Tournament ORAS RU Battle Of The Week 3 (atomicllamas vs galbia)

Status
Not open for further replies.
lost in 3, gg'z dude. i'll take the medal for unluckiest guy tho xd

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-264718377

game 1 i decided to bring a neat triple fight team ft.a few 'mons and sets i consider to be largely underplayed, including my favourite, chople scrafty, cb esca, and sash smash + hazards oma. game started off well, with me trying to re-adjust my position on the couch and accidentally clicking cc into a qwilfish, ruining its mid-game value. as a great man once said, "whoops", but life goes on. tried to re-adjust w/some aggro plays off my omastar, allowing sr to go up (given sawk's sturdy no longer had value) in exchange for a smash, which i had thought would assure me at least 2 ko's. an unfortunate miss corrected me right quick, which put me further in a hole. looking to re-constitute, i sought to make some yet more aggressive plays, bringing in my escavalier raw on the sneasel rk such as to preserve a death fodder and catch qwilfish for some reasonable chip (65%, iirc). hoping to seal the deal there, and having no further value for my xatu, i brought it in as to trade for the qwil, removing the threat of intimidate fodder to stifle a potential end-game scrafty, which at that point was the only route i saw as feasible. sadly, i was met w/a flinch, so again, whoopsies. i bring in sawk to cc, thinking that he wouldn't sack his qwil, and bringing in venomoth was far too risky given it would die to knock, and it had moderate value still in this game (given i made that aggro play w/esca, and +1 buzz proved threatening to me once more), but i guess my opp saw differently, and i got predicted i think(?). having to not lose this exchange and knowing my opp was a fan of sub moth, i went in once more, assuming sleep powder was not the play, and i managed to sneak out of this sequence trading moth for escavalier, which was really the most i could ask for. bringing virizion on qwilfish to keep a death fodder in case it breaks down to repeated intimidate cycling w/scrafty to set up an end-game, i bring in virizion on qwilfish, knowing its a safe play here. i throw cc, hoping he would get over-eager and throw ant out and knowing qwil isn't ohkoed by leaf blade all the same, but no such luck, and i take qwil here. i sac sawk here v.his virizion to force def drops, such as to force a roll / speed tie (since i cannot afford to pull the trigger w/scrafty as of yet), but he instead seeks to bring in durant to pop off w/superpower. seeing my window, i dd twice w/scrafty, since it allows me to win if i hit two hjk's and his durant is adamant (the standard) or misses one attack if jolly, essentially being my closest thing to a "win condition" given how the game panned out. sadly, he did opt for jolly, and his durant was trained by one more impressive than whoever trained my omastar, and he seals the game.

all in all, while i would id a couple of his plays as dubious, and personally i'd have valued my qwilfish a bit more highly in this particular mu, he did play fairly well overall, and in spite of hax, i did enjoy myself.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-264725350

i decide to pull out a slightly more balance / bulky offense minded team for this one, utilizing some neats 'mons as is the usual, while he responds with some fairly typical sticky webs offense. honestly, i was expecting him to just make the sticky web trade off the bat, given kricketune lacks real value in this mu, but i am met with an exploud lead. funny thing, we actually started the game before this, but given that he ended up scoring absolute max dmg on my garbodor switch-in (as i note in the chat of this replay) and proceeded to freeze my rhyperior w/his mesprit's ib almost immediately after (again, i am the unluckiest human, promise), he has the common courtesy to toss a replay. despite my knowledge that he was going to throw boomburst into rhyperior, being that it is exploud after all, i took the middle ground and traded garbodor for a layer, being that i am jolly, live the boomburst 15 times out of 16, and saw limited application for it in the remainder of the game. i return to rhyperior to make the exchange with mesprit, throwing rock blast simply as a matter of keeping kricketune honest while simultaneously coercing mesprit to stay in and make that trade, putting it in megahorn range. again, he throws exploud, but predicting the boomburst was heavily sub-optimal when specs rotom-c didn't have a ton of value already, and bringing back in rhyperior nets me a ko regardless, so i do so. he responds w/durant, and understanding that superpower was 100% not a play to make here (gave cofag the turns it wants to be a pain, def drops make it non-threatening to sigilyph on an immediate level, i go emboar and throw flare blitz, catching his kricketune and keeping moth honest. he brings in tyrantrum, which i sack rhyperior to and rk with fat sigilyph in turn, as it also keeps moth honest w/o giving durant a turn to do anything funky. from there i simply end-game scarf boar, as ya do.

super straightforward, and i can't really say much in terms of missplays. maybe, maybe, he could have thrown tyrantrum hard @ my boar given how much of a non-option superpowering was there, and therefore conserving a death fodder and making head smash a slightly more realistic lock-in, but otherwise, it was a pretty basic display of offense v.offense.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-264728471

i'll just call this game "scald is a good move", haha. i end up bringing some much more defensively-minded stuff, as does he. i immediately observe bu gurdurr as my closest thing to a win condition, so i seek to preserve it through the match. a bit of durdling is done around his sigilyph, simply b.c i thought he would be way more cautious about letting tomber in on sigi for free, and frankly i'd love to hear his thoughts on why he played as he did there, given pursuit seemed like a super obvious utility for my team, but idk x_x i won't go play-for-play here, since it does involve a lot of repetitive cycles, but the highlights for me were a.him moonblasting into my cb trick via tomb (which was bizarre for me, given how safe he was playing until this point, how little he gained if i did happen to double on a lix prediction, and the fact that i gained so much from getting that trick off. super dubious play, i won't lie), b.him getting the scald right away the one time i stay in with zong to toxic (more-or-less ended everything i had done to burn out his pertinent pp's, since i couldn't passively 1v1 his lix, aromatisse, etc., scald is a fabulous move haha), and c.me critting his aromatisse w/fire punch, preventing me from getting the recovery i needed to stay in the proceeding turn via drain punch to have a shot at pushing through. overall, there are a ton of repetitive sequences here, so i'd encourage skipping around a bit, but my overall game plan was stringent on draining aromatherapy and wish pp to a point that i could effectively tox aromatisse, wither it to a point that gurdurr could +1 up, and then make the push through his remaining team, something i think i did fairly well, but it just goes to show that you don't
always
get
what you wa-ant.

but yeah, i was a lil' cheesed by the end, but it was a neat series, and reasonably educational for newer players i think haha

so, uh, yeah. gg's again, i really did have fun in spite of hax, and hopefully we can meet again in slam so i can kick your lucky butt for redemption haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)