Tyranitar (revamp)

Very rough skeleton since I started this kinda rushed. Not to worry, no detail will be spared

http://www.smogon.com/dex/dp/pokemon/tyranitar/

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Crunch
move 2: Pursuit
move 3: Superpower / Earthquake
move 4: Stone Edge / Ice Beam
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly / Hasty
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe

bit more satk, fire blast, rock slide

This is Tyranitar's most iconic set in DPP, responsible for keeping a multitude of dangerous Pokemon in check and playing an important role in the hazard metagame. By trapping Ghosts, it removes Pokemon who could block a teammate's Rapid Spin. It also traps the most common and best spinner, Starmie, allowing its team's hazards to stay on the field. This makes it a key member of many defensive teams; its Sand Stream piling on extra residual damage is also valuable for wearing away at dangerous Pokemon such as Dragonite and Infernape.

While this set is effective at checking offensive Pokemon, it struggles to do much of anything to walls such as Hippowdon, Swampert and Skarmory. This means outside of Pursuiting a few defensive targets, it will be free entry for these Pokemon to fire off phazing moves, racking up entry hazard damage. Thus, it is wise to make sure your team can handle them.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/tyranitar-dragon-dance-revamp-qc-2-2-gp-2-2.3507966/

Chople Berry is another useful item Tyranitar can run; it can make a game go from being swept by Gengar to grabbing a DD against it and sweeping back. Another notable benefit is surviving Mach Punch from would-be revenge killers Infernape and Breloom, which are many teams' only way to stop Tyranitar after a boost.

[SET]
name: Offensive Support
move 2: Pursuit / Stealth Rock
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Superpower / Earthquake / Stone Edge / Ice Beam
item: Expert Belt / Lum Berry / Passho Berry / Custap Berry / Leftovers
nature: Lonely
evs: 16 HP / 112 SAtk / 128 SDef / 252 Spe

This set aims to support its team without the restrictions of a Choice item; it keeps its Pursuiting abilities but can turn the tables on an opponent assuming it's locked into the move. It can also make use of its multiple switch-in opportunities to set up Stealth Rock.

tbolt, hp grass

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 2: Pursuit
move 3: Superpower / Earthquake / Ice Punch
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe

fire punch, aqua tail

A forgotten behemoth but a behemoth nevertheless, Choice Band Tyranitar boasts monstrous power with an attack stat over 600 combined with its trademark Pursuit trapping.

[SET]
name: Attacking lead
move 1: Crunch / Dark Pulse
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Earthquake
item: Focus Sash
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe

lum, sr

[Other Options]

- curse, bulky sr, twave, toxic, taunt

Last edited:

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
name: Offensive Support
move 2: Pursuit / Stealth Rock
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Superpower / Earthquake / Stone Edge / Ice Beam
item: Expert Belt / Lum Berry / Passho Berry / Custap Berry / Leftovers
evs: 16 HP / 116 SAtk / 128 SDef / 248 Spe

tbolt, hp grass
cool EV spread, what does it do

edit:
<apexape>yo kev u rly oughta just 252 that speed
<apexape>can u edit that into ur post isa

Last edited:
lives 2 specsdos tbolts and outruns emp/mag, remaining satk evs are quite useful vs sdef skarm/shay/venu/zong/sometimes gross and jira. its physical attacks will do the job even without investment, positive nature is all that's necessary.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
few things:

- slash Superpower on the sash lead set (with Earthquake.) The OHKO on other ttars is just amazing. You also hit stuff like empoleon harder, and it's your only strong hit on Blissey. Also, if you're using Dark Pulse, you should probably go with a +Speed nature which allows you to outspeed random shit like Timid Empoleon, max Speed Adamant Breloom, and most importantly tying at worst with Tyranitar. In fact I'd advocate it even with Crunch

- I feel like Stone Edge should be slashed with Crunch, not Superpower / Earthquake on mixtar. Fighting / Ground coverage is really important I think because it hits so many things (Heatran, other Tyranitar, Empoleon, etc.) and while Stone Edge is neutral on some of them it doesn't do that much damage. Crunch targets are often frailer (think Rotom / Starmie) and they will try to stay away from tar anyway. I'm not sure if Ice Beam deserves a slash, to me it's much more of a niche option than the other moves (and god knows how many viable option this set has)

By the way, I think Stealth Rock should be mentioned before Pursuit.

also mention flamethrower if using ebelt bc not missing is especially nice on a set like that

and max that speed like badabing said pls

I don't like sash superpower. being able to kill ape with sand as it sets up sr while staying at full for the next poke is really good. bliss/clef will beat it one on one anyway, whether crunch or superpower you're still just going to chunk it to get a free switch as they softboiled. empoleon in the lead slot runs chople a lot as well. also eq is a much stronger hit against occa gross/jira. I don't see killing other tars in one shot happening too often because if you face one they're probably killing you first (scarf), and if you live a superpower with your sash they just dropped their defense. I just don't think it has very much merit.

I also am pretty open to the idea of sr before pursuit first especially because rotom (unless it's locked into shadow ball)/starmie tend to stay in on you a lot anyway so crunch does the job... but I'm not sure, pursuiting is kind of ttar's game. I'd like to get some more opinions. I defiitely know how good sr is though, my main team uses it (that's how I had that sick nasty combo of hp/sdef on hand!). also I'm considering taking out some satk and possibly beefing up the sdef even more (possible targets: 2 specszap tbolts with sr, non-lo gar focus, something with bulky star hydros)

you're definitely right about the stone edge slash, the only issue is that it means bulky starmie beats you pretty comfortably but as long as the reader is aware of this it'll be fine. I think ice beam should stay because tar is one of the best gliscor lures (and by extension luc partners since it also traps scarf rotom) but it'll be the last one for sure.

yeah flamethrower will be mentioned ofc

[05:26:26 pm] <~BKC> also i came to terms with maxing speed on neutral ttar this morning, even though i personally would never do it
[05:26:31 pm] <~BKC> but for the sake of the analysis...

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
ape is less common than opposing ttar / emp leads for sure, and having superpower i find is more useful than having eq on lead tar most of the time. you're still hitting heatran as well (although not nearly as hard obviously) which is nice. i would definitely slash superpower or put it in the first slot.

chople slash on the offensive set.

errr you could opt for a bulkier cbtar spread in a/c because of how having a bulky cbtar can sometimes be efficient for remaining powerful while still being able to tank hits (like zapdos or rotom (think specs) tbolts, starmie hpumps, etc easier. fast cbtar is probably good for breloom, although those run mach punch a lot now anyway...

non-sash (if it is sash what attack you have won't make a difference) ttar leads will switch out from another tar. empoleon has chople or sash, in which case eq is superior and the same minus dropping your attack (so it could be considered superior as well), respectively. I also forgot to mention tran, going from a 2hko to an ohko on it is a big deal. if it's shuca you haven't dropped your atk. the only way I'm mentioning superpower is to point out why it shouldn't be used since eq is overwhelmingly superior.

chople's only use on the offensive set is if your team is horribly weak to gengar, it'll get a mention but no slash.

yeah I will definitely mention some alternate bulkier cbtar spreads, the speed is quite useful for emp/mag/restalk rotom/machamp (sash)/gyara/milo/sdef tran/venusaur but sometimes it needs to be bulked out a bit more.

you're right that breloom are a lot more cautious now by initially going for mach punch against possible mixtar, I'll definitely include that

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor
you're right that breloom are a lot more cautious now by initially going for mach punch against possible mixtar, I'll definitely include that
if you're concerned about this, you can slightly alter that 16 HP / 116 SAtk / 128 SDef / 248 Spe ev spread and make it 48 HP / 80 SAtk / 128 SDef / 252 Spe instead. this way you always live a mach punch from full and the difference in damage output is minimal. this could be especially cute if you go with custap on ttar.

calcs:
252+ Atk Breloom Mach Punch vs. 48 HP / 0- Def Tyranitar: 300-352 (84.9 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Breloom Mach Punch vs. 16 HP / 0- Def Tyranitar: 300-352 (86.9 - 102%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)