CaP 20 Pre-Evo - Part 6 -Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Time to get these bad boys named!

Here is the winning artwork by our resident super artist; Quanyails

Stage 1:

Stage 2:

Please be patient and please read all the rules before submitting a name, people can be disqualified for silly reasons and I don't want that :(

Rules

Legal name submissions must meet the following standards
  • Names must start with a capital letter.
  • Names cannot be longer than 10 letters.
  • Names can only contain the following characters:
    • Letters A-Z
    • Numbers 1-9
    • Dash (-)
    • Apostrophe (')
    • Period (.)
    • Space
  • No more than two capital letters can be included in the name, and capital letters cannot be consecutive.
  • A maximum of two non-letters can be included in the name, and a maximum of one non-letter of each type can be included (ie. You can't have two numbers, or two apostrophes, but you could have one number and one apostrophe)

Work In Progress (WIP) Names can be posted at any time for comments from the community.

No more than three WIP Names can be posted by any individual person through the entire course of the submission thread. This limit applies to ALL posts made by a single person, even if previous posts are edited or deleted. This limit is intended to curb the tendency for some submitters to spam the thread repeatedly with lists of Names. This detracts from other submissions and makes it difficult for commenters to survey the submission thread.

Do not bump your WIP names by posting them repeatedly, or making minor spelling changes of a letter or two. Bumping will result in the disqualification of all names by the offender. Editing or deleting bump posts will not prevent disqualification.

Only ONE Final Submission can be made per person and only after Final Submissions are open.

Name Final Submissions can only be posted after a CAP Moderator or Leader posts in the thread that final submissions are open. Any final submission posted prior to the Moderator notification post, will disqualify the submitter from the poll entirely. Even if the offending post is edited later or deleted, the submitter will still be disqualified for the remainder of the thread. This ensures that all submitters have equal opportunity to post final submissions without anyone unfairly "jumping the gun".

Final submissions must provide one sentence (25 words maximum) explaining the etymology of the name.

Final submissions must provide a common English pronunciation. The common pronunciation can be made in whatever format you feel best conveys the pronunciation to most English speakers.

Do not post a profane name. Do not imply profanity with your name. This includes swear words, racial/ethnic/any-group-of-people slurs, and anything that doesn't belong in a game rated E for Everyone. If a six-year-old would be offended by your name, it's time to think of a different name.

Name Final Submissions must be posted exactly in the following format and in the following exact order:
  • The first line of the post must have the words "Final Submission" in bold on its own line. No other text may be included before the bold heading.
  • A blank line
  • The Name submission in bold.
  • A blank line
  • A one line description of the etymology of the name or why it is appropriate for our Pokemon.
  • A blank line
  • "Pronounced: <common English pronunciation>"
Below the Final Submission you can post other comments, explanations, etc.

Example final submission:

Final Submission

Syclant

A combination of "Icicle" + "Ant".

Pronounced: "SICKLE-ant"

This name was originally submitted by Lawman on the very first CAP project. I think it's a great name, even though almost everyone mispronounces it!
If you wish to include IPA in your submission you can underneath.

Any Final Submission that does not follow the proper format will be disqualified.
If you are going to comment on someone elses name, please elaborate on a point when you comment. "I like this name" is not helpful and will be subject to moderation. Give us reasons why you like it and support it. Go forth and name! This thread will be open for 48 hours and then an additional 24 hours for submissions

Our prevos So Far:

Prevo 1
Typing: Water
Abilities: Water Veil / Heatproof / Swift Swim
Stats: 48 HP / 70 Atk / 40 Def / 70 SpA / 30 SpD / 77 Spe
Movepool: CaP 20 Pre-Evo - Part 5 - Move Pool Submissions

Prevo 2
Typing: Water/Steel
Abilities: Water Veil / Heatproof / Light Metal
Stats: 73 HP / 85 Atk / 65 Def / 80 SpA / 40 SpD / 87 Spe
Movepool: CaP 20 Pre-Evo - Part 5 - Move Pool Submissions

Here I go for once, since I thought these were clever enough.

Navypod

"Navy" + "pod," a population of dolphins, even though this is a plesiosaur.

Pronounced: NEIGH-vee-pod

Navigatr

"Navigator" + "alligator". Self-explanatory.

Pronounced: NAH-vee-gator

Last edited:
Basic form:

Babuoy

"Baby" + "Buoy", like an ocean floatie marker.

Pronounced: ˈbeɪ-'bu-Ē
(I'm thinking like, the most syrupy way you can pronounce the word "baby". A widdle baybweeeee.)

Stage 1:

I actually like Navigatr. A lot. So, I would like to upvote that.

WIP

Floatoy

A blend of the words "Float + Toy"

Pronounced: "Floh - Toy"

An inner tube, which is what our first pre-evo is based off, not only floats but is often referred to as a float. A toy can be used as an adjective to refer to something small.

Caimanoe

The combination of "Caiman" and "Canoe"

Pronounced : "Cay - Man - Nu"

A caiman is a relative of crocodiles and alligators, while canoe is what the second pre-evo is fashioned as.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Names can be 11 characters now, DHR-107

my WIP names:

Navvie and Navolescent

Navvie is just to get the nice Nav start and kind of play on the word naive and sounds generally baby-like
Navolescent is obviously a portmanteau of navy and adolescent

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Navigatr

"Navigator" + "alligator". Self-explanatory.

Pronounced: NA-vi-gay-tur
Is there a good reason for it to end in gatr instead of gator? Feraligatr ran into issues with name length, but your name doesn't have that problem...

Mowtom Navigatr's name was intended to sound like Feraligatr in a sense; "navigator" is already an existing word in the English language as well.

SwedishBiscuit I really like Floatoy for the basic stage because he (or she?) highly resembles a bathtoy that floats. It's exactly what it says on the tin.

Quanyails I'll consider that because Navygator doesn't have the "existing word" problem, and I believe this is a Kalos Pokemon, so it doesn't matter.

Yveltal That actually helps a lot! I'll look into it.

-----

DHR-107 I don't mean to summon you, but it's been four days at the time of editing this post. What happened to the Final Submissions?

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't go with 'Navigatr' because the original corruption was based on name length restrictions, which your name lacks. I would choose another corruption, or, perhaps, save the intended dual meaning for the species name. I'm thinking Navygator if we want to take the former route.

I'm currently thinking of Floatilla ('float' + 'flotilla') for Stage One, or maybe Bubbloat ('bubble' + 'float' + 'boat' + 'bloat'?).

Re: Yveltal: Your response confuses me. Which name are you saying you support? The first of your sentences sounds like opposition to 'Navygator', but the second sounds like support. I pronounce the 'y' in 'Navygator' as 'i' and the 'y' in 'Navigatr' as 'ɪ'. For the raw word 'navigator', I understand the word whether the second vowel is pronounced with 'i', 'ɪ', or 'ə', so there's no loss of pun from altering the vowel. Besides, puns can be plays on words, not necessarily homophones.

Last edited:
The thing about Navigatr is, Navigater just looks bad, and the pun gets kind of lost when you try Navygator, or any other corruptions of that. If you can find a way to over-pronounce the "ee" sound that the "i" makes in Navigatr, it might come across a bit more distinctly.

NAH-VEE-gator, instead of NAH-vih-gay-tur.

Unsee

so smart me, enjoy book so much
is an Artist
I'm thinking something like Cherubdis (a combination of Charybdis, a sea monster from the Odyssey; and a cherub cuz the 1st evo is hella cute) and Jormungatr (a smash-up of Jörmungandr, another mythical sea monster; and one of them alligators - it's Feraligatr-esque for the sake of 10 letters).
Seeing as Naviathan was based upon a sea monster, I saw no reason why its predecessors shouldn't be!

Last edited:
WIP

FLOATSIE
"Floater" a floatie + "SIE" from "Nessie" a nickname for Lochness monster
Pronounced: (FLOWT-SEE)

FERRIZILLA
"FERRY" a medium sized ship + "ZILLA" meaning monster
Pronounced: (FE-RI-ZEE-LIYA)

Last edited:
WIP
Basic form:

Snorkeel

"Snorkel"(A breathing pipe, to be used underwater) + "Keel"(A part of a boat)

Pronounced: SNAUR-kEEl

Stage 1:

Ferroseaus

"Ferrous"+"Sea"+"Ferocius"

Pronounced: Fer-OH-seeyus

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Flotscand - Floatsam + Scandinavian. Floatsam is wreckage that floats. The first stage is also a floaty.

Jetscand - Jetsam + Scandinavian. Jetsam is items deliberately thrown overboard to lighten loads.

I used both in the context that Scandinavy's foghorn indicates the start of a major battle, so naturally wreckage of lost ships would be involved.

Re: Yveltal: Your response confuses me. Which name are you saying you support? The first of your sentences sounds like opposition to 'Navygator', but the second sounds like support. I pronounce the 'y' in 'Navygator' as 'i' and the 'y' in 'Navigatr' as 'ɪ'. For the raw word 'navigator', I understand the word whether the second vowel is pronounced with 'i', 'ɪ', or 'ə', so there's no loss of pun from altering the vowel. Besides, puns can be plays on words, not necessarily homophones.
What I'm saying is, Navygator to me is broken down to "Navy", like the military branch, and "gator". You lose the mix of afflictions I suggested that would make the name unique with that kind of spelling.

So, if there's a way to put a spin on it, like "Naveegator" that forces an open-mouth "a" and a long "ee" (NAH-VEE-gay-tur, like if Navi from LoZ were a swamp denizen), but looks prettier, that's what I'm trying to suggest.

WIP

Canavy

"Canoe" + "Navy", or alternatively "Cayman" + "Navy"

Drakkator
"Drakkar" + "Alligator". Drakkar is the name of the classic viking or otherwise Norse longship.

Final Submission

Navypod

"Navy" + "Pod," as in a population of dolphins.

Pronounced: NEIGH-vee-pod

Navigatr

"Navigator" + Alligator". Self-explanatory.

Pronounced: NAH-vih-gator

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Navvie

A baby-talk sounding corruption of navy and naive.

Pronounced: "NAV-ee"

Navolescent

A combination of navy and adolescent

Pronounced: "NAV-uh-LESS-ent

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Bubbloat

"bubble" + "float" + "boat"

Pronounced: "BUH-bloat"
IPA: bʌbloʊt

I decided on this name as I figure 'Floatilla' may be interpreted with four syllables.

Navygator

"navy" + "navigator" + "alligator"

Pronounced: "NAY-vee-gay-tor"
IPA: neɪvigeɪtər

Comments:
  • Yveltal: The problem is the first vowel sound, isn't it? There's a 'eɪ' sound rather than an 'æ'. Navagator? To me, it'd be interpreted with the 'æ' vowel even if I claim the portmanteau stems from 'naval'.
  • The Unseen Potato: I like your justification and choice of root words being sea monsters--especially how 'gatr' makes sense from Jormungandr! :)

Last edited:
Final Submission

Babuoy

"Baby" + "Buoy" (like an ocean floatie marker).

Pronounced: bay-bwEE
IPA: ˈbeɪ-'bu-Ē

Alliboard

"Alligator" + "board", a play-on of the phrase "all aboard"

Pronounced: Al-lih-bored
IPA: æl ɪ bɔrd

(Stop me if I messed any of this up)

Last edited:
Final Submission

Floatoy

A blend of the words "Float" (what inner tubes are known as by name and action), and "Toy" (and adjective for something small)

Pronounced: "Floh-Toy"

Caimanoe

A combination of "Caiman" (a relative of crocodiles and alligators), and "Canoe" (what the second pre-evolution is fashioned as)

Pronounced : "Cay-Mah-Nu"

Final Submission

Yofloe

Young + Float + "Yo ho" (pirate expression), in accordance with the naval theme

Pronounced: YO-FLO

Canoars

Canoe + No oars, as the paddle-esque fins become limbs + Norse, a culture often associated with Vikings

Pronounced: kuh-NOORZ

Final Submission

Snorkeel

"Snorkel" + "Keel"

Pronounced: SNAUR-kEEl

Ferroseaus

"Ferrous"+"Sea"+ "Ferocious"

Pronounced: Fer-OH-seeyus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)