Playoffs Smogon Classic - Playoffs - FINALS [Won by Ojama]

Status
Not open for further replies.
thoroughly outplayed by mcmeghan, ggs! go get that super deserved trophy champ
Breh i sense that sarcasm a mile away. Imo gather the investigation squad again and book a flight to belgium and solve another conspiracy. Reyscarface in pursuit then sending keldeo kid to finish the job.. Thats classic pokemon right there

bab elodin please the other 2 already have a trophy

between ojama and mcmeghan who is the king of the johns? will we see a game before september? that's an exciting series too

e: relevant

11:46 Ojama: also i plan on johning anyway because mcm is the host
11:46 stathakis: protesting
11:46 Ojama: and im gonna show him
11:46 Ojama: who is the king of johns

1. babidi1998 vs 12. papai noel (bab takes DPP, ADV and GSC, papai noel takes BW, no idea who takes RBY)
3. Ojama vs 8. McMeghan (Ojama takes BW and DPP, McM takes ADV, GSC and RBY)

Cicada

soul reaver
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
1. babidi1998 vs 12. papai noel - Dynamic Punch Jirachi just wins.
3. Ojama vs 8. McMeghan - McM doesnt seem as good at johning at before, and Ojama seems motivated to show him who's the best at that. Predicting him to win the john war, aka the match that truely matters.

teal6

is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I want bab to win because he's been trying since 2005 or something. Poor guy. It's time to get an individual trophy, even though it's not as prestigious as some of the other single trophies.
Serious question but why wouldn't this be as prestigious as other individual trophies? Each of the major individual ones is exceptionally different from the others, and Classic seems to follow this rule. I can imagine it's hard to build for 3 metagames in Smog Tour, nevermind 5 different ones, several of which you may not have even played at the time, and compete against folks who have been consistently good in them for years now.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
panamaxis and teal6: Virtually everyone plays the OU tiers in OST and Smogtours competitively, so the competition is much, much fiercer. Also battling "unknown" up-and-coming players proves to be quite challenging, as you have no idea what to expect from them. As for the Smogon Classics, we all know one of the veteran players will emerge victorious, as proven by the people who made the playoffs. There is only a handful of good players for these kind of tournaments, so the competition is naturally and severely lacking. Does that make sense?

Last edited:

elodin

the burger
is a Tiering Contributoris a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
i don't see how the competition is lacking when you have more experienced players fighting for the trophy. it's as prestigious as any other individual tournament, especially when you take into account the fact that we're preparing for the best players in 5 different tiers. i also don't understand how "one of the veterans player will emerge victorious, as proven by the players who made the playoffs" when pdc, zorodark, prankster and i certainly aren't veterans, not to mention new breed, who'd be 1st seed hadn't he dropped out of the tournament before playoffs. and i don't know what you consider a handful of good players, just take a look at the spreadsheet and you'll see how many great players didn't make it. smurf, malfoy, bkc, badabing, soulwind, tsunami, tesung, lavos, vinc, marshall, stath, peachy... all of them could be here instead of us and the competition would be as fierce as it is right now.

i definitely agree with you when you say some tournaments are more prestigious than others, i just don't think this one is the case, even though it has a smaller playerbase than the likes of ost and tour.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
I seriously lost you when you put "great players" and a Garbador like smurf in the same sentence. The other players are pretty good though.

This is just a handicapped tournament with a handicapped trophy like the Grand Slam for those who can't win the OST and Smogtours. Smogon Frontier was the worst of all. Glad it got tossed.

Anyways, I do not want to make another tournament revolve around me. Go moleman.

IMO the more games you have to play to win the trophy, the more "prestigious" the trophy is. this is because any unknown can have a short hot-streak and win 5-10 games via playing at their best against opponents below their bests, favorable team matchups, and luck. the more games you have to win, the more likely it is that the best overall player wins the tour. I think we can agree on that.

if we follow that scheme, we get this order of prestige roughly, from least to most prestigious:

WCOP
SPL
OST
OLT (calling it more than OST even though the bracket is 2 rounds fewer because you have to reach top 8 to reach the bracket)
smogon frontier (multi-gen)
slam/classic
smogon tour

granted, that's not the only thing you can take into account because there are more opportunities to lose in some of these tournaments than in others. additionally, some of these tours require you to face more "good" players than others. like, you only have to play max 9 times in WCOP but it's likely every single one of your opponents will be good (same in SPL , whereas the majority of your wins in OST and ST and to an extent OLT will be against lesser players).

I do not think that having a smaller playerbase in the playoffs or fewer "unknown" players makes a tournament less prestigious--quite the opposite IMO. the rigorous weed-out process that kicks out the unknown players and makes the playerbase smaller means that every single opponent you fight has beaten a large number of people to get there, ensuring that all the competition is really strong. it's really hard to get "lucky" with bracket pairings in the playoffs of tour/slam/classic, somewhat hard to get lucky in OLT, and extremely easy in all but the very latest rounds of OST.

with all that in mind, I think that there are 3 tiers of prestige in official trophies:

Tier 3 (you can win this without being very good at all, and there are many "surprise" winners as a result)
WCOP
SPL
OST

Tier 2 (you can win this without being the best but you have to be competent and consistent)
OLT
Slam
Classic

Tier 1 (you have to be pretty fucking good to win this)
Smogon Tour
Frontier (single gen)

Tier 0 (tournament is unwinnable)
Frontier (multi gen)

in reality, we are talking about the relative value of pixels on a website but hey people have cheated and manipulated each other and ended friendships for these pixels so I guess it's worth thinking about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)