SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

I may be missing something here, but Groudon and Kyogre haven't been stated to have created the Earth, just expanded the land and seas with their clashes until Rayquaza intervened and effectively told them to go to bed without dinner. And the creation of the Red and Blue Orbs.

Still, I believe you're on to something, and that while extremely powerful in some cases, the stories of the legendary Pokemon may simply be just that - stories. (though given Terrakion's enormous base Attack, I wouldn't be surprised if it really could bust through a castle wall in a single charge...)

Just the same, don't fuck with Mewtwo, and REALLY don't fuck with Rayquaza. And I dearly hope the saying about losing emotion if you touch Mesprit is false, because it's possibly the cutest out of its trio, IMO.
Nitpicking, but the ORAS official site mentions that the energy within the primals "spills forth as magma/seawater," so they do actively create.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I presume the ones in DPPt in the mansion between Pastoria City and Hearthrom City. They were guarding doors.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I presume the ones in DPPt in the mansion between Pastoria City and Hearthrom City. They were guarding doors.
Oh, Backlot's Mansion? Oh, it's also called the Pokemon Mansion, odd, I was thinking the one in Cinnabar, lol.

Anyway the maid thing was revealed in Platinum, it was a maid battling tourney. Maids need someway to relax too.

I think that Zygarde's new form might have something to do with Inverse Battles. It's the peacekeeper of its trio, but is not affective in its current form. It is literally incapable of hitting Yveltal with a ground type attack, excluding Thousand Arrows. And can't hit Xerneas with a dragon type attack. Plus, Inver is located above Zygarde. Which makes me think that while its ability, at first, reverses the others' auras, when it changes into, what I believe to be a mega form, it causes a temporary battle inversion. Which makes it superior to the other two. In which what was uneffective, becomes super effective.
I can't believe I didn't think of that. I actually bet that you are right. Either that or he will have a ground and dragon move that hits flying and fairy, respectively. Having an inverse ability would be sick though.

Here's a bit of a mystery... What the hell is Clear Body? I know what the ability does, I've had more than enough encounters with Tentacool/Tentacruel to know that much, but what constitutes it? And how the hell do Beldum's line, Klink's line, (via hidden ability) Regirock, and Registeel qualify for it? I can kind of see Carbink/Diancie due to the crystals in their design, and Tentacool's based on a jellyfish which are mostly clear bodied... Regice is a walking (sort of) block of ice... but Regirock is a mobile rock pile and Registeel's a moving lump of metal.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Here's a bit of a mystery... What the hell is Clear Body? I know what the ability does, I've had more than enough encounters with Tentacool/Tentacruel to know that much, but what constitutes it? And how the hell do Beldum's line, Klink's line, (via hidden ability) Regirock, and Registeel qualify for it? I can kind of see Carbink/Diancie due to the crystals in their design, and Tentacool's based on a jellyfish which are mostly clear bodied... Regice is a walking (sort of) block of ice... but Regirock is a mobile rock pile and Registeel's a moving lump of metal.
I have a feeling Clear Body may be a bit of a misnomer. It's a direct translation of the Japanese name and what I think they may have been trying to say that it's a Pokemon who's body surface is lustrous and smooth. Basically you're suppose to think that stat reductions are stuff being thrown at these Pokemon but their bodies are just so smooth that whatever is thrown at them slide off, thus no stat reduction. Sure it doesn't make sense when you think about it (how is the body being smooth prevent an Intimidate from lowering its attack?), but that's the main concept.

I have a feeling Clear Body may be a bit of a misnomer. It's a direct translation of the Japanese name and what I think they may have been trying to say that it's a Pokemon who's body surface is lustrous and smooth. Basically you're suppose to think that stat reductions are stuff being thrown at these Pokemon but their bodies are just so smooth that whatever is thrown at them slide off, thus no stat reduction. Sure it doesn't make sense when you think about it (how is the body being smooth prevent an Intimidate from lowering its attack?), but that's the main concept.
Klink is a pair of gears spinning together. Not exactly smooth, is it? Or Regirock being a mobile, somewhat humanoid shaped rock pile that uses suitable rocks in its environment to repair itself. They're probably about as lustrous as a rock you'd find in the park or something.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Klink is a pair of gears spinning together. Not exactly smooth, is it? Or Regirock being a mobile, somewhat humanoid shaped rock pile that uses suitable rocks in its environment to repair itself. They're probably about as lustrous as a rock you'd find in the park or something.
I think you're taking things too strictly. First off, the Klink family look pretty smooth to me:

Sure, they have cogs cut into them (though that's kind of comes with being a gear, without them they'd just be a round plate) and Klinklank even has spikes, but look at the flat parts of their body. Smooth, no scratches, the middle "nose" even has a glare spot on it. If I were to through some water, goop, or whatever onto them I could see the stuff just sliding off as they just keep on spinning their gears.

Same for Regirock but in a different way:

Now while I would agree that the arms are very craggy, the body isn't so much. Yes it looks like parts of it has been chiseled to give its body "form", but each surface is smooth. It can even learn Rock Polish by TM. Once again, through some dirt or grime on it and I can see Regirock wiping it off with no problem.

Although it's becoming increasingly suggestive that we're looking at another Kyurem situation, Zygarde's inspirations are a bit of a mystery to me.

While Xerneas has Yggdrasil roots (ha! Wordplay) and Yveltal seems to be a Wendigo or Hreasvelgr/Veorfolnir, Zygarde is all over the place, the only common elements with it's trio being the DNA allusions.

While it's a snake and seems like Jormungandr or Nidhoggr, neither of those examples are creatures of balance or gaia's protector (one is supposed to end the world, and the other gnaws at the roots of the world tree). The hidden attacks (thousand arrows, thousand waves) that seem to be associated with it appear to be an Izanagi & Izanami inspiration (but that might just be the Persona 4 talking), which just confuses me more.

I guess it's not out of character for Gamefreak to create an all original legend, or to play it fast and loose with inspirations, but it's still a bit of a puzzle to me. Hopefully one that will be revealed soon.

Yveltal most likely isn't a Wendigo; if I recall correctly, the Wendigo was thought to resemble a giant human-like reindeer in Native American mythology. Yveltal resembles more of a vulture or eagle than anything, and as such the trio are probably based around the Norse mythology about Yggdrasill, if popular belief in this case is meant to be correct.

But what can we say? This is Pokemon, so anything can happen by this point. They can start a fantasy pantheon for all I care.

Speaking of which, Reshiram and Zekrom's truth and ideals are actually based on a Zoroastrian myth about two equally powerful deities. One represented truth and light (Ahura Mazda), and the other represented lies and darkness (Angra Mainyu). Also, unlike Zekrom, who was just an equally opposing Legendary, Angra Mainyu was considered evil, and both deities had fire elemental powers, while Zekrom uses electricity. Also, neither party is considered particularly good or evil; just truthful and idealistic. (Source: Bulbapedia.)

If I recall correctly, Zoroastrianism is now practically exclusive to Greater Iran.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
On the Clear Body issue, I always saw it having to do with them being machine-like Pokemon. The Regis are sort of like ancient robots in a way, being animated rock, ice, and steel, and acting like computers in the movie. The way I interpret Clear Body is that machines are always working at almost perfect efficiency and it is very hard to slow them down, especially with the methods used in most stat reducing moves. I have no doubt this was probably influenced by the countless number of times I've seen Intimidate not work on Clear Body Pokemon. Machines can't be stopped by scaring them, or howling at them, or throwing sand at them, or saying nasty things to them with Parting Shot, etc. Yeah, these machines are still living Pokemon that do have emotions (maybe with the exception of the regis), but Clear Body is just a design reference to their machine nature.

Tentacruel and Diancie/Carbink are the ones that don't fit this. These two kind of fit the more literal idea of clear body when you look at them (semi-translucent orbs and diamonds). Although when I scroll back up, it looks like these are the two that Detective Barricade actually came up with an explanation for, which I think fits, so I guess we can just accept that there are two meanings to the name.

The more I think about it though, Clear Body seems like it would make more sense if it prevented the Pokemon from getting poisoned. But most of the Pokemon with it are immune to Poison anyway so it'd be a waste.

As for this new mysterious Pokemon, I've heard it interpreted as some sort of Zygarde larva which would make sense. It'd have to be a form though, not a previous evolution (or it could be a separate but related Pokemon, like Phione and Manaphy) and if it is a form, I really like Drake Balleydier's idea of it being an inverse Pokemon. The fact that it does not look like a threat at all fits the whole inverse theme too. Reminds me a lot of Lucemon from Digimon Frontier actually, a dragon who also has a larva form, as well as a form of a tiny unimposing child angel that is actually extremely powerful.

On the Clear Body issue, I always saw it having to do with them being machine-like Pokemon. The Regis are sort of like ancient robots in a way, being animated rock, ice, and steel, and acting like computers in the movie. The way I interpret Clear Body is that machines are always working at almost perfect efficiency and it is very hard to slow them down, especially with the methods used in most stat reducing moves. I have no doubt this was probably influenced by the countless number of times I've seen Intimidate not work on Clear Body Pokemon. Machines can't be stopped by scaring them, or howling at them, or throwing sand at them, or saying nasty things to them with Parting Shot, etc. Yeah, these machines are still living Pokemon that do have emotions (maybe with the exception of the regis), but Clear Body is just a design reference to their machine nature.

Tentacruel and Diancie/Carbink are the ones that don't fit this. These two kind of fit the more literal idea of clear body when you look at them (semi-translucent orbs and diamonds). Although when I scroll back up, it looks like these are the two that Detective Barricade actually came up with an explanation for, which I think fits, so I guess we can just accept that there are two meanings to the name.

The more I think about it though, Clear Body seems like it would make more sense if it prevented the Pokemon from getting poisoned. But most of the Pokemon with it are immune to Poison anyway so it'd be a waste.

As for this new mysterious Pokemon, I've heard it interpreted as some sort of Zygarde larva which would make sense. It'd have to be a form though, not a previous evolution (or it could be a separate but related Pokemon, like Phione and Manaphy) and if it is a form, I really like Drake Balleydier's idea of it being an inverse Pokemon. The fact that it does not look like a threat at all fits the whole inverse theme too. Reminds me a lot of Lucemon from Digimon Frontier actually, a dragon who also has a larva form, as well as a form of a tiny unimposing child angel that is actually extremely powerful.
Well jellyfish also tend to lack brains, so they do what they do without much care for what you're throwing at them, and while Tentacool obviously has a brain... perhaps it half the time just doesn't give a Rattata's backside about your threats or your leers or your scary faces or what mean things you have to say about its mother. I think Diancie has also been portrayed as a bit aloof about the attention it receives from the Carbink which it's a sudden mutation of. Japan also tends to like word-play, so perhaps it is both for having a literal clear body and being very machine like so its unconcerned about being assaulted with sticks and harsh language.

As for that... thing, it could be something like another Trevenant: it's just there, not a new legendary or a new form of an old one.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I think you're taking things too strictly. First off, the Klink family look pretty smooth to me:

Sure, they have cogs cut into them (though that's kind of comes with being a gear, without them they'd just be a round plate) and Klinklank even has spikes, but look at the flat parts of their body. Smooth, no scratches, the middle "nose" even has a glare spot on it. If I were to through some water, goop, or whatever onto them I could see the stuff just sliding off as they just keep on spinning their gears.

Same for Regirock but in a different way:

Now while I would agree that the arms are very craggy, the body isn't so much. Yes it looks like parts of it has been chiseled to give its body "form", but each surface is smooth. It can even learn Rock Polish by TM. Once again, through some dirt or grime on it and I can see Regirock wiping it off with no problem.
I agree it should have been translated to smooth or clean body

Just want to mention that "Clear Body" was translated to "Neutraltorso" in German...maybe this helps with the issue?

Edit: Now that I think about it: I wonder when we will get news about the Pokemon Games in the future...

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Just want to mention that "Clear Body" was translated to "Neutraltorso" in German...maybe this helps with the issue?

Edit: Now that I think about it: I wonder when we will get news about the Pokemon Games in the future...
Spanish : Cuerpo Puro (pure body)
Chinese: 潔淨身體 (clean body)

Looks like we have all sorts of interpretations to this, haha.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Healthy Body/Clean Body/Pure Body actually makes the most sense when you look at what it does. They are healthy so they are immune to having their stats lowered. In other words, they never fight at anything less than peak condition. Clear Body takes some interpreting but Healthy Body makes it more obvious; if you're healthy, you're at your best. If you have a "Pure" or "Clean" body you don't suffer from imperfections, like sometimes having less attacking power than usual. If you think of stat lowering moves like status moves, it makes a lot more sense.

NEW MYSTERY: Where do Pokémon go when they explode? How are you able to heal something that exploded? I mean, it's not like they're just fainted, but blown to bits all over the battlefield.

Healthy Body/Clean Body/Pure Body actually makes the most sense when you look at what it does. They are healthy so they are immune to having their stats lowered. In other words, they never fight at anything less than peak condition. Clear Body takes some interpreting but Healthy Body makes it more obvious; if you're healthy, you're at your best. If you have a "Pure" or "Clean" body you don't suffer from imperfections, like sometimes having less attacking power than usual. If you think of stat lowering moves like status moves, it makes a lot more sense.
Indeed. And it makes perfect sense for Carbink/Diancie as they're composed of diamonds - pure, extremely compressed carbon. And diamonds are extremely hard, requiring another diamond to cut them usually. So Carbink/Diancie can shrug off outside attempts to lower their stats because of this. (and when Diancie Mega Evolves, it becomes so pure that Status category moves seemingly magically bounce right off its perfectly flawless body) It makes some sense with Klink, as its mini gears can separate from each other briefly thus making it incredibly difficult to jam something between the cogs to make them spin less efficiently. (though the generation shift wasn't very kind to Klink at least... it's all jerky in its spinning now)

It also makes sense for why the wielders can lower their own stats. Regirock may be unresponsive to intimidation, but slugging something with Superpower requires every once of physical strength it can muster - but it can't defend itself or physically attack as efficiently as before from the exertion. It can also utilize a curse to improve its physical offensive and defensive prowess and still be affected negatively by its speed being reduced in the process.

Tentacool is like 95% pure water, just like a real jellyfish, and... well, you can't exactly scare water to make it flow any differently than before, can you? (it also keeps some poisonous liquid in its body, which is less than beneficial for something using Giga Drain or Leech Life that happens to suck some of that up)

SwampySwampert The Pokemon itself doesn't explode into pieces, just unleashes all of its energy for battling at once in one explosive blast. I imagine that Explosion has the Pokemon draw whatever ambient energy it can into itself to unleash an extra oomph with what's loosed with Self-Destruct, but the Pokemon itself is perfectly fine, just unable to battle. So the answer is they go back into their ball/wherever wild Pokemon go when defeated to recuperate.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I imagine Healthy/Clean/Pure Body was probably interpretation of the Ability based on its effect. Clear Body was probably named so based on some physical attribute of the original Pokemon that got them.

I imagine Healthy/Clean/Pure Body was probably interpretation of the Ability based on its effect. Clear Body was probably named so based on some physical attribute of the original Pokemon that got them.
Yeah, clear body fits tentacruel much better. I usually don't associate poison-filled jellyfish with the words clean,healthy, or pure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)