General Introduce yourself!

Alright, so you're open to anything. If you take a look at the main page you'll notice that there are a lot of sections. Since you're so much into Pokemon Showdown! and competitive battling you could throw yourself into discussions in the Competitive Discussion subforum, as well as the PS! subforum. And perhaps even the Rate My Team subforum if you need help with your teams or want to help others with their teams. If you're interested in handheld console and Wi-Fi as well, let me know! There are a lot of fun places for that as well!
Ok, Thank You. I will certainly check out the Rate My Team sub-forum to get my team rated and soem of the sections on the Main Page. Thank you!

Hello, my name's Maël, I'm from France and I discovered Smogon 2 or 3 years ago:
My favourite mon: Joltic, no doubt he is and will ever be the cutest of da mons
  • Are you on PS? Yes, I'm Tynoo.
  • What you plan to do here: I wanna be better, i order to participate competitions as SPL or Smogon Tour.
  • Things you might need help with: My english for sure, I'm french so I think I have to improve in this way xD (Never hesitate to correct my mistakes !). And, my teambuilding is trash xD. I also rely way to heavily on mindgames.

Hello, my name's Maël, I'm from France and I discovered Smogon 2 or 3 years ago:
My favourite mon: Joltic, no doubt he is and will ever be the cutest of da mons
  • Are you on PS? Yes, I'm Tynoo.
  • What you plan to do here: I wanna be better, i order to participate competitions as SPL or Smogon Tour.
  • Things you might need help with: My english for sure, I'm french so I think I have to improve in this way xD (Never hesitate to correct my mistakes !). And, my teambuilding is trash xD. I also rely way to heavily on mindgames.

What's up Tynoo! I also think Joltik is super cute. I mean, look at it ;____;
Anyhow, I see you're having trouble with teambuilding. You should take a look at the Rate My Team section of Smogon. If you stick to the rules, there will be a lot of people willing to help you improve.

What's up Tynoo! I also think Joltik is super cute. I mean, look at it ;____;
Anyhow, I see you're having trouble with teambuilding. You should take a look at the Rate My Team section of Smogon. If you stick to the rules, there will be a lot of people willing to help you improve.
Thank you man, and I'm proud to see that you share my point of view on Joltic's cuteness

Hi there! My name is DocRichardHead, but you can call me Dr. Head. My real name is Nick, my favorite Pokemon is Dunsparce and my strategy for Pokemon teams consists of throwing random Pokemon together to see how they work and make changes from there.

Hi there! My name is DocRichardHead, but you can call me Dr. Head. My real name is Nick, my favorite Pokemon is Dunsparce and my strategy for Pokemon teams consists of throwing random Pokemon together to see how they work and make changes from there.
That's a funny strategy you have there. My real name is Andrew and I kinda have a similar strategy of team building. I think of like one or two pokemon and then have four other pokemon that cover that pokemon and help and support it and generally that strategy seems to work out for me very well. My only advice is keep putting stuff together and when you see a core that really works build a team around that core. It's always fun to just play around with different stuff on pokemon showdown. Hope you enjoy your time around smogon.

Hey guys. I'm isaweth. I'm an amateur competitive smash bros player from Toronto, but I'm trying to get into competitive pokemon to. I'm 15, and have been playing the series since Pokemon Emerald. I'm still developing a competitive team, but I want to include the final form my favourite pokemon, Shinx, which means a Luxray. Thanks for the website smogon. Happy gaming!

-Isaweth

ALRIGHT...im already lost in thought! So, im Nad...i like pokemon, i guess...i mostly play older generations (ever since my 3ds broke.) My favorite pokemon is definetly Clefable, but my favorite type is steel. Im pretty lazy, but try to get things accomplished! I hope smogon will be both helpful and fun!

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ah, I never introduced myself, so I thought I would start now :P.

Heya! I'm xVarsity, and also Venomous Toxic on Pokemon Showdown!. Unfortunately, I don't post on the forums much because I'm pretty crappy at this game and don't know enough :'). Anyways, I've been on Showdown for a bit over a year now and have been enjoying it. I actually didn't even know Smogon and PS existed until a friend back at the time challenged me to a battle on Showdown. Ever since then, I've pretty much just been hanging around and battling for fun. I like being competetive, but I'm ultimately bad LOL. I suck at team building, can't stand not playing offensively, and have been using just one team while playing UU on showdown for the most part haha. I think saying that I need a lot of help becoming a better team builder would be an understatement. Other than that, I think I could utilize a team nicely once I get used to it. I think I'm okay at battling. The one team that I have built and been using has been pretty successful, despite how bad it may look on paper. I've gotten up to #2 on the UU ladder with it at a point, but #1 was just too far away to get a grasp on. Oh, and my favorite pokemon is Salamence :).

Anyways, I pretty much just came to Smogon for the fun of competition. I was hoping I could improve my skills and knowledge as well. I think so far I've just gained some experience. I should be here for a while though and probably will try being a bit more active on the forums if I could find places to be useful lol. If I was wanting to learn one thing out of being around the forums, it would be how to become a good team builder >_>. Well, that's about all.

Last edited:
hey im yauch, named after the great adam yauch. pokemon pleb trying my hand at the OU meta (miyey on showdown) and tf2 6v6 player.

yeah im not fabulous at this game but i enjoy it

Hey Yauch welcome! I see you're interested in the Over Used tier which is great. If you are interested in OU, you will def want to check out the OU section of the forums located Here. I'll also supply you with a few helpful links, for team building and such. This link here is the viability ranking thread, ranks Pokemon based on their skill rather than usage. From this you can get an idea of what is, and isn't current meta. This is a post for some standard OU cores, made and or approved by top players; a team's core is essential and will be very helpful to build your team around. The OU section is under the Competitive Discussion section of our forums, which contains all of the Smogon tiers. I would also highley recommend you go and check out the Smogon Info / Intro Hub. Here you can get better introduced to the community, like with this thread. Lastley I'd recommend, that if you are familiar with Pokemon Showdown, Smogon's battle sim that you check out the two rooms: Competitive Tutoring & Overused. Both of these rooms seem like they would be a good fit for you. In the OU room, you can simply chat and talk about the OverUsed tier. In Competitive Tutoring, you can help, and receive help / guidance on competitive Pokemon.
To join either room, simply go to the Lobby and type: "/join ct" then type "/join ou". Of course, you can always scroll and find the rooms, but this process is much more simple.
If you have any questions let me know, also if you see me on PS! be sure to say hello!
cheers for that man :)

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Nice to meet a long time PS! player! I was introduced to PS! awhile ago as well, perhaps 1- 1 1/2 years ago. I never played consistently or got a registered account until a month or so ago. It's cool that you migrated to Smogon, there is a lot to offer here I can assure you of that. Since you discussed not being the best at comp/team building here are some useful links that I think you can benifit from. This link here is a link to UU Cores, picking one of these up to base your team around will prove very effective. Here is a link to UU sample teams, perhaps you can look at other player's teams and view the meta from another POV. This last link is the vanilla UnderUsed link, it will take you to the Under Used section of the forums. There is pretty much everything and anything UU. I am linking you to UU threads, because well you said your a UU player. Haha. Hope these help, also you may want to check out the Smogon Info / Intro Hub, and the Pokemon Showdown section of the forums. Pokemon Showdown contains everything related to PS! and Smogon Info /Intro Hub contains, well, everything Smogon related.

Quick Edit: Since you said you have been using the same team, I'd assume you've been working with it for a bit. Teams like that are perfect for the Rate My Team(RMT) section of Smogon, where players will give feedback on your teams. Be sure to read the posting rules, as there is a bit of exactness that needs to be followed upon posting.

Thanks a lot for this :). I'll be browsing through some of those links and trying to make use of them. As for the RMT, I'll try checking it out. Though my team is pretty permanent for me. It has obvious weaknesses but it has worked out for me a lot. I think making one of those would be messy, but I'll see about it and maybe give it a try :P.

Oh, uh, hello there.

I'll just cut to the chase. I've come here to Smogon looking to improve my competitive battling skills. It's sounds like it could be really fun, but there's so much to learn, I don't know if I'll ever be able to grasp it all. Honestly, I didn't even know what EV training was until a few months back. Even so, I'm eager to learn. I think I've got down the basics; you know, the different components to a team, how good teams have synergy with one another, what pokemon are generally good against others, things like that. But I don't really have a 'feel' for the game yet. Like, when I see an opposing team, I can't tell what would be a standard moveset or playing style for their pokemon because I just don't have the experience I need yet. If they start with a Forretress, I sort of assume that he'll be a spiker of some sort, but that's about the best I can get.

Really, I'm only looking for a place where I can learn what movesets specific pokemon will have, what different core sets work, etc. I like to battle OU, though I'm not very good yet.

And, yeah, I think that about covers it. Any responses would be lovely! =)

Oh, uh, hello there.

I'll just cut to the chase. I've come here to Smogon looking to improve my competitive battling skills. It's sounds like it could be really fun, but there's so much to learn, I don't know if I'll ever be able to grasp it all. Honestly, I didn't even know what EV training was until a few months back. Even so, I'm eager to learn. I think I've got down the basics; you know, the different components to a team, how good teams have synergy with one another, what pokemon are generally good against others, things like that. But I don't really have a 'feel' for the game yet. Like, when I see an opposing team, I can't tell what would be a standard moveset or playing style for their pokemon because I just don't have the experience I need yet. If they start with a Forretress, I sort of assume that he'll be a spiker of some sort, but that's about the best I can get.

Really, I'm only looking for a place where I can learn what movesets specific pokemon will have, what different core sets work, etc. I like to battle OU, though I'm not very good yet.

And, yeah, I think that about covers it. Any responses would be lovely! =)
Good day UltraFomi, and welcome to Smogon! This is definitely the right place to learn more about competitive battling. I advice you to first get to know the fundamentals, such as EV training, IVs and other basic game mechanics, before you start going more in-depth on teams. You'll understand everything better if you know the basics. After that, I think the Rate My Team section is a good place for you (be sure to read the rules first though). In the Rate My Team section (RMT for short), players are generous enough to rate teams and give very useful feedback. They'll explain what works and what doesn't, and you'll definitely learn a lot from it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask anyone here, or ask 'em in the Simple Questions thread.

Ah, thank you!

I'll be sure to check out the basics and the RMT. Sounds useful. I know I have a long way to go, but I can't wait to start battling like a real competitor. The people here on the battle simulator really know their stuff, don't they? Huh. Well, thanks again for the warm welcome.

Hey, Doc. Welcome! Not sure what tier you stick to, but that team building stratedgy may not work too well. Here at Smogon we have a lot to offer as support for team builders. If you go to the Competitive Discussion section of our forums, you can thus select your tier and find some very useful things; Things such as Sample Cores, Sample Teams, Viablity rankings, and other useful things. On Pokemon Showdown, there is the command /analysis. This command will take you to the Smogdex, here it will show common sets for that Pokemon, set details, and usage tips. If you specify the tier you commonly play in, I can get you some important links relative to that tier.
Also, a quick note. When you finish a team, have tested it, and are pretty satisfied with it. I'd recommend you go to our Rate My Team(RMT) section of the forums. In that section, top players are generous enough to rate teams and give very useful feedback. Hope you enjoy your stay here n_n
Ex. /analysis Suicune
I usually stick to OU. And most of the time, no it doesn't. Sure is fun though. I'll be sure to check out those sections you mentioned!

That's a funny strategy you have there. My real name is Andrew and I kinda have a similar strategy of team building. I think of like one or two pokemon and then have four other pokemon that cover that pokemon and help and support it and generally that strategy seems to work out for me very well. My only advice is keep putting stuff together and when you see a core that really works build a team around that core. It's always fun to just play around with different stuff on pokemon showdown. Hope you enjoy your time around smogon.
Interesting strat yourself. I don't tend to pay attention to cores (although I probably should). This is probably why I'm bad at pokemon lol

Hey UltraFomi and welcome! I see you are very eager to learn, and that is amazing. There is a lot to learn, and here at Smogon we have a lot to offer in that department. If you want to know more about Pokemon sets, I would recommend you check out the Smogdex. The Smogdex contains Pokemon set's, with their EVs, IVs, Moves, usage tips, team options, and even a list of checks / counters. You can view Pokemon Sets from Pokemon Showdown using the command "/analysis *Pokemon*" without the stars, so "/analysis Suicune" would be a perfect example. I'd also recommend you take a peak at the OverUsed section of Smogon. Here will contain post about anything and everything OU(Which seems to be your preferred tier.) The OU section will contain things like: Viability Rankings, Sample Cores, and tons of useful post. I would highly recommend you go through them. My last two mentions for competitive battling will have to be the Beginner's Request a Random Battle, thread & the Competitive Battling Basics Thread. In the Beginner's Request a Random Battle thread, you can battle other new player without having to go through the, what could be painful ladder. The Competitive Battling Basics, is, well what it sounds like; everything you'll need to know to get started in the competitive scene.
Aside from battling, it is also very important that you are familiar with Smogon, so you may want to go browse around the post in the Smogon Info / Intro Hub.
If you are familiar with Smogon's battle simulator Pokemon Showdown, I'd highly suggest you check out the two rooms: Competitive Tutoring & OverUsed. In Competitive Tutoring, you can help / get help from other players. In the Overused room, you may discuss anything and everything OU. On Smogon we also have a Pokemon Showdown section, which contains everything concerning the simulator. If you use PS! a lot, I'd recommend you check out that section as well!
As mentioned in the Original Post(OP), there is an IRC chat room that was made for new players. Some old players, including myself will be there to answer any questions you may have. Or to just hang out and chat. Whenever I'm online, I'll be sure to be in there! If you see me on the IRC channel, or on PS! be sure to say hello!
http://spo.ink/sihchat
Wow! All of this sounds great! Honestly, when I first jumped on, I was quite intimidated by the amount of information Smogon had--which is a good thing. Everyone here sounded like they knew the in's and out's of every pokemon, and here I was not even knowing some basic cores. I didn't even know where to start. I've tried a few battles in the PS! and got beat pretty quickly; the Beginner's Request a Random Battle thread looks perfect for me while I'm still learning the ropes.

And this Smogdex sounds especially promising. I do happen to like OU, and though I don't have much experience with it, I know that I'm enjoying that tier. There's so much to learn, now the problem is not where to start but rather how much time I have.

You seem to be a very dedicated Smogoner (is that the word?). You completely and thoroughly answered all my questions, including the ones I didn't ask. Thank you for that! For a new person like me, it's easy to become overwhelmed with the vast amount of knowledge expected for competitive battling. You've made that learning curve a little easier. I'll start reading through all the threads you mentioned and try out a few battles of my own, only this time I'll try with other beginners instead of seasoned players. Who knows? I might actually win one.

Thanks again! You've really shown me a great welcome.

Wow! All of this sounds great! Honestly, when I first jumped on, I was quite intimidated by the amount of information Smogon had--which is a good thing. Everyone here sounded like they knew the in's and out's of every pokemon, and here I was not even knowing some basic cores. I didn't even know where to start. I've tried a few battles in the PS! and got beat pretty quickly; the Beginner's Request a Random Battle thread looks perfect for me while I'm still learning the ropes.

And this Smogdex sounds especially promising. I do happen to like OU, and though I don't have much experience with it, I know that I'm enjoying that tier. There's so much to learn, now the problem is not where to start but rather how much time I have.

You seem to be a very dedicated Smogoner (is that the word?). You completely and thoroughly answered all my questions, including the ones I didn't ask. Thank you for that! For a new person like me, it's easy to become overwhelmed with the vast amount of knowledge expected for competitive battling. You've made that learning curve a little easier. I'll start reading through all the threads you mentioned and try out a few battles of my own, only this time I'll try with other beginners instead of seasoned players. Who knows? I might actually win one.

Thanks again! You've really shown me a great welcome.
The original post on this thread also has a chat room you can join and I can help you out with those as well. Also you're right there is a beggeners thing for new people to battle. I can also go on Pokemon showdown and spend a few hours training you and helping you get better as well. Feel free to pm me if you need help as well.

Hello everyone! I just made an account on this forum and I wanted to introduce myself.
I may be new here but I've been playing in Showdown for a while; I love pokemon and I really want to learn more about the competitive aspect of this game (I recently came back from a long break, it's amazing to see how much the metagame changed only with the release of ORAS, several pokemon became really viable meanwhile others who already where, became less reliable).
English is not my first language but I'll try my best to write decent posts with nice content n.n

Hello. I joined Smogon today and am interested in finding someone to tutor me and teach me about EVs, IVs, and what the Natures mean, since I know nothing about any of it. Not looking for friends, just wanted to put myself out into the Poke-verse!

Good day.

You all can just call me Phantom. Having been involved with competitive battling for many years since my youth, and while I can't say I'm competitively skillful as far as expectations here go as far, I do wish to contribute to the community with the current knowledge I possess.

'Tis a pleasure to meet you all, and any assistance in helping me achieve what I wish to here would very much be appreciated. An early thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)