Little things you like about Pokémon

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Day and night cycles are one of my favourite things to grace the series. The small superficial changes to the environment are really enjoyable to me, the sky being gray-ish in the morning, turning orange before dusk, seeing the building lights turned on (and off after 00:00), the different Pokemon that can be caught at different stages of the day, and the slower-paced music late night in certain areas add a sense of immersion and realism to me. It really is a shame Game Freak bumped it in Gen III, as it gives more life to the game to me.

Adding onto that, seasons. Aside from the Pokemon, the changing seasons were the chief reason Gen V are my favourite games. Seeing half of Unova snowed under, as well as snowfalls occurring in northerly cities rather than rain was a nice touch. Ice Pokemon become more common, and you can see from the plants and grass surrounding that it's cold. Spring gets frequent rain and blooming flowers, Summer has Stunfisk roaming towns early in the evening, and Autumn has falling leaves everywhere, allowing you to reach places you couldn't in another season.

But it's the little details behind this that make it especially amazing. People wear weather-appropriate clothes in Castellia City, and the days length actually change depending on the season -- the entire reason our planet has them. In winter, the sun rises late and sets early; you can turn on your game early in the evening and see it be totally dark outside, while in summer, the sun is up until 21:00. I do love these small things. Although the time and season cycles are almost entirely cosmetic, Game Freak seems to have put a lot of effort into them.

My favorite location in the entire series is the Bell Tower as seen in HeartGold and SoulSilver. Mainly for the trees.

I mean, look at it!
As I've said before, I love Halloween and I love fall. Seeing all these beautiful autumnal colors just makes me incredibly happy, especially since I live in an area where trees are green until December, in which the leaves are orange for about 5 seconds then fall off.
I really like that area as well. It's unusual that this is the only area in the northern locations of Johto where it looks like Autumn, but I feel it's significant to the bird at the top of the tower you're about to enter; Autumn leaves are a rainbow of colors. Ho-Oh is the Rainbow Pokemon, and you can't access this area without at least the Rainbow Wing. But to further add to the atmosphere of this tiny little location... there's no background music playing at all. You can hear your character's footsteps through the leaves, among other things, but the silence speaks volumes more than whatever tune they could have programmed in. It was like this too back in gen 2, but the limited graphics didn't allow for the scene provided in the remakes.
The first gym in B2W2. The gym actually looks like a place where Pokémon trainers study under the guidance of a Gym Leader, rather than an elaborate and pointless dungeon existing solely for housing a "boss battle". It has loads of little details, but my personal favourite is the field marker and rake leaning against the fence in the back yard. Gyms always look like pointless, elaborate mazes where gym trainers and Leaders have no reason to be except for providing the player with battles, but that equipment in Aspertia Gym tells of a place that has to be maintained by its users to function. It isn't sustained solely by the needs of the plot (see for instance Opelucid Gym), but is a place where battles take place and people clean up the field afterwards. It just makes the world so much more immersive.
My favorite detail about this gym is when you engage one of the trainers in battle. Your character automatically walks to the opposite side of the marked battle field, then both your character and the trainer take a step back from the center line before battle starts. It's so... proper. And unlike nearly every other first gyms in the franchise, (the first four anyway) you must challenge both gym trainers before Cheren will accept your challenge. I don't see it as him wanting to see you prove your worth of challenging him, but rather wanting you to help his students practice what they've been learning before battling him. It is the Trainer's School, after all, and I love that. Its normalcy is also perfectly fitting for the new location of where the Basic Badge is earned, as is the basic gym theme.

Speaking of that, I like how each gym in B2/W2 had its own variation of the gym theme. I liked how as you defeat Roxie's band members, their instruments in the theme cut out, reminding you which ones have been beaten already. Roxie's chanting, "P! O! K! E! M! ON! - POKEMON!" (even backed up by the drummer if you listen closely enough) in the English version, is also a neat touch to her gym's theme and gimmick. Only slight downside is that after THE EPIC of Opelucid's gym theme... Humilau's gym theme almost makes you forget what you're there for. You just wanna chill, man... until you look back at the screen and note the pillars by the entrance and remember "oh yeah. Badge."

I liked how the gen 5 games played around with the background music, adding in instruments in places as you walk, the buildup to the Victory Road theme as you passed through each gate in B/W, even how the Chargestone Cave's theme gets deeper and slower as you go into the lower levels. Would be nice if this sort of thing ever returns outside of a theoretical gen 5 remake.

I liked the OR/AS ending, before Delta Episode, where you face Brendan/May one last time, complete with their starter getting to Mega Evolve. And even spotting the same puddle that's in the opening. (though... where did that Skitty come from? They don't normally appear in that route)

Also, I like that they gave Beedrill a serious Mega Evolution to be as terrifying as its Pokedex entries and the anime tend to make it out to be. It even looks dangerous, and I find it amusing that its abdomen has grooves for its lower pair of stingers to rest in.

I liked the OR/AS ending, before Delta Episode, where you face Brendan/May one last time, complete with their starter getting to Mega Evolve. And even spotting the same puddle that's in the opening.
That part gave me shivers down my spine. Awesome moment.

Also, I like that they gave Beedrill a serious Mega Evolution to be as terrifying as its Pokedex entries and the anime tend to make it out to be. It even looks dangerous, and I find it amusing that its abdomen has grooves for its lower pair of stingers to rest in.
Agreed 100%

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Walking through the Badge Check gates in Black and White.

At first, it's silent. You only hear the wind blowing. But as you pass the first gate, a snare drum starts to play. And the next gate adds another drum beat. As you keep walking through the gates, the music builds up one instrument at a time, until the end when the Victory Road theme hits you with full force. Awesome.

Actually, the dynamic background music in Gen. V was awesome in general, and the one thing I missed the most in Gen. VI. Here's hoping it will return in some later generation.

Speaking of dynamic background music. One of my favorite relaxing soundtracks in the game was in Village Bridge specifically for that reason. The only thing that "ruined" that area was encountering Pokemon so I would always stock up on Super Repels so that way I could enjoy my time there.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Walking through the Badge Check gates in Black and White.

At first, it's silent. You only hear the wind blowing. But as you pass the first gate, a snare drum starts to play. And the next gate adds another drum beat. As you keep walking through the gates, the music builds up one instrument at a time, until the end when the Victory Road theme hits you with full force. Awesome.

Actually, the dynamic background music in Gen. V was awesome in general, and the one thing I missed the most in Gen. VI. Here's hoping it will return in some later generation.
I loved the background music of Gen V.
Gen 6 was a bit disappointing.

I appreciate how in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, in one of the early routes I believe, there is the opportunity to give another fellow Trainer a healing item to help out their Pokémon. You don't get anything for it in return like you normally do; they just say thank you to you. Now, some people may consider that to be a bit rubbish, wasting one of their items, but to me, it just made me appreciate that you can help out other people without expecting anything out of it. I think that small moment in the game made me a little bit more compassionate in real life.

I like that FRLG made fly spots at the Pokémon Centers of Mt. Moon and Rock Tunnel. While this seems really small in comparison to ORAS having fly spots to... EVERYWHERE, it was really nice to not have to pointlessly backtrack to the east of Cerulean just to get to the Power Plant.

I also really love that in HGSS Giovanni in that one event was given a Honchkrow. It just fits him so fucking much and much moreso than Cyrus. I'm glad they felt the need to expand his team beyond Ground-types.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Just going to make quick comments on a few things already mentioned.

Shiny Sableye & Eon Duo: Another neat thing about Shiny Sableye is the color of its gems. Normal Sableye only has red and blue gems, and being its a Gen III Pokemon come could say that's a reference to Ruby & Sapphire. Well Shiny Sableye has green and yellow gems, so not only does it add an Emerald reference but also a reference to the first gen of Pokemon.
Another neat Gen III Shiny trivia: The normally blue and red Latios and Latias turn cyan and yellow in their Shiny forms, respectively. Well in light color mixing, guess what color you need to mix with blue to get cyan and mix with red to get yellow? That's right, green. Yet another subtle Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald reference. ;)

Gyms Puzzles: While I do like it when they show the Gym Leader being competent with having Pokemon that subverts the type advantage (such as Viola having a Surskit for those Fennekin trainers), from a Gym its not just the battles that intrigues me. For the most part the "dungeons" in Pokemon games are either natural structures (caves and forests) or buildings. And while they do their best to make some of these locations interesting (such as Unova's electrical Chargestone Cave, Kalos mirror full Reflection Cave), the "dungeons" I always look most forward to are the Gym puzzles because they're allowed to go beyond what is natural. If I had to pick some of my favorites it would be Goldrenrod Gym (if only because the floor structure was made to look like a Clefairy... even though they'd probably need to change it now (probably to a Jigglypuff, though as of now Munchlax is the only Normal-type that knows Metronome)), Blackthorn Gym because of the sheer obscurity of it (I don't know how in the world they got approval), many of the Sinnoh Gyms (its between a flower clock, smashing pile of tires with punching bags, messing with the plumbing, and math problems), most of Unova League Gyms (most favorite is BW's Mistralton for that cannon which shoots you into the wall and you comically slide down), and the Kalos League Gyms that took advantage of the new 3D graphics (like Cyllage Gym's rock climbing, Coumarine's climbing and swinging up & around a giant tree, and Olypmia's psychedelic maze in space). Gyms are really when the game designers can have some fun with the puzzles. Heck even Gyms which are just battling trainers like the first Gyms, Petalburg Gym, DP's Eterna Gym (combined with a game of hide and seek), HGSS's Cinnabar Gym, etc. are still interesting as they try to make the Gym surrounding look interesting and appropriate (my favorite of these is HGSS Violet Gym only because those who played GSC go in expecting the dollar sign layout only to find a platform... which then SHOOTS THEM UP to the ceiling where they find the gym hanging in the air. It's a nice update). Speaking of which I do like the updates they've down with the gyms in HGSS and ORAS, makes them fresh and new again and takes advantage of the better graphics of the times.

Nature Power In Space: I love that little attention to detail, I wonder if they just remembered Nature Power existed or did they go through all the moves and Abilities just to make sure there wouldn't be a problem with any (though now that makes me wonder if Earthquake would work when in space...). Connected to that they also have it change for other things you wouldn't immediately think it would:

1. While soaring in the air or on Sky Pillar they have Nature Power turn to Air Slash which is a nice touch too (sadly in XY when used in Sky Battles it was just Tri Attack). I kind of wished it also did Draco Meteor for Sky Pillar, but had they done that it being Draco Meteor in space probably wouldn't be that special.
2. The Terrain moves also changes what it becomes. Grassy Terrain is Energy Ball (like on normal Grass), Misty Terrain is Moonblast, and Electric Terrain is Thunderbolt. Yeah for attention to detail!

Character Details: Though people joked about how sitting on chairs and benches was the "best thing evar" when revealed, it does add a tiny bit. Crouching down to talk with small Pokemon and kids, sitting down, the way your character moves while skating, and then ORAS adding in more facial expressions, it gives much more character. Which they should, now that we've moved to 3D we can have such body quirks such as Wulfric smacking his belly, Tierno dancing, Furisode Girl spinning around in place (well actually that was kind of lazy, but at least it looked funny). I'm hoping as we go on they experiment more with adding more and more unqiue animations like maybe have Trainer Classes have their own animation and maybe even give the player a menu of animations they can do (sort of like Animal Crossing with the emotions).

Fairy Cute: While the Fairy Pokemon do have the cute thing down, I so also like how GF did their homework. For anyone who knows about a bit of ye olde Fairy lore, they were anything BUT cute. And this is reflected by us having some Fairy Pokemon which may seem odd at first until you know their origins. Mawile seems like an odd choice until you remember its based on a yokai which have fairy-like elements, Carbink is based on a fairy called a carbuncle, Mr. Mime's creepiness seem way off unless you know that's sort of how fairy were originally presented as (well, not like mimes, but they were humanoid-like with something creepy and off about them). Xerneas is the poster Fairy Legendary and its not cute, preferring to go with the more mystical side of Fairy. Also Fairy being weak to Steel is a nice reference to olde Fairy weakness to cold iron.

Different Ways to Battle: While some recent ways to battle haven't gone over so well like Sky Battles, I do like GF is trying to add some different ways to battle and even coming up with one of the best ones with Inverse Battles (which they seemed to have abandoned Sky Battles for if ORAS is anything to go by). Gen V's Triple Battles and Rotational Battles were also interesting additions (if underused) as well as the special rules used in Battle Facilities (and then we have Pokemon Contests). It sort of a proof of concept that the mechanics of the game aren't just good for single and double battles, rather they are a base which you can build upon, and that's a sign of good game design when it's so adaptable. Heck the type chart alone has been used in other Pokemon games when nothing else was.

Training To Be Super: I like how GF, despite people claiming otherwise, try to help with IV and EV training. When previously they tried pretending it was just how things naturally were and they couldn't be changed, over they years they've implemented tools in helping make it easier even to those who don't IV or EV train. Various items now have an effect while Breeding, Super Training puts EVs where you want them, and Legendaries now come with three stats at 31. There's of course still some improvements that can be made, but at this rate we should get those in time in some shape or form.

Name Game: Not only did the Kalos Route have names but they were in French which was very nice to see being the region is based on Paris. With the games needing to be translated in order to understand them, it's nice to have those places where you keep the language of the region's basis to help mold the feel of the origin. I also hope they keep that little detail in future games especially now that we're going all over the world.

Pokemon-Amie: For a franchise that encourages you to bond with your Pokemon, up till now it was pretty limited in how to do so. At best in HGSS you could interact with the Pokemon following you. Pokemon-Amie is what the franchise really needed. You can now really play, pet, and feed your Pokemon and they react appropriately. And they really put a lot of work into it, many Pokemon have spots they don't want you touching (or do if they don't like you. Did you know if you try petting an Espurr's/Meowstic's ear they back off... unless they don't like you. Remember, they get their devastating Psychic power from the secondary brains in their ears...) and their are some places on a Pokemon which you can't touch. And then there are some Pokemon you can't touch period (poor Slugma, even ghosts can be "pet" though its indicated your hand it going through them). But all this detail adds to the experience and makes it feel each Pokemon is unique (species wise, one Pikachu acts like another Pikachu. Sadly Natures don't play a part in Pokemon-Amie either) and helps you bond in different ways with your Pokemon who even gets some benefits for it (Critical hitting a Shiny Pokemon when you didn't mean to not withstanding).

I'll respond to more next post, though I should post some new things I like:

Has anyone mentioned player customization yet? So glad they finally added it, even though they skipped out on it for ORAS because nostalgia. And not only is it for clothes but also for hair and eye color! Now they still have much to improve on, but from what we got its a nice start, especially if you played as a girl who has twice as many clothing options than the boy, not counting the dresses. :P

And similar to that, though ORAS took away player customization they did give us Super Secret Bases where they let us build our own Gym! And to share them its easy as scanning a QR code or going on the PSS and tapping on someone's icon! :D

Okay a few more details from various games, in no particular order:

Shorts guy is awesome. Then in one game (can't remember which), there's skirts girl and she is also awesome.

The Hyper Beam sound in X & Y is exactly as it was in Red & Blue. It's enough nostalgia to make me temporarily forget that it's actually a really shitty move, because, y'know, HYPER BEAM.

N's room. Holy shit that place still gives me creeps.

Magnemite being the cameraman in Pokken Tournament. Not only is it the perfect Pokemon for the role, but it's great that the developers could come up with something to satisfy the tons of Japanese people who wanted it (or at least claimed to want it) to be a playable character.

The Hyper Beam sound in X & Y is exactly as it was in Red & Blue. It's enough nostalgia to make me temporarily forget that it's actually a really shitty move, because, y'know, HYPER BEAM.
Exactly this. The Psychic sound in XY/ORAS is also exactly as it was in RBY and/or GSC. Loved to hear that back.

I like how the villains in the series have a proper concept, not just trying to rule the world, kidnap a princess or two etc etc. I really liked N's ideals, and they made perfect sense to me. BW was by far, the most epic, the most creative and the most revolutionary game in the series. Seriously, those moments that happened in BW, that 'Wavering Emotion' emotions music, send chills down my spine. It was spot on, and I even cried a little.

I love how some of the worst shinies (i.e., the ones that are just a slightly different shade) were "fixed" with their Mega Evolutions, especially Mega Gengar.
Speaking of shiny Megas, I love how Shiny Mega Rayquaza is literally a shiny black. It looks so good!!!!!!!!!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
More comments:

Meme-rific: It's always nice when GF decides to add something from the fandom into the game. The term "Eeveelution" and "Shiny" have become official terms (even though in-game its not considered the proper official term), hiding the Lava Cookie under the truck, and even recent things like Serebii's World Map and Twitch Plays Pokemon have been referenced. It actually makes it feel the fans are having an affect on the games and not just by having certain mechanics changed/fix, it feels like we're adding lore to the world.

Yeah, I'm sure that Mr. Stone giving you the Pidgeotite while he has a Omanyte picture hanging behind him is completely coincidental...

Pokeathlon Diglett Gags: Actually not only does the Diglett family go under the hurdles (I got to imagine the other Pokemon probably thing its cheating...) it can't even participate in one of the event because it can't jump: Lamp Jump. In order to play the game the Pokemon NEEDS to jump, and since Diglett can't jump all it can do is move around on the floor waiting to lose. Also Diglett has a hard time winning Disc Catch since it needs to wait for the disc to land on the ground while other Pokemon can jump for the disc.
Speaking of Pokeathlon, I love that Sunkern is one of three Pokemon that can possibly have all 5 stars in each skill stat. The other two is Arceus and Ditto, two obvious ones you can see having 5 stars in each skill stat. But Sunkern? It's out of nowhere and hilarious to think not only can it outperform all other normal Pokemon (besides Ditto) but also Legendaries and be as equal as to the Pokemon god. And all it is is just a seed with the worst BST in the whole game!

Following You: And not only did they give every Pokemon a sprite in HGSS, they also included their Shiny forms! And of course they added in little things when you interact with a Pokemon, like certain Pokemon will have certain unique things depending on where they are. The one that stands out in my mind is that Togepi will softly cry in the Cerulean Gym.

Time of Day & Year: It's neat to see when they have the game actually acknowledge what time of day/year it is. In DPP the music changed depending on the time of day, in BW you could access different places depending on the season (and in Lacunosa Town people go into their houses at night). I hope they bring seasons back, I guess I can understand why they removed them for XY considering the workload they had already but now that all the Pokemon are in 3D they hopefully would have time to work on other things like trainer models and season environment changes.

PokeStar Titles: A lot of the PokeStar Studio titles are great, here's the whole list:

Shuckle-Berry Finneon (Huckleberry Finn)
The Kricketune of Castelia Square (The Cricket In Time Square)
The Black Clamperl (The Black Pearl (1977 movie, not the ship in Pirates of the Caribbean))
Saint Geodude and the Dragonite (Saint George and the Dragon)
Make Way for Ducklett (Make Way for Ducklings)
The Boxcar Cinccino (The Boxcar Children)
The Trumpet of the Swanna (The Trumpet of the Swan)
The Legend of Sleepy Drowzee (The Legend of Sleepy H0llow)
Little Wurmple (Little Woman)
A Tale of Two Skitty (A Tale of Two Cities)
The Safari Zone Book (The Jungle Book)
The Tale of Betty Buneary (The Tale of Peter Rabbit)
One Basculin, Two Basculin, Red-Striped Basculin, Blue Striped Basculin (One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish)
The Empoleons New Clothes (The Emperor's New Clothes)
The Cobalion and the Sandshrew (The Cowboy and the Shrew)
The House at Foongus Corner (The House at Pooh Corner)
The Reluctant Dragonite (The Reluctant Dragon)
Three Little Tepig (Three Little Pigs)
Rip Van Dwebble (Rip Van Winkle)
Galavantula's Travels (Guliver's Travels)
Galavantula's Travels 2: Eelektrik Boogaloo (Guliver's Travels/Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo)
The Golett (The Golem)
The Pokey Little Lillipup (The Poky Little Puppy)
Enspoiklopedia Brown (Encyclopedia Brown)
Snivy in Ivyland (Alive in Wonderland)

Also, some of the name of the directors in Sydney Pokemet (Sydney Lumet), John Pokenter (John Carpenter), and David Pokench (David Lynch). ;) And more obvious is that the movies are based on a movie or combination of movies.

Though I do wonder what these movie titles were in Japan and other languages since they're pun on names which wouldn't translate well.

More On Gyms: I feel that BW did try to bring some "logic" to the Gyms. They weren't just buildings where the Gym Leader challenged trainers, they served an additional function (though they seemed to have abandoned that idea with the later gyms). Striaton Gym was a cafe, Nacrene Gym was a museum and library, Castelia Gym in BW2 feels like an art project of Burgh's, Nimbasa Gym in BW was an amusement park ride while in BW2 was a runway Elesa showed off her newest fashions, Driftveil Gym was an underground digging site, Aspertia was a trainer school, and Virbank was Roxie's rock stage. Doing this also allowed the Gyms to have their one unique overworld appearance instead of being the same building but with a different interior.
And I loved how in BW2 each gym got its own version of the Gym theme, and how appropriate the Normal-type gym kept the original Gym theme. And they even added some nice references like Roxie "singing" P-O-K-E-M-ON (though in Japan she was singing Koffing's Japanese named, D-O-G-A-R-S, which is why the "ON" in Pokemon was pushed together. Though I wonder if in the German version she sang S-M-O-G-O-N :P) and how in the new Nimbasa Gym they sample from of all places The World End's With You theme "Dancer in the Street" and the vocal is taken from a song called "WINGS" from Utada Hikaru (who some may know as the artist who sang the opening themes for the Kingdom Hearts franchise). Also the Gym trainer names are sometimes fun too, like one Roxie's band mates is named "Billy Jo" (oddly its the girl) and in Nimbasa Gym in BW2 the runway models you battle are named after famous scientists and engineers: Nikola, Fleming, and Ampere.
You can tell the translators were having fun which is good because that allows creativity to flow. ;)

Stopping here, though I'll once again add some new ones:

I respect how they didn't include Mega Flygon because they didn't feel they had the right design yet and didn't want to rush it. It shows they care about the quality of the Pokemon and at least in regards to the Pokemon they don't rush things or take shortcuts to just get a Pokemon out there.

I also like how they added back in the Sevii Island in FRLG. For those who didn't know, they were suppose to be in the original game but they ran out of time/didn't have enough room to add them. But in FRLG they did so instead of leaving them out for the sake of nostalgia they put them in as they were originally intended (and probably expanded upon).

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I like how the XY 4 koma manga has no Pikachu in it, but most Pokemon appear in it.
Chespin and Fennekin appear the most, guess they are the stars of this book.
Sorry, Pikachu fans, but I think they should once in a while make Pokemon books without Pikachu, because not every Pokemon fan likes Pikachu.

So many examples so little time...

For now, I love the little details like the atmospheric audio sounds you get in HGSS when your trainer is near the water and you hear the ripples. Just little sound effects give the game so much life and little details like leaves blowing in the wind in New Bark Town (where the town sign says 'Winds of a New Beginning'/'The Town Where Winds of a New Beginning Blow') made me appreciate the GS remake so much more to another level.

And speaking of, the GB Sounds was such a nice addition and they even included chiptune versions of new places such as the new Safari Zone and the route between the Safari Zone and Cianwood City island. It would've been a nice nod to keep everyone happy if they had this again in ORAS.

The Pokemon World Tournament is such a great fanservice feature in B2W2, I love how they brought back (almost) every gym leader (why did you have to be an E4 Koga?) complete with remixes of the themes from their respective games that try and mimic the original sounds. The RBY themes in particular have a sound that sounds a bit like the GB versions. And even if we finally got ORAS in Gen 6, I love how they took the time to even make animated sprites for the Gen 3 Leaders/Champions in the PWT, even if they weren't getting used again. I also love little things in the dialogue for the Gym Leaders/Champions after you defeat them that really show their personalities or even connections to other regions- like Lt. Surge being possibly from Unova for example. The fact you can battle the retired triplets and Lenora is also awesome and slightly makes up for the no rematches in BW.

And yes, gym-specific themes were a genius thing in B2W2. Really made the gym experience much more special, I absolutely adore Burgh's theme even if I wasn't a big fan of Burgh's gym in BW, the theme made me appreciate a different side to his artistic senses. The gym went from comically hilarious in BW to something spookier, mysterious and more avant-garde in B2W2.

The TV shows are a pretty overlooked thing- I really enjoy the TV shows that show little snippets of the daily life of Gym Leaders in particular that you never hear anywhere else. Things like how Olympia does fortune telling, Viola's story about the barette being a gift from Valerie or how apparently Marlon learned how to jump by practicing with Mantine near his childhood home.

Oh and the underwater tunnel in B2W2 and the Diving areas in ORAS were glorious. Seeing those small Pokemon models like Corsola/Chinchou underwater or even a giant Wailord in the tunnel adds to the experience. The fact that you can even get a medal for Wailord spotting is so cool- in fact, the whole medal sidequests in general add a lot more things to do in Gen 5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)