Applying to college

Is there anyone who goes to UMass Amherst? I hear it has a good comp sci/AI program and I'm going in for an integrated BS/MS rn. Hopefully that scholarship money'll be put ot good use =0, I still don't understand how only 1 out of 20 colleges can accept me with a 2290 SAT but,that's college apps for you I guess.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Um does anyone go to Williams / know someone who does? I find it fantastic, is there anyone who knows sonething helpful in terms of getting in?
It's small and also considered very elite and they therefore get to be pretty picky about who they want. If I remember talking to an admissions person way back when correctly (I was interested for a little bit before realizing just how in the middle of nowhere it is), they care a ton about having motivated, engaged students, much more so than test scores or GPAs - though there is definitely a baseline you've got to pass.

It makes sense, I guess. With only 2,000 students and next to nothing in the area, they want to make sure you can keep yourself busy and help keep others busy too. Show how you'd add to campus life.

The Kitty Cat

Banned deucer.
Another factor is that CS is the largest focus at these schools. Sure, these are big places with lots of kids, but the CS departments are taken VERY well care of andUS news aside, go to professors, recruitors, etc., and they will tell you that there are very evident "cut-offs" amongst undergrad departments, and Princeton is not apart of the upper eschelon.
You do realise that CS and engineering are among the flattest fields and that the some of the most "prestigious" tech firms recruit and do interviews on campus for schools far less respected than UIUC and Princeton, right?

is UMass Amherst a cool place to live in/expect a good job from after 4 years? Just asking in case anyone knows!

Cool place to live? No
Expect a good job after four years? Only if you study the right shit
My mistake...not 4 years,5 :(,integrated bs/ms in comp sci. I'm rather curious though as to what scores most of you guys have in the SAT =0

Last edited:

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
You do realise that CS and engineering are among the flattest fields and that the some of the most "prestigious" tech firms recruit and do interviews on campus for schools far less respected than UIUC and Princeton, right?
Some career fairs are (much) better (and more frequent) than others. There is a clear divide between Berkeley, Stanford, CMU, and MIT and the rest of them when it comes to r&D, prestige, opportunities, difficulty, etc.

The Kitty Cat

Banned deucer.
Some career fairs are (much) better (and more frequent) than others. There is a clear divide between Berkeley, Stanford, CMU, and MIT and the rest of them when it comes to r&D, prestige, opportunities, difficulty, etc.
I don't think that's what you were talking about, though. People who studied at fuck-nowhere get software engineering jobs at Apple, Google, Facebook, Dropbox etc. Membership of what you call the "upper echelon" has little practical impact outside peer effects for students interested in going into industry rather than attending graduate school. In the latter case, people can easily find research opportunities outside their home university to compensate. Point is, there's no reason to attend Stanford or Berkeley out-of-state on your expense if your goal is to optimise your financial situation upon graduation.

I don't think that's what you were talking about, though. People who studied at fuck-nowhere get software engineering jobs at Apple, Google, Facebook, Dropbox etc. Membership of what you call the "upper echelon" has little practical impact outside peer effects for students interested in going into industry rather than attending graduate school. In the latter case, people can easily find research opportunities outside their home university to compensate. Point is, there's no reason to attend Stanford or Berkeley out-of-state on your expense if your goal is to optimise your financial situation upon graduation.
Sorry, but I'm not entirely convinced that there is no "practical effect" for attending "upper echelon" schools. Do you have any sources to support your claim? Yeah, people from fuck-nowhere schools get software engineering jobs. That doesn't prove anything about the impact that a more prestigious university has in helping a student get that job. It just means that you can still get a software engineering job even if you don't go to a prestigious university. I find it hard to believe that going to Stanford has "no effect" in terms of optimizing one's financial situation. On that note, I would also think that for graduate school, where one studied for undergraduate wouldn't be as important due to that being more about how one did individual at their school? And that for industry it would be more important with factors such as school connections, alumni, etc? Maybe I'm wrong lol but idk

I think that college decisions vary greatly on an individual basis and that yeah, Stanford isn't for everyone due to factors such as cost. But saying that there's no reason to go Stanford if you want to get a high paying job post college is a bit preposterous I feel. That isn't to say that you need to go to Stanford or another prestigious university to get that job. Stanford doesn't guarantee a job in the slightest. And as evidenced by people from fuck-nowhere schools getting software engineering jobs, there is still a large onus on one's self to do the work and to take advantage of the opportunities you have at your disposal to get what you want from college.

The Kitty Cat

Banned deucer.
Sorry, but I'm not entirely convinced that there is no "practical effect" for attending "upper echelon" schools. Do you have any sources to support your claim? Yeah, people from fuck-nowhere schools get software engineering jobs. That doesn't prove anything about the impact that a more prestigious university has in helping a student get that job.
My sources are purely anecdotal and based on personal experience. I would argue that the students at MIT and Stanford are much more skilled as prospective software engineers than those elsewhere, but part of that has a lot to do with both self-selection and the filtering done by admissions officers to the school. The only impact I see is peer effects: If your friends have been coding since the age of 5 and applying for internships at top tech firms rather starting out in middle school a just barely getting by, then you'll likely push yourself quite a bit more and be able to learn more from them.

On that note, I would also think that for graduate school, where one studied for undergraduate wouldn't be as important due to that being more about how one did individual at their school?
No, the most important factor for admissions to graduate school is quality of research and the strength letters of recommendation from the faculty known to people on the admissions board. Schools with larger, more reputable computer science departments are more likely to have more people working on problems of interest to the student, have faculty who know how to train students to become effective researchers and are more likely to have better connections to top graduate schools. The skills needed to become a good PhD student require reporting on a more personal level and can only be evaluated by a small set of people working in the field for an extended time. Software engineering skills, on the other hand, can be judged by much less. Actual engineering fields have dedicated degree programs to ensure that students have the needed skills to solve this problem.

My sources are purely anecdotal and based on personal experience. I would argue that the students at MIT and Stanford are much more skilled as prospective software engineers than those elsewhere, but part of that has a lot to do with both self-selection and the filtering done by admissions officers to the school. The only impact I see is peer effects: If your friends have been coding since the age of 5 and applying for internships at top tech firms rather starting out in middle school a just barely getting by, then you'll likely push yourself quite a bit more and be able to learn more from them.
So there's no difference in the quality of education between attending MIT compared to say, Bowling Green? What about things like class sizes? Quality of professors? Access to professors? If all of that doesn't matter and it truly is "easy" to gain research experience, why bother with college at all if there's no difference between any school other than peer effects? If it's easy to find research opportunities (is it truly???), then why go through the whole college charade?

Do you believe that most companies do not recruit more heavily at certain schools? I know you can get a job from a fuck-nowhere school, but you really haven't addressed the fact that it might easier to get that same job if you go to a more prestigious university. Don't more prestigious schools have better connections to these sort of companies then fuck-nowhere schools that would better facilitate actually getting those jobs? Won't certain companies recruit more at more prestigious universities?

No, the most important factor for admissions to graduate school is quality of research and the strength letters of recommendation from the faculty known to people on the admissions board. Schools with larger, more reputable computer science departments are more likely to have more people working on problems of interest to the student, have faculty who know how to train students to become effective researchers and are more likely to have better connections to top graduate schools. The skills needed to become a good PhD student require reporting on a more personal level and can only be evaluated by a small set of people working in the field for an extended time. Software engineering skills, on the other hand, can be judged by much less. Actual engineering fields have dedicated degree programs to ensure that students have the needed skills to solve this problem.
But even though certain schools have better connections to top graduate schools, those sort of connections are easily replaceable right?

The only reason I'm challenging you on this considering I don't know anything about software engineering is because I don't think your advice is particularly good because it's too black/white and probably too specific. It's never as easy as "to maximize income, don't go to Stanford," unless you're the type of person who has been coding since 5 and has been preparing their entire life to be a software engineer, which, I doubt there are too many people who are like that. But for certain people (and maybe even most), the cost of Stanford will 100% be worth it. I personally think you're underplaying the effect that going to a school such as Stanford has on a student (given literature that has shown that going to prestigious university does matter). It's definitely more than just peer effects. I think there's also the quality of education received and the connections that a school has. But at the end of the day, I think you are right: you can attend a fuck-nowhere school for 0 cost and be successful if you are driven and take advantage of all the opportunities you are given. But how many people are truly brilliant enough to go to Ball State and still get that job at google? Maybe software engineering is a huge anomaly and it truly doesn't matter where you go. But in general, the type of school you go to definitely does matter in terms of income post-undergrad.

Out of curiosity, are you a grad student? Why did you decide to apply to MIT/Harvard given what you've said? Would you go to those schools if you were admitted knowing what you know now?

As an aside, I just want to say that SAT/ACT scores won't get you into top schools, but bad ones will get you eliminated.

Anyway, now that this is reopened.

PM me if you need a college essay read or need tips on college selection. I want to see people here get somewhere and am offering free college counseling to all, which means picking the schools that will be a good fit for you and read your essays yada-yada. I'll probably find some time to write up some helpful material for the general good.

That said, any transfers here? I'm currently reapplying to Stanford and Columbia since I originally denied them for financial reasons and started disliking the University of Maryland a bit.

The Kitty Cat

Banned deucer.
So there's no difference in the quality of education between attending MIT compared to say, Bowling Green? What about things like class sizes? Quality of professors? Access to professors? If all of that doesn't matter and it truly is "easy" to gain research experience, why bother with college at all if there's no difference between any school other than peer effects? If it's easy to find research opportunities (is it truly???), then why go through the whole college charade?
The thing about quality of education with respect to finding the jobs we were talking about is that most people who end up working successfully in them knew everything they use in those jobs before entering university.

The only reason I'm challenging you on this considering I don't know anything about software engineering is because I don't think your advice is particularly good because it's too black/white and probably too specific.
The point is that an exogenous change in the university you attend is not going to help you find a better job if you find a job in STEM. Also, note that when I say "fuck nowhere," a bit of a hyperbole, I am not talking about directional universities but rather schools people would be applying to top American universities if not accepted to their top choices (e.g. state flagships in states other than Illinois and California).

Out of curiosity, are you a grad student?
No.

Why did you decide to apply to MIT/Harvard given what you've said? Would you go to those schools if you were admitted knowing what you know now?
I have no interest in working industry. I would choose MIT over where I am currently attending but not Harvard.

As an aside, I just want to say that SAT/ACT scores won't get you into top schools, but bad ones will get you eliminated.
I know how the system works. A decent number of students from my secondary school are accepted to these schools every year.

The thing about quality of education with respect to finding the jobs we were talking about is that most people who end up working successfully in them knew everything they use in those jobs before entering university.
Why bother going to college then?

The point is that an exogenous change in the university you attend is not going to help you find a better job if you find a job in STEM. Also, note that when I say "fuck nowhere," a bit of a hyperbole, I am not talking about directional universities but rather schools people would be applying to top American universities if not accepted to their top choices (e.g. state flagships in states other than Illinois and California).
OK but the key phrase there is "if you find a job." A college degree would make it easier to actually get a job, would it not? For some people then, that might be the right path for them.

I know how the system works. A decent number of students from my secondary school are accepted to these schools every year.
Great, your statement and mine do not contradict, unless you want to make the claim that SAT scores do not matter at all, which is demonstratively false.

So I'm writing essays right now, and this is one of UChicago's actual prompts:

Rerhceseras say it’s siltl plisbsoe to raed txet wtih olny the frist and lsat ltteres in palce. This is beaucse the hamun mnid can fnid oderr in dorsdier. Give us your best example of finding order in disorder. (For your reader’s sake, please use full sentences with conventional spelling). —Also inspired by Payton Weidenbacher, Class of 2015. Payton is extra-inspirational this year!

I have no idea how to respond to this.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
So I'm writing essays right now, and this is one of UChicago's actual prompts:

Rerhceseras say it’s siltl plisbsoe to raed txet wtih olny the frist and lsat ltteres in palce. This is beaucse the hamun mnid can fnid oderr in dorsdier. Give us your best example of finding order in disorder. (For your reader’s sake, please use full sentences with conventional spelling). —Also inspired by Payton Weidenbacher, Class of 2015. Payton is extra-inspirational this year!

I have no idea how to respond to this.
recount a really memorable dream you had, in non-chronological order.

write a basic explanation of the activation-synthesis hypothesis. (basically the theory that dreams are just your brain trying to make sense of random electrical impulses)

between each paragraph of the dream tale include a sentence from ur explanation.

finish with "this essay has been left as an exercise for the reader as an example of a close second."

ive heard uchicago eats this sort of shit up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)