Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Actually BP + SD Shedinja is legal, but I do not know how. Tagging Marty because he's the one who confirmed the legality.
Shedinja can't have both Baton Pass and Swords Dance on the same set, since they're both Ninjask-only moves learned at different levels. You can get either Baton Pass or Swords Dance by evolving a Nincada at the right level (45 and 25, respectively, as Kiyo said).

What I confirmed was that SD Shedinja (or any Shedinja with a Ninjask-only move) was transferable to Gen 6 at all.

So I'm new to NU and competitive battling in general, I was wondering if building around a Psychic/Dark/Fighting core (e.g. Musharna, Liepard and Sawk) would be good for a beginner?

Psychic/Dark/Fighting cores are very effective cores in the current metagame, as they cover each other's weaknesses very well. A classic BW2 core such as Skuntank/Sawk/Musharna is not massively difficult to build around and can be very rewarding- Dark types handle the Psychic and Ghost type Pokemon, Psychic types can defeat bulky Poisons for the other members, and the Fighting types bust through Dark types. It's definitely something I would reccomend building around to anyone, as it's a core that can work very nicely on balance and offense alike.

Liepard would also work fine, a Pursuit trapping set is viable and can do a few things Skuntank can't, namely TWave and Encore, but then MAudino could be a bit troublesome for the core as Musharna has to play catch-up, however it's not hugely exploitable. Suit your needs accordingly :)

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
So I'm new to NU and competitive battling in general, I was wondering if building around a Psychic/Dark/Fighting core (e.g. Musharna, Liepard and Sawk) would be good for a beginner?
Yeah that's a pretty decent core as they all pair well offensively and they shouldn't be too hard to build around, another option for a Psychic/Dark/Fighting core is Gurdurr, Musharna, and Skuntank if you want to go for a bulkier build.

In general if you're looking for cores to build around, I'd recommend you check out:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/good-cores-in-oras-nu-see-post-86.3523695/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/nu-pokemon-matchmaking-v2-week-12-mega-audino.3537676/

And for general teambuilding advice, I'd check out http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-nu-viability-rankings.3545276/ and http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-nu-role-compendium.3524139/

If a Poison/Steel pokemon's type is changed and it gets poisoned, does the poison still damage it if it switches out and back in again? I'm guessing it's the same for a burned Fire type and a paralyzed Electric type too, right?

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If a Poison/Steel pokemon's type is changed and it gets poisoned, does the poison still damage it if it switches out and back in again? I'm guessing it's the same for a burned Fire type and a paralyzed Electric type too, right?
yes it will still be poisoned and take poison damage, the same is true for both fire and electric types.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Types will not undo the effects of status; however, gaining / regaining an ability that specifically prevents said status, namely Magma Armor, Water Veil, Immunity, Insomnia, and Limber (but not Leaf Guard for whatever reason) will erase the respective status ailment immeditately.

So I've seen a few people in the thread talking about mixed Kecleon. What exactly does it run? The only Kecleon sets I really know of are the LO and AV ones with Drain Punch, Shadow Sneak, Knock Off, and Sucker Punch.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So I've seen a few people in the thread talking about mixed Kecleon. What exactly does it run? The only Kecleon sets I really know of are the LO and AV ones with Drain Punch, Shadow Sneak, Knock Off, and Sucker Punch.
it runs fire blast and grass knot to lure different things, i.e. rhydon, ferroseed, mawile, etc.

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Fire Blast, Grass Knot and Ice Beam are all common special coverage moves for the mixed set, aside from this, you'd typically see knock off/Sucker Punch and most probably shadow sneak too

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Is Watchog viable at all in this tier / have a niche over Zangoose?
No it is not viable, Zangoose has Close Combat coverage that at least let's it threaten normal checks whereas Watchog has nothing of this kind and is walled hard by rock and steel types (iirc). This is among other reasons such as Zangoose's power

No it is not viable, Zangoose has Close Combat coverage that at least let's it threaten normal checks whereas Watchog has nothing of this kind and is walled hard by rock and steel types (iirc). This is among other reasons such as Zangoose's power
Thanks alot buddy =]

It gets Aqua Tail+Seed Bomb to hit shit like Don & also Low Kick but it doesn't make it any more viable IMO.

Hey guys, I'm new and created my first NU team - a Voltturn team with a core of banded Primeape, scarfed Rotom-S and defensive Mesprit. All standard Smogon sets. I added Skuntank and the four of them work really well together, just can't seem to fill the other 2 spots. Life Orb Kecleon has been ok but meh. Any suggestions? I really just wanna finalize my first team I could try and ladder with. Thanks :)

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
Hey guys, I'm new and created my first NU team - a Voltturn team with a core of banded Primeape, scarfed Rotom-S and defensive Mesprit. All standard Smogon sets. I added Skuntank and the four of them work really well together, just can't seem to fill the other 2 spots. Life Orb Kecleon has been ok but meh. Any suggestions? I really just wanna finalize my first team I could try and ladder with. Thanks :)
i'd reccomend adding a fire water and normal resist somewhere, solid options that fit well on voltturn include lanturn, dd rhydon, magmortar, and pyroar although you can go with pretty much any voltturner or offensive threat that fills tht role

i'd reccomend adding a fire water and normal resist somewhere, solid options that fit well on voltturn include lanturn, dd rhydon, magmortar, and pyroar although you can go with pretty much any voltturner or offensive threat that fills tht role
Awesome, thanks! Will try those :)

I want to build around Arbok, but I have rather limited NU options on cart. For instance, no Rhydon (yet), so what are some mons that would work decently with Arbok (and preferably each other)

Ren-chon

Lifesbane, 36 layers. How does it look?
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
I want to build around Arbok, but I have rather limited NU options on cart. For instance, no Rhydon (yet), so what are some mons that would work decently with Arbok (and preferably each other)
I've built a team with Coil Arbok, and one option I really loved to use deal with Arbok counters and checks is boom Shiftry. Things that can deal with the purple snake (talking about the EQ/Coil/Sucker Punch/Gunk Shot set) includes: Psychics, bulky Grounds (quaggy included), bulky Poisons, Ferroseed, Archeops and TWave EQ Regirock. Leaf Storm kills Rocks and Grounds, Knock Off heavily dents Psychics and Ferroseed, while Knock Off + boom + SR is enough to kill any bulky Poison. Unfortunately he can't really do much against Archeops apart from maybe putting him in Defeatist range so you can play 50/50 with Arbok about either Sucker Punching or EQing. Ofc, there are a lot of other options that you can work with like Fire Blast+HP Grass Skuntank, offensive Poliwrath... I'm just talking about one specific set I've had some success when using with Arbok n_n

I've built a team with Coil Arbok, and one option I really loved to use deal with Arbok counters and checks is boom Shiftry. Things that can deal with the purple snake (talking about the EQ/Coil/Sucker Punch/Gunk Shot set) includes: Psychics, bulky Grounds (quaggy included), bulky Poisons, Ferroseed, Archeops and TWave EQ Regirock. Leaf Storm kills Rocks and Grounds, Knock Off heavily dents Psychics and Ferroseed, while Knock Off + boom + SR is enough to kill any bulky Poison. Unfortunately he can't really do much against Archeops apart from maybe putting him in Defeatist range so you can play 50/50 with Arbok about either Sucker Punching or EQing. Ofc, there are a lot of other options that you can work with like Fire Blast+HP Grass Skuntank, offensive Poliwrath... I'm just talking about one specific set I've had some success when using with Arbok n_n
Using the Rest set, so no Sucker for me.

...but what's boom? Does Shiftry get Boomburst???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)