Cretacerus Art

Hey there,
I'd be glad to do a banner for you, but just wondering how soon you would need it? There are a couple of requests that I haven't updated in the OP yet, so it might take a bit longer this time. If that's no issue I would add you to the queue.^^
No issue at all, lol, I tend to take quite a while when writing RMTs so it's not a problem. Even if I do finish early, I can wait for the banner to be done.

Thanks a bunch.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'd prefer it to be a shiny Toxicroak and a normal colored Mega Aerodactyl.

Last edited:

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Pokemon Matchmaking - NU Edition:

|| Sketch

Apparently, a transparent background is automatically turned black in larger images, but it does actually fit very well in this case.
Still working on improving my typography skills, so I took a bit of inspiration from imas234's professional looking banners. ;)

Below is a version with a more reasonable size and transparent background, tagging NV in case he wants to use it for his thread.^^

Also, it seems that the OU Matchmaking thread already received a banner right after I posted the sketch, so there's no need for me to work on that one anymore.
Ok, I'll be doing the OU one as well afterall, so both thread banners will have a matching look. ;)

Last edited:
Thank you so much Cretacerus for actually remembering that I asked you for a banner so long ago :')

I'm sorry I didn't write to you sooner since you posted here announcing your return to this magnificent art thread, summer was in the way :/

Anyway, I've sent you a PM with the details of the request I have, I think it's quite small but then again, I'm a terrible artist so my judgement sucks :P also, I totally understand you might've undertaken other projects since I didn't comment here sooner, but I have no rush so do mine whenever you can :)) thanks in advance!!

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok so here it goes...

Thanks a ton for the banner for the NU Matchmaking thread my fren. To be honest, I have never heard of you or your work before, but I am regretting I didn't know sooner because your artwork is fantastic and I cannot wait to see what else you have in store. I hope you and I can collaborate in the future whenever I make RMTs and you could make my art for them and so on. I am very grateful that you took your time to make me a banner and I appreciate it so much, you have no idea. Thank you again and before I go I was wondering if I could request another banner and that would be for my Dark Horse thread linked in my signature. I understand if you have a lot on your plate, but just thought I would put in the request and that since your artwork is so amazing, you would be able to "spice up" my thread with it :)

Again thank you so much and I am hoping this is the start of an epic friendship.

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Thanks a ton for the banner for the NU Matchmaking thread my fren. To be honest, I have never heard of you or your work before, but I am regretting I didn't know sooner because your artwork is fantastic and I cannot wait to see what else you have in store. I hope you and I can collaborate in the future whenever I make RMTs and you could make my art for them and so on. I am very grateful that you took your time to make me a banner and I appreciate it so much, you have no idea. Thank you again and before I go I was wondering if I could request another banner and that would be for my Dark Horse thread linked in my signature. I understand if you have a lot on your plate, but just thought I would put in the request and that since your artwork is so amazing, you would be able to "spice up" my thread with it :)
It was a pleasure making the banner, and I'm glad you like it! ORAS NU has been my favorite metagame this generation, and I've been following your thread for quite some time, though I'm not really versed well enough to contribute, haha.
I do have lots of requests on my plate right now, but if I can find some time I'll definitely give your Dark Horse thread a look.^^

------------------------

I haven't drawn any Cranidos for way too long, so I thought the following banner was a good opportunity to catch up on that. It's meant for a sub-section in Tangela's Trade Thread, so he will hopefully spare me a copy of his Premier Ball Cranidos in exchange. ;)

Premier Ball Collection:
|| Sketch

As always, the wording might be a bit bland, but I'm sure Nelson can edit it to his pleasing with his own impressive typography skills. I also attached a smaller version of the banner just in case:

Last edited:

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Pokemon Matchmaking - OU Edition:

|| Sketch

As can be seen, I used the OU version of the banner to heavily experiment with special effects and lighting, since OU is home to such powerful elemental beings. Hope I didn't overdo it, heh.^^
Electricity was a lot harder to depict accurately compared to fire, and I'm still not quite satisfied with how Mega Manectric turned out, though it should work well enough when viewing the complete picture.

Below is the smaller banner with transparent background, same as with the NU version. Tagging DarkNostalgia to take a look at it. ;)

Btw, Rhythms, I received your request but no specifics yet, please let me know so I can start working on it soon.^^

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
It was a pleasure making the banner, and I'm glad you like it! ORAS NU has been my favorite metagame this generation, and I've been following your thread for quite some time, though I'm not really versed well enough to contribute, haha.
I do have lots of requests on my plate right now, but if I can find some time I'll definitely give your Dark Horse thread a look.^^
Well rip on the banner as Fletchinder just went back to RU. Still keeping it up though because it is too badass to be taken down ;)

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Well rip on the banner as Fletchinder just went back to RU. Still keeping it up though because it is too badass to be taken down ;)
Yeah, I noticed that as well as soon as I was back, haha! It seems my banner was a bit too convincing in the end, with both of Torterra and Fletchinder jumping up a tier one mere day after I posted it. ;)
In my experience, such Pokemon tend to stay in their new homes for quite some time, so I'll try to replace Fletchinder with something like Kabutops eventually.

Did in PMs :)
Ahh sorry, I must have exited that mass conversation due to the abundance of alerts I received from it.^^ Would it be alright to resend me the details?
And apologies for the late reply, currently I'm doing a half-day course and working on some major projects for my studies, but I should be able to finish with them mostly by next week Friday.

EDIT: Received, thanks!

Last edited:

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
loved the match-making banners. still one my favourite artists on Smogon :heart: one day i'll get in time to get a request from you, :( i'm sad that the list is full

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Thanks everyone for the kind comments!^^

Here's some art I did a while back for the provisional issue #45 of The Smog, which never ended up being released. Instead, the article PU Spotlight: Carracosta was posted this week, featuring one of the most overlooked fossil Pokemon. Props to the writer for keeping the article up to date with the NU metagame throughout the rather long time period between its initial completion and its release.
I always felt that Carracosta looks a lot more natural in a swimming pose, since that gives is so much more mobility and grace. In the end, Water is still its true element. :P

|| Sketch

I like how Carracosta's armor is so jagged and geometrical, since that makes the shading very intuitive and striking. I also tried to add some texture to it to better portray the rough rock-like surface, though the effect I used might clash with the shading at some places.
When drawing more complex design, the ingame Pokedex model is usually a great option to get a feel for the coherent 3-dimensional anatomy. ;)

Finally, I'll be resuming the work on the requests once again after two rather hectic weeks, so expect them to be posted over the course of the next week.^^

Last edited:

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Alright, here is one cliched sunset reunion scene for Sparkl3y.^^

Drawing a tender and playful Gallade was definitely a challenge, since it has to be one of the most serious and battling-oriented Pokemon in the game. Couldn't really picture it in a cuddling scene with Jirachi as originally requested, though I did in fact attempt a sketch of that as can be seen below.
When it comes to hugging, Gallade seems to face similar obstacles as Lucario, though it does have the additional handicap of its arms actually being blades... :(

Jirachi_final.jpg
|| Sketch

Last edited:

Pent

dumb broad
Absolutely

Fabulous.

You never disappoint me, but it does look a little weird to be fair. Did you kinda, distort the Jirachi in the main piece? It just looks a tiny bit off to me, but I'm probably just nitpicking :V

Anyway, thanks for doing this, me and my friend will love it! :D

We'll have to do an art trade soon because I feel like I owe it to ya

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Thanks, glad you like it!^^

And yeah, I do generally have problems with small Pokemon with huge round heads, as can also be seen with Skitty a while back. I usually spend a lot of time on their sketches, but just can't get their proportions and anatomy right. :/
But if you check, the Jirachi was directly drawn over the sketch I posted of it, I'm still not quite sure why is appeares so different. Shading might play a part.

Fantastic work as always. Though I have to ask, where's the light source coming from? The shading on the 'mons makes it look like it's from the central box, but said box has a shadow underneath it, representing a light source above. So either the shading on the box or the 'mons are off; I'd recommend changing the lightsource to the box itself, it'll be both an easier fix and will fit in with what the tour is trying to do - shed light on said mons.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Fantastic work as always. Though I have to ask, where's the light source coming from? The shading on the 'mons makes it look like it's from the central box, but said box has a shadow underneath it, representing a light source above. So either the shading on the box or the 'mons are off; I'd recommend changing the lightsource to the box itself, it'll be both an easier fix and will fit in with what the tour is trying to do - shed light on said mons.
I think it looks perfect as is; I requested it and I like its current look. I just wanted a banner that was aesthetically pleasing and represented underused OU mons

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Haha, thanks for the feedback.
Talenheim has a good eye, and he's completely right about the central box being the light source.^^
Originally the box was surrounded by colored grass, and I only dulled and darkened it after I was done with the image since that seemed to look nicer that way. It might not be accurate, but I guess that's a weird effect of the light source being mostly black. :/

Anyway, for those interested, here is how the original version looked.
TheUUof OU_alt.png

I doubt that anyone here at smogon would actually care about the imperfection even if they see it. It's still a fantastic work.

I want to try my hand at art some day, but I think it will have to wait until I get a tablet, whenever that is.

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Alright, here's the RMT Banner for Of Moose & Men.
I hope the foreground isn't too dark, the shading is emphasized a lot in order to to create contrast to the background. The full moon might actually be a bit too bright though.
Since my drawing program can't create distorted text, I copied it from Microsoft Word instead, which worked out surprisingly well. ;)
Flymetothemoon_klein.jpg

With my 500th post approaching, I would be doing up a tutorial to digital drawing on Paint.Net next, and hopefully share a few tricks I've learned over the past few months.^^
I'll continue with the other requests after it has been completed, so no worries!

Last edited:
Alright, here's the RMT Banner for Of Moose & Men.
I hope the foreground isn't too dark, the shading is emphasized a lot in order to to create contrast to the background. The full moon might actually be a bit too bright though.
Since my drawing program can't create distorted text, I copied it from Microsoft Word instead, which worked out surprisingly well. ;)
View attachment 48440

Since my 500th post is approaching, I would be focusing on doing a tutorial to digital drawing on Paint.Net next, in order to share a few tricks I learned over the past few months.^^
I'll continue with the other requests after that has been completed, so no worries!
Yo, this is absolutely amazing. Thank you so much. I'll be posting the RMT soon, I've had a busy couple weeks so I haven't had enough time to sit down and write like I usually do. Either way, be on the look out. . .

This is so bad ass, lol, thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)