Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace / Pixilate
EVs: 108 HP / 124 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
I decided to build my team around M-Gardevoir. She runs a versatile EV spread because she is a versatile mon. Hyper Voice boosted by Pixelate will deal a powerful base 99 damage to both opponents. Psychic and Shadow Ball are decent coverage moves.

Arcanine @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 36 SpA / 12 SpD / 60 Spe
Nature: Bold
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Snarl
- Protect
M-Gardevoir appreciates the Fire-type coverage that Arcanine provides. He functions as a wallbreaker, which helps M-Gardevoir deal with physical attackers. Will-O-Wisp can cripple physical attackers, and Snarl helps deal with special attackers.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 236 HP / 140 Def / 132 SpA
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Recover
- Protect
Milotic is a great bulky Water-type, and provides Fire-type coverage for M-Gardevoir. With Competitive she easily walls Intimidate-users, which are common in VGC. Scald is a powerful STAB move that provides a possible Burn. Icy Wind provides coverage and Speed control, and with Recover, Milotic is a pain to take down.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Rage Powder
- Spore
Amoonguss is my team's utility mon. Regenerator and Giga Drain provide reliable coverage, as well as a decent STAB move. Rage Powder can redirect super effective hits from M-Gardevoir and put opponets to sleep with Spore, making Amoonguss very annoying to deal with.

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Protect
Bisharp provides Steel- and Dark-type coverage for M-Gardevoir. Iron Head is a good STAB move that provides a possible Flinch. Knock Off is one of the most useful moves in VGC, because a lot of mons rely on their items. Sucker Punch is good for predicting physical attackers.

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Rock Slide
Landorus is my team's Life Orb user. He runs a simple specially offensive EV spread and moveset with wide coverage. Earth Power is for STAB, and Rock Slide can deal decent damage to both opponents. Focus Blast and Sludge Bomb are for coverage.

Why do you need two pokemon that are anti-intimidate when your entire team consists of special attackers (and bisharp)?

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
This should be in the RMT section. Before reposting there I would change lando to a Lando-t with LO or AV to increase physical damage output of the team and still have a Heatran check.

Hi nympheon :) it's a very nice team, however you may need longer descriptions for each pokemon, otherwise the thread may be locked. anyway, about the team:
pros/cons
+ it has no overall open weaknesses and at least one resistance to every type, which is excellent :)
+ The fwg core really compliments gardevoir
+ amoonguss is one of the best partners for gardevoir :)
- bisharp's defiant / milotic's competitive support isn't appreciated, since all attackers are special, bar bisharp, who benefits from intimidate.
- sheer force landorus is banned :/ (choice scarf landorus-therian is typically better on this style of team)
- there is very little in terms of speed control

i would like to suggest some alternatives :)
here is a suggested framework for mega gardevoir teams, taken from the teambuilding frameworks page for doubles OU (i appreciate that there will be some difference to vgc in this metagame):

Mega Gardevoir Team Framework :
Team Roles

1) Mega Gardevoir (most are timid 4/252/252, some carry trick room)
2) Fast Offensive Support (most are Choice Scarf Landorus-T (for fast rock slide+intimidate), some can supply speed control e.g. tailwind talonflame(part of fwg core)/latios (Fantasy core))
3) Bulky Fire Type (Substitute Heatran is very good in this spot, Sash Infernape is also nice in this spot, or your Arcanine :) )
4) Water Defensive Support (most carry speed control, some have Intimidate / Will-O-Wisp / Scald to lower attack - Milotic is perfect here)
5) Kangaskhan Check/Counter (Usually a bulky attacker, Scrafty is very good here, as is Aegislash)
6) Wild Card, usually to complete popular tri-core typing, Amoonguss is perfect

with this in mind, i suggest you run a team with: Double Intimidate, a Gardevoir/Landorus-T/Amoonguss core, Fake Out and some form of speed control with either Trick Room or Thunder Wave to improve the team :)

Suggested Changes:

- Because most of the pokemon on this team are quite slow, i would suggest running trick room on gardevoir so that you have a good form of speed control on the team. i would suggest swapping TR with shadow ball, and the EV spread is pretty optimal for this, so adding TR would probably be the only change i suggest you make to gardevoir. however, running 36 Speed means gardevoir gets to speed creep bisharp after mega evolving, its up to you :)

- If you decide to run TR gardevoir, give milotic ice beam instead of icy wind, as it doesnt affect the effectiveness of trick room and handles landorus-t without the competitive boost. Also, i would change its EV spread to:
- 236 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpA / 12 SpD / 4 Spe
- Bold Nature
This survives Kangaskhan's double-edge and specs hydreigons draco meteor. Also, maranga or sitrus berry would be a nice alternative to leftovers. Maranga berry's SpDef boost and recover have really good synergy :] Sitrus berry is better than leftovers if you think milotic will survive less than 4 turns

- I would suggest you run scarf lando-t instead of landorus, as sheer force landorus is banned and scarf landorus-therian provides a fast rock slide, as well as double intimidate, which is fantastic support for mega gardevoir, as i have mentioned.

suggested set:

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
12 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Def / 4 SpD / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
– Earthquake
– Rock Slide
– Knock Off/U-Turn
– Superpower

- Survives +1 Bisharp Sucker Punch

- Arcanine is a very good choice for this team, but i would suggest changing this mon to substitute heatran, as it supplies a secondary source of powerful spread damage under trick room that handles the steel types gardevoir can't hit, as well as being a fantastic alternative 'bulky attacker' that adds to the fairy/fire/ground coverage trio.

suggested spread:

Heatran @ Shuca Berry/Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 172 HP / 52 Def / 252 SpA / 28 SpD / 4 Spe
/or/
EVs: 172 HP / 52 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 204 Spe -> outspeeds 252 Spe adamant bisharp
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

- Survives -1 life orb terrakion close combat

- I would suggest that you swap Bisharp for scrafty. this would act as a kangaskhan counter, as well as helping mega gardevoir set up trick room with fake out support. it can also fill arcanine's role with access to snarl/intimidate to manage the opponent's damage output and works well in trick room :)

suggested set:

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 164 Def / 4 SpA / 84 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
– Fake Out
– Snarl
– Drain Punch
– Knock Off

- Survives Terrakion’s Close Combat (without intimidate)
- Survives -1 Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird
- Survives max SpA Charizard-Y's Overheat in sun :]

Pretty bulky spread, focus on fake out, snarl and intimidate support instead of damage output, since it has little investment

Cons to these changes:
- The team is still slightly weak to talonflame, although landorus-t OHKOs it and heatran can wall it completely
+/- the team becomes a very 'bulky offensive' team and depending on your playstyle can hinder the team's effectiveness or improve it
+/- The team becomes a semi-trick room team, which unfortunately depends on gardevoir, but it gives you a distinct advantage over very fast teams as well as very slow teams, as you can reverse the opponent's trick room to suit your own team better. However, the whole team (bar landorus-t and scrafty) is mid-tier in speed so it struggles against other mid-speed-tier teams

Hope this helps :)

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace / Pixilate
EVs: 108 HP / 124 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
I decided to build my team around M-Gardevoir. She runs a versatile EV spread because she is a versatile mon. Hyper Voice boosted by Pixelate will deal a powerful base 99 damage to both opponents. Psychic and Shadow Ball are decent coverage moves.

Arcanine @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 36 SpA / 12 SpD / 60 Spe
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Snarl
- Protect
M-Gardevoir appreciates the Fire-type coverage that Arcanine provides. He functions as a wallbreaker, which helps M-Gardevoir deal with physical attackers. Will-O-Wisp can cripple physical attackers, and Snarl helps deal with special attackers.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 236 HP / 140 Def / 132 SpA
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Recover
- Protect
Milotic is a great bulky Water-type, and provides Fire-type coverage for M-Gardevoir. With Competitive she easily walls Intimidate-users, which are common in VGC. Scald is a powerful STAB move that provides a possible Burn. Icy Wind provides coverage and Speed control, and with Recover, Milotic is a pain to take down.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Rage Powder
- Spore
Amoonguss is my team's utility mon. Regenerator and Giga Drain provide reliable coverage, as well as a decent STAB move. Rage Powder can redirect super effective hits from M-Gardevoir and put opponets to sleep with Spore, making Amoonguss very annoying to deal with.

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Protect
Bisharp provides Steel- and Dark-type coverage for M-Gardevoir. Iron Head is a good STAB move that provides a possible Flinch. Knock Off is one of the most useful moves in VGC, because a lot of mons rely on their items. Sucker Punch is good for predicting physical attackers.

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Rock Slide
Landorus is my team's Life Orb user. He runs a simple specially offensive EV spread and moveset with wide coverage. Earth Power is for STAB, and Rock Slide can deal decent damage to both opponents. Focus Blast and Sludge Bomb are for coverage.

Last edited:
Hi nympheon :) it's a very nice team, however you may need longer descriptions for each pokemon, otherwise the thread may be locked. anyway, about the team:
pros/cons
+ it has no overall open weaknesses and at least one resistance to every type, which is excellent :)
+ The fwg core really compliments gardevoir
+ amoonguss is one of the best partners for gardevoir :)
- bisharp's defiant / milotic's competitive support isn't appreciated, since all attackers are special, bar bisharp, who benefits from intimidate.
- sheer force landorus is banned :/ (choice scarf landorus-therian is typically better on this style of team)
- there is very little in terms of speed control

i would like to suggest some alternatives :)
here is a suggested framework for mega gardevoir teams, taken from the teambuilding frameworks page for doubles OU (i appreciate that there will be some difference to vgc in this metagame):

Mega Gardevoir Team Framework :
Team Roles

1) Mega Gardevoir (most are timid 4/252/252, some carry trick room)
2) Fast Offensive Support (most are Choice Scarf Landorus-T (for fast rock slide+intimidate), some can supply speed control e.g. tailwind talonflame(part of fwg core)/latios (Fantasy core))
3) Bulky Fire Type (Substitute Heatran is very good in this spot, Sash Infernape is also nice in this spot, or your Arcanine :) )
4) Water Defensive Support (most carry speed control, some have Intimidate / Will-O-Wisp / Scald to lower attack - Milotic is perfect here)
5) Kangaskhan Check/Counter (Usually a bulky attacker, Scrafty is very good here, as is Aegislash)
6) Wild Card, usually to complete popular tri-core typing, Amoonguss is perfect

with this in mind, i suggest you run a team with: Double Intimidate, a Gardevoir/Landorus-T/Amoonguss core, Fake Out and some form of speed control with either Trick Room or Thunder Wave to improve the team :)

Suggested Changes:

- Because most of the pokemon on this team are quite slow, i would suggest running trick room on gardevoir so that you have a good form of speed control on the team. i would suggest swapping TR with shadow ball, and the EV spread is pretty optimal for this, so adding TR would probably be the only change i suggest you make to gardevoir. however, running 36 Speed means gardevoir gets to speed creep bisharp after mega evolving, its up to you :)

- If you decide to run TR gardevoir, give milotic ice beam instead of icy wind, as it doesnt affect the effectiveness of trick room and handles landorus-t without the competitive boost. Also, i would change its EV spread to:
- 236 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpA / 12 SpD / 4 Spe
- Bold Nature
This survives Kangaskhan's double-edge and specs hydreigons draco meteor. Also, maranga or sitrus berry would be a nice alternative to leftovers. Maranga berry's SpDef boost and recover have really good synergy :] Sitrus berry is better than leftovers if you think milotic will survive less than 4 turns

- I would suggest you run scarf lando-t instead of landorus, as sheer force landorus is banned and scarf landorus-therian provides a fast rock slide, as well as double intimidate, which is fantastic support for mega gardevoir, as i have mentioned.

suggested set:

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
12 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Def / 4 SpD / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
– Earthquake
– Rock Slide
– Knock Off/U-Turn
– Superpower

- Survives +1 Bisharp Sucker Punch

- Arcanine is a very good choice for this team, but i would suggest changing this mon to substitute heatran, as it supplies a secondary source of powerful spread damage under trick room that handles the steel types gardevoir can't hit, as well as being a fantastic alternative 'bulky attacker' that adds to the fairy/fire/ground coverage trio.

suggested spread:

Heatran @ Shuca Berry/Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 172 HP / 52 Def / 252 SpA / 28 SpD / 4 Spe
/or/
EVs: 172 HP / 52 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 204 Spe -> outspeeds 252 Spe adamant bisharp
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

- Survives -1 life orb terrakion close combat

- I would suggest that you swap Bisharp for scrafty. this would act as a kangaskhan counter, as well as helping mega gardevoir set up trick room with fake out support. it can also fill arcanine's role with access to snarl/intimidate to manage the opponent's damage output and works well in trick room :)

suggested set:

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 164 Def / 4 SpA / 84 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
– Fake Out
– Snarl
– Drain Punch
– Knock Off

- Survives Terrakion’s Close Combat (without intimidate)
- Survives -1 Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird
- Survives max SpA Charizard-Y's Overheat in sun :]

Pretty bulky spread, focus on fake out, snarl and intimidate support instead of damage output, since it has little investment

Cons to these changes:
- The team is still slightly weak to talonflame, although landorus-t OHKOs it and heatran can wall it completely
+/- the team becomes a very 'bulky offensive' team and depending on your playstyle can hinder the team's effectiveness or improve it
+/- The team becomes a semi-trick room team, which unfortunately depends on gardevoir, but it gives you a distinct advantage over very fast teams as well as very slow teams, as you can reverse the opponent's trick room to suit your own team better. However, the whole team (bar landorus-t and scrafty) is mid-tier in speed so it struggles against other mid-speed-tier teams

Hope this helps :)
Thank you for the very detailed rate!

I want to make a Trick Room team with Gardevoir in the future, but I'm still new to VGC and I know Trick Room teams are more advanced. For now I'll stick with regular Gardevoir, but I'll take your Trick Room suggestions in the future.

I changed Gardevoir's nature the Timid. I replaced Landorus with your suggested Landorus-T set, and Arcanine with your suggested Heatran set so I don't have two intimidate users. I also swapped Bisharp for Scrafty so I have a Kangaskhan check and a Snarl user to replace Arcanine. I chose a Careful nature instead of Relaxed because Gardevoir isn't running Trick Room.

This was very helpful, thanks again!

Trick room teams arent necessarily tricky to use, its just that your team is quite slow, so if the majority of the opposing team is faster than yours then the TR core of gardevoir/scrafty/amoonguss/heatran can help you take it out :)
Tailwind would be a nice speed control alternative, and gardevoir partners well with tailwind talonflame (who could be part of a fwg core). ally switch is a great alternative slot for trick room on gardevoir which acts as 'offensive redirection' and plays mind games with the opponent

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)