ORAS OU The Ancient and the Legends (Mega Aerodactyl RMT) (updated and climbing fast)

Aerodactyl. One of my favorites when I first started playing back in 2000 or so. I went back and forth on whether or not to use his mega in a team, but he's a freakin dinosaur, so I had to. I'd like to see what you guys think of this team, and any feedback is more than welcome.

Aerodactyl (M) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure>Tough Claws
Nature: Jolly
EV: 248 Atk / 44 Def / 216 Spe

Stone Edge
Aerial Ace
Earthquake
Roost

Mega Aerodactyl is dino-mite. This Tyrannosaurus wrecks. Booooo... Haha, but really. Stone Edge to stomp Talonflame and Mega Pinsir. Aerial Ace for STAB and to take care of bulky fighting types like Conkeldurr that this team otherwise has no real answer for. Earthquake has proven to be more effective than Aqua Tail for coverage, and it of course blends well with Aerodactyl's STAB Stone Edge. 44 Defense EVs given for some bulk.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Bold
EV: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
IV: 0 Atk

Giga Drain
Recover
Baton Pass
Stealth Rock

Another nostalgic Pokemon. Also the one I wanted the most when I was growing up, because it was impossible to get. Giga Drain for STAB and some longevity, and to help against any Quagsire, Gastrodon, or Mega Swampert that comes out to play. Has also helped big time in stand offs with Slowbro. Recover for more longevity when Giga Drain doesn't cut it. I'll normally lead with Celebi and set up rocks right away if the opposing team doesn't have an obvious check. But if their team clearly plans to start with a Ferrothorn, Chesnaught, or Klefki, I'll toast em with Heatran's Magma Storm. Onto her set...

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Timid
EV: 92 HP / 216 SpA / 200 Spe
IV: 0 Atk

Magma Storm
Earth Power
Taunt
Toxic

Heatran is quickly becoming a big favorite of mine. She's bulky enough to withstand most hits that aren't named Earthquake, and can check most top-tier threats while setting up motion for the rest of the team. Magma Storm to lay into opposing Ferrothorn, Scizor, Mega-Metagross, Chesnaught, etc. It's such a cool move. Earth Power for coverage and any potential drop in Special Defense on the other side. Taunt to block setups, which would work a lot better if I was actually talented at predicting when Mega Charizard X would come to battle. Toxic to help break set up Pokemon and wear down Roost and Soft-boiled Pokemon like Eviolite Chansey, which I can't stand.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EV: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Hydro Pump
Secret Sword
Scald
HP - Bug

Choice Specs Keldeo for wall breaking and punching holes. Pure and simple. Pretty typical setup: Hydro Pump for power, Secret Sword for STAB and because this team needs some extra physical presence, Scald as the main offensive move, and HP - Bug to take out big psychic types (come at me, Hoopa). This set has been working out really well with the rest of the team.

Scizor (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
EV: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD

Bullet Punch
U-turn
Defog
Knock Off

This spot originally belonged to Defog Latios, but after consideration, I've decided to bench him and make Scizor a starting player. The switch made sense, seeing as how the team already has plenty of fire resistance, and its synergy with Heatran's Flash Fire was too perfect to pass. Bullet Punch to wear down Mega Gardevoir, Sylveon, and Clefable, as well as the Rock and Ice types that may give Mega Aerodactyl and Thundurus some grief. This team also needed some extra help with Psychic and Ghost types, and Knock Off and U-turn help to an extent. Knock Off helps big time with Eviolite Chansey, Choice Scarf Landorus-T, and all annoying walls that rely on Leftovers. Defog for standard field clearing.

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EV: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IV: 0 Atk / 30 Def

Thunderbolt
HP - Ice
Focus Blast
Thunder Wave

Thundurus is dope. Sweet design, great stats, good movepool, and a really cool ability. Thunderbolt as his main STAB, Hidden Power Ice to take out Garchomp, Dragonite, Landorus-T, and Gliscor. Focus Blast...ehhh. Powerful, but its accuracy has cost me a couple of matches. Thunder Wave on wallbreakers like Kyurem-B because SOMETIMES paralysis gets me a couple free moves, but Prankster Thunder Wave works great when the bell tolls for Thundurus and Mega Aerodactyl is at full health.

And I think that's it! Hope you all liked the team, please give whatever opinions and criticism you'd like.

Thanks so much to Tricking for the helpful advice.

Last edited:

Tricking

MALDINI
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 6th Official Ladder Tournamentwon the 7th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Hi Sawyer Traynham,

nice Mega Aerodactyl team, but it has a few flaws, so let's move onto the rate which will be quite long because of the various options that your team can have.

First of all, you are running a strange coverage on Aerodactyl lacking the Flying-type move - Aerial Ace -, which is mandatory for Aerodactyl allowing it to hit Keldeo and other Grass-, Fighting-types, etc. Fire Fang for Ferrothorn is pretty cool, but if you are using Aerodactyl without support, Roost becomes a better choice. Then Unnerve over Pressure on normal Dactyl is a minor nitpicking, but w/e just swap the ability.

Then, Celebi cleric hasn't much sense in this metagame, therefore you can either run a set with Nasty Plot and Baton Pass using Keldeo as a recipient, either one with Swords Dance and Baton Pass using Mega Aerodactyl as a recipient, or you just make Celebi your Stealth Rock setter. Special Defensive Heatran might be changed to the offensive set with Nasty Plot Celebi and with Stealth Rock Celebi, while you can keep it defensive with SD Bpass Celebi. Anyways, I'll leave you every set in a more detailed way at the end.

Keldeo will hold a Choice Scarf or a Choice Specs depending on the rest of the team. I can assure you that Choice Scarf Keldeo with NastyPass Celebi is a cool lategame sweeper which hits quite hard. However, despite of its item, Hidden Power Bug is much better than Hidden Power Ghost because of the x4 super effectiveness against Celebi, and Jellicent isn't a thing in ORAS, so just get rid of HP Ghost. Scald and Hydro Pump are mandatory on the same set, you'll use scald 90% of the times, but the power of Hydro Pump might be useful despite its accuracy.

Latios can be a cool option, but I'd opt for Latias with Roost in order to deal with Mega-Manectric and Raikou which are quite threatening. You can even decide to run Healing Wish to give Aerodactyl/Keldeo a second chance to sweep.

Thundurus should be running Thunder Wave over Taunt in order to get some speed control against setup sweepers which is always appreciated by the other teammates, and maybe Focus Blast over Superpower, at least when it can be a reciper for Celebi's NastyPass.

Ok so, I developed three different versions of the team, let's start with the first.

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Recover
- Seed Bomb

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Fire Fang
- Aqua Tail

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power Bug

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover / Healing Wish
- Defog

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot / Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain
- Nasty Plot

Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Roost
- Aqua Tail

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power Bug

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover / Healing Wish
- Defog

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Baton Pass / Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Roost
- Aqua Tail

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 92 HP / 216 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Keldeo @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power Bug

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover / Healing Wish
- Defog

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave

In my opinion, these are all cool version of the team, just try them out all and keep the ones you prefer.
Hope I helped and this was detailed enough. Good luck with your team :)

Last edited:
Hey there, you've got a cool team. One thing I wanted to point out though is Specs Secret Sword from Keldeo OHKOs Hoopa so you probably don't need to run HP Bug.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)