The Everything some hero (NFL) Thread - 2015-16 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kelvin Benjamin out for the year with a torn ACL. Panthers receiving corps are looking very weak again with that major loss.

EDIT: And now Jordy Nelson out with a torn ACL. Yikes.

Last edited:
You do realize that Reggie Wayne is old and washed up? Why celebrate lmao
Anyway, a bunch of Colts fans in my Facebook feed are overreacting to this signing.
1. We let him go following a crappy season.
2. He's old.
3. No one else showed interest.
4. Where else is he supposed to go to have one last year in the NFL if you were on the FA market that long?
5. We took Vinatieri from the Pats 10 years ago and that was okay but this isn't? C'mon.
Besides, he'll retire as a Colt anyway with a 1 day contract.
And if you think Jimmy G will be the GOAT you're sorely mistaken.
If you think the Pats will go 19-0 and repeat in the Super Bowl, again, you're sorely mistaken. Regardless of what happens regarding Brady's suspension, the Pats lost a lot of talent on defense and you're left with a 1 play wonder as a starting CB. They'll win the division until Brady retires but the Patriots dynasty is over. Deal with it.

Fred Taylor signed with the Patriots for a year too.

it's meaningless and good for him/them for getting paid one last time.

Fred Taylor signed with the Patriots for a year too.

it's meaningless and good for him/them for getting paid one last time.
I wouldn't say that

If Reggie Wayne can still run routes effectively he can be a solid addition, that's all you really need to do to succeed in the patriots offense.

He could actually start this season depending of Lafell's health.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's good to have a savvy, veteran presence on the roster to help mentor all the young talent on the Patriots. Good signing imo

It's good to have a savvy, veteran presence on the roster to help mentor all the young talent on the Patriots. Good signing imo
this is one of the most overrated and eyeroll-iducing statements.

to quote Torry Holt, "yeah i'll mentor them, mentor them right to the bench."

now i don't doubt that Reggie Wayne is a class act, and if anyone would help out his fellow WR core, it would be him. and i'm sure the young guys could pick up on the way Wayne does things that could benefit them. but those are not reasons to sign a player.

you sign players to play. you hire coaches to coach.

EDIT: also i wasn't saying that Wayne's signing was meaningless, i was saying that him signing with a different team for a year doesn't "taint" his long and storied career with his original team.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
this is one of the most overrated and eyeroll-iducing statements.

to quote Torry Holt, "yeah i'll mentor them, mentor them right to the bench."

now i don't doubt that Reggie Wayne is a class act, and if anyone would help out his fellow WR core, it would be him. and i'm sure the young guys could pick up on the way Wayne does things that could benefit them. but those are not reasons to sign a player.

you sign players to play. you hire coaches to coach.

EDIT: also i wasn't saying that Wayne's signing was meaningless, i was saying that him signing with a different team for a year doesn't "taint" his long and storied career with his original team.
I was simply saying having someone on the roster like that is a benefit. I did not say that was the specific reason for signing him. It's a good signing because he's a good WR with enough left in the tank to contribute, and his maturity will simply be an added bonus for the purposes of being an example for young players.

Come on Deschain, you know I never say anything eye-roll inducing!

I was simply saying having someone on the roster like that is a benefit. I did not say that was the specific reason for signing him. It's a good signing because he's a good WR with enough left in the tank to contribute, and his maturity will simply be an added bonus for the purposes of being an example for young players.

that isn't what you said though. but even if that's not what you meant, a LOT of people cite that as a reason to sign a veteran with little to nothing left in their tank. if you do think he has enough left in his tank to contribute on the field, sure take a flier. i don't think he does, but that's irrelevant.

*glances at sig*

oh no, never. ;)

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
that isn't what you said though. but even if that's not what you meant, a LOT of people cite that as a reason to sign a veteran with little to nothing left in their tank. if you do think he has enough left in his tank to contribute on the field, sure take a flier. i don't think he does, but that's irrelevant.

*glances at sig*

oh no, never. ;)
That is what I said. Noticed how they are two separate sentences, with the second sentence simply me stating "good signing imo". This means in general, not because of what I stated in first sentence specifically.

<3

That is what I said. Noticed how they are two separate sentences, with the second sentence simply me stating "good signing imo". This means in general, not because of what I stated in first sentence specifically.

<3
fair enough.

though technically the lack of a period...naw never mind. ;)

Just wanted to say, Reggie DOESN'T have a lot left in the tank. Last year he came off of an injury and he performed poorly. His slow production last year is why he was on the FA market for so long. He's simply too old and slow to be a starter. But then again, Edelman and LaFell are battling injuries. But his maturity and presence will help out..but I seriously doubt he'll be better than last year. So unless those injuries eat into the regular season, Wayne likely won't be used much on the field. But make no mistake, I am VERY appreciative of all Wayne has done for the Colts' organization and he's a class act. But Irsay made the right choice in not re signing him. I wish him luck in New England and I hope he comes back to retire as a Colt with a 1 day contract like Jeff Saturday.
Meanwhile, Rex "Interception" Grossman signed a 1 year deal with the Atlanta Falcons backing up Matt Ryan.
Michael Vick signed a 1 year deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers backing up Ben Roethlisberger.

Last edited:
Even as old and injured and slow as Wayne is, i'd still take him over any of the Patriots wide receivers. Julian Edelman wouldn't see the field in the 30 other teams, Lafell is garbage and anyone else is a no name. Gronkowski is the only reason the Patriots offense works, at least somewhat.

Even as old and injured and slow as Wayne is, i'd still take him over any of the Patriots wide receivers. Julian Edelman wouldn't see the field in the 30 other teams, Lafell is garbage and anyone else is a no name. Gronkowski is the only reason the Patriots offense works, at least somewhat.
The ignorance of some hero is something you don't know you miss until it's gone.
Anyway, Edelman isn't a top receiver but he's decent. And Wayne is unproductive, Edelman is. Simple. Same thing with LaFell. And the Gronkowski-Brady combo is hands down the scariest receiver-quarterback combo. Yes, Gronk's a TE not a WR but he's Brady's top target.

let's be real here, LaFell barely started on the Panthers (who had among the worst WR corp in the league a couple years ago) and Edelman is a below-average WR1 (slot receiver or not) in the league. Both SB teams last year probably had bottom 5 WR corps in the league, along with (pick 3) the Raiders/Panthers/Chiefs/Browns.

what stellar athlete is Reggie Wayne going to put on the bench by playing this season? Aaron Dobson? Danny Amendola? If Reggie is healthy, he'll be an improvement. If not, the Pats can cut their losses by paying him barely the veteran minimum. worst case is that he takes the roster spot of someone who goes on to be replacement level somewhere else.

The Patriots have had a Top 10 offense every year in the Brady era save 2003, and have had the most successful offense in the league by far since 2010.

2010:1st
2011:3rd
2012:1st
2013:3rd(!!!!!!!!)
2014:4th

All they need is Brady, Gronk some random short white slot guys and fill ins at running back and WR.

Reggie Wayne can probably catch 70 this season depending on how much he plays.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
How many WRs on a team usually get that many? The next highest two receivers on most teams would be the starting TE and RB. Only three teams last year had even 400 completions and 250-280 of those are to the mentioned four positions.

Apparently last year 81 receivers (strictly WR) had 35+ catches, so more than half the league had 3 receivers with 35+ catches.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Wayne was an old spicy monster for lucks rookie season. He's already used up his veteran juju magic. For a team that runs 3-4 wr sets and with two of them locked down he's gonna have to compete with younger players for attention. Especially when his skill set is overlapped by almost every other Patriots reciever (the chik drafts for route running capability and intelligence). He will not be on the field as a primary reciever especially since he'll be too old to run in a hurry up offense. If he even makes the team which I'm still skeptical of, he will not be a major contributor in any capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)