Serious Violence Planned at 2015 Worlds Boston (Pokemon) UPDATE if anyone cares

So apparently these two fuckwads planned to go into the Pokemon World Championship with high-powered rifles and 250 rounds of ammunition. Thankfully they were stupid enough to threaten the violence on Facebook and police recovered the weapons and ammo from the car parked just a few blocks down the road.

Was anyone at worlds this year and heard about this? It'd be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Original story: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/08/23/boston-pokemon.html

Imgur post I got the info from: https://imgur.com/gallery/fA199Wy

Last edited by a moderator:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I'm so glad that everyone's safe.
But I wasn't surprised that world events get targeted by criminals.

Well done to the police, though, being able to stop it before anything happens.

Do we even know what their motives were? From what I can tell they just decided it'd be fun to bring a bunch of guns to worlds and presumably get trigger happy, which is obviously not at all realistic.

If they're reason they did it was just because they thought it would be fun then they are literally psychopaths.

Why censor names and images of people that are confirmed to have committed a crime? This isn't speculation...

We're not a media outlet though nor is the OP spreading this for hits. The Charlie Brooker argument doesn't really apply here.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I noticed there was a ridiculous amount of security. A ton more than last year. They were checking everyones bags coming in and security seemed on edge. Charmander was also stopped and they thoroughly went through his bag. I'm talking read the ingredients on his toothpaste level of thorough. I found the whole thing very odd and at the time I just thought the extra security was a pain in the ass. Made it hard to sneak vodka in.

I'm glad everyone is safe.
The thing is I don't understand why (I'm probably not going to understand it anyway because if you seriously plan shooting at somebody - worse, shooting to everyone in a community - then you're obviously crazy). We all here like Pokémon but let's be honest we all know it is just a game. Why this violence for something it is not even happening irl? This hate to the game, the community or the masses; or this love for the non-sense violence; it is (hopefully) not normal, there's more than likely a phycological problem involved.
EDIT: Read this.
http://heavy.com/news/2015/08/james...violence-massacre-kill-charges-mugshot-court/

Last edited:
But to be honest its just crazy.... apparently they qualified for masters division and like... you gonna 'hurt' people over pokemon?

I'm just glad they were caught before they got in there with those firearms. I'd hate to think what would've happened if they managed to get in with those firearms.

How many Smogon members attended the event?

I just wish violence around the world would stop, i remember back in the 2000's (Pokemon 2000's yeahhhh who remembers that!) there was hardly anything going on (or is that just me?) anyways yeah. I wish people had more consideration for the value of human life to be honest.

The problem is how we solve our problems, humans just instantly result to violence, Just like these two who were both in Masters division and were jealous or something that they wanted to eliminate (permanently) the competition. I just hope they get a psychologist evaluation...
Pokemon is not evil, and if someone in the news also wants to snub out Pokemon over this incident, that shouldn't be right.

Ps: Child or not, 2000's were pretty good year, we didn't worry too much, talking to my parents saying they didn't even use to lock doors in our country until 1990's era. Something has gone astray in our society to be honest.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The problem is how we solve our problems, humans just instantly result to violence, Just like these two who were both in Masters division and were jealous or something that they wanted to eliminate (permanently) the competition. I just hope they get a psychologist evaluation...
Pokemon is not evil, and if someone in the news also wants to snub out Pokemon over this incident, that shouldn't be right.

Ps: Child or not, 2000's were pretty good year, we didn't worry too much, talking to my parents saying they didn't even use to lock doors in our country until 1990's era. Something has gone astray in our society to be honest.
Indeed, the 2000s were very secure.

Wait, never mind, just remembered this.

Indeed, the 2000s were very secure.

Wait, never mind, just remembered this.
Why would you even bring that up? I'm not even talking about those things.... haha? umm thats kind of offensive as well. you should consider how devastating this attack was on the world and really don't bring that up here. Also big difference was that this was a potential shooting not a mass scale terrorist attack. I was talking about the 2000's specifically as-well, like pre-2000's. (not like a said 2000's onwards, cause from 2000's onwards things escalated)

Anyway post is out of context, should stick to topic lol.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Why would you even bring that up? I'm not even talking about those things.... haha? umm thats kind of offensive as well. you should consider how devastating this attack was on the world and really don't bring that up here. Also big difference was that this was a potential shooting not a mass scale terrorist attack. I was talking about the 2000's specifically as-well, like pre-2000's. (not like a said 2000's onwards, cause from 2000's onwards things escalated)

Anyway post is out of context, should stick to topic lol.
Terrorism didn't escalate from 2001 onwards; it has been an issue for several years.

Also, there's a thin line between what is defined as a mass shooting and a terrorist incident. Considering worlds is (obviously) attended by people from all across the globe, the incident could've very well been treated as a terrorist attack if the shooting went off.

Last edited:
To be fair, there's probably some untold number of players who do legally carry firearms in their cars.

But yeah, these two were definitely stupid in posting and making it sound like they were planning something, regardless if it was in a joking manner or not, especially considering it's in Boston. It is good they got arrested and nothing further happened.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)