The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I got turned off from Kill la Kill when it started to take itself semi-seriously with the intro of Satsuki's mother : ( something about the show seeming like satire just made me want to watch it and then it switched gears halfway through

Did you guys see the new Dragon Ball Z special?

I watched it and loved it. There were some really funny moments, but I can't remember the quotes :/.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I can never really appreciate Comedy Anime because the humour is usually too japan-centric and/or plain weird to my sensibilities. Not that I don't enjoy general comic qualities in shonuen and seinin stuff. Most notable being perhaps Luffy in One Piece among countless others. Gintama is perhaps an exception in generally enjoyed purely on it's comic virtue. Even then it is a hit-and-miss at times.

Also, while you guys are slowly settling in the new season picking your new favs and shit, has anyone seen Hyouka? It'll take me a few more episodes to say this with conviction but it's easily one of the smartest mystery story I've seen in anime. The synopsis (standard HS shonuen), The setting (some boring school club), plot (a club mystery spanning generations) don't really sound inspiring but it is so damn good!

Personal Opinions on what I'm watching now:

Gakkou Gurashi: Moe girls vs Zombies. Surprisingly better but its currently doing flashback scenes though its getting interesting. Fear the ending to this will be rushed.

Himouto! Umaru-chan: My favorite non-sequel show of the season. Its so adorable yet so funny at the same time, the cast is really over-the-top and I love it.

Snow White with the Red Hair: Its really good but slow as fuck. Plays a lot like a Disney film in a lot of ways with its calm nature and romance aspects, as to be expected from the title.

Wakaba Girl: Cute little show, nothing special though. (Should definitely watch Kirino Mosaic though)

Monster Musume: Was my guilty pleasure of the season for the first few episodes but then Suu came along. Lots of molesting now and its making me sick. Still watching though due to the fact that the other characters are pretty fun in their own right. (Before you ask my favorite is Papi)

GATE: Put on hold cause it got boring fast. Only picking it back up if I hear it starts getting good again.

Okusama no Seitoukaichou: Disgusting garbage. Thankfully its short.

And my favorite of the season:

Non Non Biyori Repeat: Loved the first season, and despite the title this show contains mostly brand new stories and they're just as good as before. More emphasis on Renge is a plus as well.

Anyone know if there's other shows this season worth watching? I'm considering on checking out Overlord, Shimoneta, Gangsta, Sore ga Seiyuu, and Aoharu x Kikanjuu. (Also Robot Girls Z Plus has me pumped cause I actually liked the first season despite rather mediocre reception on sites like MAL and ANN) Spring leftovers excluding RGZP I'll consider watching AFTER they finish.

Edit: Also Rokka no Yuusha sounds interesting. Despite being the same studio as Fail Wars I heard its actually pretty good. HEARD anyway.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Gangsta's cool so far; the two MC are interesting and there's always something happening. I would recommend if you like action and don't mind some adult topics (prostitution, drugs, etc.)

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
It's also worth adding that besides being interesting as a whole, Gangsta.'s art and soundtrack are smooth as fuck, really pleasant anime IMO (the fighting scenes get me hooked every time), it mightn't be everyone's cup (I picked it up solely due to early praise, but ended up loving the hell out of it), but I'd still recommend it to anyone who's yet to pick it up for whatever reason.

Overlord is pretty fine too, and it seems like it's gonna get pretty intense (even more) from now on, definitely looking forward to it.

Gate's yet to capture my full attention, but I must admit it's one of the smoothest attempt at forming an Harem I've seen so far, so it deserves some praise in that regard. It's also worth noting that I'll get 20+ episodes, so there's still a fuckton of time for it to develop.

However, Prison School is my favourite so far, even though the heavy censoring is kind of a turn off for some people (especially for the Manga readers from what I've seen). The sheer intensity of the first episode, in spite of its unreal-as-hell setting, got me hooked from the get go. It's been an amazing since then (the moments /w Chiyo are some of the most heart-warming of the season, and the humour in the show is amazing). Definitely worth picking up unless you're a devoted Christian or simply feel really bad for watching heavy amounts of Ecchi.

- Charlotte is okay, apparently it's supposed to be a "better Angel Beats". Pretty slow right now, but the creator intended for the first 6 episodes to be a bit boring.
As the biggest fanboy of Rewrite you'll ever meet on Smogon, although I'm still not confident in calling it the best piece of literature ever made until I'm able to read it raw, that show leaves me salty as fuck 'cause they're not even trying adapting Rewrite and created this instead, and the only reason I'm watching it is because Nao is a cutie. Seriously though:
Even though I usually like Jun Maeda's stories, I feel that I'm going to have a really hard time eating this one up, probably due to a combination of how salty I am and the fact I'm more familiar with Anime in general than when I binge read/watched his stuff, but for crying out loud: evil scientists got a bunch of kids to become "fake friends" just so Nao would be unable to see said scientists wrecking her brother? Talk about stupid backstories. Also, I think that anyone minimally familiar with his stuff (which is like at least 70% of the people watching it) will be able to figure out the route this one's going to take: Imouto gets "Key Aids", whoever built the school has ulterior motives besides sheltering people, causing everything to crumble down on the main characters, we get some emotional moments and the forced good ending afterwards. Unless he really brings his A-game, it's all going to come down to whether people manage to get attached to the characters, which is pretty hard when one of the characters is a total Angel Beats ripoff, main character loses all of his substance after getting 12 minutes in the spotlight during the first episode, every episode is the same thing. every. single. time. and the only likeable character's backstory comes off as silly (already covered that. Unfortunate because it would've been kinda solid without the "fake friends" part). It's just too damn predictable and cheap.

With that said, I think it's a shame Jun Maeda refuses to follow the same route he did in his best stories: the simpler it is the better (edit: I'm not trying to say he should just rewrite the same thing over and over, because he kinda does that already to be honest. I just meant that the kind of story he's trying to write in Charlotte isn't really his forte). Little Busters! is a pretty warm and comfy story which always manages to get a tear or two out of me. What is it about: a group of friends who decide to form a baseball team for the heck of it (It's actually not that simple, but I'll leave that aside for spoiler's sake. The point is that it's simpler than this superpower and evil scientist stuff and is a pretty nice story). Same for Clannad and pretty much every single one of his other stories. Angel Beats! suffered from a lack of time to expose its universe to the watcher (not surprising actually, it was too ambitious for the amount of resources it had. It had an insane cast of characters for a 13 episode Anime, which didn't allow for enough development, but even then most characters didn't feel as hollow as Charlotte's), but it still ended up being a pretty fun story aside from that one last asspull (which I ended up liking anyways due to how attached I got to Kanade), even though its humour kind of carried it for the most part, and I doubt Charlotte is able to top that the way it is right now.
Sorry for the long rant, feel free to skip it n_n (you should skip it btw)

Last edited:

RODAN

Banned deucer.
this season for me is split up into 3 tiers of sorts; great, really good, good. im honestly enjoying everything im watching, favourites being overlord, rokka no yuusha and ushio to tora in that order

Favorite anime of the season for me are Prison School and Ushio & Tora.

Gakkou Gurashi is awesome for what it is but unless it has a more interesting hook soon it'll just keep on stalling in interest.

However, Prison School is my favourite so far, even though the heavy censoring is kind of a turn off for some people (especially for the Manga readers from what I've seen). The sheer intensity of the first episode, in spite of its unreal-as-hell setting, got me hooked from the get go. It's been an amazing since then (the moments /w Chiyo are some of the most heart-warming of the season, and the humour in the show is amazing). Definitely worth picking up unless you're a devoted Christian or simply feel really bad for watching heavy amounts of Ecchi.
I can't for the life of me understand the kids complaining about the censorship. It's such a non-factor it's unreal.

EDIT:
where's the gakkou gurashi love, people
Japan has you covered.

Last edited:
I don't like Gakkou Gurashi

the first episode was so boring and generic that I'm 100% sure I would've dropped it if I didn't know that an (admittedly well-done) twist was coming, and then e2 was just kinda eh

Charlotte is pretty standard KEY, it's done the usual "introduce simple but fun characters and build things up enjoyably" part and it's slowly moving towards the drama where it'll probably crash and burn.

I just caught up with gakkou gurashi and man, something about this show just freaks me out. I think it is just the fact that it's moe mixed with zombie seems fundementally wrong, which I think is intentional.

apparently charlotte got really good with episodes 6/7, is anyone watching that? i've been meaning to pick it up but idk if it deserves the hype it's getting

Shit got real in episode 6 and 7, in episode 7 you saw the MC about to do crack. Unfortunately, the next episode preview looks happy again so idk.

So far it's better than Angel Beats but idk if it's super good. It's not shit though.
thanks. haven't watched angel beats but i think i'll hold off on charlotte until the end of the season

on a side note i'm participating in the tatami galaxy rewatch on reddit as a first time viewer and i really like this show

RODAN

Banned deucer.
tatami galaxy is the best anime ever made, and will probably never be topped. this leads to perpetual disappointment

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just finished watching tatami galaxy and shinsekai yori! now the next challenge is to find something else I'll like just as much before school starts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)