Pikachu Cup [Online Competition]

I used Choice Scarf Surf Lanturn partnered with a Dry Skin Heliolisk and the combo did well.

I run Baby-Doll Eyes and Snarl on my Luxray, but cut the power of the opposing team.

I have been looking for an EV spread for my Luxray. I bred an Adamant Nature, that 252 HP, 52 DEF, and 164 SP.DEF would still work, but 12 stat points lower in SP.DEF means I better be getting Snarl off sooner. Adamant nature gives me a a 14 stat point increase in ATK, gives a little more pop for Quick Attack to maybe finish off a weakened opponent.

I know Snarl is weakened with Adamant nature, but Snarl is not KOing anyone.

I have also seen Swagger used on Electivire holding a Persim Berry, that seems like a slow setup to me though.

Here's my doubt: I wanted to build a tailwind team with emolga and the must-have pokemons like electivire and eelektross. Then there is the combo heliolisk(life orb) + lanturn and... I wanted use agility mega ampha, but rotom frost is a good choice too. But i don't know if i wanna play without a mega. Maybe I should say bye to emolga.. With scarf rotom f and agility m ampha, I don't need tailwind. But also if i run choice scarf lanturn i will not use rotom f and i can use ampha. But i don't know if i want to not use hail lanturn + scarf rotom.

This tour will make me crazy.

Code:
Ampharos @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Plus
EVs: 232 HP / 184 Atk / 24 Def / 68 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Power-Up Punch
- Magnetic Flux
The star of the team. I won lots of 1 vs 3-4 with this, especially when my team sucked more than the one I have now. Shuca Berry is needed when I face electivire without a magnetic flux on.
I really liked this, so I took it out for a spin, but I used different team-mates, as follows:
Code:
Minun @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Minus
EVs: 228 HP / 236 Def / 4 SpA / 36 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Agility
- Baton Pass
- Echoed Voice
- Nasty Plot
Minun's role is to be an agile nasty passer, but Echoed Voice is there to prevent it being complete Taunt bait, or if the opponent isn't taking it seriously. Of course while Minun's boosting, Ampharos is also boosting it, so it can often baton pass +2s all round.
Code:
Rotom @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 244+ Spe
Timid Nature
- Foul Play
- Pain Split
- Psych Up
- Will-O-Wisp
I know you used Rotom-Mow, but I use default Rotom to be annoying to both Heliolisk and physical attackers (he can safely burn them because he's immune to Facade). He's vulnerable to Knock Off though, so maybe he needs a Colbur berry?
Code:
Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Minus
EVs: 4 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flame Burst
- Magnet Rise
- Protect
- Snarl
Manectric is offensive, but with Ampharos's Magnetic Fluxes, he can still take a few hits. Snarl is his main attack, but Flame Burst is handy to get that last bit of chip damage on the other opponent. Can someone confirm that I'm actually better off not Mega-evolving him unless Ampharos faints, as I get the SpA boost from Plus and Minus? (I think I've made that mistake, but I got away with it.)

Although the Shuca berry helped Ampharos to survive a Helping Hand STAB Earth Power from a Stunfisk, which is nice, I find Ampharos can't really stomach Electivire's Earthquake, so I really need some suitable team members to use when I think my opponent is going to use Electivire. I probably want to use Eelektross but I can't decide whether he should be physical or special. (Perhaps I could use Power-Up Punch/Drain Punch/Acid Spray/Giga Drain for a mixed Assault Vest set?)

What nature do you think is better for a Solar Power Heliolisk - Timid or Modest?
And what if I decided to use Dry Skin?

Thanks for help

Last edited:

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
What nature do you think is better for a Solar Power Heliolisk - Timid or Modest?
And what if I decided to use Dry Skin?

Thanks for help
Go with a Timid nature unless you have a Choice Scarf on it.

As for Dry Skin, Fire type moves are more common than Water type moves and the possibility of hitting a Dry Skin Heliolisk with Water makes it so he won't be hit by Water type moves even if he doesn't have Dry Skin. Using Dry Skin isn't worth it, but its existence as an possible alternative ability gives a Heliolisk sudo-immunity to Water.

Hi my friend awiec is hosting a giveaway for this competition in the Wi-Fi giveaway sub forum if anyone is interested. We have limited electric pokemon and we already ran out of adamant electivire but we still have HA heliolisk, Jolly electabuzz, eelektross and more. Please read the rules carefully before posting or you won't be able to get a free pokemon.

The link: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/help-me-solve-my-hoarding-problem-pikachu-cup-giveaway.3540376/

Edit: There's also some people giving free pokemon in their trade threads so you can also check that out. Please note that not everyone is giving them for free but have pokemon bred specifically for this competition so you can also negotiate a trade.

Last edited:

CTNC

Has anyone else tried a Maranga Berry on Coil Eelektross? Since it has Drain Punch for recovery it seems like a good choice for an item. For those of you that don't remember what it does, (AKA Almost Everyone) what it does it raises Special Defense after being hit by a Special Attack.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Has anyone else tried a Maranga Berry on Coil Eelektross? Since it has Drain Punch for recovery it seems like a good choice for an item. For those of you that don't remember what it does, (AKA Almost Everyone) what it does it raises Special Defense after being hit by a Special Attack.
I think most people just go straight for the Assault Vest and skip Coil for Power-Up Punch. You don't really benefit too much from the increased physical defence of Coil since he's immune to EQ anyway, and all his attacks are 100% accurate, so PuP is a fine alternative!

Does Rotom-Mow with Iron Ball and Trick have any use? I am having troubles filling out the rest of my Rotom-Mow, and I'm not terribly interested in Breeding for a specific Hidden Power.

This is my Rotom-Mow right now:
Calm
248 HP, 8 SpA, 252 SpD
-Trick
-Will-O-Wisp
-Leaf Storm
-Dark Pulse.

CTNC

Does Rotom-Mow with Iron Ball and Trick have any use? I am having troubles filling out the rest of my Rotom-Mow, and I'm not terribly interested in Breeding for a specific Hidden Power.

Calm
248 HP, 8 SpA, 252 SpD
-Trick
-Will-O-Wisp
-Leaf Storm
-Dark Pulse.
With an Iron Ball, you WILL get hit with Earthquake before you trick the ball onto a Levitater which makes it arguably worse than no item. Just stick with a Choice Item if you want to use Trick.
For a potently better option for a move slot, Protect is always a good move in Doubles. I'm even using it on my Pokemon that hold Choice Items! (The reasoning is that I wasn't using those moves and I'd be able to use Protect after being hit with Knock Off.)

With an Iron Ball, you WILL get hit with Earthquake before you trick the ball onto a Levitater which makes it arguably worse than no item. Just stick with a Choice Item if you want to use Trick.
For a potently better option for a move slot, Protect is always a good move in Doubles. I'm even using it on my Pokemon that hold Choice Items! (The reasoning is that I wasn't using those moves and I'd be able to use Protect after being hit with Knock Off.)
I'm newish. Does the opponent know I have the Iron Ball? If they saw a Rotom, and didn't know it was carrying the Iron Ball, I'd assume they wouldn't Earthquake.

CTNC

I'm newish. Does the opponent know I have the Iron Ball? If they saw a Rotom, and didn't know it was carrying the Iron Ball, I'd assume they wouldn't Earthquake.
I don't think they know, but if my ScarfVire was locked into Earthquake, I'd probably still use Earthquake instead of switch out even if my opponent has one Pokemon that appeared to be immune to Earthquake.

You're opponent won't initially know rotom has an iron ball, but if you're ally is vulnerable to earthquake, your opponent might still use it anyway especially if it is choice locked, and remember that iron ball also halves rotom's speed, so it won't be able to get rid of the iron ball until the end of the turn. I've found snatch on rotom to be a useful move (thank you protosoul) for dealing with emolga and opposing screens.

I don't think they know, but if my ScarfVire was locked into Earthquake, I'd probably still use Earthquake instead of switch out even if my opponent has one Pokemon that appeared to be immune to Earthquake.
You're opponent won't initially know rotom has an iron ball, but if you're ally is vulnerable to earthquake, your opponent might still use it anyway especially if it is choice locked, and remember that iron ball also halves rotom's speed, so it won't be able to get rid of the iron ball until the end of the turn. I've found snatch on rotom to be a useful move (thank you protosoul) for dealing with emolga and opposing screens.
Right. If I were going to put out Rotom with Iron ball it'd be beside another levitate pokemon.

CTNC

Noob question: How do you lock your Battle Box?

Edit: It's good to know that I have more than 2 hours to do frenzied last minute breeding.

Last edited:
You have to go to battle spot and attempt to battle in the competition and you will be forced to lock your battle box before you can continue, but your box can be locked at any time, even after registration ends, but once you lock it, there is no way to unlock it without withdrawing from the competition.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Edit: It's good to know that I have more than 2 hours to do frenzied last minute breeding.
Yeah thank god for this. I've had a bad cold so I still gotta breed a few more mons for my team lol. So I'll probably start playing Friday or Saturday.

It'll be interesting to see how much the metagame in the tournament lines up with the Pokemon Showdown metagame!

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor

Calm
248 HP, 8 SpA, 252 SpD
-Trick
-Will-O-Wisp
-Leaf Storm
-Dark Pulse.
An ev spread of 252 HP, 4 SpA, and 252 SpD is better because it doesn't waste any evs at at level 50. This gives you an extra point in HP with the same SpA. Protect would probably be a better option with Sitrus because this is doubles.

GL everyone who competes! This'll be my first competition I've entered in months; Smash 4 has been occupying most of my free time.

Also I forgot to apply pp max to my rotom's overheat, rip. Great start, self.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)