Gliscor useless.

**Taunt and Encore Users**: Taunt users such as Gyarados, Talonflame, Gengar, and Thundurus can all keep Gliscor from stalling them out. Talonflame and Gengar have no trouble outspeeding Gliscor, and Gyarados is able to beat Gliscor with its STAB moves. Thundurus deserves a special mention because of its ability its Prankster to Taunt shuts down most any of Gliscor's moves, forcing it to use Guillotine. All of the threats mentioned above are immune to Earthquake as well. Mega Alakazam, Whimsicott, and Liepard can use Encore to lock Gliscor into one of its status moves. Mega Alakazam has Trace, which can copy Gliscor's Poison Heal, making it effectively immune to Toxic. Whimsicott has Prankster and can set up Substitute while Gliscor is locked into a move. It can spam Moonblast and use Leech Seed, depleting Gliscor of its HP. Liepard also has Prankster and can damage Gliscor as well, forcing it to switch out.

**Phazers**: Skarmory and Suicune can both disrupt Gliscor's stalling capabilities with Whirlwind and Roar, respectively, as both attacks can go through Gliscor's Substitute. Skarmory is unaffected by any of Gliscor's moves, and Suicune can cure itself of poison with Rest, but it must be wary of Guillotine.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey so I'm really sorry to be a party pooper but I have a number of issues with this analysis that I wanna hash out before it gets uploaded.

[OVERVIEW]

Gliscor's natural bulk and fair defensive typing let it easily handle Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Mega Heracross, and Electric-types lacking a Water- or Ice-type coverage move. Gliscor can also beat common Pokemon such as Garchomp and Heatran thanks to its good physical bulk and STAB Earthquake. Its Guillotine is pretty spammable once everything immune to it is gone, as Gliscor's good defensive typing, its good bulk, and the constant recovery from Poison Heal give it many opportunities to use it. Gliscor can also be a great status absorber due to Poison Heal, which, in tandem with a Toxic Orb, renders it effectively immune to other status effects. However, Gliscor can be exploited by common Pokemon such as Suicune and pretty much relies on Guillotine not missing to reliably do part of its job. Gliscor also has a 4x weakness to Ice-type attacks, which gives it trouble in the face of attacks such as Glalie's Frost Breath, Thundurus's Hidden Power Ice, and Mamoswine's Icicle Spear and Ice Shard, and it is easily overwhelmed by special attackers such as Mega Gengar, Rotom-W, and Aegislash because of its subpar Special Defense.
First off, why does Gliscor have trouble with Suicune? Is Suicune the only Pokemon like that? The bolded part about Guillotine doesn't really make sense either. Gliscor's job is to stall out physical attackers, not sit in front of something that threatens it and hope for a Guillotine hit. It should instead say something like "which means it needs to rely on Guillotine to have any chance of getting passed it."

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Protect and Substitute let Gliscor stall for time, scout the foe, and stall the foe's PP. In combination with Toxic Orb and Poison Heal, Gliscor can effectively stall out the foe's PP, allowing easier use of Guillotine. Albeit uninvested, Earthquake is a powerful STAB attack that hits common Pokemon that are weak to it, such as Mega Charizard X, Mega Gengar, Mega Blaziken, Heatran, and Aegislash, for decent damage. Guillotine, despite being highly inaccurate, hits what Earthquake cannot. Its main use is to OHKO non-Sturdy users, non-Ghost-type Levitate users, and Flying-type Pokemon, as well as bulkier Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan, Chansey, Blissey, and Suicune. Toxic can be used over Guillotine, as it is more reliable for beating defensive Pokemon, but Guillotine's ability to OHKO foes on the spot is highly preferred.
I don't understand how stalling PP allows for easier use of Guillotine. I think you should instead explain how Protect + Sub and Toxic Heal recovery interact (because two rounds of recovery offsets the health loss from Substitute, meaning you aren't losing any HP by spamming that combo).

228 HP and 68 Def EVs with an Impish nature increase Gliscor's physical bulk, allowing it to take many hits from other physical attackers. The remaining 212 EVs are invested into Speed to allow Gliscor to outspeed maximum Speed Heatran. Toxic Orb activates Poison Heal, which helps replenish Gliscor's health every turn and further aids Gliscor's stalling capabilities. Gliscor can also activate Toxic Orb by switching into other attackers to tank their hits.
The order in which you've explained the EVs isn't right (imo). We didn't just end up with 212 EVs and put them in speed, when we started the EV spread we looked at what Gliscor needed to outspeed and gave him the necessary EVs, then we gave him the optimal HP for Poison Heal recovery + Sub usage, then the rest of the EVs were dumped in Def to pump up his physical walling capabilities as much as possible. It should be explained like this

Usage Tips
========

Gliscor's most common role is stalling. It has many positive matchups against faster physical attackers, allowing Gliscor to easily set up a Substitute and putting it in a great position to use Guillotine. However, when looking at Team Preview, be very careful when you see Mega Kangaskhan, Pokemon that can carry Hyper Voice, and any Pokemon that has a chance of carrying an Ice-type attack. Gliscor should always use Protect as its first move in order to scout the foe's move and have Toxic Orb activate. The Protect + Toxic + Substitute + Poison Heal combination allows Gliscor to stall out foes such as Mega Blaziken that aren't carrying Swords Dance, Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Talonflame.
List common Hyper Voice users. iirc there's really only Sylveon (I suppose also mega mence but it's uncommon). Infiltrator mons are also worth looking out for coz getting passed Sub.. You say to use Toxic here yet it isn't slashed on the set (only mentioned as an option in set details) so it doesn't really make sense to explain it here. Also, shouldn't you just EQ Blaziken?

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Rock Tomb hits Pokemon that are immune to Earthquake, such as Mega Charizard Y, Mega Pinsir, and Talonflame, and provides speed control, but it doesn't have much use outside of that. Stealth Rock can be used to rack up damage on the opposing team through switching? Why is it not preferred though? . Gliscor is a passable stallbreaker, so it can utilize the combination of Taunt and Toxic to wear down common bulky Pokemon such as Chansey and Suicune. Ice Fang hits Pokemon such as Mega Salamence, Garchomp, and Landorus-T for decent damage, but it is significantly weaker than Earthquake and provides redundant coverage otherwise. Roost can be used as a reliable form of recovery. Gliscor has a very big movepool, so it can utilize moves such as Swords Dance, Acrobatics, Aerial Ace, Fling, Stone Edge, Knock Off, Baton Pass, and even Torment. Fling with Acrobatics deserves a special mention, as Gliscor can Fling a Toxic Orb onto the foe, badly poisoning it and doubling Acrobatics's power in the process.
Stealth Rock mention needs work. Add Dragonite to Ice Fang targets.

**Hyper Voice**: Choice Specs Sylveon OHKOes Gliscor with Pixilate Hyper Voice, and the move hits through Gliscor's Substitute. Sylveon does, however, have to be wary of Guillotine. Mega Gardevoir and Mega Altaria also carry Pixilate. Mega Salamence has great Special Attack to utilize the move as well, and it's immune to Earthquake.
This whole paragraph reads awkwardly to me, particularly the part I bolded. I think you should instead say something like "Hyper Voice is dangerous to Gliscor as it takes advantage of its lower Special Defense and also bypasses its Substitute. Common users include Sylveon, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Altaria and Mega Salamence. Sylveon is particularly threatening as it can OHKO Gliscor if it is equipped with a Choice Specs. These all, however, need to watch out for Guillotine."

**Pokemon With Strong Water- and Ice-type Attacks**: Pokemon with strong Water- and Ice-type attacks, such as Suicune and Thundurus, have enough power to OHKO Gliscor. Both can switch into Earthquake with ease but must be wary of Guillotine. Albeit uncommon, Mega Kangaskhan can use Ice Punch, which OHKOes Gliscor if it's not behind a Substitute and 2HKOes Gliscor if it's behind one. Thundurus carries Hidden Power Ice, which has a 50% chance of OHKOing Gliscor even with full HP investment. Cloyster and Mamoswine have access to Icicle Spear, which is able to break Gliscor's Substitutes and hit it for super effective damage after doing so. Cloyster easily OHKOes Gliscor no matter the circumstance because of Skill Link, but Mamoswine needs at least three hits in order to at least have a chance to OHKO. Cresselia and Porygon2 can set up Trick Room while Gliscor uses Protect and can OHKO it with Ice Beam. Porygon2 also has Trace, which can copy Poison Heal, making Toxic from Gliscor useless.
This is a more personal thing, but I hate repeating the title of the particular check/counter in the first sentence. I would just replace it with "Pokemon such as Suicune and Thundurus have enough power to OHKO Gliscor with super effective Scald and Hidden Power Ice respectively." I'm also not sure where you got the calcs from but I'm seeing a very clean OHKO from Thundy's HP Ice, but since I've added this to the first sentence you can drop it.

I know this is a lot and I'm really sorry that it's coming now after you completed it. Most of your info is spot on and you're obviously a great player, just some instances of awkward writing. I'm gonna take this back to GP for one final check after you rewrite some bits and then I can finally upload it!

I should read over all this whether I'm combining a writer's work with mine or my work alone.

I forgot to change the levels down to 50 from the calcs by accident sorry about that.

Everything is fixed.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I should read over all this whether I'm combining a writer's work with mine or my work alone.

I forgot to change the levels down to 50 from the calcs by accident sorry about that.

Everything is fixed.
Good job so far, thanks for taking my advice. However you've still left in the Toxic-stalling mention in usage tips:

The Protect + Toxic + Substitute + Poison Heal combination allows Gliscor to stall out foes such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Talonflame.
I would instead say something along the lines of "if using toxic instead of guillotine then you can inflict pokemon such as _____ with poison and stall them out by alternating between protect and sub."

Also, I only just decided this (sorry I didn't bring it up in my previous post) but the first check/counter is really clunky.

**Gengar, Skarmory, Ghost-typeswith Air Balloon, and Mega Sableye**: Gengar's and Skarmory's typings and abilities make them immune to Toxic, Earthquake, and Guillotine. Air Balloon-wielding Ghost-types such as Aegislash and Chandelure are immune to Gliscor's Earthquake and Guillotine. Aegislash is also immune to Toxic, which only leaves Gliscor to set up Substitute and Protect. Aegislash can take advantage of that and use it as setup fodder. Chandelure, despite not having an immunity to Toxic, has Infiltrator, allowing(space)it to bypass Gliscor's Substitute and deal damage to it. Mega Sableye is immune to Guillotine and takes little damage from Earthquake, which it can then heal off with Recover.
I would shorten the heading to something like "Pokemon who are immune to both Earthquake and Guillotine" and try explain the individual cases. I would take out the mention of Air Balloon Chandelure, it's already a rare mon, and Air Balloon has less than 3% usage...

Actually, while looking at Gliscor v Chandy calcs I've seen that you can take EVs from Def and pump up the speed to 244 to outspeed max speed (non-scarf) Chandy. The remaining EVs (36) can either go into attack to give you a way better shot at OHKOing with EQ, or Def still... Maybe have this spread mentioned in set details? Your call, can leave it if you don't want to. Scarf is the most common Chandy set so it's not totally worth it (there's also Sash sets).

Other than that this should be all good and you can go get another GP check for the stuff you changed. Maybe ask one of the guys who already did one :)

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
snobalt is a john, i'll look over this quickly
remove
add (Capitalize)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
[OVERVIEW]

Gliscor's natural bulk and fair defensive typing let it easily handle Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Mega Heracross, and Electric-types lacking a Water- or Ice-type coverage move. Gliscor can also beat common Pokemon such as Garchomp and Heatran thanks to its good physical bulk and STAB Earthquake. Its Guillotine is pretty spammable once everything immune to it is gone, as Gliscor's good defensive typing, its good bulk, and the constant recovery from Poison Heal give it many opportunities to use it. Gliscor can also be a great status absorber due to Poison Heal, which, in tandem with a Toxic Orb, renders it effectively immune to other status effects. However, Gliscor has a 4x weakness to Ice-type attacks, which gives it trouble in the face of attacks such as Glalie's Frost Breath, Thundurus's Hidden Power Ice, and Mamoswine's Icicle Spear and Ice Shard, and it is easily overwhelmed by special attackers such as Gengar, Rotom-W, and Aegislash because of its subpar Special Defense.

[SET]
move 4: Guillotine / Toxic

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

In combination with Toxic Orb and Poison Heal, Gliscor can effectively stall out the foe. Protect will allows Gliscor to scout the foe and activate Toxic Orb after a turn passes. Substitute enables Gliscor to protect itself from status and from any physical attackers that can't break its Substitute. Poison Heal offsets the health loss of Substitute after two turns, meaning Gliscor hasn't lost any health after spamming using the combo combination of the two. Albeit uninvested, Earthquake hits common Pokemon that are weak to it, such as Mega Charizard X, Mega Gengar, Mega Blaziken, Heatran, and Aegislash, for decent damage. Guillotine, despite being highly inaccurate, hits what Earthquake cannot. Its main use is to OHKO non-Sturdy users, non-Ghost-type Levitate users, and Flying-type Pokemon, as well as bulkier Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan, Chansey, Blissey, and Suicune. Toxic can be used over Guillotine, as it is more reliable for beating defensive Pokemon, but Guillotine's ability to OHKO foes on the spot is highly preferred.

Set Details
========

212 EVs are invested into Speed to allow Gliscor to outspeed maximum Speed Heatran. 228 HP EVs with an Impish nature increase Gliscor's physical bulk, allowing it to take many hits from other physical attackers and assist with Poison Heal recovery and Substitute usage. The remaining 68 Def EVs are invested into Defense to increase increases Gliscor's physical walling capabilities as much as possible. Toxic Orb activates Poison Heal, which helps replenish Gliscor's health every turn and further aids Gliscor's stalling capabilities. Gliscor can also activate Toxic Orb by switching into other attackers to tank their hits.

Usage Tips
========

Gliscor's most common role is stalling. It has many positive matchups against faster physical attackers, allowing Gliscor to easily set up a Substitute and putting it in a great position to use Guillotine. However, when looking at Team Preview, be very careful when you see Mega Kangaskhan, Pokemon that can carry Hyper Voice such as Sylveon, Chandelure with Infiltrator, and any Pokemon that has a chance of carrying an Ice-type attack. Gliscor should always use Protect as its first move in order to scout the foe's move and have Toxic Orb activate. If using Toxic instead of Guillotine, then Gliscor can inflict Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Talonflame with poison and stall them out by alternating between Protect and Substitute.

Team Options
========

Chansey and Blissey have great Special Defense to help back up Gliscor's weaker Special Defense stat, forming an excellent defensive core. Additionally, because most Water- and Ice-type attacks are special moves, they have an easy time switching into threats that Gliscor can't handle. Water-type Pokemon such as Slowbro, Mega Slowbro, Suicune, and Rotom-W can also switch into the Water- and Ice-type attacks that threaten Gliscor. Mega Venusaur can switch into Water-type attacks that threaten Gliscor and provides Leech Seed support, letting Gliscor continuously wear down the foe and stall it without having to resort to Guillotine. Klefki has good defensive synergy with Gliscor, being able to switch into the Ice-type attacks aimed at Gliscor (RC) while Gliscor can freely switch into Ground-type attacks aimed at Klefki. Klefki either can utilize the combination of Swagger and Thunder Wave so that Gliscor has a safer time spamming Guillotine or can set up dual screens so that the opponent's Pokemon have a harder time breaking past Gliscor. Gliscor has good defensive synergy with Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Ferrothorn, making them good teammates. Pokemon with Toxic support let Gliscor stall out Pokemon that would otherwise be a threat to it. Pokemon such as Zapdos and Suicune can normally waste Guillotine's PP faster due to Pressure, and having them poisoned reflects the pressure (fix double space)back to the opponent.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Rock Tomb hits Pokemon that are immune to Earthquake, such as Mega Charizard Y, Mega Pinsir, and Talonflame, and provides speed control, but it doesn't have much use outside of that. Stealth Rock can be used to rack up damage on the opposing team from constant switches, although it's very rare and stalling is more preferred. ("more" preferred implies there's a third option and that stalling is more preferred than SR over that unnamed third option... that's not what you were getting at) Gliscor is a passable stallbreaker, so it can utilize the combination of Taunt and Toxic to wear down common bulky Pokemon such as Chansey and Suicune. Ice Fang hits Pokemon such as Mega Salamence, Garchomp, Dragonite, and Landorus-T for decent damage, but it is significantly weaker than Earthquake and provides redundant coverage otherwise. Roost can be used as a reliable form of recovery. Gliscor has a very big movepool, so it can utilize moves such as Swords Dance, Acrobatics, Aerial Ace, Fling, Stone Edge, Knock Off, Baton Pass, and even Torment. Fling with Acrobatics deserves a special mention, as Gliscor can Fling a Toxic Orb onto the foe, badly poisoning it and doubling Acrobatics's power in the process.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Pokemon Immune to Earthquake and Guillotine**: Gengar's and Skarmory's typings and abilities make them immune to Toxic, Earthquake, and Guillotine. Air Balloon-wielding Ghost-types such as Aegislash is are immune to Gliscor's Earthquake and Guillotine. Aegislash is also immune to Toxic, which only leaves Gliscor to set up Substitute and Protect. Aegislash can take advantage of that and use it as setup fodder. Chandelure, despite not having an immunity to Toxic, has Infiltrator, allowing it to bypass Gliscor's Substitute and deal damage to it. Mega Sableye is immune to Guillotine and takes little damage from Earthquake, which it can then heal off with Recover.

**Perish Song Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar outspeeds Gliscor and can keep it from switching out with Shadow Tag. After using Perish Song, Gengar can stall out Gliscor with Protect and Substitute and switch out. Mega Gengar is also immune to Guillotine.

**Hyper Voice**: Hyper Voice is dangerous to Gliscor, (AC) as it takes advantage of its lower Special Defense and also bypasses its Substitute. Common users include Sylveon, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Altaria, (AC) and Mega Salamence. Sylveon is particularly threatening, (AC) as it can OHKO Gliscor if it is equipped with a Choice Specs. These all, however, need to watch out for Guillotine.

**Pokemon With Strong Water- and Ice-type Attacks**: Pokemon such as Suicune and Thundurus (RC) have enough power to OHKO Gliscor with super effective Scald and Hidden Power Ice, respectively. Both can switch into Earthquake with ease but must be wary of Guillotine. Albeit uncommon, Mega Kangaskhan can use Ice Punch, which OHKOes Gliscor if it's not behind a Substitute and 2HKOes Gliscor if it's (kinda subjective but "it is" sounds so much better here for emphasis / contrast purposes) behind one. Cloyster and Mamoswine have access to Icicle Spear, which is able to break Gliscor's Substitutes and hit it for super effective damage after doing so. Cloyster easily OHKOes Gliscor no matter the circumstance because of Skill Link, but Mamoswine needs at least three hits in order to at least have a chance to OHKO. Cresselia and Porygon2 can set up Trick Room while Gliscor uses Protect and can OHKO it with Ice Beam. Porygon2 also has Trace, which can copy Poison Heal, making Toxic from Gliscor useless.

**Taunt and Encore Users**: Taunt users such as Gyarados, Talonflame, Gengar, and Thundurus can all keep Gliscor from stalling them out. Talonflame and Gengar have no trouble outspeeding Gliscor, and Gyarados is able to beat Gliscor with its STAB moves. Thundurus deserves a special mention because its Prankster Taunt shuts down most of Gliscor's moves, forcing it to use Guillotine. All of the threats mentioned above are immune to Earthquake as well. Mega Alakazam, Whimsicott, and Liepard can use Encore to lock Gliscor into one of its status moves. Mega Alakazam has Trace, which can copy Gliscor's Poison Heal, making it effectively immune to Toxic. Whimsicott has Prankster and can set up Substitute while Gliscor is locked into a move. It can spam Moonblast and use Leech Seed, depleting Gliscor of its HP. Liepard also has Prankster and can damage Gliscor as well, forcing it to switch out.

GP 3/3

Last edited:

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ack, I was out all day and couldn't get to this. My apologies.
I AM NOT A JOHN WATCH YOURSELF TDP ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)