Media Videogame thread

Although I sort of agree, I must say that newer open world games aren't bad at all. It's just that there are way too many of them. But saying they ruined previous good series for you sounds a bit exaggerated, imho. I mean, if you don't like it, just don't play it. I don't see how those newer open world games affect older open world games for you in a negative way.
I meant they ruined series that weren't open world before it was the "it" thing. If I want to know how the Witcher or the Dragon Age trilogies end, I have to play them, but I just can't enjoy them as much.

Of course part of the reason why I can't stand them anymore is that there are too many. I mean, even Metal Gear of all things is open world now.

Last edited:

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Scalebound is like a combination of Monster Hunter, DMC, and Final Fantasy or something, looks great to boot (although I'm not a huge fan of the voice acting for the mc)!

Not to mention it's from Platinum Games *-* so I bet it's gonna be just as epic if not even more so than Bayonetta 2 and the Wonderful 101. A shame it's been dragged into the exclusives war though.

*and this is pre-alpha-gameplay :o

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I saw that a while ago when it was first released and goddamn that looks disappointing as hell. I was expecting a hack 'n slash but what we got was more ARPG or Darksiders-esque which is... disappointing, to say the least.

Not to mention the main character is a danti riding a dragon. Can't get cheesier than that.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Beat Xenoblade Chronicles last week. Holy shit that game was good. I definitely recommend it to anyone who loves RPGs regardless if they are JRPGs or not. In fact, I would recommend it even if you don't care much for RPGs at all, it's just that good.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I hate open world games... why do they need to make every game a Skyrim clone these days? they've ruined several series like Dragon Age, The Witcher, Final Fantasy, and others for me.
Because Skyrim sold like no other RPG (not named Pokemon) had sold before.

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
Okay so I heard of this game from a YouTube reviewer I watch, tried it out, and was amazed and omg you guys need to try it.

It's called Mibibli's Quest. Think Mega Man meets Earthbound's randomness with a touch of Silent Hill creepiness. Seriously, the things you fight in this game are both disturbing and fascinating; decapitated heads of yourself, hashtags, and there's even a satanic cult performing human sacrifices. Its traumatizing, but memorable. The level design and music is amazing as well, and its a must-play for any 2D retro platformer fan, or any fan of Megaman.

also its free to download though you should probably donate money to the man who spent two years of his life making it

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Anyone else playing Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold?

I've already restarted a few times because I couldn't get a party that clicked with me, but now I'm in a groove and making good progress. In the last couple days I've played through the first stratum and the first floor of Ginnungagap on Expert difficulty.

Current party set-up:
Highlander | Ronin
Sovereign | Gunner | Beast

I'm having a lot of fun with EOU2 Classic, just got to the 3rd stratum. Party is

War Magus (Sovereign stats) / Beast / Ronin (Highlander stats)
Gunner / Hexer

I really like my party composition right now except for the Hexer, EO is one of the rare cases where status effects are useful but if you're missing with Hexer you're just throwing turns away, compared to Nightseeker/Dark Hunter/Arcanist where status moves always have some kind of useful side effect. It's not quite at EO4 level for me but it's a massive step up over EOU and I'm really liking it overall, a lot of the older classes have some nice tweaks (Protector doesn't just boil down to Front Guard over and over!), Force skills are great, and grimoires are improved, if still kind of frustratingly random.

Really hoping they do an Untold 3 now, or actually make Etrian Odyssey 5 happen (it's been 8 months since the teaser trailer and we've gotten absolutely nothing).

I'm super burnt out on EO after playing EOU and Persona Q in a relatively short timeframe, but I'll definitely maybe get to EOU2 eventually.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Anyone else playing Bloodborne? Frustrating, annoying as hell, OK in terms of overall entertainment value, my brother warned me against playing it when he was done with it, strongly implying that it was beyond me so I, of course, had to give it a shot. Still have The Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight waiting to be conquered, but let's be honest, they're never going to see the light of day once my pre ordered copy of FIFA 16 lands at my doorstep in a few weeks' time.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Anyone else playing Bloodborne? Frustrating, annoying as hell, OK in terms of overall entertainment value, my brother warned me against playing it when he was done with it, strongly implying that it was beyond me so I, of course, had to give it a shot. Still have The Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight waiting to be conquered, but let's be honest, they're never going to see the light of day once my pre ordered copy of FIFA 16 lands at my doorstep in a few weeks' time.
Bloodborne is only like the best video game ever made

A souls game with actual production values? And Miyazaki repping the best level design since Demon's? And a lack of obtuse system bullshit that dragged the other games down? With combat that makes character action games look lame? Ye

You'll get as much out of it as you put into it. It's an actually hard game that rewards learning the system.

edit: the setting and story are pretty tight too

Last edited:
Bloodborne is probably the worst Souls game but that's still like an 8-9/10, hoping they announce some more stuff about the DLC already

Am I the only one that's having a really fun time with DmC lately?

At first, I was really, really adverse to trying it out; I heard some pretty mixed stuff about it at first and seeing Dante changed appearance-wise threw me off to a point where I wasn't very keen on getting it for the PS3...but after taking the nostalgia goggles off, I decided to try it out and I honestly haven't regretted it! It's honestly just like the past DmC games in the classic hack-and-slash department and it doesn't disappoint. :>

...Sadly, I wish I'd suck a lot less at it, but 'tis the price to say when you're starting off on Devil Hunter (Hardcore) mode. ~_~

Another game that I've bought and had some fun with is Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate. Now, I'm not a huge fan of the game's overall concept, though after watching some trailers and whatnot, the only thing that intrigued me was how you were in a real-time war environment and being able to take on hundreds if not thousands of enemies is a bit mind-boggling but amazing at the same time! Sadly, I haven't played it much as of late because the storyline kind of bores me and I'm more interested in the fighting than I am with the story, which takes more of a backseat to things. All I know is that there's some huge shit going on with a Hydra and I had to stop it and all. Weird stuff.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dragon age inquisition, assassin's creed black flag, infamous second son, shadows of mirror, god of war, the last of us, bloodborne are the ones I've been playing primarily for the last year or so

If I have the time I like games like pokemon or final fantasy but I don't have the free time for random encounter grinders these days.

Just bought a new gaming PC and downloaded steam, any recommendations aside from the witcher 3?
If you don't mind Early Access, and your PC can handle it, I highly recomend ARK: Survival Evolved. One of my favorite games right now, it's taken up a few hundred hours of my life now. If you like dinosaurs, you'll want to try it.

I did it I finally beat sonic boom shattered crystals. The 3ds version is more playable than the wii U version at least but goodness the game really needed some work. I feel through the stage to -_-. There were some fun parts though I thought some of the races for shattered crystals was ok and the worm tunnels were fun but the game was boring and repetitive. I hope Sonic boom fire and Ice will be better. Doubt it though...

Morfent

formerly known as clifford the big red pawg
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Undertale's a great RPG somewhat similar to Earthbound. The game will remember what you've done in past playthroughs outside of a couple special cases. How you treat enemies can radically change the story of the game; you can choose to either kill all the enemies in a genocide run, or give them all mercy in a pacifist run. A pacifist run is fairly easy, but with genocide, the two bosses you don't kill in one hit are the hardest in the game.
I just wish I didn't fuck up in the genocide run and miss the items you can't backtrack for because the Sans fight is an utter bitch when the best healing items you have are Legendary Heroes.

Thinking about buying a Pheonix Wright game. I was hoping for some input on which one I should try first, or if I should just go for Ace Attorney. It seems like a fun game, but I want to know if the newer titles are any better than the first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)