Aerodactyl

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am almost done with pursuit set work on rest soon
[OVERVIEW]

Generalize what the Pokemon does in the metagame and as a whole and why you should or shouldn't consider using it on your teams.

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 1: Stone Edge
move 2: Aerial Ace
move 3: Aqua Tail
move 4: Fire Fang / Taunt
item: Aerodactylite
ability: Unnerve
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• stone edge hits hard and is main stab. kills birds
  • aerial ace is secondary stab that hits lots of mons super effectively like Keldeo, serperior, mega venu
  • Aqua tail hits hippo and grounds specifically
  • fire fang hits zor and Ferrothorn.
  • taunt is option since it stops defensive mons from setting up rocks and more importantly healing which turns passive checks like Chansey into complete bait. also screws with mew and other stallbreakers

Set Details
========

• not much. Max max+

Usage Tips
========

• should be used as a revenge killer and late game sweeper.you can bring it in early to wear down its passive checks like rotom-w and Hippowdon with correct prediction. it can taunt a lot of these passive checks so it can function as a situational Stallbreaker if your forego fire fang
  • only attempt a sweep against offense late game so everything is in kill range. It is not as strong as expected tbh
  • use it to RK a threat like Keldeo if a mon of your dies
  • it can switchin on fire types and flyings but only twice max, once preferably because this set lacks roost

Team Options
========
  • Magnezone is perfect teammate. it traps steels and clears a spot for taunt.

[SET]
name: Pursuit Trapper
move 1: Pursuit
move 2: Aerial Ace / Stone Edge
move 3: Aqua Tail / Fire Fang
move 4: Roost
item: Aerodactylite
ability: Unnerve
nature: Jolly
evs: 168 HP / 124 Atk / 216 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• m-aero is a very good pursuit trapper due to its speed in combination with its typing. gengar, starmie, lati@s, victini, and alakazam will think its safe to switch thinking your offensive attacker but then find themselves to be removed by pursuit.
  • mega aerodactyl also has a huge niche because it can switch-in and pursuit trap tornadus-t when it is in range (~47% to LO and ~40% to AV). it can also switch-in and pursuit trap offensive talonflame doing around half. other 'mons it does a number too is volcarona (~54% and not to mention takes on its stab and can ko back with ace if its boosted), megazardy (~46%), and non-thunder wave thundurus (~53%)
  • aerial ace + aqua tail has the best coverage and threaten a signifigant part of the metagame. stone edge + fire fang can be used if talonflame is particularly threatening to your team and stone edge hits harder v. bulky waters. also if you reveal you don't have stone edge, life orb tornadus-t won't switch and will stay in. another draw of stone edge fire fang is you hit ferrothorn and scizor which can switch-in and can get hazards in the former's instance. aerial ace + aqua tail generally is more threatening towards offensive teams usually making it the better option.
  • roost is used because it gets lots of oppurtunities to heal with its typing and bulk.
Set Details
========

• 216 spe and jolly is used to outpace everything up to mega bee and mega scept. 252 spe can be used to tie with megazam but usually it switches because it knows it wont ko allowing you to use pursuit. megazam does around 60 to this set.
  • 128 atk kos serperior with AA after stealth rock damage. the rest are dumped into hp to give m-aero good bulk in tandem of its typing. a more offensive spread is an option as well: 128 hp / 244 atk / 136 spe + jolly. it reaches the jump point in speed simultaneously outpacing lop. the evs for hp and atk can be inverted for this instance to get a bulkier spread.

Usage Tips
========

• use as pursuit trapper. it has good bulk so it can switch in on things like zam, heatran, torn-t, and zardy choosing either to roost up or trap.
  • use to revenge kill things like keldeo, serp, and lop. you can use these oppurtunities to roost up as well.
  • still poses threat to offensive teams but not nearly as much due to lost of coverage and stone edge.

Team Options
========

• lures to steel-types such as watmel azumarill and hp fire manaphy are greatly appreciated.
  • magnezone can be used to trap its checks and counter. also forms double trap core.
  • hazard removal is needed as it keeps m-aero effective and lets it switch-in to things. latis are cool especially considering they can switch-in to bulky waters. starmie is also a cool spinner.
  • rotom-w is great teammate considering it can switch-in to waters and chomp while gaining momentum.
  • celebi can gain momentum and switch into aero's checks and counters.
  • list of 'mons that appreciate pursuit from aero: serperior, keldeo, kyurem-b and manaphy (faster threats removed so they can wreck havoc), alakazam, volcarona, and np (or support) celebi.
  • speaking of bulky grass types in celebi, amoonguss is a beautiful partner that shares excellent synergy with m-aero and can spore threats.
  • tyranitar and hippowdon set up sand to boost m-aero's special defense making it both a defensive and offensive threat. be careful of compounding weaknesses. band and scarf tar shouldnt be used because aero's role overlaps but defensive clears up a moveslot and has ice beam to lure chomp and can set up rocks.
  • heatran is cool because it takes on latis. power herb solarbeam also clears a path for aero.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

List some options for the Pokemon user that are plausible but not always recommended due to either being not consistent enough or too outclassed by other Pokemon in the metagame.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Insert Threat Here**: Describe why the Pokemon is a threat.

1st-5th Gen changes:

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] -> [ADDITIONAL SET COMMENTS]

[Other Options] ->
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============

Checks and Counters
============

Last edited:
Why Unnerve? Pressure lets you waste sucker punch at least. M-Aero evolves asap anyway so it's not like its gonna stop berries on the switch

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Unnerve prevents Cutsap Berry from being used and stops SubSitrus users like Hawlucha.

Even if it's extremely situational, it at least has a use over its other abilities.
How does pressure have no use?

I guess what I'm asking is - how does the general potential usability of pressure not at least make it an option over the very niche and situational use of unnerve?

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How does pressure have no use?

I guess what I'm asking is - how does the general potential usability of pressure not at least make it an option over the very niche and situational use of unnerve?
if unnerve is situational, then pressure is only more situational. pressure's only use is stalling out 8 pp moves, and that's not something that aerodactyl will be doing any time soon.

Regarding the attacker aerodactyl, I think you should mention Ice Fang as an option to hit Lando-T harder as well as garchomp which is incredibly high in usage recently. I've also tested Hone Claws > Fire Fang/Taunt to be viable. Aerodactyl honestly can fit a lot of options in the last slot of the offensive attacker. For OO, I've personally been testing 3 Atk Tailwind Aero which can be pretty good since aero is a little weak but can get off fast tailwinds as a suicide for strong wallbreakers to abuse (I was using LO > Mega Stone since i had it with medicham/heracross). This is, however, pretty niche but i've found it to be overall effective so worth a mention in OO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)