Project NeverUsed Teambuilding Competition [Building Period] [Round 10]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
team 4 looks like the most effective team imo

It has two solid Fighting-checks, ok hazard control, relevant Sawk coverage, Water-, Fire-, Normal-, Flying-, Electric-, and Psychic-type checks which are all critical in this meta. The only issue I see with the team is Specially based Floatzel, as the team relies heavily on Lilligant as the team's Water resist. However, it's not out of the realm of coping, especially with Rotom-S on the squad. Xatu + Rotom-S also maintain a great momentum core to bring in Sawk safely, which I love. The team's also built in a way where it can prevent rocks easily, but isn't blatantly weak to them if they get set up. Great squad altogether, honestly.

team 4 looks like the most effective team imo

It has two solid Fighting-checks, ok hazard control, relevant Sawk coverage, Water-, Fire-, Normal-, Flying-, Electric-, and Psychic-type checks which are all critical in this meta. The only issue I see with the team is Specially based Floatzel, as the team relies heavily on Lilligant as the team's Water resist. However, it's not out of the realm of coping, especially with Rotom-S on the squad. Xatu + Rotom-S also maintain a great momentum core to bring in Sawk safely, which I love. The team's also built in a way where it can prevent rocks easily, but isn't blatantly weak to them if they get set up. Great squad altogether, honestly.
Yea but the team also has 0 chance against teams like blaziken1337's mono ice AV team so is it truly effective in this meta?

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
Team 4 by Hootie won last round n_n

This week the core will be "weather". This is a very broad core, so I expect to see some really cool Rain / Sun / Sand / Hail teams. In order for a team to count as a weather team, at least two mons must hold the stone to give the weather/s 8 Turns (Icy Rock, Smooth Rock, Heat Rock, Damp Rock) and there must be at least two pokemon that benefit from the weather, whether it be with abilities like Swift Swim / Chlorophyll, Typing like Fire Types in the sun, or moves like SolarBeam in the sun or Blizzard in Hail. Some cool ideas would be "dual weather" cores, or other innovative teams built around weather.
Sorry about the delay with the project, hopefully what I've been trying to get working is approved by Wednesday which would bring a lot more life to this thread, but aside from this I have been pretty lazy so I apologize for that.

You have till Thursday the 3rd (EST) at Midnight to submit teams to me.

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
So with the open slowing down and very few people still being there, I thought now would be the perfect time to put up a new core, and it is....

+

Vivillon and Hitmonchan form a nice offensive core. Vivillon has been talked about a lot as one of the most threatening sweepers, but it does have a problem against steel types which is where Hitmonchan comes in. Hitmonchan also provides Rapid Spin support for the 4x Stealth Rock weak Vivillon. Hopefully we see some creative teams this round, because I'm really looking forward to it.

Reminder: PM me the team with the Title "NU Teambuilding Competition Round 9"

DEADLINE IS SATURDAY the 31st at MIDNIGHT (EST) TO PM THE TEAMS TO ME

SUBMISSION COUNT:

Last edited:

shiloh

Tiering Lead
Submission Period is now over, and here are all the great teams that were submitted!

TEAM 1

Vivillon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Energy Ball

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

Rotom @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hex
- Pain Split

Samurott @ Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance
Overall, it's a pretty classic offense. The core Vivillon + Hitmonchan is pretty good while Hitmonchan can defeat easily the steel/rock-type for Vivillon, Hitmonchan can remove the stealth rock from the field. I've choose to use Piloswine, because i've wanted a mon who can defeat the flying-type who pressure a lot Vivillon and Hitmonchan, at first, i've choose Rhydon, but hp grass archeops or specs+hp grass swellow just defeat me. With Ice Shard, Piloswine help the team a lot because he can easily pressure a lot of things. Magmortar is here because with these three mons, i was pretty weak to some fire type or an opposent Vivillon, he also help Piloswine to pressure Scyther who is pretty annoying for this team. I've choose Rotom to having a better answer to Archeops or Guts Swellow, Rotom can also burn things like Sawk, Haryiama or Rhydon. And for my last mon, i've choose to play Samurott because he can pressure (again) Archeops, and he's here as a late-game cleaner, but he's also here to defeat things like Rhydon for Vivillon.

TEAM 2

Hitmonchan @ Fist Plate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

Vivillon @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Hurricane
- Substitute

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 220 Def / 208 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb
- Synthesis
- Shadow Sneak

Pyroar @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Work Up
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Hitmonchan + Vivillon core. Hitmonchan is obviously my spinner, I have fist plate so Drain Punch does more damage and i have Drain over HJK because id rather have my spinner not die to a hjk miss. Mach punch is for priority and ice punch is for coverage in bulky grass type, flying types etc. The vivillon set is standard, nohing too special, im running sub over hidden power ground so vivillon can get more room to set up and lefties is supposed to help vivillon with losing health to sub. Lanturn works well with vivillon, it can eat up the electric type attacks like volt switch and take fire types on and provides support in the form of Twave and heal bell, lanturns speed ev's IIRC are meant to outspeed Adamant Rhydon, and has mix defenses to help against physical hits, specifically like EQ Magmortor. Gourgeist-S works great with lanturn, they cover each others weaknesses and flaws while providing great team coverage. Gourgest also helps this team take on Sawk and Rhydon, being able to eat up hits from both and will-o'ing back is great. The move set is kind of odd but i wanted another form of priority and i wanted a grass STAB on my team to help me take on threats such as rhydon, lanturn, and quag. Pyroar, i wanted a strong FAST fire type and pyroar fits that role perfectly, i chose this over mag because of pyroar's, access to work up, great speed, and still having great power with great duel STAB in the ofrm of FIre Blast and Hyper Voice. I have Work up becuase i wanted my team to have more sweeping potential and to give pyroar more power, and i ahve HP grass coverage for rock type like kabutops and rhydon and some other threats like quag. Lastely i have Malamar, i wnated a psychic resist/immunity and malamar fits that role in and out, and also being a bulky physical sweeper which i thought this team needed, a more physically offensive presence. It's set is standard, Rest Talk with knock off and superpower, no Psycho Cut because Knock Off + Superpower is better coverage. Hope Y'all like my team :D

P.S I so happy Metaphysical started doing The NU Team Builder Competition up again :D.

TEAM 3

Vivillon @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
EVs: 136 HP / 240 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aftermath
Happiness: 0
EVs: 232 Atk / 132 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Taunt

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

Magmortar @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake

Sawk @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
The aim of this team is to lure in conventional responses to Vivillon and kill them with wallbreakers / general utility mons before beginning the Vivillon sweep. Substitute on Vivillon allows it to scout opponents, block priority, and in general set up a sweep more reliably, while Assault Vest Hitmonchan can come in and spin several times in a match while also acting as a good response to special attackers in general. Lum Skuntank packs some powerful priority for the team and helps to get rid of troublesome Ghost types for Hitmonchan and Sawk, while Rhydon provides Stealth Rocks and a good response to most physical attackers, having good offensive synergy with Vivillon. Finally, Life Orb Magmortar and Choice Band Sawk act as powerful wallbreakers to get rid of Vivillon's checs; HP Grass on Magmortar is somewhat uncommon and disposes of Quagsire and Rhydon while Sawk just smacks stuff in general and can use a powerful Knock Off to get rid of items like Eviolite or Assault Vest that can get in the way of Vivillon's sweep. Sawk can also bluff a Choice Scarf set in some circumstances, which can be handy given this team's lack of inherent speed. Both Magmortar and Sturdy Sawk appreciate Hitmonchan's Rapid Spin capabilities to keep them in the match for longer to score more kills.

TEAM 4

Vivillon @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Hurricane
- Energy Ball
- Quiver Dance

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Carracosta @ Splash Plate
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 Def / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Shell Smash
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Skuntank @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 24 HP / 224 Atk / 176 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Taunt
- Poison Jab

Rotom-Fan @ Charti Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash

Leafeon @ Choice Band
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Double-Edge
- Baton Pass
I decided to run standard spreads on both vivillon and hitmonchan, I opted for energy ball over endeavor/substitute to hit rock types such as rhydon, regirock and carracosta that may ruin your sweep, it's also a 100% accurate move when you need to KO something and don't want to risk hurricane. And hitmonchan is also pretty standard, ice punch over earthquake so I can suprise xatu and other flying types that check vivillon with their powerful stab.
I opted for carracosta as my offensive stealth rocker over rhydon because it can better check fire types due to priority aqua jet. It works as my normal/fire/flying resist. It gets rid of av magmortar for vivillon and can also sweep late game when everything is weakened and you are able to get off a shell smash against a choice locked mon/scyther/kanga/tauros/etc. (even though you won't be able to take EQs that well at all since you're offensive). Skuntank is my next member, it's my megadino/lilligant check as well as my cm psychic check, it also gives me a psychic resist, something I think is pretty crucial in this meta.
After testing a lot of stuff in the last two slots, I came up with band leafeon and charti rotom-f. Rotom-f has enough speed to outspeed adamant sawk and charti berry is to better check jolly variants of band sawk with stone edge, also a secondary check to DD rhydon, RP 3 attacks rhydon, kabutops, and shell smashers. And... well, band leafeon (lol) is a pretty crucial member on this team, since it's able to punch holes in your opponent's team, allowing vivillon or costa to sweep later on. It guarantees that I don't get 6-0'd my sd rotter too! ALSO CAN WE TALK ABOUT HOW VILEPLUME HAS A CHANCE OF GETTING 2HKO'D AFTER ROCKS HOLY SHIT LEAFEON YOU GODDAMN MONSTER CALM DOWN.

I started a testing account and got to 1300 pretty easily with this.

TEAM 5

Vivillon @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Hurricane
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder

EVs: 252 Atk / 20 Def / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Lanturn @ Leftovers
EVs: 104 HP / 152 Def / 200 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Scald
- Heal Bell

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
EVs: 232 Atk / 132 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Taunt

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 56 Def / 156 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave
- Drain Punch

Musharna @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Signal Beam
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
As the objective was to build around Vivillon and Hitmonchan, I opted to use (what I think are) the most effective sets in the current meta. Next I chose Skuntank, which helps me deal with Psychic and Ghost types, as well as dealing with possible Stealth Rock setters (by Taunting them), assisting my Vivillon. My team was looking weak to Magmortar, SD Samurott and Klinklang, so Lanturn was the prefered mon. Because the team was still lacking SR and had a Flying weakness, Regirock fits the roll. At this point, my Swak resist consists of Vivillon, which is not a counter at all. Having that said, Musharna takes the last spot, being both a pivot and a bulky sweeper.

TEAM 6

Vivillon @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Substitute
- Hurricane
- Sleep Powder

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpD
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis
- Foul Play

Lanturn @ Leftovers
EVs: 40 HP / 220 SpA / 208 SpD / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Whirlpool
- Heal Bell

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Mild Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Flame Charge
- Earthquake
So I figured most people would be running the standard sash vivillon spread so I opted to change it up a little bit and made it sub quiver dance. I made chan life orb for more reliable spinning with just a standard offensive spread. Next came regi since the original core loses to flying and normal types + it added a fire resist and rocks. After that came gourgeist since I was building this on halloween night and I needed something spoo0ooo00oky (fighting and samu switch in). Lanturn came next to deal with special waters like samu and floatzel and just be a generally bulky pivot, plus it traps other lanturns with whirlpool. Flame charge mag so I don't just lose to lilligant.

TEAM 7

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Focus Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain

Vivillon @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane
- Energy Ball
- Sleep Powder

Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 192 HP / 216 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Musharna @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Signal Beam
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
I decided to pair Viv with another deadly sweeper in the form of Rain Dance Ludicolo since most teams don't have enough firepower to keep up with the both of them, leading to one or the other eventually being able to come through late game. Next we have AV Hitmonchan which I find has a bit easier time spinning hazards off the field due to the increased special bulk. Offensive Rocks Rhydon is the squads normal check that can still pack a punch if need be with SD. Musharna follows next as the teams entire metagame check since it never dies, and it helps to round out the defensive core I have going on with Chan and Rhydon. Finally I added in Kang as the last slot since I'd like the dual priority it offers on this sort of team. Also, being able to hit ghosts with Scrappy is pretty neat and can open up an opportunity to spin for Hitmonchan.

VOTING ENDS ON TUESDAY

team 4. some cool innovative stuff like Charti Rotom-Fan, OFfensive SS SR costa and Banded Leafeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)