Resource ORAS OU Viability Ranking Thread V3 - Read Post 3451 Page 139

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw someone talking about this earlier, so...
Nominating Rhyperior to B-.

First, let's start by talking about how it's pretty much the hardest counter to Bird Spam. It can easily come in on any of Talonflame, Staraptor, and Mega Pinsir's (bar +2 Close Combat on the switch) moves with ease, while the opponent is forced to switch out most of the time, getting you a free turn to set up stealth rock. Here's a replay showing the capabilities of Rhyperior against a Bird Spam team.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-228047932
I know this is a rather lackluster replay do to the little time Rhyperior got to actually go in, but unfortunately it's the only one I have at the moment. Due to the presence of Rhyperior on my team, however, his Talonflame (which was Choice Band I believe) was either forced to Flare Blitz and get walled by Rhyperior or pivot out of there. In the end of the replay, Rhyperior easily stopped the 3 last pokemon on his team. I was also able to set up stealth rock due to Rhyperior checking his Choice Specs Raikou.
Speaking of Electric types, Rhyperior can also deal with the majority of them. In the replay provided, Rhyperior was able to come in on Raikou's Volt Switch with ease, forcing a switch and being able to get stealth rock up. This is also the case with several other electric types as well, such as Mega Manectric and non-Grass Knot Thundurus. Thanks to Solid Rock and Hidden Power's low base power, Rhyperior can tank Hidden Power Ice from all 3 of these pokemon pretty well (though Choice Specs Raikou is a 2HKO).
Rhyperior also has a wide movepool. Stealth Rock is an essential component on any team, and Rhyperior can often find many opportunities to set it up. Earthquake can easily OHKO a majority of the electric types in the tier and can do a decent amount of damage to non-resists. Stone Edge takes out the Flying Types that Rhyperior counters hard. The fourth moveslot is whatever the team needs the most. Ice Punch can be used to smack Garchomp or Landorus-T predicting an earthquake pretty hard. Fire Punch can be used to muscle pass Scizor and Ferrothorn lacking Power Whip. Toxic is also a viable option as well, crippling pokemon that come in to tank hits from Rhyperior. Dragon Tail and Roar can also be used to get hazard damage on forced switches.
Rhyperior seeks competition with other bulky ground types, such as Garchomp, Hippowdon, and Landorus-T. The main advantage that Rhyperior has over them is the rock typing, allowing Rhyperior to wall flying types to no end. One of the downsides of using Rhyperior is the lack of recovery besides leftovers, but this can be fixed with Wish Support. Rhyperior's weaknesses to common types, such as grass, water, ground, and fighting, can all be covered by another pokemon that Rhyperior has good synergy with, such as Mega Venusaur or Tangrowth.

To conclude, Rhyperior is a rather solid (no pun intended) pokemon in the metagame, having the niche as a Stealth Rock Setter that can check Bird Spam and VoltTurn cores. It's great ability in Solid Rock allows Rhyperior to beat many pokemon with the correct coverage, such as Mega Scizor and Garchomp.

Relevant Calcs
252 Atk Choice Band Staraptor Close Combat vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 183-216 (43.1 - 50.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (Rhyperior OHKO's back with Stone Edge)

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Rhyperior: 77-91 (18.1 - 21.4%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery (Rhyperior OHKO's back. If Talonflame is a Stall Breaker set and burns Rhyperior on the switch, Stone Edge still OHKO's)

+2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 294-346 (69.3 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Rhyperior OHKO's with Stone Edge)

252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 163-193 (38.4 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (Earthquake is a OHKO after stealth rock)

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 201-238 (47.4 - 56.1%) -- 25.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Assuming you switch into Thunder Wave or Thunderbolt, non-Focus Blast/Grass Knot Thundurus is OHKO'd by Stone Edge)

252 SpA Raikou Hidden Power Ice vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 145-172 (34.1 - 40.5%) -- 50.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (Earthquake is a OHKO. Choice Specs Raikou can 2HKO with HP Ice)

+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Rhyperior: 250-295 (58.9 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Both STABs are a OHKO)

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 177-208 (41.7 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (Rhyperior 2HKO's with Ice Punch and can OHKO with stealth rock and some prior damage)

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 163-193 (38.4 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (Choice Scarf Garchomp is OHKO'd by Ice Punch after stealth rock)

0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 100-121 (23.5 - 28.5%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery (Ice Punch has a chance to OHKO specially defensive Gliscor after stealth rock)

+2 84 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 193-229 (45.5 - 54%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Fire Punch is a 2HKO, so prior damage is needed to check Bulky Sword Dance Scizor)

0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (72 BP) vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 73-87 (17.2 - 20.5%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery (non-Power Whip Ferrothorn can't do much to you, while you can 2HKO with Fire Punch)

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Saw someone talking about this earlier, so...
Nominating Rhyperior to B-.

First, let's start by talking about how it's pretty much the hardest counter to Bird Spam. It can easily come in on any of Talonflame, Staraptor, and Mega Pinsir's (bar +2 Close Combat on the switch) moves with ease, while the opponent is forced to switch out most of the time, getting you a free turn to set up stealth rock. Here's a replay showing the capabilities of Rhyperior against a Bird Spam team.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-228047932
I know this is a rather lackluster replay do to the little time Rhyperior got to actually go in, but unfortunately it's the only one I have at the moment. Due to the presence of Rhyperior on my team, however, his Talonflame (which was Choice Band I believe) was either forced to Flare Blitz and get walled by Rhyperior or pivot out of there. In the end of the replay, Rhyperior easily stopped the 3 last pokemon on his team. I was also able to set up stealth rock due to Rhyperior checking his Choice Specs Raikou.
Speaking of Electric types, Rhyperior can also deal with the majority of them. In the replay provided, Rhyperior was able to come in on Raikou's Volt Switch with ease, forcing a switch and being able to get stealth rock up. This is also the case with several other electric types as well, such as Mega Manectric and non-Grass Knot Thundurus. Thanks to Solid Rock and Hidden Power's low base power, Rhyperior can tank Hidden Power Ice from all 3 of these pokemon pretty well (though Choice Specs Raikou is a 2HKO).
Rhyperior also has a wide movepool. Stealth Rock is an essential component on any team, and Rhyperior can often find many opportunities to set it up. Earthquake can easily OHKO a majority of the electric types in the tier and can do a decent amount of damage to non-resists. Stone Edge takes out the Flying Types that Rhyperior counters hard. The fourth moveslot is whatever the team needs the most. Ice Punch can be used to smack Garchomp or Landorus-T predicting an earthquake pretty hard. Fire Punch can be used to muscle pass Scizor and Ferrothorn lacking Power Whip. Toxic is also a viable option as well, crippling pokemon that come in to tank hits from Rhyperior. Dragon Tail and Roar can also be used to get hazard damage on forced switches.
Rhyperior seeks competition with other bulky ground types, such as Garchomp, Hippowdon, and Landorus-T. The main advantage that Rhyperior has over them is the rock typing, allowing Rhyperior to wall flying types to no end. One of the downsides of using Rhyperior is the lack of recovery besides leftovers, but this can be fixed with Wish Support. Rhyperior's weaknesses to common types, such as grass, water, ground, and fighting, can all be covered by another pokemon that Rhyperior has good synergy with, such as Mega Venusaur or Tangrowth.

To conclude, Rhyperior is a rather solid (no pun intended) pokemon in the metagame, having the niche as a Stealth Rock Setter that can check Bird Spam and VoltTurn cores. It's great ability in Solid Rock allows Rhyperior to beat many pokemon with the correct coverage, such as Mega Scizor and Garchomp.

Relevant Calcs
252 Atk Choice Band Staraptor Close Combat vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 183-216 (43.1 - 50.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (Rhyperior OHKO's back with Stone Edge)

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Rhyperior: 77-91 (18.1 - 21.4%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery (Rhyperior OHKO's back. If Talonflame is a Stall Breaker set and burns Rhyperior on the switch, Stone Edge still OHKO's)

+2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 294-346 (69.3 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Rhyperior OHKO's with Stone Edge)

252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 163-193 (38.4 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (Earthquake is a OHKO after stealth rock)

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 201-238 (47.4 - 56.1%) -- 25.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Assuming you switch into Thunder Wave or Thunderbolt, non-Focus Blast/Grass Knot Thundurus is OHKO'd by Stone Edge)

252 SpA Raikou Hidden Power Ice vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 145-172 (34.1 - 40.5%) -- 50.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (Earthquake is a OHKO. Choice Specs Raikou can 2HKO with HP Ice)

+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Rhyperior: 250-295 (58.9 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Both STABs are a OHKO)

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 177-208 (41.7 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (Rhyperior 2HKO's with Ice Punch and can OHKO with stealth rock and some prior damage)

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 163-193 (38.4 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (Choice Scarf Garchomp is OHKO'd by Ice Punch after stealth rock)

0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 100-121 (23.5 - 28.5%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery (Ice Punch has a chance to OHKO specially defensive Gliscor after stealth rock)

+2 84 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 193-229 (45.5 - 54%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Fire Punch is a 2HKO, so prior damage is needed to check Bulky Sword Dance Scizor)

0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (72 BP) vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 73-87 (17.2 - 20.5%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery (non-Power Whip Ferrothorn can't do much to you, while you can 2HKO with Fire Punch)
The only real problem i have is that does rhyperior really have any reason to be used over hippo?
You mention that it sets rocks while checking bird spam and volturn cores. Hippo does that too, if not better. Slack off helps it heal back from hp ices, and while it doesn't resist flying, rhyperior's rock typing still leaves it open to coverage like close combat so its not much better. Even worse, you'll see stuff like diancie breaking through with earth power and bisharp with iron head, making the rock typing a burden in some ways.Ultimately, it's just an inferior hippo, and I'd never even consider defensive rhyperior over hippo.

To be totally honest, I'd think the better reason of using this thing is a super fun choice band set.
It does the things hippo does but to a lesser extent, while instead taking advantage of edgequake STABs and its awesome coverage in fire punch, aqua tail (the ones i usually go with), ice punch, thunder punch, hammer arm, and lol megahorn.
It's a really nice tank that, while not setting rocks, offers the same defensive niches that hippo does to a lesser extend while being amazingly powerful and luring in some common switch-ins. Ferro, zor, and skarm will often come in thinking they're safe only to take huge hits:
252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 190-225 (53.9 - 63.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 44+ Def Mega Scizor: 187-222 (54.5 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 162-192 (48.5 - 57.4%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Same goes for waters:
252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 192-226 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 285-336 (78.9 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 310-366 (95.9 - 113.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 186-220 (46 - 54.4%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

and bulky grounds:
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Aqua Tail vs. 0 HP / 76 Def Landorus-T: 228-270 (71.4 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Aqua Tail vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 238-282 (56.6 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 211-250 (50.2 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Rhyperior can take an earthquake or two as well and kill them the next turn. The best part is that people expect rhyperior to be the defensive set and switch-in pretty freely, not wary of a CB earthquake that might just OHKO their keldeo :3 Considering the popularity of shit like char-x recently cb rhyperior is a super cool bulky offense check to it as well.
Rhyperior shouldn't raise because it's an inferior hippo with a rock typing and no healing, but it should raise because of its decent offensive presence. And this set highlights that pretty well.

It's natural bulk ofc is useful for checking shit outside of fires, flyings, and electrics. It can even 1v1 mega altaria pretty comfortably:
+1 192+ Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Return vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Rhyperior: 243-286 (57.8 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 262-309 (85.3 - 100.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Imma nice guy so i'll post a set too
Rhyperior @ Choice Band
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Fire Punch

60 speed is to outpace hippo so you can aqua tail twice for the kill. max attack rest into hp.

Sure, it'll get worn down pretty quickly but it will have probably gotten off a few big hits in the process, so that's good enough :] lets get this big boy to B-

Last edited:
So, I'd like to vouch for Wobb for a sec here, because I think people aren't using him to his fullest potential. First thing, yeah, he basically always gets at least one kill per match. It's that simple. It can often kill with Counter or Magic Coat after taking as little as ~30% because of the enormous disparity between his base HP and that of many frailer mons in the OU metagame. It's not rare to get two kills per match with Wobbuffet. You can say he's predictable, but it honestly doesn't matter. If I bring my Wobb in on your All-out-attacker Mega Lopunny, you know that I'm going to use Counter, but what are you going to do with that information? Use HJK followed by Return to maximize your damage output before going down? Wobb's still above 70% at this point with Leftovers recovery. And Lop isn't even close to the only mon Wobb gets essentially a guaranteed kill on. Mons that generally carry four attacking moves are often easily dealt with. Big, dangerous threats are included here. Meta Metagross, Mega Medicham, (Mega) Alakazam, literally almost anything choiced, etc. If at full health he can take a Knock off from goddamn Weavile and Counter for the KO. Some threats are a little more complicated to deal with, but many are literally that simple. He can eat most non-STAB U-turns and Counter the switch-in.

But that's not even close to the best thing about Wobb. Because here's the thing. I bring my Wobb in on your TankChomp. You choose now between setting rocks and attacking. I'm using Encore either way. You don't want to lose Chomp before getting rocks up, so you set rocks. I use Encore. What happens now? I switch to BD Azu and set up absolutely for free, while you are forced to switch out. Neither Wobb nor Azu took any damage in the process. And Wobb can pull this off over and over and over again. These free setup opportunities aren't confined to moves like SR or Spikes. If I encore your Toxic or TWave or Wisp, then use Safeguard, then switch out, then use a setup move, it is only the following turn that you're released from Encore. So essentially, any status-category move that is not Taunt allows for absolutely free setup by Wobb's teammates.

So what I'm trying to say is that Wobb works best on teams paired with dangerous setup sweepers for whom a single absolutely free turn of setup is a death sentence for the opposing team. There are many such sweepers available in OU. Repeatedly guaranteeing free setup, in my view, is what Wobb is actually good at, and hell if it isn't significantly better than any other mon for this serious niche. I don't think Gothitelle is even comparable.

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The only real problem i have is that does rhyperior really have any reason to be used over hippo?
rhype actually has offensive presence with a defensive set.

Edit: Backing up Wobbu to move up to B- or maybe B, it is just so good at eliminating mons 1v1 and making room for sweepers to sweep. It can also encore on rocks leads and the likes to allow teammates to set up and sweep as well as beating half of the fucking tier 1v1. Threatening sweepers that take out your team's best mons can be reduced to afterthought after going 1v1 with slowbro. Encore+safegaurd is a lethal combination that allows Slowbro to break support mons and get easy setup opportunities for mons like SD lucario and BD azu, and is all in all a great mon.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-262879796 (he couldnt win at the point he forfeited)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-262880760 (nothing on his team could brake megabro when it switched into ferro)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-262897427 (Eliminated LO Shadow Ball Zam for slowbro)

i might get more if it is needed

Last edited:
i have a good mega glalie hyper offense and i can say i would have no problem with it being d rank. before getting to this, i just want to say that glalie is meant to break (semi)stall builds with a set of return / earthquake / freeze dry. the last slot is a filler. ice shard is very useful against offense. hidden power [fire] lets you break mega scizor and ferrothorn which wall you. explosion is ass to be honest. you sack your glalie and there are too many mind games for it. the only reason to use explosion is if you are in need for a klefki lure. double-edge is frankly shit too because you take recoil especially against chansey (and stall is the best matchup for glalie !). return hits hard enough already.

Last edited:
But that's not even close to the best thing about Wobb. Because here's the thing. I bring my Wobb in on your TankChomp. You choose now between setting rocks and attacking. I'm using Encore either way. You don't want to lose Chomp before getting rocks up, so you set rocks. I use Encore. What happens now? I switch to BD Azu and set up absolutely for free, while you are forced to switch out. Neither Wobb nor Azu took any damage in the process. And Wobb can pull this off over and over and over again. These free setup opportunities aren't confined to moves like SR or Spikes. If I encore your Toxic or TWave or Wisp, then use Safeguard, then switch out, then use a setup move, it is only the following turn that you're released from Encore. So essentially, any status-category move that is not Taunt allows for absolutely free setup by Wobb's teammates.
ok im not disagreeing or agreeing with you, its just that IMO this example is horrible, i can see the scenario your're trying to create but this is just not a good example of that scenario, who would use stealth rock against a wobbuffet first turn over dragon tail which is arguably a staple on Tank Chomp which forces wobbu out without any back lash from wobbu. but something else i think people are not underestimating wobbuffet, but over-estimating its support capabilities; yes wobbu gives great support for sweepers against the "right" team but wobbu also needs a lot of team support it self, it needs hazard control, a cleric, a dark check (tho teams should have a dark check naturally), and is taunt fodder. i would be fine with wobbu rising to B- Rank, i just think people have been using "poor" arguments and have been over-hyping its capabilities against gothitelle's. when IMO they may both be trappers but these 2 do different things tbh, wobbuffet is sweep opportunity support, while gothitelle is used to cripple opposing walls/stall cores. like in gothitelle's analysis gothitelle and wobbuffet are opposites with their niche against teams, "gothitelle eliminates stall cores whilst wobbuffet beats offensive one's." - Gothitelle Smogon Analysis

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I think Sylveon, Conk, Rhyperior and Zapdos are fine where they are. Not much to say right now I think most has been said and don't feel like making a longer post unless someone asks me tonight .>.

Pangoro can drop. When a comparison argument or theorymon is used it makes it seem like it's this unstoppable monster that can break down defensive cores. Any legitimate niche it has isn't enough to put it on the level of arguably way better C- stuff regardless if they warrant a raise or not such as the Nidos and Forretress as two primary examples, even Cresselia whose defensive utility on TR is far more beneficial as a whole in the meta than using a Pangoro. Pangoro is arguably also worse than a lot of the D ranked mons such as Mienshao, Meloetta, Cloyster, and even Haxorus.

Don't really understand the logic in ever using Roserade, like D makes a bit of sense but not C-. Granted this is self proclaimed terrible logic but having 0 relevancy to provide anything is kind of offputting to say the least.

Landorus is gone, can we finally just drop Blissey now ._.

M-Glalie is hot but I don't personally care if gets placed in D or not. I know a bunch of people have made it work but we'll just get paragraphs about outclassed and other nonsense when shit like Mega Latios is still ranked lol so gonna avoid that discussion in the long run.

I agree with AM on pangoro, I have no idea why it was ranked in the first place. But I want to discuss shuckle. I personally think sticky web is shit right now, and I think it's always been shit. Yes, it can work, people have made it work, but a decent player could theoretically make anything work given the right team. That doesn't mean the play-style is good. Looking through the A and S ranks, there are a ton of mons who give no shits about sticky web as a hazard.

Pokemon who are immune to sticky web's effects:
Altaria (Pre-Mega), CharX (pre-mega), Gyarados/MegaGyara (Pre-mega), Lando-T, Lati@s, Talonflame, Thunderus, Tornanus-T, CharY, Gengar, Gliscor, Skarm, Metagross (Pre-mega), Diancie (Pre-mega), MegaDactyl, Pinsir (Post-Mega), Rotom-W

Pokemon who don't care about sticky web's effects:
Clefable, Azu (usually), Ferro, Hippo, Sabeleye, Mega Scizor (sometimes), (Mega) Slowbro, Some T-tar sets, Mega Venu, Klefki, Mag (sometimes), Politoed

Pokemon who benefit from sticky web's effects:
Bisharp, Contrarian Snek

That's 34 pokemon out of the 54 (i think unless i miscounted) residing in S and A ranks. That's a good 63% of the best pokemon in the metagame who don't give a rat's ass about sticky web. And that's not even the whole of OU itself. On top of this, hazards are so easy to keep off the field these days with magic bounce, defog, and rapid spin users everywhere that keeping webs up is about as easy as making them useful. Since webs are Shuckle's only real niche, I would promote him to drop to C-/D.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I think I'll talk a bit about Rhyperior because I really liked it back when it was worth using in late XY, but ever since then it has been incredibly lackluster and rarely ever worth using (especially in the current meta).

The first key point against it has to be competition; Garchomp, Hippowdon, and Landorus-T all find themselves among the most common Pokemon, stealth rock setters, and ground type tanks/walls (Hippo being a wall, the other two being tanks). These three are far more practical and effective than Rhyperior when push comes to shove. Hippowdon outdoes it in the most specific fashion because it maintains almost as much physical bulk while having recovery, a neutrality against steel and fighting, better special bulk (well, better ability to check electrics than Phys def rhyp), and sand if you're using it with Exca. Hippowdon finds its way onto a fair amount of balanced teams as a bulky SRer and physical stop to a lot of things, but Rhyperior's one small thing it has over it is the fact that it fits better on offense...the thing is that Tank Chomp and LandoT both are way better on offense because they aren't slow as shit and offer chip damage or u-turn. When it's all said in done, it is hardly ever worth using Rhyperior over something else on a team nowadays given the competition being practical, effective, and simply better in comparison.

To add onto this, you have to question Rhyperior's walling capabilities in the current metagame. Yes, it can still wall Talonflame, Mega ZardX, Tyranitar, the rare Mega Pinsir, non-Focus Blast Torn-T, and a few others, but the ORAS metagame has shaped around a lot of Pokemon, new and old, that do quite well against a slow ground/rock type like Rhyperior. Just look at S and A+ rank, which have a combined 24 Pokemon last I checked...Rhyperior only walls 3-4 of them. To put it simply, Rhyperior is really bad in the current metagame and most offensive teams will only have 1 or 2 Pokemon at most that allow it to set-up and wall anything too easily while teams may have more Pokemon that struggle against Hippo, Garchomp, or LandoT due to their speed, chip damage capabilities, access to U-turn, recovery, better typing, and/or other redeeming qualities. Overall, Rhyperior is barely even viable and should certainly not rise, it should drop to C if anything, but I think that C+ is ok as well and picking between the two for it isn't too big of a deal.

Oh right, CB Rhyph I have never tried, but it doesn't seem to be a good enough to be its saving grace @ the above poster arguing on behalf of that Rhyph variant.

-----
I don't think anyone has used Blissey in ages - even when Lando (walled Knock variants), Aegi (could beat if it ran Flame, which Chansey never will run), etc were around it was lackluster, but now it's even worse and almost always left out in favor of Chansey. I think it could drop all the way to D, but if there is some remotely noteworthy reason to use it over Chansey on an aids stall team in a meta without Knock Lando-I, then I guess C- could pass.

-----
I don't necessarily mind Heracoss staying where it is right now, but outside of some people using it earlier on in ORAS because "omg guts CB Hera makes checking Mega Sable ez", has anyone actually used this thing effectively? I feel like regular Hera could maybe be ok...but there isn't much reason to use it, hardly anybody uses it, and there are alt of checks to it out there while there are a lot of better offensive Pokemon to use in general, so I think this could possibly drop (just not entirely sure because I never have used it, just noticed a complete void of it in gameplay).

RichieTheGarchomp

Banned deucer.
honestly since from what ive seen we dont really make mons unranked because they are outclassed but i think rhyp is an exception. this guy is literally more outclassed then blissey. i mean he literally has nothing over anybody, unless you count the extremely dependent and honestly trash WP RP set someone made (no h8 on whoever made it) but i mean its really just kinda trash in general... i would honestly say bring this thing down to unranked but i guess its got a niche in the sense of CB... other then that it gets absolutely rekt by any water type and any grass type imaginable, plus some other mons that just fuck it up. it defo deserves C rank, i mean honestly no one would notice it being unranked either but thats not the point of a viability chart

now, i wanna talk about another mon thats been really bothering the fuck out of me with its stupid annoying playstyle. im looking at you bludz. does this mon even have a weakness? why isnt it in S rank?

Edit: didnt realize the C+ and below discussion... removing volc talk

Last edited:

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Honestly, I don't know where the calls to raise Mega Absol to C+ came from. It isn't even close to on the same level as 'mons like Cobalion, Infernape, and Wobbuffet. However, it's also not as bad as Tressed is making it out to be. I don't feel like saying there's no reason to run it over Weavile and Bisharp is justified; Mega Absol can always run Baton Pass to be able to pass its boosts to something like Talonflame (M-Absol baits Fairy-types a lot) and even without Baton Pass, the match-up against Thundurus (and Mega Sableye, although this is shaky because of Foul Play) / other users of status moves (you'll need Fire Blast for Skarmory though who 2-shots you with Brave Bird... frail) shouldn't be underrated, although Baton Pass is basically the only reason you'd use Mega Absol over Mega Diancie, who offers the same offensive Magic Bounce deal and more, but nobody's suggesting putting Mega Absol in the same rank.

I'm not going to say whether or not it should be dropped, because I feel like I'm biased given that I wrote the analysis for the SD set. However, I will say that the way I see it, there's even less of a reason to use Mega Latios just based on the fact that it's outclassed by regular Latios, so if we're going to drop Mega Absol, Mega Latios should drop to the same rank. I'll also say that Mega Absol is definitely better than Smeargle and Salamence, so D is too low. I wouldn't rank it lower than C-, but I also wouldn't rank it higher than C, is what I'm saying here. (but to be fair, Mega Houndoom was nominated for a drop so if that drops, Mega Absol should probably drop too)

------------

I... Can't really find a reason to use Blissey over Chansey. Maybe you could have justified it with Knock Off Lando-I, but now... Well, I mean, on paper, not being as crippled by Knock Off and being able to decently use some kind of offensive move (iirc, Blissey can break Gengar's subs but Chansey lol Seismic Toss) would justify C-, but I think this thing needs to be tested more.

-------------

Can we talk about regular Sableye? Honestly, I don't really see a reason to use Sableye and not use its Mega. I mean, yeah, Mega Sableye loses Prankster, but Thundurus and Klefki are better options for Prankster and I'm not really sure if having Recover and Will-O-Wisp (and Taunt over Klefki) over those two justifies... I don't know, using Sableye but not its Mega. In addition, Sableye's Mega Evolution patches up quite a bit of Sableye's lackluster bulk which I think makes up for losing Prankster (even then, you still get the effects of Prankster on the turn you Mega Evolve.) Regular Metagross at least has Assault Vest to be able to more solidly counter threats like Latios, regular Heracross has Guts + Choice Band to be able to take advantage of status to wallbreak, but if I'm using Sableye, I'm using its Mega and if I really need a Prankster Taunt or Will-O-Wisp, just avoid Mega Evolving until I need to.

Can we talk about regular Sableye? Honestly, I don't really see a reason to use Sableye and not use its Mega. I mean, yeah, Mega Sableye loses Prankster, but Thundurus and Klefki are better options for Prankster and I'm not really sure if having Recover and Will-O-Wisp (and Taunt over Klefki) over those two justifies... I don't know, using Sableye but not its Mega. In addition, Sableye's Mega Evolution patches up quite a bit of Sableye's lackluster bulk which I think makes up for losing Prankster (even then, you still get the effects of Prankster on the turn you Mega Evolve.) Regular Metagross at least has Assault Vest to be able to more solidly counter threats like Latios, regular Heracross has Guts + Choice Band to be able to take advantage of status to wallbreak, but if I'm using Sableye, I'm using its Mega and if I really need a Prankster Taunt or Will-O-Wisp, just avoid Mega Evolving until I need to.
im sorry but i don't see why your "complaining" about Normal Sableye, it hasn't been used as an argument for a rise or drop and hasn't been nominated to rise. indeed no real point in using sableye without using its mega besides prankster with lefties but it is required to be ranked since it is apart of the OU tier because of its mega. this might change in the long future if it is decided we tier mega's differently from their base form but till then, sableye has its poor small niche as a "troll" prankster user in OU and will be ranked accordingly to its viability. (This was based off my assumption that your're trying to nominate Sableye --> Unranked)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
im sorry but i don't see why your "complaining" about Normal Sableye, it hasn't been used as an argument for a rise or drop and hasn't been nominated to rise. indeed no real point in using sableye without using its mega besides prankster with lefties but it is required to be ranked since it is apart of the OU tier because of its mega. this might change in the long future if it is decided we tier mega's differently from their base form but till then, sableye has its poor small niche as a "troll" prankster user in OU and will be ranked accordingly to its viability. (This was based off my assumption that your're trying to nominate Sableye --> Unranked)
Wait hello? You're saying Charizard, Altaria, Manectric, Pinsir, and Lopunny need to be ranked then? Mons like Scizor, Gyarados, Metagross, Alakazam, and Latios are separated from their Mega because they have discernible viable niches in their own right. The issue with Sableye is that it is rarely worth using without having access to its Mega Evolution as Mega Sableye always has the option of holding off on MEvolving and function like regular Sableye for a while, whereas regular Sableye cannot play like MSableye at any point; it's pretty much like Audino vs Mega Audino in NU if you're familiar with how that works.

ok im not disagreeing or agreeing with you, its just that IMO this example is horrible, i can see the scenario your're trying to create but this is just not a good example of that scenario, who would use stealth rock against a wobbuffet first turn over dragon tail which is arguably a staple on Tank Chomp which forces wobbu out without any back lash from wobbu. but something else i think people are not underestimating wobbuffet, but over-estimating its support capabilities; yes wobbu gives great support for sweepers against the "right" team but wobbu also needs a lot of team support it self, it needs hazard control, a cleric, a dark check (tho teams should have a dark check naturally), and is taunt fodder. i would be fine with wobbu rising to B- Rank, i just think people have been using "poor" arguments and have been over-hyping its capabilities against gothitelle's. when IMO they may both be trappers but these 2 do different things tbh, wobbuffet is sweep opportunity support, while gothitelle is used to cripple opposing walls/stall cores. like in gothitelle's analysis gothitelle and wobbuffet are opposites with their niche against teams, "gothitelle eliminates stall cores whilst wobbuffet beats offensive one's." - Gothitelle Smogon Analysis
I thought someone might bring up Dragon Tail. So Encore fails, you use Dragon Tail for minuscule damage, Wobb is sent out and replaced by whatever. You now choose to set up rocks as I switch back into Wobbuffet. Now if I use Encore and you select Dragon Tail, you're instead locked into Rocks because of DTail's negative priority. So yes, Dragon Tail is a reasonable option in that scenario if Garchomp hasn't actually chosen a move yet, but in practice it doesn't get you anywhere.

Anyway, predictably, I disagree that Wobbuffet needs significant team support. Some form of hazard control is mandatory on essentially every team, no? Moreover, why does Wobb in particular need it over any other mon? And Wobb definitely doesn't need a cleric (especially on the offensive teams on which he should reside). Paralysis doesn't matter a bit given his low speed, and since he's not staying on the field for long periods of time (rarely more than two turns), and assuming a lefties set, he's not taking much from Toxic or Burn either. Speaking from experience, it doesn't at all hinder Wobb from doing its job. I'll grant that a dark check is helpful, but that's not particularly restrictive as many make good partners for Wobb (bonus: if you pair it with Mega Diancie, you can encore Rocks or Spikes or a status move, bounce them back with a Diancie switch-in, then use Rock Polish or Calm Mind for free!)

Finally, I'd like to add that Wobb's unique ability to force the opponent into either losing their active mon or granting the opponent absolutely free set-up, often several times per match, is what makes him more valuable than a lot of people seem to believe.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Keep normal Sableye ranked. Dedicated status absorbers like Clefairy obviously cockblock it, but it can really annoy some offensive and defensive builds with its movepool and typing. Priority Burn is pretty sweet to shut down a bunch of offensive mons while priority Taunt can be pretty clutch to stop Rocks, setup, or just stallbreak. It's obviously really fucking flawed with its lack of resistances and less-than-stellar bulk, but I've seen and gone up against ones that still put in work.

Or maybe I just suck and don't know how to handle D-ranked trash.

Regardless I don't think it should be unranked.

Punchshroom

Keep normal Sableye ranked. Dedicated status absorbers like Clefairy obviously cockblock it, but it can really annoy some offensive and defensive builds with its movepool and typing. Priority Burn is pretty sweet to shut down a bunch of offensive mons while priority Taunt can be pretty clutch to stop Rocks, setup, or just stallbreak. It's obviously really fucking flawed with its lack of resistances and less-than-stellar bulk, but I've seen and gone up against ones that still put in work.

Regardless I don't think it should be unranked.
Mega Sableye always has the option of holding off on MEvolving and function like regular Sableye for a while, whereas regular Sableye cannot play like MSableye at any point
See the point is that carrying around a regular Sableye without access to its Mega Stone has much less benefits as opposed to just putting Sablenite on Sableye. You say that Sableye can annoy offensive and defensive builds, has priority Taunt to shut down Rocks or setup, and can stallbreak. Problem is that Mega Sableye functionally does pretty much all of those things just as well (don't start getting snippy with me on Prankster Taunt; you don't need that to stop Rocks and stallbreak plus, again, you can always not MEvolve immediately), if not better since its crazy bulk lets it make better use of Foul Play and mitigates the need for priority Recover (which happens to be offset by Sableye's meager defenses). So there's not only the issue that MSableye does what Sableye does better, but also whatever stops MSableye (Fairies, damaging status moves like Scald and Lava Plume) also stops regular Sableye. Tl;dr Sablenite Sableye can already do what regular Sableye does and has more options + versatility due to its access to Mega Evolution, basically totally eclipsing regular Sableye.

I think Sylveon, Conk, Rhyperior and Zapdos are fine where they are. Not much to say right now I think most has been said and don't feel like making a longer post unless someone asks me tonight .>.

Pangoro can drop. When a comparison argument or theorymon is used it makes it seem like it's this unstoppable monster that can break down defensive cores. Any legitimate niche it has isn't enough to put it on the level of arguably way better C- stuff regardless if they warrant a raise or not such as the Nidos and Forretress as two primary examples, even Cresselia whose defensive utility on TR is far more beneficial as a whole in the meta than using a Pangoro. Pangoro is arguably also worse than a lot of the D ranked mons such as Mienshao, Meloetta, Cloyster, and even Haxorus.

Don't really understand the logic in ever using Roserade, like D makes a bit of sense but not C-. Granted this is self proclaimed terrible logic but having 0 relevancy to provide anything is kind of offputting to say the least.

Landorus is gone, can we finally just drop Blissey now ._.

M-Glalie is hot but I don't personally care if gets placed in D or not. I know a bunch of people have made it work but we'll just get paragraphs about outclassed and other nonsense when shit like Mega Latios is still ranked lol so gonna avoid that discussion in the long run.
Sorry AM im going to have to disagree with you there in regards to Pangoro. I was experimenting with him yesterday and personally i think that people are looking at him all wrong. At first glance he looks like a nuker with good stab options and slow-ass base speed which is very true and certainly he is outclassed in this role.

But what about if you look at him as a bulky mold-breaker pivot? Im going to go and compare him to defensive Infernape here just one thats slightly different and maybe not as good but still very effective.

Using this set here:

Pangoro @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 Spe
Impish Nature
- Parting Shot
- Toxic / Gunk shot
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

You can outspeed base 80s who speed creep the 200 mark such as venu and so on and also all of the slower fairies such as azu/sylv/clef and get a badass parting shot on them for the pivot. Suddenly that CB azu or Specs Sylveon that EVERYONE and their mother sends out on pangoro is a lot less threatening without a) their item from the knock off on the switch and b) at -1 after a parting shot.

Parting shot really is great, like most people previously i sorta dismissed it as irrelevant, why have it when you can have swords dance and obliterate people but its actually genuinely amazing. He also has a great ability in mold breaker allowing for free toxics on everyone or if you like coverage to hit said fairies then Gunk shot is an option which will 2hko most/all fairies if you dont mind the miss %. Personally i prefer to have consistent damage on non-fairies and pivot out of fairies to something else that can set up on it like bulky M-Scizor which is a fantastic partner for pangoro.

I do have a couple of replays, their quality is not fantastic as i made this team yesterday and played it on my phone at work. But dont use these to judge pangoro, give him a try on a semi-stall team that wants a badass offensive pivot who gives you a lot of momentum that sometimes stall and semi-stall lack

At the very least its good enough for C-, a notch above the mons in D who pretty much have only 1 trick which is usually outclassed. At least pangoro has 2 tricks which are mostly outclassed :D

Poek

squadala
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Official Ladder Tournamentis a defending SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
See the point is that carrying around a regular Sableye without access to its Mega Stone has much less benefits as opposed to just putting Sablenite on Sableye. You say that Sableye can annoy offensive and defensive builds, has priority Taunt to shut down Rocks or setup, and can stallbreak. Problem is that Mega Sableye functionally does pretty much all of those things just as well (don't start getting snippy with me on Prankster Taunt; you don't need that to stop Rocks and stallbreak plus, again, you can always not MEvolve immediately), if not better since its crazy bulk lets it make better use of Foul Play and mitigates the need for priority Recover (which happens to be offset by Sableye's meager defenses). So there's not only the issue that MSableye does what Sableye does better, but also whatever stops MSableye (Fairies, damaging status moves like Scald and Lava Plume) also stops regular Sableye. Tl;dr Sablenite Sableye can already do what regular Sableye does and has more options + versatility due to its access to Mega Evolution, basically totally eclipsing regular Sableye.
That would be true if we didn't have like 34 megas to choose from. So what if Mega Sableye completely outclasses regular Sableye? you may want to build a Mega Manectric team for example, and you want something that kinda stallbreaks, annoy offense a little bit and check sand with priority will-o-wisp. You can't use Mega Sableye there, and although regular Sableye is a weird option to choose, it certainly is viable enough to get on the D rankings. This thing was already C+ before ORAS came out so it already dropped hard to D because of Mega Sableye outclassing it, and I think that's enough to show that it's kinda outclassed by its mega, but if you need it, it's always there. I believe someone made a really effective team showcasing regular Sableye and Mega Altaria, I don't remember who (derp), but it kinda shows that regular Sableye still has a niche in this metagame, and it shouldn't get unranked.

Punchshroom

That would be true if we didn't have like 34 megas to choose from. So what if Mega Sableye completely outclasses regular Sableye? you may want to build a Mega Manectric team for example, and you want something that kinda stallbreaks, annoy offense a little bit and check sand with priority will-o-wisp. You can't use Mega Sableye there, and although regular Sableye is a weird option to choose, it certainly is viable enough to get on the D rankings. This thing was already C+ before ORAS came out so it already dropped hard to D because of Mega Sableye outclassing it, and I think that's enough to show that it's kinda outclassed by its mega, but if you need it, it's always there. I believe someone made a really effective team showcasing regular Sableye and Mega Altaria, I don't remember who (derp), but it kinda shows that regular Sableye still has a niche in this metagame, and it shouldn't get unranked.
It's not just a matter of getting outclassed; regular Sableye doesn't really offer that much to the meta to begin with, especially with the increase in Fairies, burn absorbers (in a sense), and people preparing for Mega Sableye, which only makes things much harder for Sableye. You say that running Mega Sableye means that you cannot run other Megas, but the opportunity cost of saddling a Sableye that cannot Mega Evolve on your team is arguably just as huge because you're not running something that could contribute more. How many threats can Prankster Wisp actually hold off nowadays compared to just a bulkier Wisp, and can Sableye burn / stallbreak better than say, Mew or bulky Talonflame? Sableye's not even a good enough spinblocker to warrant use over those two since Starmie drowns Sableye with ease (especially with Analytic) whereas Excadrill can 2HKO max Def Sableye on the switch even if it gets burned before the second attack.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
lol, 'spinblocker'. Haven't heard that one in forever. Unless you're facing Spikestacking offense, what you're actually blocking is Defog. From Latios. That 'Pranskter WoW before Mega' strategy is normally only used for the M-evo turn and it's a waste if you see a Charizard or Clefable on the enemy team. It can't even annoy offense properly when all of S-rank is unhindered by it and it has only a few good match-ups in A-ranks.

I honestly don't even care where normal Sab is ranked, I just can't believe someone seriously used the term 'spinblocker'. When that role becomes relevant again, we're definitely not using Sableye for it.

Last edited:
talonflame has a terrible weakness to rocks, regular sableye can Taunt mew before it gets taunted, and in no way is it used as a spinblocker when there are only, like, two viable. regular sableye and mega sableye don't do the same thing, they don't fit on the same teams and shouldn't really be compared. keep sableye in D-rank, it does fit on certain offense teams that need an answer to stall plus the ability to beat mew and pursuit trappers.

Sorry AM im going to have to disagree with you there in regards to Pangoro. I was experimenting with him yesterday and personally i think that people are looking at him all wrong. At first glance he looks like a nuker with good stab options and slow-ass base speed which is very true and certainly he is outclassed in this role.

But what about if you look at him as a bulky mold-breaker pivot? Im going to go and compare him to defensive Infernape here just one thats slightly different and maybe not as good but still very effective.

Using this set here:

Pangoro @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 Spe
Impish Nature
- Parting Shot
- Toxic / Gunk shot
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

You can outspeed base 80s who speed creep the 200 mark such as venu and so on and also all of the slower fairies such as azu/sylv/clef and get a badass parting shot on them for the pivot. Suddenly that CB azu or Specs Sylveon that EVERYONE and their mother sends out on pangoro is a lot less threatening without a) their item from the knock off on the switch and b) at -1 after a parting shot.

Parting shot really is great, like most people previously i sorta dismissed it as irrelevant, why have it when you can have swords dance and obliterate people but its actually genuinely amazing. He also has a great ability in mold breaker allowing for free toxics on everyone or if you like coverage to hit said fairies then Gunk shot is an option which will 2hko most/all fairies if you dont mind the miss %. Personally i prefer to have consistent damage on non-fairies and pivot out of fairies to something else that can set up on it like bulky M-Scizor which is a fantastic partner for pangoro.

I do have a couple of replays, their quality is not fantastic as i made this team yesterday and played it on my phone at work. But dont use these to judge pangoro, give him a try on a semi-stall team that wants a badass offensive pivot who gives you a lot of momentum that sometimes stall and semi-stall lack

At the very least its good enough for C-, a notch above the mons in D who pretty much have only 1 trick which is usually outclassed. At least pangoro has 2 tricks which are mostly outclassed :D
I can vouch for this. I used this set back in January on a couple balance teams.
Bulky Pivot Panda
Pangoro @ Leftovers
EVs: 212 HP / 40 Atk / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot
- Toxic / Gunk Shot
Pangoro's 95/78/71 bulk doesn't look too special, but it's actually nice and allows it to take hits and function as a bulky pivot. On this set, Pangoro's goal is to take (mostly physical) hits, spread poison, Knock Off items, and weaken Pokemon to create setup opportunities and deal with certain sweepers in emergencies. 212 HP EVs reach a Leftovers number, 232 Def gets the jump from 273 to 275 Def and the 24 Speed EVs allow Pangoro to outspeed uninvested Tyranitar.

This Pangoro set works best with a cleric of sorts, whether it be a Wishpasser, a Heal Bell/Aromatherapy user or a Healing Wish user. It fits well onto VoltTurn teams as well as balance and bulky offensive teams. It really is a handy support Pokemon and does its job even better when it receives support itself.

I start using this soon after ORAS came out and have recently put it on a team with Healing Wish Latias, two U-turn users in Landoge and Mega Beedrill and Serperior and it's been performing nicely in its own little ways. Here is a replay where it does some work early game, allowing Serperior to sweep:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-202032764
Pangoro is not only a fearsome wallbreaker, but it's a solid bulky pivot which benefits from Weavile and Bisharp's viability in this meta and it soft checks some variants of Hoopa-U as well (mainly Scarf and SubPlot). Life Orb and Choice Band will always be difficult to switch into as well. Goro also stands out as one of the best non-mega wallbreakers for Trick Room.

I can't really see Pangoro dropping from C-, though I do see it on par with Emboar which is D rank (but should move up to C- imo because its Life Orb and SubPunch sets are both pretty decent in this meta, despite Emboar struggling with the increase in Garchomp usage; this isn't about Emboar though so I'll just stop here).

Last edited:
As a reply to the Wobb nom that I don't really feel like pulling up right now, I do agree but I wanna say that Garchomp often runs toxic in its 4th moveslot now and it can easily just sit there and toxic and laugh at you while you can't do anything back. Sure you can encore it and then what? Switch into MZor and wait for Chomp's encore to wear off and DTail you? Or switch into Clef and get a CM/Moonblast off as they switch into their clef check?

Apart from the matchup vs. Chomp, I think that Wobb does a great job beating many offensive teams or mons that like to run AoA sets like Goodra. I think that the offensive shift is more in its favor as nothing can OHKO it and very few mons are able to beat it 1v1 barring hacks (namely Hydreigon or Doublade). I almost always feel like this justifies a teamslot just as much if not more than Goth, and is always nice to have on your team. As such I would like to see it rise or see Goth fall and possibly a Dugtrio rise as well just cuz trapping Heatran and Ttar is always nice.

I dont really agree with that pangoro set. The only set thats really worked for pangoro has been the banded set and honetly pangoro is only good at that in ou. His best role is being a wallbreaker and a bulky pivot set seems really ilogical. A bulky pivot set honestly takes away one of his bigests niches in hitting hard+hitting everything. Running drain punch kinda takes away from that as well as running toxic. Anyways i would have to agree with wob rising. Its such a huge pain for offense due to how it traps you and then removes the mon while also having encore to cripple stuff giving a teamates a sweeping opportunity.

Also custap D-bond is annoying and REALLY effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)