The Everything some hero (NFL) Thread - 2015-16 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's simple. The average NFL fan is too blinded with Patriots hate to see how the league is at fault. This is because the media wants people to believe they cheated and people are too lazy to actually research the situation and form their own opinion. That's why.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't know, if I were 100% positive I was innocent of what I was being accused of I would make EVERY effort to cooperate fully, because refusing anything just makes you look more suspicious. Obviously that's not real proof, but perception is reality unfortunately.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Waterbomb if you were accused of being a drug mule and were directed by an police officer to go to the nearest bathroom and submit to an immediate cavity search, would you comply to make sure the cop thought of you as cooperative and therefore innocent? Keep in mind this is the investigative officer that you're trying to appease not the final judge... But I guess that could be understandably confused since the NFLs process had the investigator double as prosecutor as well.

Yeah that's an extreme analogy relative to what we're talking about here but bad logic is not tied to context.

I don't know, if I were 100% positive I was innocent of what I was being accused of I would make EVERY effort to cooperate fully, because refusing anything just makes you look more suspicious. Obviously that's not real proof, but perception is reality unfortunately.
Tom Brady now has hundreds of his own private emails on the internet, anyone questioning his transparency should have their head examined.

And the fact that the NFLPA asked for these records to unsealed against the NFL's wishes should clear up any doubts about who really has the most to hide.

All this while the NFL's "independent" investigator claims attorney client privilege when the NFLPA asked for info about the interviews he conducted.

Wake up sheeple.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When investigators go through a phone looking for evidence in a case, they are looking for things related to the case. They aren't going to give a rat's ass about the naughty emails you sent your wife or other unrelated things, and they certainly aren't going to share them with anyone outside the investigation. So a few members of an investigative team saw some of your private emails? Is preventing that worth more than adding unneeded suspicion to yourself in a case where you are innocent?

You can't sit there and tell me when this story first broke it was totally unreasonable to suspect Tom Brady had some knowledge of it. Before we saw all this garbage unfold and the story first broke, Tom Brady was naturally going to be a suspect, which means he'd be investigated. It's also reasonable to expect that any investigation into the matter would require looking at conversations he had between the staff members in question. This means his phone was going to be a prime source of evidence from the very beginning.

As for your comment TheValkyries, I'm not even going to address an idiotic analogy like that. Now, if we were making a similar analogy of, say, my own phone. Yes, if I were suspected of being a drug mule by the police and they requested my phone, I would give it right up without a second thought no matter how innocent I was. Sure they may see a few dirty text messages I sent to my wife or my emails to my pastor about the struggles I'm having, but a few detectives knowing that information is sure as shit better than adding further suspicion to a case where serious jail time is possible.

ffs, I don't even think Tom Brady is guilty either. I just think the Patriots fans in here are swinging the damn pendulum to the other extreme.

TheValkyries

You're not engaging the analogy that uses the same logic. Why is your privacy unimportant and worth sacrificing to assuage the concerns of the investigator in one case but not the other? What significant difference is there? Is there a threshold in which it's okay for one instance? What's the threshold? Why?

Again: bad logic is not inextricably tied to circumstance and context. The extremity of the analogy was the point.

And like holy fuck yeah pretzels is making a big deal about this whole thing but he's doing so because it's frustrating and ridiculous because WE SOMEHOW STILL have to have this stupid ass conversation about the Patriots being "cheaters" all the fucking time. Like you're saying "it's not a big deal get over it" in the same breath as you continue to justify the line of thinking that permeates through the conversation about the Patriots org and fandom. In reality it should be Patriots fans saying "they've won a lot of games and are a successful franchise on their own merits... Yall need to get over it".

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
I don't understand what's wrong with my logic. Privacy is important under normal circumstances, but when you're a suspect in the investigation of an incident and your "private" matters may contain crucial evidence then your privacy becomes secondary. Hell, if you really want me to address your specific analogy then fine. I WOULD allow an officer to perform a cavity search on me if he explained I was a suspect in a drug investigation first. Tom Brady being asked to surrender his phone in this case was a perfectly viable request considering what had happened, and he should have understood that his position on the team made him vulnerable to suspicion. Even if you are innocent, you are the only person who knows that for sure. This is why you are called a "suspect". Now of course we'll never really know, because he smashed his phone, fueling suspicion even MORE. I mean, he could very easily have orchestrated this whole thing and refused to give up his phone so he'd have time to delete or destroy the evidence. Point is nobody knows for sure, and implying there was never any reason to suspect him in the first place is silly.

And for the last time, NOBODY IN THIS THREAD IS CALLING THE PATRIOTS CHEATERS. Stop projecting other ignorant plebs' stupid arguments onto people here, because we know better.

Onto more fun news, I agree with Killah. Even though it's preseason, I'm ready for some football.

Just a couple takeaways from this past week:
- So for the 2nd straight year, the Seahawks and Broncos play in the preseason. I think the result will be no different though.
- Tim Brown is finally a HoFer after being robbed multiple times.
- Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin were selected as Pro Bowl Captains.
- Arian Foster and DeSean Jackson got injured and will miss a lot of regular season action for the former and a couple weeks of training camp maybe the week 1 opener for the latter.
- Tom Brady is taking most of the 1st team reps despite the uncertainty of his suspension.
- Kam Chancellor is still bitching about money despite him being locked in contract for another few seasons and continues his silly holdout.

TheValkyries

I mean yeah you're not calling them cheaters you're only saying very reasonably and neutrally that the people accusing them of being cheaters just have a point, that's all! Not like you're implicitly endorsing that statement in doing so! You're just, you know, openly disagreeing with people on what qualifies as evidence against a person. Not to mention youre doing so with a defense that is basically "guilty until proven innocent" and frighteningly fascist rofl.

Hey man, do you tho!

When investigators go through a phone looking for evidence in a case, they are looking for things related to the case. They aren't going to give a rat's ass about the naughty emails you sent your wife or other unrelated things, and they certainly aren't going to share them with anyone outside the investigation. So a few members of an investigative team saw some of your private emails? Is preventing that worth more than adding unneeded suspicion to yourself in a case where you are innocent?
Why would Tom Brady, the most famous athlete in america for the last 15 years, give phone to Rodger effin Goodell and his brainless minions? Who as one columnist put it this week: "Couldn’t pour juice out of his loafers if the instructions were written on the heel."

Which of these scenarios is the more likely reason he didn't turn over his phone?

Tom Brady sent nefarious texts to the equipment manager to tell a ballboy to deflate 11 footballs by .2 PSI on the night of the AFC Championship game.

or

Knowing that the NFL front office is completely incompetent, he didn't trust them with the details of his private life.

The NFL has done nothing to earn the trust of its players.

I'd question his decision making more if he LET them have the phone.

Last edited:

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
I mean yeah you're not calling them cheaters you're only saying very reasonably and neutrally that the people accusing them of being cheaters just have a point, that's all! Not like you're implicitly endorsing that statement in doing so! You're just, you know, openly disagreeing with people on what qualifies as evidence against a person. Not to mention youre doing so with a defense that is basically "guilty until proven innocent" and frighteningly fascist rofl.

Hey man, do you tho!
I'm done talking to you. You're deliberately missing my point so you have an excuse to throw sarcasm-laden insults at me.

As for Pretzels, that is a fair point. However, all I said was we don't know for sure. Obviously it's highly unlikely Tom Brady had anything to do with the planning of it, but it's also not all that implausible to think he may have known about it. I do agree with you on the incompetence of Goodell and his crew, so that's also a completely plausible scenario. At this point we'll never know, so hopefully we'll get done with this ordeal quickly, Brady's suspension will be reduced or removed and we can talk about football again.

NFL has gotten out of hand with all these players getting into trouble with the law, LOL. No such thing as making an example of someone, these idiots will still go out and do stupid things.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
When you think about NFL players' run ins with the law, they aren't that much more uncommon in comparison to the public. I get they need to be held to a higher standard, but the point is that these players have run-ins about as often as a typical person would, i.e. only a few out of a large group are true troublemakers (and others have occasional minor altercations).

When you think about NFL players' run ins with the law, they aren't that much more uncommon in comparison to the public. I get they need to be held to a higher standard, but the point is that these players have run-ins about as often as a typical person would, i.e. only a few out of a large group are true troublemakers (and others have occasional minor altercations).
When you're being paid millions to play football at the highest professional level, you shouldn't be Driving Under Influence or vandalizing or punch your fiancée in an elevator. These are common sense things. Also, drugs are also a problem. Seems like people can't control their urges despite their contracts. Some NFL players are just dumbasses

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
When you're being paid millions to play football at the highest professional level, you shouldn't be Driving Under Influence or vandalizing or punch your fiancée in an elevator. These are common sense things. Also, drugs are also a problem. Seems like people can't control their urges despite their contracts. Some NFL players are just dumbasses
I even pointed out that these people need to be held to a higher standard; i merely wanted to point out that these incidents aren't that common from player to player and a few bad eggs are spoiling the bunch.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
I wonder how much of this is affected by some of these players being pushed through grade school and college because of high athletic talent and scholarships? I'm quite sure a few of these guys probably couldn't even pass 9th grade right now if you put them there. In my opinion too many athletes are being encouraged to forego their educations for lucrative sports opportunities, and it's going to hurt them later in life.

In my opinion too many athletes are being encouraged to forego their educations for lucrative sports opportunities, and it's going to hurt them later in life.
Such is the curse of society. If you have athletic talent, people will want to recruit you. And the said player will just want to get paid playing sports instead of being balanced in sporting talent(pun intended) in athleticism and education. But hey, colleges and teams don't care. Are you a good player? Yes. Welcome aboard. (Granted, reputations can be everything. No team wants Ray Rice because of his baggage but some teams could very well be in need of a back like him.)

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Per my arguments back with the Ray Rice thing, I don't think they actually should be held to a higher standard. But seeing as how they are, and they know that going into the whole thing, they should probably try to be more discerning of their actions.

Not that anybody should be doing some of these things and being coddled through school has nothing to do with it. You don't have to read good and wanna learn to do other stuff good too, to know that drunk driving and smashing up other people's property is bad mmkay?

Oh the Irony
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/08/goodell-calls-brady-a-great-young-man/
The integrity of the game is the most important thing,” Goodell said. “The integrity of the game is something we will always protect. The rules apply to everybody. That is my job in particular, to make sure everyone from our players to our coach, to our fans and our partners, that they all recognize we’re going to play by these sets of rules, and that’s part of our values and standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)