Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
The body bobbling left and right reminds me of jello (Specially the head). It needs to look more consistent/solid.
For the rare animation, how about a quick hop, instead of a slow ascend and descend?
Other than that, it's getting there

I'm so glad to see some more activity on this thread! We've seen the effect of people being busy with this thread and how long we go without a single post. That's perfectly fine! I mean I too have been busy. And I think it's time I finally contribute something big (it's been a while for me) and here it is!

Little Sunny's ready to go! I did the shiny for pretty obvious reasons: Easier to work backwards and recolor the red to yellow rather than some yellow to red.
I'd appreciate any feedback! The Special is not in yet so keep that in mind. Also, the ears may get a little more floppy in later versions if you all see it necessary.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Damn, shiny Heliopotile looks sunburned.

Since the project is starting to get more active I shall work on the Cosplay Pikas again. They must all have different sprites or all similar, no exceptions >:( expect me to get some done by the end of winter.

I'm so glad to see some more activity on this thread! We've seen the effect of people being busy with this thread and how long we go without a single post. That's perfectly fine! I mean I too have been busy. And I think it's time I finally contribute something big (it's been a while for me) and here it is!

Little Sunny's ready to go! I did the shiny for pretty obvious reasons: Easier to work backwards and recolor the red to yellow rather than some yellow to red.
I'd appreciate any feedback! The Special is not in yet so keep that in mind. Also, the ears may get a little more floppy in later versions if you all see it necessary.

I have fixed some bug, from the ear, tail and body.

ORIGINAL -------- FIXED
--

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Considering I have Talonflame in wing flapping glory I'll say I have never been too fussy on animations looking better.

Anyways I'll be putting in an update today since it's been so long, although I know a certain someone *coughgfcough* has sprites that should be ready by now ; )

I'm not sure if some of you animators are ready to put this stuff up, I'll just wait for backs or you to say "this part is done".

Glad to see some stuff showing up here, if anything I would like to finish up some megas, although I too have been kept busy with my own things as of late.

Last edited:
I have fixed some bug, from the ear, tail and body.

ORIGINAL -------- FIXED
--
I see what Clay means in that the outlines aren't always kept clean. You seem to have cleaned a little with your fixes but I honestly like it better than mine. I especially like the ear fix. I'll do some work on the rare animation and send it on in here.

I asked Falgaia/aXl if I could try to do a Greninja with a custom pose and this was the result :x
I still have all the sprite parts of it but I'm sure someone can fix it up x3x

Edit: Oh and I'mma tweak the sprite a lot but I posted it here for feedback and stuff :x

I asked Falgaia/aXl if I could try to do a Greninja with a custom pose and this was the result :x
I still have all the sprite parts of it but I'm sure someone can fix it up x3x

Edit: Oh and I'mma tweak the sprite a lot but I posted it here for feedback and stuff :x
You have a pretty decent base going for you, but there's still a lot of work needing done with this sprite. The most apparent flaw is the huge size of the tongue - while the part that wraps around Geninja's neck is fine, the part sticking out is dramatically over sized comparatively. Additionally, there seems to be many sizing issues throughout the sprite.
-Greninja's left (our right) leg looks as if it's a stub. I realize that this is just the angle the sprite is trying to take, but it needs to be executed better for us to be able to see the leg/foot clearly.
-Greninja's head seems to be somewhat lopsided to me - mainly due to the very top portion of his head. There needs to be a much smoother transition from the top of the head to the sides.
-Greninja's left (our right) arm seems to have some sort of an identity crisis. The shading leads us to believe that Greninja is holding his arm behind him, though the size doesn't transition that way.

Apart from sizing issues, there are some things I feel I need to nitpick at:
-Greninja is missing the white mark above his eye.
-The center fin on Greninja's head just seems to be slapped on, and doesn't really transition too well in my opinion.
-The shading, while not completely pillow shaded, does have a lot of pillow shaded segments: the stomach, tongue, and white joint "bubbles" all seem to have a repetitive shading technique that doesn't follow a normal lighting.
-The fin/tail on Greninja's underside looks a little...suggestive to me. This only became apparent after staring at the sprite for a while, but is definitely something that needs touched up.

Ultimately, it's a decent sprite that has a lot that can be improved on. But in my personal opinion, I feel as if Greninja lower on the list of priorities for this project, seeing as we have multiple sprites to work with him as is. Though I'd definitely encourage you to try to fix up the sprite just to hone your skills more. There is potential to be seen. :)

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Agreeing with cynical Greninja is just one of those weird pokemon to hard work in a small space. Let's not start another 50 post page with 5 greninjas lol
Selection, the sprites need to be more smooth in the animation, it's really choppy and the rare animations come too soon.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey I'm not sure all of sprites were ready to be animated, some of them are not shiny swaps (scatterbug).

If they are ready and highlighted orange then by all means.

OLD

NEW

So I tried to tweak Honedge a bit. Even though we don't really see a shine in the 3D model, I feel as though some shine on the blade will make the sprite look better. Also, I fixed the back of the sheath. Yet again let me know what you guys think and what should be tweaked further.

I started the noibat sprite, but I have never animate wings, and I would like to know how it looks.

I know that this is not the Xarneas from this post, but personally, I prefer this one:

EDIT:

Last edited:

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
i feel like you can add a rare animation where Mega Gengar stops hovering and opens its mouth like it's roaring.

there's a black square that keeps blinking in the top left corner that needs removed from the gif

about the levitating thing, mega gengar doesnt seem like the Pokemon to levitate, as seen in its x/y sprite. i feel like it just standing (sitting?) there and bobbing its head up and down with a rare animation (mentioned above) would be fine. A sort of similar example is reshiram

notice how its body bobs up and down and theres an occasional red glow in its body

i mea that same thing but with mega gengar opening its mouth.

hope i helped!

hi

Layell has been urging me to make an update, so here it is. Unfortunately, it's been about six months since my last post here, and it's because most of my free time was spent on writing and editing articles rather than spriting while I was modding The Smog.

Lots of shiny swaps and minor QC below. Most are rather old (from before the start of summer) with the exception of Klefki, which I was working on this week.

View attachment 48391
View attachment 48392
View attachment 48393
View attachment 48394
View attachment 48395
View attachment 48396
View attachment 48397
View attachment 48398
View attachment 48401

Feedback is welcome.

Snivy101 (Chris White) Don't forget that Honedge requires two sets of yellows for the shiny version to work.

seleccion Avoid animating things that haven't been approved yet or don't belong to the project (such as this last page's Clauncher).

EDIT: Fixed an error on Klefki and adding Vivillon to the line-up.

View attachment 48400

Integer Mova I'm sure no one would mind.

Last edited:
princessofmusic The minor QC makes everything better, especially on Chespin and Quilladin.

Question to anyone working on the project: Would it okay if I'd collected the standard-colored front sprites and organize them on to a sheet for personal use, as long as I keep it on my own computer only? Unless you guys want to see how I organized it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)