ORAS UU: The Next Best Thing (New Version Coming Soon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

Double dance Cobalion. Served me well on an RU HO team that made it rather high up the ladder during a need-a-break-from-UU run. Cobalion's good bulk, great ability, good typing both defensively and offensively allows it to pick and choose it's chances to boost up. Depending on what you need to beat, the appropriate dance is available of course. However Cobalion functions differently to other double dancers like PZ or Haxorus in that it often has the ability to get both boosts, using its bulk and typing to take resisted or neutral hits with aplomb.

Item options can be Life Orb, Lefties, Lum Berry, Shuca Berry or the fighting resist berry whose name I forget. If you choose a resist berry it changes the target for what you want to set up on.

I'll try mine:

Cobalion @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Taunt / Stealth Rock / Swords Dance
- Close Combat / Iron Head

Support bulky cobalion. Cobalion has pretty good bulk and very very diverse movepool. So why not pushing him to the max? It is fast enough with its speed, nobody would expect a thunder wave. Even if they found out, and decide not to bring their sweeper in your face, you can either taunt, stealth rock or switch away depending on your prediction. Cobalion is speedy enough to outspeed typical supportive opponents, so Iron Head will give you good hax chances. Close combat may give more power, however I don't really recommend it.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Specially Attacking Pivot
(AKA the Anti-Omfuga Pivot)

Cobalion @ Expert Belt
EVs: 16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

With a Special Attack just as high as its attack and a cool momentum grabbing move in Volt Switch, this Cobalion can be a fantastic answer not only to physical set-up sweepers of all stripes but also to the increasingly common P2/Gligar cores on offensive teams.

Expert Belt allows you to secure the necessary KOs without sacrificing longevity, and as you can hit the majority of the tier for SE damage, is a great choice here. With Ebelt and 16 EVs, you are guaranteed the 2HKO against standard 252/108 P2 even without rocks, and Bold P2 with rocks. The rest goes into Special Attack to power your pseudo-BoltBeam. HP Ice is an easy 2HKO against Gligars of all stripes and also KOs common threats such as Mence, while your fast Volt Switch does a whopping 53% min to Gatr. Thunder Wave is there to help you stop set-up sweepers and nail switch-ins.

I'll post calcs and maybe a replay or two when I'm not on mobile.

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Jolly Nature
-Magnet Rise
-Taunt
-Stealth Rock
-Close Combat / Iron Head / Volt Switch

Pivot and Anti-Lead Cobalion.
The set is designed to beat common SR lead mons, like forretress, donphan, gligar, etc.
On the first turn you taunt on their SR, then magnet rise on the EQ, set up SR and volt switch as they switch out on a mon that beats every Coba variant (like Doublade). The set works more often than you think, as it catches a lot of people off guard and gives you ez rocks most of the time.

Combine this with a mon that really appreciates a 'free' switchin like Entei, Heracross etc.

Note: I'm on vacation and on my phone (im happy if this even gets through camping wifi) and won't have any time to get a dank Coba picture, calcs, replays etc but imagination is a cool thing :]

edit: omg please vote for me I had to write this whole damn thing 3 times bc crack wifi

Ooh, I actually have a set for this.

Cobalion @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Volt Switch
Was using this as a mostly-check to Hydreigon. Guess I got lucky and had a streak where no one thought to run Fire Blast or use it as I was switching in. I was super happy with its performance, Assault Vest patches up its SpDef to the point where it takes pretty much anything that's not a super-effective hit and won't be 2HKO'd by it. It's also a not-half-bad Knock Off switch-in, you barely take any damage from it thanks to Cobalion's meaty Defense and he hits pretty hard at +1. Other Pokemon that like to spam Dark-type attacks are also fodder, especially ones that use Dark Pulse. You take super little (Modest Mega Blastoise 5HKOs you while you 2HKO after Justified). Jolly used over any other nature because 1) Why would you reduce the Special Defense of a Pokemon on which you're sticking an Assault Vest, and 2) Why compromise Cobalion's best stat? You're not using Volt Switch for damage anyway, and between base 129 Defense and Assault Vest you're one of the meatiest mixed pivots in the tier.

Lure Cobalion
@ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Work Up
- Close Combat
- Flash Cannon

The premise is simple: lure in common ground-type checks like Swampert, Donphan, Gligar and pair it with a mon who appreciates these threats removed. Based on my personal experience, the most common check for Cobalion is Swampert because it can deal with both CM and Swords Dance set. A combination of Close Combat + Hidden Power Grass OHKOes Swampert. I also tried Volt Switch over Work Up at one point but found the extra boost in power to beneficial in beating tanks with a form of recovery easier, because otherwise they can stall out your life orb with their recovery move. This set it works as a dual threat to tankier teams, which make it difficult to completely wall. However, it works best as a lure due to the surprise factor of Hidden Power Grass, more so than a mixed attacker. Here are the relevant calculations:

vs. Swampert (Close Combat on the switch, followed up by Hidden Power Grass)

16 Atk Life Orb Cobalion Close Combat vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 121-144 (30.1 - 35.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
240 SpA Life Orb Cobalion Hidden Power Grass vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 291-343 (72.5 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 calculations vs. tanks with heals

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Cobalion Hidden Power Grass vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Slowking: 185-218 (47 - 55.4%) -- 15.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Cobalion Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 12 SpD Jellicent: 190-224 (47 - 55.4%) -- 14.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Cobalion Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 187-222 (55.9 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 16 Atk Life Orb Cobalion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 242-289 (64.7 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (note an unboosted Close Combat only deals 43.8 - 52.1% and will stall you out)
+1 16 Atk Life Orb Cobalion Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Milotic: 196-231 (49.8 - 58.7%) -- 72.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

Cobalion @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Sleep Talk / Hidden Power Ice

Specs Cobalion is a nice momentum grabber with Volt Switch and has a deceptively strong Focus Blast that dents walls. While its 91 base SpA and sparse special movepool make a Specs set questionable, the moves that it does have, in combination with its 108 speed, good typing, and solid bulk make it worth it. Volt Switch allows Cobalion to pivot and also wears down the the likes of Slowking, Tentacruel, Suicune, and Moltres. Focus Blast, while inaccurate, is strong enough to 2HKO Blissey, SpD Mandibuzz (after SR), defensive Manibuzz, SpD Mega Ampharos (after SR), Suicune and others, as well as to OHKO Mega Aggron. Flash Cannon is the secondary, more accurate STAB that beats Florges, Nidoqueen, Gligar and the like. HP Ice does best against some Dragons and Gligar, but Sleep Talk is also useful for switching into Amoonguss and Roserade.

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-uu-256037864
Quick replay of it in action. I lost, but Specs Coba put in some serious work, 2HKOing Mandibuzz with Focus Blast and getting some momentum on Blissey with Volt Switch (even though I could possibly have 2HKOed with Focus Blast). With HP Ice over Sleep Talk, I could have beaten Salamence.

EDIT: Nearly forgot my calcs!
252 SpA Choice Specs Cobalion Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 354-416 (49.5 - 58.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Cobalion Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 24+ SpD Florges: 186-222 (51.6 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Cobalion Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 272-324 (69 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Cobalion Volt Switch vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Slowking: 166-196 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Cobalion Volt Switch vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 110-130 (27.9 - 33%) -- 91.6% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock (weak ._.)

252 SpA Choice Specs Cobalion Focus Blast vs. 240 HP / 216+ SpD Mandibuzz: 175-207 (41.5 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Cobalion Volt Switch vs. 240 HP / 216+ SpD Mandibuzz: 136-162 (32.3 - 38.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Cobalion Focus Blast vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 238-282 (56.5 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Cobalion Volt Switch vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 186-220 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
teal6 Chople Berry for cushioning Fighting attacks.

Most Cobalion hate burns, and none like paralysis. There's also its cool typing and pretty good coverage it can use to pull off a classic set.

Decoy Musketeer (Sub + Status)

Cobalion @ Air Balloon
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat / Sacred Sword
- Iron Head / Stone Edge
- Toxic / Thunder Wave
- Substitute

Yep, Air Balloon Cobalion (great Knock Off absorber). This set has two purposes - corner things that rely on Earthquake to deal with Cobalion, especially EdgeQuake users and Dragons, and cripple checks, either bulky or faster Pokémon. Substitute takes advantage of switches and dodges status from walls. In tandem with Air Balloon, Substitute also pressures physical attackers like M-Aggron, Drill Run M-Beedrill, Haxorus, and Salamence. Heavy Slam does pathetic damage and, barring Fire Blast, physical dragons can't reliably break its subs without resorting to Outrage, since Life Orb Dragon Claw or Dual Chop will break it a little under half of the time and leaves them to be crippled by status without a Lum Berry. Mega Beedrill can only pop the Air Balloon and risks being KO'ed, and M-Aerodactyl with only EdgeQuake also struggles with this set. Toxic is the preferred status, since most of Cobalion's checks are bulky and it has surprise factor. Thunder Wave also pairs well with Substitute and Iron Head for obvious reasons (think Jirachi) and ruins fast attackers and set-up sweepers a bit more effectively than Toxic. Because its STABs are decent at best, Stone Edge can be used over Iron Head to hit some checks harder, like Tentacruel, but checking Fairies is hard to pass up, and Doublade still walls Cobalion. Sacred Sword is useful for preserving Subs and bulk, but Close Combat offers the raw power that's really needed to 2HKO neutral targets like Haxorus.

Speed tying Infernape isn't too important, because you'll almost always lose anyway, and the few extra HP is nice to have slightly sturdier Subs. Outrunning LO Mienshao is enough. Max speed can be used if other Cobalion are a concern, but it's not really worth it. Leftovers gets a mention with Substitute, but Air Balloon gives this set a lot more utility.

Last edited:

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

Double dance Cobalion. Served me well on an RU HO team that made it rather high up the ladder during a need-a-break-from-UU run. Cobalion's good bulk, great ability, good typing both defensively and offensively allows it to pick and choose it's chances to boost up. Depending on what you need to beat, the appropriate dance is available of course. However Cobalion functions differently to other double dancers like PZ or Haxorus in that it often has the ability to get both boosts, using its bulk and typing to take resisted or neutral hits with aplomb.

Item options can be Life Orb, Lefties, Lum Berry, Shuca Berry or the fighting resist berry whose name I forget. If you choose a resist berry it changes the target for what you want to set up on.
I'll try mine:

Cobalion @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Taunt / Stealth Rock / Swords Dance
- Close Combat / Iron Head

Support bulky cobalion. Cobalion has pretty good bulk and very very diverse movepool. So why not pushing him to the max? It is fast enough with its speed, nobody would expect a thunder wave. Even if they found out, and decide not to bring their sweeper in your face, you can either taunt, stealth rock or switch away depending on your prediction. Cobalion is speedy enough to outspeed typical supportive opponents, so Iron Head will give you good hax chances. Close combat may give more power, however I don't really recommend it.
Specially Attacking Pivot
(AKA the Anti-Omfuga Pivot)

Cobalion @ Expert Belt
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

With a Special Attack just as high as its attack and a cool momentum grabbing move in Volt Switch, this Cobalion can be a fantastic answer not only to physical set-up sweepers of all stripes but also to the increasingly common P2/Gligar cores on offensive teams.

Expert Belt allows you to secure the necessary KOs without sacrificing longevity, and as you can hit the majority of the tier for SE damage, is a great choice here. With Ebelt and 16 EVs, you are guaranteed the 2HKO against standard 252/108 P2 even without rocks, and Bold P2 with rocks. The rest goes into Special Attack to power your pseudo-BoltBeam. HP Ice is an easy 2HKO against Gligars of all stripes and also KOs common threats such as Mence, while your fast Volt Switch does a whopping 53% min to Gatr. Thunder Wave is there to help you stop set-up sweepers and nail switch-ins.

I'll post calcs and maybe a replay or two when I'm not on mobile.
Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Jolly Nature
-Magnet Rise
-Taunt
-Stealth Rock
-Close Combat / Iron Head / Volt Switch

Pivot and Anti-Lead Cobalion.
The set is designed to beat common SR lead mons, like forretress, donphan, gligar, etc.
On the first turn you taunt on their SR, then magnet rise on the EQ, set up SR and volt switch as they switch out on a mon that beats every Coba variant (like Doublade). The set works more often than you think, as it catches a lot of people off guard and gives you ez rocks most of the time.

Combine this with a mon that really appreciates a 'free' switchin like Entei, Heracross etc.

Note: I'm on vacation and on my phone (im happy if this even gets through camping wifi) and won't have any time to get a dank Coba picture, calcs, replays etc but imagination is a cool thing :]

edit: omg please vote for me I had to write this whole damn thing 3 times bc crack wifi
Ooh, I actually have a set for this.

Cobalion @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Volt Switch
Was using this as a mostly-check to Hydreigon. Guess I got lucky and had a streak where no one thought to run Fire Blast or use it as I was switching in. I was super happy with its performance, Assault Vest patches up its SpDef to the point where it takes pretty much anything that's not a super-effective hit and won't be 2HKO'd by it. It's also a not-half-bad Knock Off switch-in, you barely take any damage from it thanks to Cobalion's meaty Defense and he hits pretty hard at +1. Other Pokemon that like to spam Dark-type attacks are also fodder, especially ones that use Dark Pulse. You take super little (Modest Mega Blastoise 5HKOs you while you 2HKO after Justified). Jolly used over any other nature because 1) Why would you reduce the Special Defense of a Pokemon on which you're sticking an Assault Vest, and 2) Why compromise Cobalion's best stat? You're not using Volt Switch for damage anyway, and between base 129 Defense and Assault Vest you're one of the meatiest mixed pivots in the tier.

Lure Cobalion
@ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Work Up
- Close Combat
- Flash Cannon

The premise is simple: lure in common ground-type checks like Swampert, Donphan, Gligar and pair it with a mon who appreciates these threats removed. Based on my personal experience, the most common check for Cobalion is Swampert because it can deal with both CM and Swords Dance set. A combination of Close Combat + Hidden Power Grass OHKOes Swampert. I also tried Volt Switch over Work Up at one point but found the extra boost in power to beneficial in beating tanks with a form of recovery easier, because otherwise they can stall out your life orb with their recovery move. This set it works as a dual threat to tankier teams, which make it difficult to completely wall. However, it works best as a lure due to the surprise factor of Hidden Power Grass, more so than a mixed attacker. Here are the relevant calculations:

vs. Swampert (Close Combat on the switch, followed up by Hidden Power Grass)

16 Atk Life Orb Cobalion Close Combat vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 121-144 (30.1 - 35.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
240 SpA Life Orb Cobalion Hidden Power Grass vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 291-343 (72.5 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 calculations vs. tanks with heals

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Cobalion Hidden Power Grass vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Slowking: 185-218 (47 - 55.4%) -- 15.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Cobalion Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 12 SpD Jellicent: 190-224 (47 - 55.4%) -- 14.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Cobalion Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 187-222 (55.9 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 16 Atk Life Orb Cobalion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 242-289 (64.7 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (note an unboosted Close Combat only deals 43.8 - 52.1% and will stall you out)
+1 16 Atk Life Orb Cobalion Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Milotic: 196-231 (49.8 - 58.7%) -- 72.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Cobalion @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Sleep Talk / Hidden Power Ice

Specs Cobalion is a nice momentum grabber with Volt Switch and has a deceptively strong Focus Blast that dents walls. While its 91 base SpA and sparse special movepool make a Specs set questionable, the moves that it does have, in combination with its 108 speed, good typing, and solid bulk make it worth it. Volt Switch allows Cobalion to pivot and also wears down the the likes of Slowking, Tentacruel, Suicune, and Moltres. Focus Blast, while inaccurate, is strong enough to 2HKO Blissey, SpD Mandibuzz (after SR), defensive Manibuzz, SpD Mega Ampharos (after SR), Suicune and others, as well as to OHKO Mega Aggron. Flash Cannon is the secondary, more accurate STAB that beats Florges, Nidoqueen, Gligar and the like. HP Ice does best against some Dragons and Gligar, but Sleep Talk is also useful for switching into Amoonguss and Roserade.

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-uu-256037864
Quick replay of it in action. I lost, but Specs Coba put in some serious work, 2HKOing Mandibuzz with Focus Blast and getting some momentum on Blissey with Volt Switch (even though I could possibly have 2HKOed with Focus Blast). With HP Ice over Sleep Talk, I could have beaten Salamence.

EDIT: Nearly forgot my calcs!
252 SpA Choice Specs Cobalion Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 354-416 (49.5 - 58.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Cobalion Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 24+ SpD Florges: 186-222 (51.6 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Cobalion Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 272-324 (69 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Cobalion Volt Switch vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Slowking: 166-196 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Cobalion Volt Switch vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 110-130 (27.9 - 33%) -- 91.6% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock (weak ._.)

252 SpA Choice Specs Cobalion Focus Blast vs. 240 HP / 216+ SpD Mandibuzz: 175-207 (41.5 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Cobalion Volt Switch vs. 240 HP / 216+ SpD Mandibuzz: 136-162 (32.3 - 38.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Cobalion Focus Blast vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 238-282 (56.5 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Cobalion Volt Switch vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 186-220 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
teal6 Chople Berry for cushioning Fighting attacks.

Most Cobalion hate burns, and none like paralysis. There's also its cool typing and pretty good coverage it can use to pull off a classic set.

Decoy Musketeer (Sub + Status)

Cobalion @ Air Balloon
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat / Sacred Sword
- Iron Head / Stone Edge
- Toxic / Thunder Wave
- Substitute

Yep, Air Balloon Cobalion (great Knock Off absorber). This set has two purposes - corner things that rely on Earthquake to deal with Cobalion, especially EdgeQuake users and Dragons, and cripple checks, either bulky or faster Pokémon. Substitute takes advantage of switches and dodges status from walls. In tandem with Air Balloon, Substitute also pressures physical attackers like M-Aggron, Drill Run M-Beedrill, Haxorus, and Salamence. Heavy Slam does pathetic damage and, barring Fire Blast, physical dragons can't reliably break its subs without resorting to Outrage, since Life Orb Dragon Claw or Dual Chop will break it a little under half of the time and leaves them to be crippled by status without a Lum Berry. Mega Beedrill can only pop the Air Balloon and risks being KO'ed, and M-Aerodactyl with only EdgeQuake also struggles with this set. Toxic is the preferred status, since most of Cobalion's checks are bulky and it has surprise factor. Thunder Wave also pairs well with Substitute and Iron Head for obvious reasons (think Jirachi) and ruins fast attackers and set-up sweepers a bit more effectively than Toxic. Because its STABs are decent at best, Stone Edge can be used over Iron Head to hit some checks harder, like Tentacruel, but checking Fairies is hard to pass up, and Doublade still walls Cobalion. Sacred Sword is useful for preserving Subs and bulk, but Close Combat offers the raw power that's really needed to 2HKO neutral targets like Haxorus.

Speed tying Infernape isn't too important, because you'll almost always lose anyway, and the few extra HP is nice to have slightly sturdier Subs. Outrunning LO Mienshao is enough. Max speed can be used if other Cobalion are a concern, but it's not really worth it. Leftovers gets a mention with Substitute, but Air Balloon gives this set a lot more utility.
Hogg is hot

Vote pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)