ORAS OU Mega Pinsir Offensive Team

This here is a team I've been running for quite some time, mainly based around Mega Pinsir (That speed/ATK was simply irresistible). I tried to lean more towards the offensive side of the spectrum with this one. So, without further ado, my team!

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor

I tried to make Mega Pinsir the real star of the team, as he was the original idea behind creating this. Anyway, his main purpose as of now is an end game sweep. I usually only try to get him out when I know I can pull of a sword dance, because that'll wreck stuff up. Also, with the quick attack he's great for killing off anything barely hanging on. X scissor is there as obligatory STAB, whilst earthquake is for electric coverage.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Fly

Dragonite is mainly here for his bulk, and dealing with other dragon types. Whilst I have other moves, the general idea is to bring him out and wreck up as much stuff with outrage as possible and then leave him for dead. But fire punch is also helpful for the occasional ferrothorn. The multiscale really helps with pulling him out against more offensive opponents, then wrecking them with outrage. I used to have him scarfed since he's pretty slow, but he didn't quite have enough bulk to kill anything off with one outrage so I switched him over to band.

Gengar @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Foul Play
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

This is mainly for getting huge damage off with type advantage, as he has can outspeed most things I'll run across in the meta and he has a high SpA. The sludge wave/shadow ball are pinned on for STAB. I also have energy ball since most people don't expect that, and it's great type coverage for water/ground types. I used to have hypnosis but due to its awful accuracy I moved it over foul play (may change it again later).

Terrakion @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sacred Sword
- Zen Headbutt
- Iron Head

My lead, more than less. With the bulk/speed he isn't only great for setting up rocks, but he can also deal off some good damage. Sacred Sword is mainly great for dealing with bisharp or other steel types, whilst iron head is usually a resort to move if I can't get a type advantage, due to the high flinch rate. Zen headbutt is also there for the flinch rate/type coverage.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic

Starmie has a similar purpose to Gengar, to get off as much damage w/ type advantage. Ice beam is mainly for dealing with dragon types if I don't think i can pull dragonite out. Hydro pump is mainly for dealing with shat like Excadrill, as well STAB purposes (Oh, and did I mention fire types?). Psychic is practically purely for STAB (I used to have flash cannon in its place, but I found more use in a psychic type attack). However, the second purpose of Starmie is as a spinner, since it has great speed. Rocks in particular can be a problem for this team since it messes with Dragonite's multiscale and gets some good damage onto pinsir.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Hyper Voice
- Calm Mind
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Sylveon is the only one who isn't here because of it's high ATK/SPATK/Speed. Status problems can be a huge problem (thus heal bell). I also keep this on as special wall. Although, since I tried to make this team as offensive as possible I focused more on it's SpA. Lastly, if I can get a few calm minds off this thing is great at eating up attacks and wrecking stuff with hyper voice. Also, due to its fairy typing, I use it as a switch into against dragon types, which it's great at dealing with (garchomp and mega charizard X in particular).

Obviously this team is not without its flaws. Due to the offensive nature of this team I do have a problem with stall based teams. Things like entry hazards and status effects (paralysis in particular) are also annoying, especially when Starmie and Sylveon are taken off the field. Tyranitar with Stone Edge is also annoying as it takes out my two main attackers, Dragonite and Mega Pinsir. Electric types (mega manectric in particular) are also a problem since Mega Pinsir is the only coverage I have. If my Starmie gets taken out Excadrill will also become a nuisance, ones with choice scarf in particular. Same with an overly offensive Talonflame, if I can't get into my Dragonite or Starmie. I'm sure you can find plenty others weaknesses, but those are some of my most common problems.

Anyways, I'm a huge fan of feedback (why else would I be here?) so please give me some advice!

Hey LadyEmaSkye, I have a few suggestions that can help your team.

1. Change Mega Pinser to an adamant nature and giving him return and close combat over earthquake and xscissor respectively. This is because due to the recent speed creep in oras with most pokemon's base speed Stat being 110+, they outspeed him naturally. It also gives your quick attack more power. Return is to be put over x scissor because it is more powerful after a aerialate boost and is in general a stronger and more reliable stab. This next one is a toss up. I suggest putting close combat over earthquake so that you can hit rotom-w for some really solid damage compared to earthquake where you can't really touch him.

2. Change Choice Band Dragonite to choice band Talonflame or swords dance Talonflame. This is completely up to you. I want to make this suggestion because pinsir and talonflame share similar checks and counters thus, they can wear down each others counters until on of them can sweep the opposing team. If you want another choice banner and more immediate power then go with choice band talonflame. If you want a second win condition and more power then go with sd talonflame.

3. Give gengar focus blast over foul play and life orb over leftovers. Focus blast over foul play will allow gengar to have unresisted coverage (correct me if I'm wrong) and allow him to hits pretty much everything. Life orb over leftovers gives gengar the power he needs to snatch some important ko's. Also another change you might want to make is thunderbolt or taunt over energy ball, this still allows you to hit bulky waters essentially the same minus the sp.Def drop and a little paralysis sprinkled in. Also focus blast and your other coverage moves pretty much hits everything that resists tbolt. Taunt is another option if you want to have a stallbreaker as it can taunt bulky walls and repeatedly attack them.

4. Make terrakion a rocky helmet garchomp. If your going to use a rock helmet this is pretty much the best thing to use it on. It is also more reliable then terrakion as a lead and can shuffle opponents. Or, change terrakion to a focus sash variant. It get up stealth rocks versus most other leads and isn't seen as often at it used to be.

5. Give Starmie thunderbolt over psyshock. This will allow your team to hit bulky waters easier which you seem to struggle with a little bit. It also gives you bolt beam coverage.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Or

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt/Thunderbolt

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Or

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Steel Wing/Tailwind

Hey LadyEmaSkye, I have a few suggestions that can help your team.

1. Change Mega Pinser to an adamant nature and giving him return and close combat over earthquake and xscissor respectively. This is because due to the recent speed creep in oras with most pokemon's base speed Stat being 110+, they outspeed him naturally. It also gives your quick attack more power. Return is to be put over x scissor because it is more powerful after a aerialate boost and is in general a stronger and more reliable stab. This next one is a toss up. I suggest putting close combat over earthquake so that you can hit rotom-w for some really solid damage compared to earthquake where you can't really touch him.

2. Change Choice Band Dragonite to choice band Talonflame or swords dance Talonflame. This is completely up to you. I want to make this suggestion because pinsir and talonflame share similar checks and counters thus, they can wear down each others counters until on of them can sweep the opposing team. If you want another choice banner and more immediate power then go with choice band talonflame. If you want a second win condition and more power then go with sd talonflame.

3. Give gengar focus blast over foul play and life orb over leftovers. Focus blast over foul play will allow gengar to have unresisted coverage (correct me if I'm wrong) and allow him to hits pretty much everything. Life orb over leftovers gives gengar the power he needs to snatch some important ko's. Also another change you might want to make is thunderbolt or taunt over energy ball, this still allows you to hit bulky waters essentially the same minus the sp.Def drop and a little paralysis sprinkled in. Also focus blast and your other coverage moves pretty much hits everything that resists tbolt. Taunt is another option if you want to have a stallbreaker as it can taunt bulky walls and repeatedly attack them.

4. Make terrakion a rocky helmet garchomp. If your going to use a rock helmet this is pretty much the best thing to use it on. It is also more reliable then terrakion as a lead and can shuffle opponents. Or, change terrakion to a focus sash variant. It get up stealth rocks versus most other leads and isn't seen as often at it used to be.

5. Give Starmie thunderbolt over psyshock. This will allow your team to hit bulky waters easier which you seem to struggle with a little bit. It also gives you bolt beam coverage.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Or

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt/Thunderbolt

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Or

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Steel Wing/Tailwind
Some great points, I thank you very much!

1. I haven't thought of that before, I'll try making those changes and see how it works out for me.

2. Also something I haven't thought of before. The only problem I see with that is, as I've found running SD Talonflame in the past, that most teams have a good counter against it. Although the extra speed might be a huge boost, seeing as CB Dragonite doesn't exactly outspeed a bunch of stuff.

3. I actually used to have Focus Blast on Gengar for a VERY short period, but I couldn't deal with the low accuracy. I also used to run a life orb on him, but then I had trouble keeping on the field long enough to always be useful. Although, taunt is NOT something I've thought of before (surprisingly) and I'll definitely add that to his move list.

4. An interesting recommendation, to say the least. If I do switch off for a Talonflame, I think a Garchomp lead may be something nice to add in... Thanks for that!

5. I actually used to run bolt beam on my Starmie, until I opted to add in Rapid Spin. Wanting to keep the two STAB moves on I chose to switch off TBolt, since I saw more use with Ice Beam in the current meta. Although I may switch off my psychic move, as you suggested.

Thanks for the advice!

Hi LadyEmaSkye! Your team looks very cool and interesting. I agree with a lot of ShadowSneak's input, but i think this team actually will succeed better with DEFENSIVE SPINNER Starmie rather than OFFENSIVE. The reason for that is because your team relies heavily on your starmie due to Dragonite's mulitscale and Pinsir's incredible weakness to stealth rocks. Offensive starmie dishes a lot of heavy hits, but dies very quickly with residual LO damage aswell as weaknesses to common moves such as uturn and knock off. Therefor, I believe this Starmie set should be used over the one you are currently using/

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Reflect Type
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

216 timid speed outspeeds base 110 +speed mons.
Hope you take my set under consideration and GL!

-Abandoned Ship

Hi LadyEmaSkye! Your team looks very cool and interesting. I agree with a lot of ShadowSneak's input, but i think this team actually will succeed better with DEFENSIVE SPINNER Starmie rather than OFFENSIVE. The reason for that is because your team relies heavily on your starmie due to Dragonite's mulitscale and Pinsir's incredible weakness to stealth rocks. Offensive starmie dishes a lot of heavy hits, but dies very quickly with residual LO damage aswell as weaknesses to common moves such as uturn and knock off. Therefor, I believe this Starmie set should be used over the one you are currently using/

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Reflect Type
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

216 timid speed outspeeds base 110 +speed mons.
Hope you take my set under consideration and GL!

-Abandoned Ship
Hmm, I think you may actually have a good idea. I've never considered running a DEFENSIVE Starmie before, because, as i said, i tried to make this team more offensive than less. But, considering the stealth rock weakness (which i already knew about, stupid me), perhaps running a defensive starmie would be the better of the two paths. I'll see about making that change, and see how well it works for me. Thanks!

Here's a recent replay with some of the changes y'all suggested: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-265615374
I understand I'm not necessarily up against the most competitive opponent (new account 'n all, I'm pretty low tier), but it sortof kinda shows off the team.

Here's a template for the current team w/ changes, in case anyone is interested.

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat
- Return

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Energy Ball
- Taunt

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 180 HP / 76 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Reflect Type
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Hyper Voice
- Calm Mind
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)