2015/16 Football/Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did Ings move to Liverpool...? This is what I don't get and it happened with Lambert last season: why do Liverpool sign players they obviously have no intention of ever playing? Instead of signing Ings, they could have just promoted a youth team striker to sit on the bench and saved a lot of money.

I actually kinda wanna see Pogba at Chelsea. That would make them an unbelievably strong side. I don't think it'll happen though but imagine Matic, Pogba and Fabregas in midfield!

KdB confirmed for Man City, Navas can go back to the bench.

If we don't win the title this season I think Wenger will get rid of Giroud, or at least sign a striker. But it'll be a season too late imo because he should go all out for one right now. But I don't see it happening, he has too much faith in his system and Giroud. I would love to see Sanchez up front with Ox on the wing.

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I actually kinda wanna see Pogba at Chelsea. That would make them an unbelievably strong side. I don't think it'll happen though but imagine Matic, Pogba and Fabregas in midfield!

KdB confirmed for Man City, Navas can go back to the bench.

If we don't win the title this season I think Wenger will get rid of Giroud, or at least sign a striker. But it'll be a season too late imo because he should go all out for one right now. But I don't see it happening, he has too much faith in his system and Giroud. I would love to see Sanchez up front with Ox on the wing.

As long Arsenal keeps playing like this, it doesn't matter who they sign. If you arrange Messi, Cristiano, Robben, and Neymar on the pitch like this you will also still suck.

PL: ManU, Chelsea, ManC, Arsenal, Liverpool
Bundesliga: Bayern, Dortmund, Wolfsburg, Schalke, Leverkusen
Premiera Division: Barca, RM, Athletico, Valencia, Sevilla
CL: hard to predict that but I hope Bayern wins

Group A:
Paris SG
RM

Schachtar
Malmö FF

Group B:
Eindhoven
ManU
ZSKA Moskau
Wolfsburg

Group C:
Benfica
Athletico

Galatasaray
Astana

Group D:
Juventus
ManC

Sevilla
Gladbach

Group E:
Barcelona
Leverkusen

AS Rom
Bate

Group F:
Bayern
Arsenal

Piräus
Zagreb

Group G:
Chelsea
Porto

Kiew
Tel Aviv

Group H:
Zenit
Valencia

Lyon
Gent

Last edited:

ss234

bop.
Group A: Paris St-Germain, Real Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, Malmo - pretty straight forward here, Real just have more quality and depth than PSG while Shakhtar and Malmo are average compared to the other two.

Group B: PSV Eindhoven, Manchester United, CSKA Moscow, Wolfsburg - United are the strongest side here an I think Wolfsburg are pretty strong even without KDB.

Group C: Benfica, Atletico Madrid, Galatasaray, Astana - Atletico should reach top 8 / semi-finals this season. Jackson Martinez is a fine addition imo and will really help but defensively they are still the best side in Europe. Gala seem stronger than Benfica but both could make it through.

Group D: Juventus, Manchester City, Sevilla, Borussia Monchengladbach - toughest group and inevitably it contains City. I expect them to make at least quarterfinals this season, anything less is a joke after a 150million spending spree. Juventus are still strong despite losing key players and Sevilla are a good side too but Juve's experience gives them the edge.

Group E: Barcelona, Bayer Leverkusen, Roma, BATE Borisov - Barca obv favourites for this group. Not really sure about second place, both Roma and Leverkusen are good sides but Roma are the strongest on paper.

Group F: Bayern Munich, Arsenal, Olympiakos, Dinamo Zagreb - Top 2 should be Bayern then Arsenal. I don't really see Arsenal losing to Dinamo or Olympiakos but Bayern are much stronger than them.

Group G: Chelsea, Porto, Dynamo Kiev, Maccabi Tel-Aviv - p straight forward, Chelsea look hungry for CL success and have the squad to reach at least semi-finals. Porto are p decent too altho did lose some good players.

Group H: Zenit Saint Petersburg, Valencia, Lyon, Gent - I liked Valencia last season in La Liga and they did well against the big sides. Valbuena + Lacazette + Fekir sounds like a pretty strong front three for Lyon so I went with them for second, I don't think either them or Zenit have particularly good squads.

Last edited:
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Juve crash out at the group stage. Losing Tevez and Vidal (Pirlo too, to a lesser extent) might be too much for them this season. People are sleeping on Sevilla... but they truly are a great team, and they have gotten some good players in the transfer market (Llorente scoring on Juve would be great).

Man City 1st, Sevilla and Juve will fight it out for 2nd. And I know it sounds like I'm hating on Juve too much, but even if they DO make it out of the group stage I don't see them making much noise in the KO phases.. They are a very different team from last year

Gladbach isn't that bad too. They're not playing that well this season yet but there team is better than Sevialla's on paper and they have a great coach so I think they have a small chance to come out of this group as 2nd spot too.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Glad I missed the game due to work, judging from the posts on Facebook and the scoreline, of course, I probably would've ended up gouging my eyes out with a hot spoon.

This season is almost a carbon copy of last season, except it's Man City being consistent and the rest just flailing around. At least we have deadline day to look forward to!

Transfer deadline day.. United offload Evans and tell Hernandez he can leave (:() meaning much hype and excitement about who will replace them...
and its like Arsenal and no one comes.
still at least Chelsea are enjoyable... keep this up and you can win the championship next year ;)

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
i dont think anyone is surprised by City's start, the question is if they can maintain it till the end of the season. Mourinho is willing to gamble that he can makeup the points later, especially if City try and pursue the champions league. In 2011 season, Chelsea had just won the league and stormed to like 26 out of the first 30 points or something like that, and still finished 2nd (iirc?, or did city finish 2nd somehow? idr) when Man U made up the ground in January, and that same year Man U went to the CL final. Basically, starting fast doesn't always work in the league. Mourinho is not trying to force a thundering start to the campaign, but will focus on winning the games against the big clubs. Every team struggles after winning the league because winning draws tactical scrutiny, so it may be more difficult for chelsea against the smaller clubs this time around, but Mourinho is still probably the most tactically consistent manager at getting a result against other top teams. That being said, Chelsea badly need to strengthen their defense if they are going to defend their domestic title and pursue CL as well. also btw I am lucking all yall at fantasy rn despite averaging a goal/clean sheet wasted on the bench/week.

Last edited:
i dont think anyone is surprised by City's start, the question is if they can maintain it till the end of the season. Mourinho is willing to gamble that he can makeup the points later, especially if City try and pursue the champions league. In 2011 season, Chelsea had just won the league and stormed to like 26 out of the first 30 points or something like that, and still finished 2nd (iirc?, or did city finish 2nd somehow? idr) when Man U made up the ground in January, and that same year Man U went to the CL final. Basically, starting fast doesn't always work in the league. Mourinho is not trying to force a thundering start to the campaign, but will focus on winning the games against the big clubs. Every team struggles after winning the league because winning draws tactical scrutiny, so it may be more difficult for chelsea against the smaller clubs this time around, but Mourinho is still probably the most tactically consistent manager at getting a result against other top teams. That being said, Chelsea badly need to strengthen their defense if they are going to defend their domestic title and pursue CL as well. also btw I am lucking all yall at fantasy rn despite averaging a goal/clean sheet wasted on the bench/week.
you know that last year, chelsea managed two draws against city and had a brilliant start to the campaign right? So far they have upgraded their wings but without someone in the midfield to pair with matic and something to boost their defense, they dont look like title contenders at all

It's amazing how no one in the squad besides like..Sanchez if he's close enough, or Ox, is willing to shoot the fucking ball. You can be selfish at times..it's okay.. Be dynamic..put pressure on the defenders..
So tired of us having "the best midfield and attacking unit in the league" yet we don't do anything and watch other teams on the weekend make a few clever passes and have great looks on goal. Really irks me. But it could be worse.. after watching all the other squads.

But instead of growing and taking the next step towards dominating and winning the league.. As other clubs and going up and down.. we are still hovering and being complacent in our position and how we are viewed as a club.

People say we need a striker to score more goals for us. But that's really not all of it. Sure it'll help since Walcott misses sitters and although Giroud gets in good positions, he's a donkey. But we need that slasher, the player (like the way Messi acts) that goes into the heart and causes confusion and makes things happen.

You can only pass the ball around the 18yd box for so long... Sure Newcastle were a brick wall all day, but you need to be fucking clever with once again "the most dynamic offensive" to truly dominate.

We are so slow.

Oh, and Chambers is shit, and we need another CB once again.

See you in a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)