Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Just want to ask if there is a mega houndoom set that is designed to work under the sun?

I've been using the standard nasty plot taunt set but that set has problems setting up on common walls due to the minimum of 2 turns need to taunt and set up at least one nasty plot which results in 24% of residual damage from solar power.

Should I just ditch nasty plot since fire blast under the sun with solar power does the same as more than a sunless nasty plot boosted fire blast?

Last edited:

p2

Banned deucer.
Just want to ask if there is a mega houndoom set that is designed to work under the sun?

I've been using the standard nasty plot taunt set but that set has problems setting up on common walls due to the minimum of 2 turns need to taunt and set up at least one nasty plot which results in 24% of residual damage from solar power.
There is a SunnyBeam set but I really don't know if its any good, but it screws over a bunch of common switch ins such as TTar and Keldeo

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Sunny Day + Solar Beam is mediocre, just go for Nasty Plot with either Wisp or Taunt. When you use it on a sun based you shouldn't be worrying too much about set up problems because even unboosted it hits around 1.3x as hard as zard y in the sun, HP Ground might be an option then because it ohkos heatran

serperioriscool You use sunny day the turn he switches in his TTar and because the turn order of switching in is earlier than using a move, there will be sun instead of sand

Sunny Day + Solar Beam is mediocre, just go for Nasty Plot with either Wisp or Taunt. When you use it on a sun based you shouldn't be worrying too much about set up problems because even unboosted it hits around 1.3x as hard as zard y in the sun, HP Ground might be an option then because it ohkos heatran

serperioriscool You use sunny day the turn he switches in his TTar and because the turn order of switching in is earlier than using a move, there will be sun instead of sand
It still doesn't OHKO SupportTTar:
252 SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Solar Beam vs. 248 HP / 180+ SpD Tyranitar in Sun: 316-374 (78.4 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Plus if it's mega then you lose your sun and your mega
Lastly, it requires quite a bit of prediction to work out as planned
I mean, it's usable, but it's a bit too unreliable imo

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Should I just ditch nasty plot since fire blast under the sun with solar power does the same as a sunless nasty plot boost fire blast?
the set is STABS solarbeam sludge bomb/sunnyday iirc
It still doesn't OHKO SupportTTar:
252 SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Solar Beam vs. 248 HP / 180+ SpD Tyranitar in Sun: 316-374 (78.4 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Plus if it's mega then you lose your sun and your mega
Lastly, it requires quite a bit of prediction to work out as planned
I mean, it's usable, but it's a bit too unreliable imo
if ttar is the only mon that counters a set, I say it is pretty reliable as sunnybeam allows doom to screw water types not weak to pulse bar regular gyara, and gyara gets 2hkod under sun by beam or dark pulse while using weakened waterfalls. (beam is better if your opp hasnt revealed their mega)

I feel like I should specify my question from earlier. You see I'm playing around with a sun team (old RMT here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/bringing-sunny-offense-back.3546993/#post-6378139) with mostly special attackers and Mega Houndoom is tasked with wall breaking. However Chansey/Blissey can be a huge problem as talonflame is my only physical attacker, so I'm thinking of add knock off in place of nasty plot on my Mega Houndoom so I can knock off Chanset's eviolite thus allowing for a 2HKO with solar power fire blast

I feel like I should specify my question from earlier. You see I'm playing around with a sun team (old RMT here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/bringing-sunny-offense-back.3546993/#post-6378139) with mostly special attackers and Mega Houndoom is tasked with wall breaking. However Chansey/Blissey can be a huge problem as talonflame is my only physical attacker, so I'm thinking of add knock off in place of nasty plot on my Mega Houndoom so I can knock off Chanset's eviolite thus allowing for a 2HKO with solar power fire blast
Houndoom can't learn Knock Off

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
so anyone know of a good way to break chansey/blissey for a sun team?
Bait it out with the threat of a strong Special attack (super easy to do) and double into Pursuit Trapper. They'll be forced out for fear of Knock Off and eat a Pursuit.

Bait it out with the threat of a strong Special attack (super easy to do) and double into Pursuit Trapper. They'll be forced out for fear of Knock Off and eat a Pursuit.
Which purusit trappers work well on a sun team? especially when T-Tar is one of the best dark and sun checks in the game?

You have a Lilligant and no Talonflame answer what the fuck.

I think you have bigger issues than just being walled by Chansey.
IMHO Lilligant fits on sun teams better than Venusaur and I have since replaced the raiko (the supposed talonflame check) with rotom -wash for a better talonflame check

Thanks to HO
is stall even viable anymore and worth using??

also besides trick room what kind of options are available to offer hoopa-u speed control support??

Thanks to HO
is stall even viable anymore and worth using??

also besides trick room what kind of options are available to offer hoopa-u speed control support??
Even though Stall is still viable, it is probably a much worse choice than Balance or Offense. Besides Trick Room, there is Sticky Web and paralysis support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)