Featured Rater #4 - Yagura

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Banner by @Living So Zambian
Welcome to the Featured Rater project! This is a series of interviews where we will ask official Team Raters, new and old, several questions about the RMT forum and their experiences within it. We hope that this will offer both entertainment and an insight into their thought processes, which aspiring raters can look to incorporate into their own rates. This project will be hosted by Snowy. and me. Our third interviewee is Yagura, co-host of the RMT of the Week project and currently our sole official LC rater!

Yagura
Tell us a little bit about your life outside Smogon.

Hi, my name is Youssef and I'm a 17 years old Moroccan and I'll be a medicine student starting next week. Outside of Smogon I'm your typical boring nerd who enjoys watching anime, reading novels, and playing chess and basketball.

What is your main tier? Do you rate teams from any other tiers?

My main tier is LC, I got seriously into it after winning a forums LC tour on PO after I was a random who played every tier horribly haha, I can also play any other tier except Doubles.

However, LC teams are very uncommon and they're usually posted during my sleep time so other people who are eager to get TR rate it and suggest all the possible changes :[ so I started to learn OU so that I get to rate OU teams, and so far I rated 5 OU teams iirc :]

When did you start rating and why?

I started rating around this time last year when people started to post their teams after they got knocked out of the open and people were also trying to get help with their teams since the metagame changed a lot after Misdreavus' ban. The reason why I started rating is that I enjoy helping people out here and in real life too, so I was attracted by the RMT and B101 subforums when I switched to Smogon :)

Are there any raters who you looked up to when you started rating?

Yes, my idols are Corporal Levi and Superpowerdude, they helped me improve my rates which is something I'll always be thankful to them for!

What do you most enjoy about rating?

Like I said earlier I enjoy helping people out, I really love when people thank me when I rate their teams. Another reason is that I'm trying to get more people into LC by improving their teams and also giving them some tips about the metagame in the rates I give.

Do you follow a process with your rates?

Of course, first of all I try to figure out the way how the team was built if the one who put it didn't write about the teambuilding process they took, then I try to find the team's huge weaknesses and try to fix them by maintaining the core behind the team and its playstyle, then lastly I check if there are any moves that can be better to use or better EV spread or ability/item.. I also try to be very friendly when giving my rates because the one who put it will always appreciate a friendly rater's suggestions over a mean one :P

As a current respected team rater, do you have any words of advice for aspiring raters out there?

First of all if you're trying to improve your rates ask an official Team Rater either in the forums or in the PS room, don't be shy we are there to help ;). Also, while rating try not to change a lot of mons because if you do so the team will end up being totally different, also try to maintain the main core that team was built around and the playstyle of the team. Another thing is that you should explain your suggestions, if you give me good explanations to your suggestions the one who post the team will be convinced by them, and don't forget to be friendly :P

Do you like the direction the RMT forum is taking at the moment? If you could change something, what would it be?

I absolutely do, there are a lot of nice projects that are being done by new raters, the RMT mods are being friendly and humble, there are a lot of people who rate very well lately too.. all of this made the RMT community one of the best in Smogon thanks to the great relationship between the RMT leaders, the Team Raters, and the people who post their teams. The RMT room on PS is also a great thing that we got recently!

If I could change something it'd be to force people who post their RMTs to follow the rules, like when they click the "Create Thread" button a box with the team posting rules shows up, that'll lower the amount of the teams that break the rules and the subforum will really benefit of that.

As one of the few LC raters we have, how do you feel about the LC rating community? Do you have any thoughts on how we could potentially expand our activity there?

To be honest the LC rating community is very good but the LC RMTs are very uncommon which is killing it, Levi who is one of the best LC raters got debadged because there weren't a lot of teams he could rate and the same thing was going to happen to me too if I didn't start rating OU teams so atm I'm the only LC TR, however there are is a bunch of good LC raters such as Omastar42, Fiend Hound, and fran17.. who rate very well but the lack of LC RMTs is what's hampering them.

There isn't anything that we can do about that, LC doesn't have a huge playerbase to start with so expanding that playerbase is the only solution.

Do you have an RMT or a team you could share with us?

I don't have one now but I'll post an LC RMT as soon as I'm out of the LC open :P

Lastly, can you give us an example of a rate that exemplifies your particular style?

This rate is mainly just me explaining Fiend Hound's suggestions a little bit more and improving them, I also tried to encourage the guy into using the mon he built his team around because some guys told him to remove it even though he said he doesn't want to and it was the mon he built around which was a crucial mistake, and the guy asked me some few questions about his team which I tried to answer in this post.

------------

Thanks Yagura for a great interview! Feel free to leave any questions you have for him below. See you all next time :toast:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Hi Yagura, nice job being such a good rater.

Do you have a FIDE rating? Do you play in chess tournaments? What are they like in Morocco, assuming you live there? What's the chess scene in general like there? I'm curious because I know chess doesn't get much attention in Africa compared to the other continents.

Also are you rooting for anyone in St Louis for the Sinquefield cup going on?

Amir

Banned deucer.
Hey fren :]
Do you think you can win the LC open?
Do you have any plans of moving? If so, where?
P.S: (don't answer this)
Do you want to come over for some Netflix and chill?

Thoughts on cute user: Amir
Great friend, solid teambuilder and battler, horrible boyfriend though :(
Hala Madrid?
No, I don't cheer Barca either, I just enjoy quality games :D
Win LC Open y/y?
I'll do my best to get as far as possible!
Why are you such a lord?
Because I have cool buds like you :P
Hi Yagura, nice job being such a good rater.
Hi, thanks man I'll make sure to keep it up! ^^
Do you have a FIDE rating? Do you play in chess tournaments? What are they like in Morocco, assuming you live there? What's the chess scene in general like there? I'm curious because I know chess doesn't get much attention in Africa compared to the other continents.
No I don't, I only play for fun :p. I've only participated in one chess tournament like 4 years ago and I joined just for fun (it was a regional tournament for -18 players) but I ended up being 7th. There is a chess federation here in Morocco and there are some official tournaments, there are also some solid players and like half of the population here knows how to play chess, so I guess that's a good thing.
Also are you rooting for anyone in St Louis for the Sinquefield cup going on?
I heard about the Sinquefield cup last year but I don't watch it, like I said I only play chess for fun haha
Hey fren :]
Hi bud :D
Do you think you can win the LC open?
I'll do my best ;)
Do you have any plans of moving? If so, where?
Moving irl? I'm moving to the capital where the medicine faculty is next week :)
P.S: (don't answer this)
Do you want to come over for some Netflix and chill?
yemmak

How much of a weeaboo are you?

Teach me LC so I can snipe your rates?

Do you have any plans for future workshops in the RMT room?

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Who is your favorite TR from each tier?

What's your favorite mon to use in LC?

How did you choose your username to be "Yagura"?

How much of a weeaboo are you?
I'm not someone who has a waifu pillow and who jerks off to hentai so I guess I'm your not-very-weeaboo type lol
Teach me LC so I can snipe your rates?
I'll gladly teach you a little bit, but don't snipe my rates there are 5 people who do that atm and I don't want another one -_-
Do you have any plans for future workshops in the RMT room?
I'll be busy with studies starting next month but I'll make sure to do one if I'm free :)
Who is your favorite TR from each tier?
I have some friends who are also TRs or soon-to-be ones from every tier (except NU I think), but if I should name one from each tier your name won't be there :P
What's your favorite mon to use in LC?
Mienfoo of course, it's kinda boring but it has some nice utility and can run various sets :D
How did you choose your username to be "Yagura"?
iirc I was reading the Naruto manga and I found it catchy so I picked it :)

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
o hi friend

why am i never able to find u on ps? =[

what are ur thoughts on the # of lc rmts out there? do u wish there were more?

whats the easiest way to get back into lc after a 6 month hiatus from the tier?

fave non lc tier?

o hi friend
Hi bud :)
why am i never able to find u on ps? =[
I don't stay up late and I'm GMT +1, so we rarely see each other :(
what are ur thoughts on the # of lc rmts out there? do u wish there were more?
Like I said in the interview there are very very few lc rmts, and ofc I wish there was more!
whats the easiest way to get back into lc after a 6 month hiatus from the tier?
Laddering is the best and easiest way imo :)
fave non lc tier?
OU :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)