[STABmons] Aerodactyl

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

Aerodactyl is one of the best Stealth Rock setters in STABmons; not only is it one of the fastest Pokemon in the metagame, it also has decent offensive presence. In STABmons, Aerodactyl is able to make excellent use of Rock Head, as it can take advantage of two insanely powerful STAB attacks in Brave Bird and Head Smash. With its access to Earthquake, it has nearly perfect neutral coverage. Unfortunately, Aerodactyl is very frail and offers almost no defensive synergy, although it can switch into Ground-type attacks in certain situations. In addition, despite having very powerful STAB attacks, they're only coming off a base 105 Attack stat so they don't hit overly hard. Aerodactyl also loses to nearly all priority users, and has a weakness to Stealth Rock.

[SET]
name: Offensive Support
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Head Smash
move 3: Brave Bird
move 4: Taunt / Earthquake
item: Focus Sash / Life Orb
ability: Rock Head
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Due to Aerodactyl's extremely high Speed stat and possible Focus Sash, it is nearly guaranteed to set up Stealth Rock. Head Smash's excellent 150 Base Power makes up for Aerodactyl's average Attack stat. STABmons gives Aerodactyl access to a good Flying-type STAB attack in Brave Bird as well. Because Rock Head makes Aerodactyl immune to recoil damage, Brave Bird becomes a perfectly accurate, 120 Base Power STAB move with no drawbacks. There are a few options for the fourth moveslot. Taunt is very useful for anti-leading other entry hazard setters, as it prevents them from getting their hazards up. Earthquake gives Aerodactyl perfect neutral coverage and allows it to hit a lot of its would-be counters, such as Heatran hard, possibly OHKOing them. Aerodactyl can hit nearly all of its checks or counters hard with the right move, which is another one of its good characteristics.

Set Details
========

The givens EVs maximize Aerodactyl's power and speed. Aerodactyl has terrible bulk, so investing in it would waste EVs. Running a Jolly nature instead of an Adamant one is important to let Aerodactyl outspeed and OHKO Jolly Talonflame without getting burned by Will-O-Wisp, as well as outspeed Thundurus, another common threat. Focus Sash nearly guarantees that Aerodactyl will set Stealth Rock up and allows it to survive a hit if it Taunts a foe that turns out to be attacking, such as Ferrothorn. Besides, Aerodactyl will get OHKOed by almost any powerful neutral hit, so Focus Sash allows it to survive the attack and get another move off. Life Orb is useful as well because Aerodactyl's base 105 Attack is not impressive, so it really appreciates the power boost.

Usage Tips
========

Aerodactyl is usually a good choice for a lead, especially if it has Focus Sash, as it can toss Stealth Rock out early. If you do choose to lead with Aerodactyl, going for Stealth Rock or Taunt first is generally the smartest choice. Aerodactyl usually has terrible matchups against Magic Bounce users because they bounce back both Stealth Rock and Taunt and can either OHKO Aerodactyl in Mega Diancie's case or burn it with Will-O-Wisp in Mega Sableye's case; therefore, you should switch Aerodactyl out of them. However, if Aerodactyl is holding Life Orb, it does OHKO on Mega Diancie with Earthquake. Aerodactyl usually has trouble switching in because of its terrible bulk, but it can switch into Ground-type attacks during certain situations. You'll also want to avoid switching Aerodactyl in too often with Stealth Rock up because it loses a quarter of its health upon switching into it.

Team Options
========

Aerodactyl works excellently with entry hazard control because it is weak to Stealth Rock. Latios and Latias are great options, as they resist Electric- and Water-type attacks, which Aerodactyl is weak too. Spinners are particularly good teammates, as they allow Aerodactyl's entry hazards to remain on the field. Starmie and Mega Blastoise work very well, as they can also deal with some of Aerodactyl's biggest checks, such as bulky Ground-types, particularly Landorus-T. Excadrill is also a potential spinner. Grass-, Water-, and Ground-types such as Serperior, Quagsire and Landorus-T make for good teammates too, as they cover Aerodactyl's weaknesses to Water, Electric, and Rock and can help defeat its checks and counters. Prankster users such as Thundurus and Whimsicott are decent teammates because they beat a lot of threats to Aerodactyl, such as Sableye, Skarmory, and Quagsire. Defiant and Competitive users function perfectly with Aerodactyl, as they can deter Defog, snagging a free +2 boost to their Attack or Special Attack upon the foe's attempt to remove entry hazards. Powerful Fire-types such as Heatran and Talonflame have great synergy on the offensive side with Aerodactyl; they deal with most of Aerodactyl's biggest checks, such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Ice Fang is a niche option, but it does offer a bit more coverage to hit Flying- and Ground-types super effectively and allows Aerodactyl not to be setup bait for Landorus-T and Garchomp. Fire Fang is also an option, as it 2HKOes foes such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn; however, it really doesn't hit much else. Aqua Tail covers Heatran while also hitting Ground-types such as Landorus-T hard, but it's not as powerful and misses out on a lot of OHKOs. Choice Band is an option to turn Aerodactyl into a wallbreaker, but it is not recommended because Aerodactyl is too frail. Roost is an option, but again, due to Aerodactyl's terrible bulk it just won't be surviving enough hits for Roost to be viable in most situations. A Hone Claws set is worth a mention, but opportunities to set up are rare due to Aerodactyl's lack of bulk.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Physical Walls**: Aerodactyl dislikes dealing with physical walls, especially ones with Intimidate such as Landorus-T and ones with Rough Skin or Iron Barbs such as Garchomp and Ferrothorn. Mega Slowbro is also annoying for Aerodactyl to face, although it is somewhat Taunt bait; Jirachi is also a counter if Aerodactyl doesn't run Earthquake. Scizor, Tyranitar, and Porygon2 are able to either counter or check Aerodactyl.
**Status Conditions**: Aerodactyl obviously can't perform well when asleep, burned, or paralyzed. Prankster status spreaders are the biggest problems, namely Sableye and Whimsicott, but any other status spreader that survives a hit can cripple Aerodactyl with Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp.
**Priority Attackers**: Nearly every form of priority OHKOes or 2HKOes Aerodactyl. Bullet Punch, Water Shuriken, and Ice Shard will all OHKO Aerodactyl; common users include Scizor, Azumarill, and Weavile. Even Fake Out + Extreme Speed users will often KO Aerodactyl; in particular, Kangaskhan, Braviary, Stoutland, and Ursaring will get the 2HKO.

Last edited:

rubsomebacononit

I was cringe and annoying when I was on smogon RIP
is a Contributor Alumnus
Joshz your formatting is a bit off. It should look like this:

[OVERVIEW]

Generalize what the Pokemon does in the metagame and as a whole and why you should or shouldn't consider using it on your teams.

[SET]
name: SET NAME
move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
item:
ability:
nature:
evs:

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Describe what the moves on the set do.

Set Details
========

Describe the other aspects of the set such as what the EVs do and nature/item.

Usage Tips
========

Describe how to use the Pokemon in question.

Team Options
========

Describe some teammates that would be a good idea to pair with this Pokemon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

List some options for the Pokemon user that are plausible but not always recommended due to either being not consistent enough or too outclassed by other Pokemon in the metagame.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Insert Threat Here**: Describe why the Pokemon is a threat.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Overview
  • Remove mention of it gaining good STABs - its redundant with the Rock Head comment
  • Mention its neat defensive typing, despite its frail stats
  • Overview needs more negatives listed, such as despite having high powered STABs its still a bit lacking of power (105 Attack is not impressive)
  • It's also weak to the common priority outside of FakeSpeed, and it is easy to wear down with Stealth Rocks

SR Lead (rename to All-Out Attack)

Moves

• Re-organize the moves so that its Head Smash / Brave Bird / Earthquake / Stealth Rock or Taunt
  • Mention them in the order as I posted above as well
  • Don't undersell Head Smash - mention that its insane BP more than makes up for its mediocre attack stat
  • Earthquake is almost mandatory imho, as it lets it hit Steel-types that don't care for Head Smash and gives the best coverage with both its STABs. The most notable example is Heatran, but things like Bisharp also don't like Earthquake.
  • Mention the benefits of Stealth Rock and Taunt
Set Detail
  • Life Orb should be the main item here, as Aerodactyl doesn't hit as hard as it should without it
Usage Tips
  • Remove mentions of leading, as traditional leads simply aren't that effective anymore
  • Mention that Aero can work as a great revenge killer due to its high speed
  • You're going to have to go into more details as to how to use it, rather than just flaut about how good it is as a sr lead (which is covered by Moves and Set Details - these type of comments do not belong here)
  • Overall needs more content
Team Options
  • Don't give exacts as Team Options. Give general roles, and then list specifics (for example, mentioning that Hazard Control is a must for Aero due to SR weaknesss, and that Latis and Excadrill are good options
  • This section is at the point where I'd be doing most of the work to fix it.
Other Options
  • This is where you should mention a Lead set with Ice Fang, as Ice Fang hits many other common "leads" such as Lando-T and TankChomp.
  • Mention Roost as an option for longevity, but overall not that useful due to low bulk
Checks / Counter
  • Again, don't mention specific pokemon unless they stand out - mention general roles and then give examples. For example, replace Lando-T with "physical walls". This can also encompass Mega Sableye.
  • Again, for me to help this section I would have to do most of the work for it.

There is an overall lack of content and quality in this. The concept of a dedicated lead is mostly dead, and has been since Gen 5, especially since common "leads" such as Garchomp and Lando-T beat Aero anyways, not to mention rocks aren't even that hard to remove anymore. Aero is much better off running an offensive set than a lead set. I'm not sure what the procedure is exactly on this, but I can't QC Check this in its current state.

Josh

=P
Overview
  • Remove mention of it gaining good STABs - its redundant with the Rock Head comment
  • Mention its neat defensive typing, despite its frail stats
  • Overview needs more negatives listed, such as despite having high powered STABs its still a bit lacking of power (105 Attack is not impressive)
  • It's also weak to the common priority outside of FakeSpeed, and it is easy to wear down with Stealth Rocks

SR Lead (rename to All-Out Attack)

Moves

• Re-organize the moves so that its Head Smash / Brave Bird / Earthquake / Stealth Rock or Taunt
  • Mention them in the order as I posted above as well
  • Don't undersell Head Smash - mention that its insane BP more than makes up for its mediocre attack stat
  • Earthquake is almost mandatory imho, as it lets it hit Steel-types that don't care for Head Smash and gives the best coverage with both its STABs. The most notable example is Heatran, but things like Bisharp also don't like Earthquake.
  • Mention the benefits of Stealth Rock and Taunt
Set Detail
  • Life Orb should be the main item here, as Aerodactyl doesn't hit as hard as it should without it
Usage Tips
  • Remove mentions of leading, as traditional leads simply aren't that effective anymore
  • Mention that Aero can work as a great revenge killer due to its high speed
  • You're going to have to go into more details as to how to use it, rather than just flaut about how good it is as a sr lead (which is covered by Moves and Set Details - these type of comments do not belong here)
  • Overall needs more content
Team Options
  • Don't give exacts as Team Options. Give general roles, and then list specifics (for example, mentioning that Hazard Control is a must for Aero due to SR weaknesss, and that Latis and Excadrill are good options
  • This section is at the point where I'd be doing most of the work to fix it.
Other Options
  • This is where you should mention a Lead set with Ice Fang, as Ice Fang hits many other common "leads" such as Lando-T and TankChomp.
  • Mention Roost as an option for longevity, but overall not that useful due to low bulk
Checks / Counter
  • Again, don't mention specific pokemon unless they stand out - mention general roles and then give examples. For example, replace Lando-T with "physical walls". This can also encompass Mega Sableye.
  • Again, for me to help this section I would have to do most of the work for it.

There is an overall lack of content and quality in this. The concept of a dedicated lead is mostly dead, and has been since Gen 5, especially since common "leads" such as Garchomp and Lando-T beat Aero anyways, not to mention rocks aren't even that hard to remove anymore. Aero is much better off running an offensive set than a lead set. I'm not sure what the procedure is exactly on this, but I can't QC Check this in its current state.
I'll fix it up and add in an offensive set, but I did ask a good handful of stabmons players because I thought there was potential for an offensive set as well and it was pretty agreed on that sr set is the only notable aero one.
Everything else here I'll add in. Thanks.

EDIT: Majorly updated. Both with the formatting changes rubsomebacononit told me about and The Reptile 's suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited:

canno

formerly The Reptile
I'll fix it up and add in an offensive set, but I did ask a good handful of stabmons players because I thought there was potential for an offensive set as well and it was pretty agreed on that sr set is the only notable aero one.
Everything else here I'll add in. Thanks.
I would still use Life Orb over Focus Sash on a Stealth Rock set, although both can be slash on the set. I'd also rename it from "Lead" to "Offensive Stealth Rocker". It still loses out against other usual leads, and it doesn't always have to lead (it can Revenge Kill with its high speed) so I wouldn't call it a lead. Finally, I'd mention Ice Fang in the moveset area to smack things like TankChomp and Lando-T to hit common "leads" - not as a slash though.

canno

formerly The Reptile
should of done this ages ago - my bad

Overview
  • Mention its Stealth Rock weakness here. Otherwise good
Stealth Rock

Moves
  • I would remove Ice Fang as a slash but keep the mention in the description.
  • Remove mentions of Focus Sash here in the Stealth Rocks description. That's better off for the Set Description
  • Mention that it can force things out with Head Smash and Brave Bird, which grant it opportunities to set-up rocks
Set Details
  • Mention why it is good to outpace Talonflame with Jolly - mainly to avoid getting Wisped before attacking. Also mention Tornadus-Therian and Weavile as things to outspeed
  • Remove mention of Download - even without 4 SpD Download will boost attack. Instead mention that putting the 4 EVs into HP is a bad idea because it gives Aerodactyl an even HP spread
  • This is more of a question to other QC checkers - would an alternate spread of 24 HP / 252 Attack / 232 Speed with Adamant be worth mentioning? with 232 and Adamant it can outspeed up to Thundy-I while making Aero hit as hard as possible and giving it a slight bulk boost (relevant vs fakespeed) thoughts?
  • Remove "important" in the description of the two items (for example, word Focus Sash like "Focus Sash helps Aerodactyl set-up Stealth Rock much easier" or something along those lines - just don't make each item "important")
  • Otherwise good, although could maybe use more content
Usage Tips
  • Also mention that Aero can use offensive pressure to preserve hazards thanks to how high its moves BP are
  • Mention that Aero should avoid switching in too much when Stealth Rock are around
Team Options
  • Maybe mention Defiant users such as Bisharp and Braviary, as they can abuse Defog
Other Options
  • Change "Aerodactyl doesn't really have a lot of other options, however there are a couple." to "There isn't much else that Aerodactyl can run viably"
CnC
  • Ferrothorn can probably be moved into Physical Wall. I also wouldn't call it a hard counter, since Taunt shuts it down and Brave Bird is neutral.
  • I would change the order to Physical Walls > Priority > Status > Magic Bounce but that's personal preference
Much better than when I first QC'd it. [QC +1]

EV

Banned deucer.
Overview
  • "Has a decent defensive typing and can also act as a ground switch-in" and "Very frail, not a lot of defensive synergy" contradict each other. Commit to one. I'd prefer the latter.
  • "Almost perfect neutral coverage between it's STABs, and an optional move in Earthquake to make it perfect" needs to be moved up higher, probably right next to mention of Rock Head.
Stealth Rock
  • Calling it "Lead" is still appropriate, even if dedicated leads are a lot less defined now. (See http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/aerodactyl/uu). "Offensive Support" is also acceptable.
  • If the name of the set implies it's a lead, then Stealth Rock needs to go first.
  • The order of EVs should be HP/Atk/Def/SpA/SpD/Spe. (Move Spe to the last spot)
Set
  • Looks fine.
Set Details
  • Aerodactyl outspeeds Thundurus-T with 252 EVs, it doesn't need +Spe. Do you mean Thundurus-I?
  • "Jolly nature is for maximum possible speed, it outspeeds notable things such as Talonflame." You already said this. Cut.
  • You need to sell the benefit of a Focus Sash on a lead set more. Mainly, if you use Taunt only to get attacked, you won't die.
Usage Tips
  • "Don't stay in against Magic Bouncers if you are a focus sash set, as you will lose." Why?
  • "If you are going for LO, it can clean Mega Diancie" If it has Earthquake. Mention that.
  • "Despite having a low base Atk, Aerodactyl's moves have high BP so it can hit hard despite its mediocre attack stat. It is such a great Stealth Rock lead because it can still hit hard and punch a hole in any play style." and "Aerodactyl also functions great as a revenge killer due to it's high speed and decent coverage" and "Due to it's STABs having such high base power, Aerodactyl can often use offensive pressure to keep it's hazards up" These are not a usage tips; they're better reserved for the Overview. Cut.
  • Instead, reiterate that you can use a switch to set Stealth Rocks, as Aerodactyl threatens a lot with Head Smash or Brave Bird.
  • To include its revenge kill potential, mention what it can come in on afterward to clean up.
Team Options
  • Not only does Starmie (or M. Blastoise) spin hazards, it also beats Landorus-T for Aerodactyl.
  • Gastrodon is not used competitively in STABmons.
  • "Pokemon that benefit from having flying and fire types eliminated such as Talonflame or Terrakion are good team options and have good offensive synergy." I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Terrakion already beats Flying and Fire-types. And if you mean Aerodactyl can beat Terrakion, it doesn't do so reliably and falls to a Diamond Storm the next turn. Clarify?
  • "Pranksters such as Thunderus or Whimsicott are decent teammates, as they can beat a lot of threats to Aerodactyl" What threats?
  • "Defiant or Competitive users can go well with Aerodactyl, because they abuse Defog." Expand. "Because they abuse Defoggers trying to remove Aerodactyl's hazards."
  • I want to see more Pokemon that help check Aerodactyl's checks. I listed Starmie and Blastoise for Landorus-T, but you should also add teammates that can remove Ferrothorn, Skarmory, etc.
OO
  • I wouldn't discount CB so quickly. And actually if another QCer agrees I'd have a separate set just for it. Hardly anything can tank a CB Head Smash and Brave Bird. Plus with Aegislash gone, it has fewer dedicated checks to the set.
Cs & Cs
  • Under priority, add Water Shuriken and Bullet Punch.
  • Mega Sableye could be its own check. The other Magic Bouncers die to Aero's STAB.
  • Mega Slowbro should go under Physical Walls. Jirachi w/o Earthquake.

Integrate these and tag me again.

EV

Banned deucer.
  • I forgot about this from the first part of my check: "Brave Bird is a move Aerodactyl always wished it got in standard play." No need to mention it lacks the move in standard play, just focus on the STABmons metagame.
  • Excadrill shouldn't be listed with Starmie/Blastoise because it's misleading. It looks like you mean to say it can beat Lando-T, which it can't. Move it to another line or remove it.
  • Add a specific Fire teammate please.
Do this and you're 2 of 3!

ka-kaw!

Overview:
  • I wouldn't say it's the best Stealth Rock setter, just a good one.
  • "It is unaffected by the recent STABmons update" remove this, no need to mention that.
  • You don't have to leave this on a positive note, but I guess it's fine.
Set:
  • Looks good!
Moves:
  • Remove the first sentence, it's unnecessary.
  • I'd remove all of the fangs. I don't see a reason for them on this set. Instead, move them all to OO.
Set Details:
  • Looks good.
Usage Tips:
  • Pretty solid. Perhaps expand on which leads Aerodactyl can stay in against.
Team Options:
  • Looks pretty good man.
Other Options:
  • "You also unfortunately die to almost every relevant Fake Out + Extreme Speed user even with the resist due to the terrible bulk Aerodactyl has, and nearly every other form of priority like Water Shuriken or Ice Shard will OHKO Aerodactyl from most of their users, so it’s not recommended." This seems really out of place here, I'd remove it.
  • Add Aqua Tail here as well, it's a cute option.
Checks & Counters:
  • Which physical walls? Expand on it. I'd actually split this into bulky Steel-, Water-, and Ground-types. And also other misc Pokemon of course.
  • Who sets the status? Expand on it.
  • Magic Bounce doesn't really deserve a spot, and you mention it already.
  • Which priority? Which priority users? Expand on it.

Overall, this is good work, Joshz. However, I did notice a lot of grammatical errors. I'm no GP wizard, but I'd probably give this one more look over and work on it a bit more before sending this off to GP. :)

QC 3/3

Last edited:
amcheck (used diff app so sorry if this messes up)(sorry if i didn't do very well...)

BLUE-ADD (AC=add comma) (AH=Add hyphen) (comments)
RED-Remove

[OverviewVERVIEW]

Aerodactyl is one of the betterst Stealth Rock setters in STABmons; while it is one of the fastest Pokemon in the metagame, it also has a decent offensive presence. In STABmons, Aerodactyl is able to make excellent use out of it’s its ability, Rock Head, and can now abuse 2two insanely(Add Space)powerful STAB attacks in Brave Bird and Head Smash. With its access to Earthquake, it has nearly perfect neutral coverage. Unfortunately, Aerodactyl is very frail and offers almost no defensive synergy. However, in certain situations, it can switch into ground Ground-type attacks. PlusIn addition, despite having very powerful STAB attacks, they’re only coming off of a base 105 Attack stat so they aren’t insanely powerful. Aerodactyl also loses to nearly all priority users, and has a weakness to Stealth Rocks itself. Overall, Aerodactyl is fragile; however it’s one of the few Stealth Rock setters that is fast and has a good offensive presence.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Head Smash is an excellent attack, and its 150 base power makes up for Aerodactyl's lack of power. STABmons gives Aerodactyl a good Flying-type STAB attack in Brave Bird as well. Because Rock Head makes a Pokemon immune to recoil damage,it turns Brave Bird into an effective,(AC) 100% accuracy,(AC) 120 BP STAB move along with no drawbacks. YouAerodactyl will obviously will haverun Stealth Rock, because Aerodactyl’its role is a Stealth Rock setter. Due to Aerodactyl’s extremely high Speed stat and optional Focus Sash, you’reit is nearly guaranteed to set up Stealth Rock on the opposing side. However, for the fourth moveslot however, there are a few options. Taunt is very useful for counter -(AH)leading other entry hazard setters, as it prevents them from getting entry hazards up. Earthquake is also really useful because it gives Aerodactyl perfect neutral coverage and allows it to hit a lot of its counters,such as Heatran, hard or for the OHKO, such as Heatran. Ice Fang is more niche, but it does offer a bit more coverage and allows Aerodactyl not to be Landorus-Therian set-(RH, no space)up bait and hit some other Pokemon harder such aslike Garchomp(not sure :/). Fire Fang is also an option as it does nab the OHKO/2HKO on thingsPokemon like Skarmory and Ferrothorn; however,(AC) it really doesn’t hit much else so it is not usually a good pick. Aerodactyl can hit nearly all of its checks or counters hard with the right move, which is another one of its good characteristics.

Set Details
========

The EVs are set to maximize the power and the speed. Aerodactyl has terrible bulk in general and investing in it would be a waste of timeEVs. Running a Jolly nature instead of an Adamant one is important, because it lets youAerodactyl outspeed and OHKO Jolly Talonflame without getting burned by Will-o-Wisp; and also outspeed thingsPokemon like Thundurus-Incarnate, another common threat. Dumping the last 4 EVs in SpD rather than HP is good because if you put them in HP you’,(AC) Aerodactyl's health will be at an even number and diefaint quicker from Stealth Rocks. Aerodactyl can only really run 2two items viably, them being Focus Sash and Life Orb. They both have their merits; Focus Sash nearly guarantees Aerodactyl to get Stealth Rock up or allows you to live if you taunt Taunt someonePokemon,(AC) whoich turns out to be physical monsattacking, such as Ferrothorn, plusand Aerodactyl will get OHKOed by almost any powerful neutral hit, so Focus sSash allows it to live and get another hit off. Life Orb is useful as well because Aerodactyl’s 105 base Attack is nothing impressive and it really appreciates the major power boost.

Usage Tips
========

Aerodactyl is usually a good choice for a lead, especially if you have Focus Sash,(AC) so it can toss Stealth Rock out early. If you do choose to lead with Aerodactyl, going for Stealth Rock or Taunt first is generally the smartest choice. Magic Bounce users are usually terrible matchups against Aerodactyl and you’ll want to switch it out, because they bounce back yourboth Stealth Rock and Taunt and can either OHKO youAerodactyl or burn youit with Will-o-Wisp in Mega Sableye’s case. However, if you areAerodactyl is holding Life Orb, youit can nab the OHKO on Mega Diancie with Earthquake if you have it. Aerodactyl is usually a poor switch-in because of its terrible bulk, but can switch into ground Ground-type attacks during certain situations. You’ll also want to avoid bringing switching(pick only one, both are correct imo) Aerodactyl in too much often with Stealth Rocks Rock(add space)up because of it’s it loses a quarter of its health upon the switch-in. weakness to them.

Team Options
========

Aerodactyl works excellently with entry hazard control, because it is weak to Stealth Rock. Latios and Latias are great options, as they resist the Electric and Water-typed attacks,(AC) which Aerodactyl is weak too. Rapid Spinners are particularly good teammates, as they allow Aerodactyl’s entry hazards to remain in the field. Starmie and Mega Blastoise work very well,(AC) as they can also deal with some of Aerodactyl’s biggest checks likesuch as bulky Ground-types, particularly Landorus-Therian. Excadrill is also a potential Rapid Spinning teammate spinner.Grass-(AH), Water-(AH),(AC) and Ground -(AH)types can work well with Aerodactyl, as they cover its weaknesses to Water-(AH), Electric-(AH) and Rock-typed attacks and help defeat its checks and counters.;(SC) Quagsire orand Serperior are good examples. Prankster users likesuch as Thundurus orand Whimsicott are decent teammates because they beat a lot of threats to Aerodactyl, like Sableye, Skarmory,(AC) and Quagsire. Defiant and Competitive users function perfectly with Aerodactyl,(AC) as they can abusedeter Defog, snagging a free +2x Attack or +2x Special Attack bonus upon the opponents trying to remove yourentry hazards. Powerful Fire -(AH)types have great synergy on the offensive side; because they deal with most of Aerodactyl’s biggest checks like Skarmory or Ferrothorn. Heatran and Talonflame are 2some examples of said Fire types.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Unfortunately, due to Aerodactyl’s fragility and lack of options, there isn't much else it can viably run. Ice Fang is more niche, but it does offer a bit(said in more coverage and allows). Aerodactyl to not be Landorus-Therian set-up bait and hit some other mons harderqua Tail is such as Garchomp. Fire Fang is also an option as it does nab the 2HKO on things like Skarmory and Ferrothorn, however it really doesn’t hit much else so it’s not usually a good pick. Aqua Tai Aerodactyl is something you can run as well,(AC) as it does cover some thingsPokemon like Heatran and Landorus-Therian still,(AC) while also hitting Ground -(AH)types hard, but it's not as powerful and misses out on a lot of OHKOs. Aerodactyl can hit nearly all of its checks orand counters hard with the right move, which is another good thing about it. Wallbreaker Aerodactyl with cChoice bBand is an option, but thait is not recommended because itAerodactyl is too frail and is likely to not last. Roost is an option to splash onto one of Aerodactyl’s sets, but again, due to Aerodactyl’s terrible bulk it just won’t be living enough hits for Roost to be viable in most situations. A Hone Claws set is worth a mention, but opportunities to set up will be rare due to the lack of bulk.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Physical Walls**: Aerodactyl hatdislikes dealing with physical walls, especially ones with Intimidate such as Landorus-Therian; or,(AC) and ones with Rough Skin/ or Iron Barbs like Garchomp or Ferrothorn,(AC) respectively. Mega Slowbro is also annoying for Aerodactyl to face, although it is semi -(AH)Taunt bait; and Jirachi is also a counter if you don't run Earthquake. Scizor, Tyranitar and Porygon 2 are the other common physical walls,(AC) whoich counter/check Aerodactyl.
**Status**: Status screws Aerodactyl over. Aerodactyl obviously can't perform well when asleep, burned, or paralyzed. Prankster status spreaders are the biggest problems, namely Sableye and Whimsicott, but any other status spreader whothat lives a hit can cripple Aerodactyl with Thunder Wave/ or Will-o-Wisp.
**Priority**: Nearly every form of priority OHKOes or 2HKOes Aerodactyl, making it a big problem. Bullet Punch, Water Shuriken(why not change this to Aqua Jet) and Ice Shard will all OHKO Aerodactyl from most common users like Scizor, Azumarill or Weavile. Even Fake Out + Extreme Speed users will often KO Aerodactyl, as every single common user (namely Kangaskhan, Braviary, Stoutland and Ursaring) and will get the kill. In general, priority just hard checks orand counters Aerodactyl.[hide/]

Last edited:

Josh

=P
amcheck (used diff app so sorry if this messes up)(sorry if i didn't do very well...)

BLUE-ADD (AC=add comma) (AH=Add hyphen) (comments)
RED-Remove

[OverviewVERVIEW]

Aerodactyl is one of the betterst Stealth Rock setters in STABmons; while it is one of the fastest Pokemon in the metagame, it also has a decent offensive presence. In STABmons, Aerodactyl is able to make excellent use out of it’s its ability, Rock Head, and can now abuse 2two insanely(Add Space)powerful STAB attacks in Brave Bird and Head Smash. With its access to Earthquake, it has nearly perfect neutral coverage. Unfortunately, Aerodactyl is very frail and offers almost no defensive synergy. However, in certain situations, it can switch into ground Ground-type attacks. PlusIn addition, despite having very powerful STAB attacks, they’re only coming off of a base 105 Attack stat so they aren’t insanely powerful. Aerodactyl also loses to nearly all priority users, and has a weakness to Stealth Rocks itself. Overall, Aerodactyl is fragile; however it’s one of the few Stealth Rock setters that is fast and has a good offensive presence.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Head Smash is an excellent attack, and its 150 base power makes up for Aerodactyl's lack of power. STABmons gives Aerodactyl a good Flying-type STAB attack in Brave Bird as well. Because Rock Head makes a Pokemon immune to recoil damage,it turns Brave Bird into an effective,(AC) 100% accuracy,(AC) 120 BP STAB move along with no drawbacks. YouAerodactyl will obviously will haverun Stealth Rock, because Aerodactyl’its role is a Stealth Rock setter. Due to Aerodactyl’s extremely high Speed stat and optional Focus Sash, you’reit is nearly guaranteed to set up Stealth Rock on the opposing side. However, for the fourth moveslot however, there are a few options. Taunt is very useful for counter -(AH)leading other entry hazard setters, as it prevents them from getting entry hazards up. Earthquake is also really useful because it gives Aerodactyl perfect neutral coverage and allows it to hit a lot of its counters,such as Heatran, hard or for the OHKO, such as Heatran. Ice Fang is more niche, but it does offer a bit more coverage and allows Aerodactyl not to be Landorus-Therian set-(RH, no space)up bait and hit some other Pokemon harder such aslike Garchomp(not sure :/). Fire Fang is also an option as it does nab the OHKO/2HKO on thingsPokemon like Skarmory and Ferrothorn; however,(AC) it really doesn’t hit much else so it is not usually a good pick. Aerodactyl can hit nearly all of its checks or counters hard with the right move, which is another one of its good characteristics.

Set Details
========

The EVs are set to maximize the power and the speed. Aerodactyl has terrible bulk in general and investing in it would be a waste of timeEVs. Running a Jolly nature instead of an Adamant one is important, because it lets youAerodactyl outspeed and OHKO Jolly Talonflame without getting burned by Will-o-Wisp; and also outspeed thingsPokemon like Thundurus-Incarnate, another common threat. Dumping the last 4 EVs in SpD rather than HP is good because if you put them in HP you’,(AC) Aerodactyl's health will be at an even number and diefaint quicker from Stealth Rocks. Aerodactyl can only really run 2two items viably, them being Focus Sash and Life Orb. They both have their merits; Focus Sash nearly guarantees Aerodactyl to get Stealth Rock up or allows you to live if you taunt Taunt someonePokemon,(AC) whoich turns out to be physical monsattacking, such as Ferrothorn, plusand Aerodactyl will get OHKOed by almost any powerful neutral hit, so Focus sSash allows it to live and get another hit off. Life Orb is useful as well because Aerodactyl’s 105 base Attack is nothing impressive and it really appreciates the major power boost.

Usage Tips
========

Aerodactyl is usually a good choice for a lead, especially if you have Focus Sash,(AC) so it can toss Stealth Rock out early. If you do choose to lead with Aerodactyl, going for Stealth Rock or Taunt first is generally the smartest choice. Magic Bounce users are usually terrible matchups against Aerodactyl and you’ll want to switch it out, because they bounce back yourboth Stealth Rock and Taunt and can either OHKO youAerodactyl or burn youit with Will-o-Wisp in Mega Sableye’s case. However, if you areAerodactyl is holding Life Orb, youit can nab the OHKO on Mega Diancie with Earthquake if you have it. Aerodactyl is usually a poor switch-in because of its terrible bulk, but can switch into ground Ground-type attacks during certain situations. You’ll also want to avoid bringing switching(pick only one, both are correct imo) Aerodactyl in too much often with Stealth Rocks Rock(add space)up because of it’s it loses a quarter of its health upon the switch-in. weakness to them.

Team Options
========

Aerodactyl works excellently with entry hazard control, because it is weak to Stealth Rock. Latios and Latias are great options, as they resist the Electric and Water-typed attacks,(AC) which Aerodactyl is weak too. Rapid Spinners are particularly good teammates, as they allow Aerodactyl’s entry hazards to remain in the field. Starmie and Mega Blastoise work very well,(AC) as they can also deal with some of Aerodactyl’s biggest checks likesuch as bulky Ground-types, particularly Landorus-Therian. Excadrill is also a potential Rapid Spinning teammate spinner.Grass-(AH), Water-(AH),(AC) and Ground -(AH)types can work well with Aerodactyl, as they cover its weaknesses to Water-(AH), Electric-(AH) and Rock-typed attacks and help defeat its checks and counters.;(SC) Quagsire orand Serperior are good examples. Prankster users likesuch as Thundurus orand Whimsicott are decent teammates because they beat a lot of threats to Aerodactyl, like Sableye, Skarmory,(AC) and Quagsire. Defiant and Competitive users function perfectly with Aerodactyl,(AC) as they can abusedeter Defog, snagging a free +2x Attack or +2x Special Attack bonus upon the opponents trying to remove yourentry hazards. Powerful Fire -(AH)types have great synergy on the offensive side; because they deal with most of Aerodactyl’s biggest checks like Skarmory or Ferrothorn. Heatran and Talonflame are 2some examples of said Fire types.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Unfortunately, due to Aerodactyl’s fragility and lack of options, there isn't much else it can viably run. Ice Fang is more niche, but it does offer a bit(said in more coverage and allows). Aerodactyl to not be Landorus-Therian set-up bait and hit some other mons harderqua Tail is such as Garchomp. Fire Fang is also an option as it does nab the 2HKO on things like Skarmory and Ferrothorn, however it really doesn’t hit much else so it’s not usually a good pick. Aqua Tai Aerodactyl is something you can run as well,(AC) as it does cover some thingsPokemon like Heatran and Landorus-Therian still,(AC) while also hitting Ground -(AH)types hard, but it's not as powerful and misses out on a lot of OHKOs. Aerodactyl can hit nearly all of its checks orand counters hard with the right move, which is another good thing about it. Wallbreaker Aerodactyl with cChoice bBand is an option, but thait is not recommended because itAerodactyl is too frail and is likely to not last. Roost is an option to splash onto one of Aerodactyl’s sets, but again, due to Aerodactyl’s terrible bulk it just won’t be living enough hits for Roost to be viable in most situations. A Hone Claws set is worth a mention, but opportunities to set up will be rare due to the lack of bulk.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Physical Walls**: Aerodactyl hatdislikes dealing with physical walls, especially ones with Intimidate such as Landorus-Therian; or,(AC) and ones with Rough Skin/ or Iron Barbs like Garchomp or Ferrothorn,(AC) respectively. Mega Slowbro is also annoying for Aerodactyl to face, although it is semi -(AH)Taunt bait; and Jirachi is also a counter if you don't run Earthquake. Scizor, Tyranitar and Porygon 2 are the other common physical walls,(AC) whoich counter/check Aerodactyl.
**Status**: Status screws Aerodactyl over. Aerodactyl obviously can't perform well when asleep, burned, or paralyzed. Prankster status spreaders are the biggest problems, namely Sableye and Whimsicott, but any other status spreader whothat lives a hit can cripple Aerodactyl with Thunder Wave/ or Will-o-Wisp.
**Priority**: Nearly every form of priority OHKOes or 2HKOes Aerodactyl, making it a big problem. Bullet Punch, C and Ice Shard will all OHKO Aerodactyl from most common users like Scizor, Azumarill or Weavile. Even Fake Out + Extreme Speed users will often KO Aerodactyl, as every single common user (namely Kangaskhan, Braviary, Stoutland and Ursaring) and will get the kill. In general, priority just hard checks orand counters Aerodactyl.[hide/]
Hey there, everything is implemented! Thanks!

Water Shuriken(why not change this to Aqua Jet)
Aqua Jet is outclassed in STABmons. It only does 40 base damage, where Water Shuriken does either 30, 45, 60 or 75 damage.

Joshz you're generally not supposed to implement amchecks until they've been stamped by a member of the GP team. (I doubt it will be a big problem, but just so you know.)

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I do not agree with the above!! The more eyes on an analysis, the better. You are free to implement or not implement whatever you like from amchecks. It is actually kind of annoying when I see a great amcheck just sitting there being ignored.

Anywho, this is GP 1/2
change all of these ’ to these '
some good changes, kt3; made my job easier ^_^
[OVERVIEW]

Aerodactyl is one of the best Stealth Rock setters in STABmons; while it is one of the fastest Pokemon in the metagame, it also has a decent offensive presence. In STABmons, Aerodactyl is able to make excellent use out of its its ability Rock Head, as it can now take advantage of and can now abuse two insanely powerful STAB attacks in Brave Bird and Head Smash. With its access to Earthquake, it has nearly perfect neutral coverage. Unfortunately, Aerodactyl is very frail and offers almost no defensive synergy. However, in certain situations, it can switch into Ground-type attacks. (to make this flow better, I think combining those two sentences to something like "...and offers almost no defensive synergy, although it can switch into Ground-type attacks in certain situations" would be good, but up to you) In addition, despite Aerodactyl having very powerful STAB attacks, they're only coming off of a base 105 Attack stat, (AC) so they aren't insanely powerful. Aerodactyl also loses to nearly all priority users, it and has a weakness to Stealth Rock itself. Overall, Aerodactyl is fragile; however it’s one of the few Stealth Rock setters that is fast and has a good offensive presence. (if you want to have a concluding sentence, it has to provide new info rather than summarizing the previously stated info)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Due to Aerodactyl's extremely high Speed and, if it runs one, Focus Sash, it is nearly guaranteed to set up Stealth Rock. (move order has to match the order on the set) Head Smash's is an excellent attack, and its 150 Base Power makes up for Aerodactyl's lack of power. STABmons gives Aerodactyl a good Flying-type STAB attack in Brave Bird as well. Because Rock Head makes a Pokemon immune to recoil damage,(space)it turns Brave Bird into an effective, 100% accuracy, 120 Base Power STAB move with no drawbacks. Aerodactyl will obviously run Stealth Rock, because it's role is a Stealth Rock setter. Due to Aerodactyl’s extremely high Speed stat and optional Focus Sash, it is nearly guaranteed to set up Stealth Rock. However, for the fourth moveslot, tThere are a few options for the fourth moveslot. Taunt is very useful for counter-leading other entry hazard setters, as it prevents them from getting entry hazards up. Earthquake is also really useful because it gives Aerodactyl perfect neutral coverage and allows it to hit a lot of its counters, such as Heatran, hard or for the OHKO. Aerodactyl can hit nearly all of its checks or counters hard with the right move, which is another one of its good characteristics.

Set Details
========

The EVs are set to maximize the power and the speed. Aerodactyl has terrible bulk in general and investing in it would waste EVs. Running a Jolly nature instead of an Adamant one is important, because it lets Aerodactyl outspeed and OHKO Jolly Talonflame without getting burned by Will-O-Wisp; and also, as well as outspeed Pokemon such as like Thundurus, another common threat. Dumping the last 4 EVs in SpD rather than HP is good because if you put them in HP, Aerodactyl's health will be at an even number and faint quicker from Stealth Rock. (this is not true afaik. Aero's uninvested HP is 301, and with 4 EVs it's 302. 301/4=75.25, and 302/4=75.5; both round down to 75, yes? if so, remove this and fix it on the set as well) Aerodactyl can only really run two items viably, them being Focus Sash and Life Orb. They both have their merits; Focus Sash nearly guarantees Aerodactyl to get set Stealth Rock up or allows it to survive a hit if it Taunts a foe that turns you to live if you Taunt Pokemon which turn out to be attacking, such as Ferrothorn, and. (AP) Besides, Aerodactyl will get OHKOed by almost any powerful neutral hit, so Focus Sash allows it to survive live and get another hit off. Life Orb is useful as well because Aerodactyl's 105 base 105 Attack is not impressive, (AC) and it really appreciates the major power boost.

Usage Tips
========

Aerodactyl is usually a good choice for a lead, especially if you have Focus Sash, so it can toss Stealth Rock out early. If you do choose to lead with Aerodactyl, going for Stealth Rock or Taunt first is generally the smartest choice. Magic Bounce users are Aerodactyl usually has terrible matchups against Magic Bounce users Aerodactyl and you’ll want to switch out, because they bounce back both Stealth Rock and Taunt and can either OHKO Aerodactyl or burn it with Will-O-Wisp in Mega Sableye's case; you should switch Aerodactyl out of them. However, if Aerodactyl is holding Life Orb, it can nab the OHKO on Mega Diancie with Earthquake. Aerodactyl is usually a poor switch-in because of its terrible bulk, but it can switch into Ground-type attacks during certain situations (this is kind of vague). You'll also want to avoid switching Aerodactyl in too much often with Stealth Rocks Rock up, (AC) because it loses a quarter of its health upon switching in the switch-in.

Team Options
========

Aerodactyl works excellently with entry hazard control, because it is weak to Stealth Rock. Latios and Latias are great options, as they resist the Electric- and Water-type attacks, which Aerodactyl is weak too. Rapid Spinners are particularly good teammates, as they allow Aerodactyl's entry hazards to remain in on the field. Starmie and Mega Blastoise work very well, as they can also deal with some of Aerodactyl's biggest checks, (AC) such as bulky Ground-types, particularly Landorus-Therian. Excadrill is also a potential spinner.(space)Grass-, Water-, and Ground-(remove space)types can work well with Aerodactyl, as they cover its weaknesses to Water, Electric, (AC) and Rock-type attacks and help defeat its checks and counters; Serperior and Quagsire and Serperior are good examples. Prankster users such as Thundurus and Whimsicott are decent teammates because they beat a lot of threats to Aerodactyl, such as like Sableye, Skarmory, and Quagsire. Defiant and Competitive users function perfectly with Aerodactyl, as they can deter Defog, snagging a free +2 Attack or +2 Special Attack bonus boost upon the opponents trying to remove entry hazards. Powerful Fire-types have great offensive synergy on the offensive side with Aerodactyl; they deal with most of Aerodactyl's biggest checks, such as like Skarmory or and Ferrothorn. Heatran and Talonflame are some examples.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Unfortunately, due to Aerodactyl's fragility and lack of options, there isn't much else it can viably run. Ice Fang is more niche, but it does offer a bit more coverage and allows Aerodactyl to not be setup bait for Landorus-Therian set-up bait and to hit some other Pokemons harder, (AC) such as Garchomp. Fire Fang is also an option, (AC) as it does nab the 2HKO on foes such as things like Skarmory and Ferrothorn; however, however it really doesn't hit much else, (AC) so it's not usually not a good pick. Aqua Tail is something you can run as well as it does cover some things like Heatran and Landorus-Therian still while also hitting Ground-types hard, but it's not as powerful and misses out on a lot of OHKOs. Aerodactyl can hit nearly all of its checks and counters hard with the right move, which is another good thing about it. Wallbreaker Aerodactyl with Choice Band is an option, but it is not recommended because Aerodactyl is too frail and is not likely to not last. Roost is an option to splash onto one of Aerodactyl's sets, but again, due to Aerodactyl's terrible bulk it just won't be survivng living enough hits for Roost to be viable in most situations. A Hone Claws set is worth a mention, but opportunities to set up will be rare due to the lack of bulk.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Physical Walls**: Aerodactyl dislikes dealing with physical walls, especially ones with Intimidate such as Landorus-Therian, and ones with Rough Skin or Iron Barbs such as like Garchomp or Ferrothorn, respectively. Mega Slowbro is also annoying for Aerodactyl to face, although it is semi-Taunt bait; and Jirachi is also a counter if you don't run Earthquake. Scizor, Tyranitar, and Porygon2 are the other common physical walls, all able to either counter or check which counter/check Aerodactyl.

**Status**: Status screws Aerodactyl over. Aerodactyl obviously can't perform well when asleep, burned, or paralyzed. Prankster status spreaders are the biggest problems, namely Sableye and Whimsicott, but any other status spreader that survives lives a hit can cripple Aerodactyl with Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp.

**Priority**: Nearly every form of priority OHKOes or 2HKOes Aerodactyl, making it a big problem. Bullet Punch, Water Shuriken, (AC) and Ice Shard will all OHKO Aerodactyl; (ASC) from most common users like include Scizor, Azumarill, and or Weavile. Even Fake Out + Extreme Speed users will often KO Aerodactyl, as every single common user (namely; (ASC) in particular, Kangaskhan, Braviary, Stoutland, (AC) and Ursaring) will get the kill KO. In general, priority just hard checks and counters Aerodactyl.

Last edited:

Josh

=P
I do not agree with the above!! The more eyes on an analysis, the better. You are free to implement or not implement whatever you like from amchecks. It is actually kind of annoying when I see a great amcheck just sitting there being ignored.

Anywho, this is GP 1/2
change all of these ’ to these '
some good changes, kt3; made my job easier ^_^
[OVERVIEW]

Aerodactyl is one of the best Stealth Rock setters in STABmons; while it is one of the fastest Pokemon in the metagame, it also has a decent offensive presence. In STABmons, Aerodactyl is able to make excellent use out of its its ability Rock Head, as it can now take advantage of and can now abuse two insanely powerful STAB attacks in Brave Bird and Head Smash. With its access to Earthquake, it has nearly perfect neutral coverage. Unfortunately, Aerodactyl is very frail and offers almost no defensive synergy. However, in certain situations, it can switch into Ground-type attacks. (to make this flow better, I think combining those two sentences to something like "...and offers almost no defensive synergy, although it can switch into Ground-type attacks in certain situations" would be good, but up to you) In addition, despite Aerodactyl having very powerful STAB attacks, they're only coming off of a base 105 Attack stat, (AC) so they aren't insanely powerful. Aerodactyl also loses to nearly all priority users, it and has a weakness to Stealth Rock itself. Overall, Aerodactyl is fragile; however it’s one of the few Stealth Rock setters that is fast and has a good offensive presence. (if you want to have a concluding sentence, it has to provide new info rather than summarizing the previously stated info)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Due to Aerodactyl's extremely high Speed and, if it runs one, Focus Sash, it is nearly guaranteed to set up Stealth Rock. (move order has to match the order on the set) Head Smash's is an excellent attack, and its 150 Base Power makes up for Aerodactyl's lack of power. STABmons gives Aerodactyl a good Flying-type STAB attack in Brave Bird as well. Because Rock Head makes a Pokemon immune to recoil damage,(space)it turns Brave Bird into an effective, 100% accuracy, 120 Base Power STAB move with no drawbacks. Aerodactyl will obviously run Stealth Rock, because it's role is a Stealth Rock setter. Due to Aerodactyl’s extremely high Speed stat and optional Focus Sash, it is nearly guaranteed to set up Stealth Rock. However, for the fourth moveslot, tThere are a few options for the fourth moveslot. Taunt is very useful for counter-leading other entry hazard setters, as it prevents them from getting entry hazards up. Earthquake is also really useful because it gives Aerodactyl perfect neutral coverage and allows it to hit a lot of its counters, such as Heatran, hard or for the OHKO. Aerodactyl can hit nearly all of its checks or counters hard with the right move, which is another one of its good characteristics.

Set Details
========

The EVs are set to maximize the power and the speed. Aerodactyl has terrible bulk in general and investing in it would waste EVs. Running a Jolly nature instead of an Adamant one is important, because it lets Aerodactyl outspeed and OHKO Jolly Talonflame without getting burned by Will-O-Wisp; and also, as well as outspeed Pokemon such as like Thundurus, another common threat. Dumping the last 4 EVs in SpD rather than HP is good because if you put them in HP, Aerodactyl's health will be at an even number and faint quicker from Stealth Rock. (this is not true afaik. Aero's uninvested HP is 301, and with 4 EVs it's 302. 301/4=75.25, and 302/4=75.5; both round down to 75, yes? if so, remove this and fix it on the set as well) Aerodactyl can only really run two items viably, them being Focus Sash and Life Orb. They both have their merits; Focus Sash nearly guarantees Aerodactyl to get set Stealth Rock up or allows it to survive a hit if it Taunts a foe that turns you to live if you Taunt Pokemon which turn out to be attacking, such as Ferrothorn, and. (AP) Besides, Aerodactyl will get OHKOed by almost any powerful neutral hit, so Focus Sash allows it to survive live and get another hit off. Life Orb is useful as well because Aerodactyl's 105 base 105 Attack is not impressive, (AC) and it really appreciates the major power boost.

Usage Tips
========

Aerodactyl is usually a good choice for a lead, especially if you have Focus Sash, so it can toss Stealth Rock out early. If you do choose to lead with Aerodactyl, going for Stealth Rock or Taunt first is generally the smartest choice. Magic Bounce users are Aerodactyl usually has terrible matchups against Magic Bounce users Aerodactyl and you’ll want to switch out, because they bounce back both Stealth Rock and Taunt and can either OHKO Aerodactyl or burn it with Will-O-Wisp in Mega Sableye's case; you should switch Aerodactyl out of them. However, if Aerodactyl is holding Life Orb, it can nab the OHKO on Mega Diancie with Earthquake. Aerodactyl is usually a poor switch-in because of its terrible bulk, but it can switch into Ground-type attacks during certain situations (this is kind of vague). You'll also want to avoid switching Aerodactyl in too much often with Stealth Rocks Rock up, (AC) because it loses a quarter of its health upon switching in the switch-in.

Team Options
========

Aerodactyl works excellently with entry hazard control, because it is weak to Stealth Rock. Latios and Latias are great options, as they resist the Electric- and Water-type attacks, which Aerodactyl is weak too. Rapid Spinners are particularly good teammates, as they allow Aerodactyl's entry hazards to remain in on the field. Starmie and Mega Blastoise work very well, as they can also deal with some of Aerodactyl's biggest checks, (AC) such as bulky Ground-types, particularly Landorus-Therian. Excadrill is also a potential spinner.(space)Grass-, Water-, and Ground-(remove space)types can work well with Aerodactyl, as they cover its weaknesses to Water, Electric, (AC) and Rock-type attacks and help defeat its checks and counters; Serperior and Quagsire and Serperior are good examples. Prankster users such as Thundurus and Whimsicott are decent teammates because they beat a lot of threats to Aerodactyl, such as like Sableye, Skarmory, and Quagsire. Defiant and Competitive users function perfectly with Aerodactyl, as they can deter Defog, snagging a free +2 Attack or +2 Special Attack bonus boost upon the opponents trying to remove entry hazards. Powerful Fire-types have great offensive synergy on the offensive side with Aerodactyl; they deal with most of Aerodactyl's biggest checks, such as like Skarmory or and Ferrothorn. Heatran and Talonflame are some examples.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Unfortunately, due to Aerodactyl's fragility and lack of options, there isn't much else it can viably run. Ice Fang is more niche, but it does offer a bit more coverage and allows Aerodactyl to not be setup bait for Landorus-Therian set-up bait and to hit some other Pokemons harder, (AC) such as Garchomp. Fire Fang is also an option, (AC) as it does nab the 2HKO on foes such as things like Skarmory and Ferrothorn; however, however it really doesn't hit much else, (AC) so it's not usually not a good pick. Aqua Tail is something you can run as well as it does cover some things like Heatran and Landorus-Therian still while also hitting Ground-types hard, but it's not as powerful and misses out on a lot of OHKOs. Aerodactyl can hit nearly all of its checks and counters hard with the right move, which is another good thing about it. Wallbreaker Aerodactyl with Choice Band is an option, but it is not recommended because Aerodactyl is too frail and is not likely to not last. Roost is an option to splash onto one of Aerodactyl's sets, but again, due to Aerodactyl's terrible bulk it just won't be survivng living enough hits for Roost to be viable in most situations. A Hone Claws set is worth a mention, but opportunities to set up will be rare due to the lack of bulk.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Physical Walls**: Aerodactyl dislikes dealing with physical walls, especially ones with Intimidate such as Landorus-Therian, and ones with Rough Skin or Iron Barbs such as like Garchomp or Ferrothorn, respectively. Mega Slowbro is also annoying for Aerodactyl to face, although it is semi-Taunt bait; and Jirachi is also a counter if you don't run Earthquake. Scizor, Tyranitar, and Porygon2 are the other common physical walls, all able to either counter or check which counter/check Aerodactyl.

**Status**: Status screws Aerodactyl over. Aerodactyl obviously can't perform well when asleep, burned, or paralyzed. Prankster status spreaders are the biggest problems, namely Sableye and Whimsicott, but any other status spreader that survives lives a hit can cripple Aerodactyl with Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp.

**Priority**: Nearly every form of priority OHKOes or 2HKOes Aerodactyl, making it a big problem. Bullet Punch, Water Shuriken, (AC) and Ice Shard will all OHKO Aerodactyl; (ASC) from most common users like include Scizor, Azumarill, and or Weavile. Even Fake Out + Extreme Speed users will often KO Aerodactyl, as every single common user (namely; (ASC) in particular, Kangaskhan, Braviary, Stoutland, (AC) and Ursaring) will get the kill KO. In general, priority just hard checks and counters Aerodactyl.
Everything implemented, sorry for my poor grammar haha. Thanks!

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add
Remove

Comment

[OVERVIEW]

Aerodactyl is one of the best Stealth Rock setters in STABmons; while it not only is it one of the fastest Pokemon in the metagame, but it also has a decent offensive presence. In STABmons, Aerodactyl is able to make excellent use of its ability Rock Head, as it can now take advantage of two insanely powerful STAB attacks in Brave Bird and Head Smash. With its access to Earthquake, it has nearly perfect neutral coverage. Unfortunately, Aerodactyl is very frail and offers almost no defensive synergy, (AC) although in certain situations, it can switch into Ground-type attacks in certain situations. In addition, despite having very powerful STAB attacks, they'(no curly apostrophes)re only coming off of a base 105 Attack stat, so they aren'(no curly apostrophes)t insanely powerful. Aerodactyl also loses to nearly all priority users, and it has a weakness to Stealth Rock itself as well.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Due to Aerodactyl'(no curly apostrophes)s extremely high Speed stat and optional possible (subjective) Focus Sash, it is nearly guaranteed to set up Stealth Rock. Head Smash's excellent 150 Base Power makes up for Aerodactyl's lack of power average Attack stat. STABmons gives Aerodactyl access to a good Flying-type STAB attack in Brave Bird as well. Because Rock Head makes a Pokemon Aerodactyl immune to recoil damage, it turns Brave Bird into becomes an effective, 100% accuracy perfectly accurate, 120 Base Power STAB move with no drawbacks. There are a few options for the fourth moveslot. Taunt is very useful for counter-leading other entry hazard setters, as it prevents them from getting entry hazards up. Earthquake is also really useful because it gives Aerodactyl perfect neutral coverage and allows it to hit a lot of its would-be counters, such as Heatran, hard, possibly or for the OHKOing them. Aerodactyl can hit nearly all of its checks or counters hard with the right move, which is another one of its good characteristics.

Set Details
========

The given EVs are set to maximize Aerodacty's power and speed. Aerodactyl has terrible bulk, so in general and investing in it would waste EVs. Running a Jolly nature instead of an Adamant one is important, because it lets to let Aerodactyl outspeed and OHKO Jolly Talonflame without getting burned by Will-O-Wisp, as well as outspeed Pokemon such as Thundurus, another common threat. Aerodactyl can only really run two items viably, them being Focus Sash and Life Orb. They both have their merits; Focus Sash nearly guarantees that Aerodactyl to will set Stealth Rock up or and allows it to survive a hit if it Taunts a foe that turns out to be attacking, such as Ferrothorn. Besides, Aerodactyl will get OHKOed by almost any powerful neutral hit, so Focus Sash allows it to survive the attack and get another hit move off. Life Orb is useful as well because Aerodactyl'(no curly apostrophes)s base 105 Attack is not impressive, and so it really appreciates the major (arguably so; I'm not a fan of how it sounds here either) power boost.

Usage Tips
========

Aerodactyl is usually a good choice for a lead, especially if you have it has Focus Sash, so as it can toss Stealth Rock out early. If you do choose to lead with Aerodactyl, going for Stealth Rock or Taunt first is generally the smartest choice. Aerodactyl usually has terrible matchups against Magic Bounce users, (RC) because they bounce back both Stealth Rock and Taunt and can either OHKO Aerodactyl in Mega Diancie's case or burn it with Will-O-Wisp in Mega Sableye's case; as such, you should switch Aerodactyl out of them. However, if Aerodactyl is holding Life Orb, it can nab the OHKO on Mega Diancie with Earthquake. Aerodactyl is usually a poor switch-in because of its terrible bulk, but it can switch into Ground-type attacks during certain situations. You'(no curly apostrophes)ll also want to avoid switching Aerodactyl in too often with Stealth Rock up because it loses a quarter of its health upon switching into it.

Team Options
========

Aerodactyl works excellently with entry hazard control, (RC) because it is weak to Stealth Rock. Latios and Latias are great options, as they resist Electric- and Water-type attacks, which Aerodactyl is weak too. Spinners are particularly good teammates, as they allow Aerodacty'(no curly apostrophes)s entry hazards to remain on the field. Starmie and Mega Blastoise work very well, as they can also deal with some of Aerodacty'(no curly apostrophes)s biggest checks, such as bulky Ground-types, particularly Landorus-Therian. Excadrill is also a potential spinner. Grass-, Water-, and Ground-types Serperior, (Is Quasgire a Water-type or Ground-type for this example? If it's a Ground-type, use (insert Water-type), and Quagsire, and if it's a Water-type, use Quagsire, and (insert Ground-type).) can work well with Aerodactyl, as they cover its weaknesses to Water, Electric, and Rock and can help defeat its checks and counters; Serperior and Quagsire are good examples. Prankster users such as Thundurus and Whimsicott are decent teammates because they beat a lot of threats to Aerodactyl, such as Sableye, Skarmory, and Quagsire. Defiant and Competitive users function perfectly with Aerodactyl, as they can deter Defog, snagging a free +2 boost to their Attack or +2 Special Attack boost upon the opponents trying foe's attempt to remove entry hazards. Powerful Fire-types such as Heatran and Talonflame have great offensive synergy on the offensive side with Aerodactyl; they can deal with most of Aerodactyl's biggest checks, such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn. Heatran and Talonflame are some examples.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Unfortunately, due to Aerodactyl's fragility and lack of options, there isn't much else it can viably run. Ice Fang is more a niche option, but it does offer a bit more coverage (than what?) and allows Aerodactyl to not be setup bait for Landorus-T and to hit some other Pokemon harder, such as hits Landorus-T and Garchomp harder. Fire Fang is also an option, as it does nab the 2HKOes on foes such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn; however, it really doesn't hit much else, so it's usually not a good pick (redundant). Aqua Tail does covers Heatran and Landorus-T while also hitting Ground-types such as Landorus-T hard, but it's not as powerful and misses out on a lot of OHKOs. Wallbreaker Aerodactyl with Choice Band is an option to turn Aerodactyl into a wallbreaker, but it is not recommended because Aerodactyl is too frail and is not likely to last (redundant). Roost is an option on one of Aerodactyl's sets, but again, due to Aerodactyl's terrible bulk it just won't be surviving enough hits for Roost to be viable in most situations. A Hone Claws set is worth a mention, but opportunities to set up will be are rare due to the Aerodacty's lack of bulk.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Physical Walls**: Aerodactyl dislikes dealing with physical walls, especially ones with Intimidate such as Landorus-T and ones with Rough Skin or Iron Barbs such as Garchomp or and Ferrothorn, respectively. Mega Slowbro is also annoying for Aerodactyl to face, although it is semi- somewhat Taunt bait; Jirachi is also a counter if you don't Aerodactyl doesn't run Earthquake. Scizor, Tyranitar, and Porygon2 are the other common physical walls, all also able to either check or counter or check Aerodactyl.

**Status Conditions**: Status screws Aerodactyl over. (Fluff and too colloquial) Aerodactyl obviously can't perform well when asleep, burned, or paralyzed. Prankster status spreaders are the biggest problems, namely Sableye and Whimsicott, but any other status spreader that survives a hit can cripple Aerodactyl with Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp.

**Priority Attackers**: Nearly every form of priority OHKOes or 2HKOes Aerodactyl, making it a big problem (redundant). Bullet Punch, Water Shuriken, and Ice Shard will all OHKO Aerodactyl; common users of these moves include Scizor, Azumarill, and Weavile, respectively. Even Fake Out + Extreme Speed users will often KO Aerodactyl; in particular, Kangaskhan, Braviary, Stoutland, (AC) and Ursaring will get the KO 2HKO it (seriously?). In general, priority just hard checks and counters Aerodactyl. (fluff)

Unfortunately, due to the amount of stuff changed, I'm going to request a third check.
GP 2/3

Last edited:

Josh

=P
Add
Remove

Comment

[OVERVIEW]

Aerodactyl is one of the best Stealth Rock setters in STABmons; while it not only is it one of the fastest Pokemon in the metagame, but it also has a decent offensive presence. In STABmons, Aerodactyl is able to make excellent use of its ability Rock Head, as it can now take advantage of two insanely powerful STAB attacks in Brave Bird and Head Smash. With its access to Earthquake, it has nearly perfect neutral coverage. Unfortunately, Aerodactyl is very frail and offers almost no defensive synergy, (AC) although in certain situations, it can switch into Ground-type attacks in certain situations. In addition, despite having very powerful STAB attacks, they'(no curly apostrophes)re only coming off of a base 105 Attack stat, so they aren'(no curly apostrophes)t insanely powerful. Aerodactyl also loses to nearly all priority users, and it has a weakness to Stealth Rock itself as well.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Due to Aerodactyl'(no curly apostrophes)s extremely high Speed stat and optional possible (subjective) Focus Sash, it is nearly guaranteed to set up Stealth Rock. Head Smash's excellent 150 Base Power makes up for Aerodactyl's lack of power average Attack stat. STABmons gives Aerodactyl access to a good Flying-type STAB attack in Brave Bird as well. Because Rock Head makes a Pokemon Aerodactyl immune to recoil damage, it turns Brave Bird into becomes an effective, 100% accuracy perfectly accurate, 120 Base Power STAB move with no drawbacks. There are a few options for the fourth moveslot. Taunt is very useful for counter-leading other entry hazard setters, as it prevents them from getting entry hazards up. Earthquake is also really useful because it gives Aerodactyl perfect neutral coverage and allows it to hit a lot of its would-be counters, such as Heatran, hard, possibly or for the OHKOing them. Aerodactyl can hit nearly all of its checks or counters hard with the right move, which is another one of its good characteristics.

Set Details
========

The given EVs are set to maximize Aerodacty's power and speed. Aerodactyl has terrible bulk, so in general and investing in it would waste EVs. Running a Jolly nature instead of an Adamant one is important, because it lets to let Aerodactyl outspeed and OHKO Jolly Talonflame without getting burned by Will-O-Wisp, as well as outspeed Pokemon such as Thundurus, another common threat. Aerodactyl can only really run two items viably, them being Focus Sash and Life Orb. They both have their merits; Focus Sash nearly guarantees that Aerodactyl to will set Stealth Rock up or and allows it to survive a hit if it Taunts a foe that turns out to be attacking, such as Ferrothorn. Besides, Aerodactyl will get OHKOed by almost any powerful neutral hit, so Focus Sash allows it to survive the attack and get another hit move off. Life Orb is useful as well because Aerodactyl'(no curly apostrophes)s base 105 Attack is not impressive, and so it really appreciates the major (arguably so; I'm not a fan of how it sounds here either) power boost.

Usage Tips
========

Aerodactyl is usually a good choice for a lead, especially if you have it has Focus Sash, so as it can toss Stealth Rock out early. If you do choose to lead with Aerodactyl, going for Stealth Rock or Taunt first is generally the smartest choice. Aerodactyl usually has terrible matchups against Magic Bounce users, (RC) because they bounce back both Stealth Rock and Taunt and can either OHKO Aerodactyl in Mega Diancie's case or burn it with Will-O-Wisp in Mega Sableye's case; as such, you should switch Aerodactyl out of them. However, if Aerodactyl is holding Life Orb, it can nab the OHKO on Mega Diancie with Earthquake. Aerodactyl is usually a poor switch-in because of its terrible bulk, but it can switch into Ground-type attacks during certain situations. You'(no curly apostrophes)ll also want to avoid switching Aerodactyl in too often with Stealth Rock up because it loses a quarter of its health upon switching into it.

Team Options
========

Aerodactyl works excellently with entry hazard control, (RC) because it is weak to Stealth Rock. Latios and Latias are great options, as they resist Electric- and Water-type attacks, which Aerodactyl is weak too. Spinners are particularly good teammates, as they allow Aerodacty'(no curly apostrophes)s entry hazards to remain on the field. Starmie and Mega Blastoise work very well, as they can also deal with some of Aerodacty'(no curly apostrophes)s biggest checks, such as bulky Ground-types, particularly Landorus-Therian. Excadrill is also a potential spinner. Grass-, Water-, and Ground-types Serperior, (Is Quasgire a Water-type or Ground-type for this example? If it's a Ground-type, use (insert Water-type), and Quagsire, and if it's a Water-type, use Quagsire, and (insert Ground-type).) can work well with Aerodactyl, as they cover its weaknesses to Water, Electric, and Rock and can help defeat its checks and counters; Serperior and Quagsire are good examples. Prankster users such as Thundurus and Whimsicott are decent teammates because they beat a lot of threats to Aerodactyl, such as Sableye, Skarmory, and Quagsire. Defiant and Competitive users function perfectly with Aerodactyl, as they can deter Defog, snagging a free +2 boost to their Attack or +2 Special Attack boost upon the opponents trying foe's attempt to remove entry hazards. Powerful Fire-types such as Heatran and Talonflame have great offensive synergy on the offensive side with Aerodactyl; they can deal with most of Aerodactyl's biggest checks, such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn. Heatran and Talonflame are some examples.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Unfortunately, due to Aerodactyl's fragility and lack of options, there isn't much else it can viably run. Ice Fang is more a niche option, but it does offer a bit more coverage (than what?) and allows Aerodactyl to not be setup bait for Landorus-T and to hit some other Pokemon harder, such as hits Landorus-T and Garchomp harder. Fire Fang is also an option, as it does nab the 2HKOes on foes such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn; however, it really doesn't hit much else, so it's usually not a good pick (redundant). Aqua Tail does covers Heatran and Landorus-T while also hitting Ground-types such as Landorus-T hard, but it's not as powerful and misses out on a lot of OHKOs. Wallbreaker Aerodactyl with Choice Band is an option to turn Aerodactyl into a wallbreaker, but it is not recommended because Aerodactyl is too frail and is not likely to last (redundant). Roost is an option on one of Aerodactyl's sets, but again, due to Aerodactyl's terrible bulk it just won't be surviving enough hits for Roost to be viable in most situations. A Hone Claws set is worth a mention, but opportunities to set up will be are rare due to the Aerodacty's lack of bulk.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Physical Walls**: Aerodactyl dislikes dealing with physical walls, especially ones with Intimidate such as Landorus-T and ones with Rough Skin or Iron Barbs such as Garchomp or and Ferrothorn, respectively. Mega Slowbro is also annoying for Aerodactyl to face, although it is semi- somewhat Taunt bait; Jirachi is also a counter if you don't Aerodactyl doesn't run Earthquake. Scizor, Tyranitar, and Porygon2 are the other common physical walls, all also able to either check or counter or check Aerodactyl.

**Status Conditions**: Status screws Aerodactyl over. (Fluff and too colloquial) Aerodactyl obviously can't perform well when asleep, burned, or paralyzed. Prankster status spreaders are the biggest problems, namely Sableye and Whimsicott, but any other status spreader that survives a hit can cripple Aerodactyl with Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp.

**Priority Attackers**: Nearly every form of priority OHKOes or 2HKOes Aerodactyl, making it a big problem (redundant). Bullet Punch, Water Shuriken, and Ice Shard will all OHKO Aerodactyl; common users of these moves include Scizor, Azumarill, and Weavile, respectively. Even Fake Out + Extreme Speed users will often KO Aerodactyl; in particular, Kangaskhan, Braviary, Stoutland, (AC) and Ursaring will get the KO 2HKO it (seriously?). In general, priority just hard checks and counters Aerodactyl. (fluff)

Unfortunately, due to the amount of stuff changed, I'm going to request a third check.
GP 2/3
Everything is implemented, thanks. I know I have poor grammar, I understand having to have a 3rd check.

get the KO 2HKO it (seriously?)
I didn't say OHKO because it's not a 1 hit KO obviously, but I didn't really think using 2HKO was a wise choice of words because it's sort of an OHKO in that Aerodactyl doesn't get an opportunity to move at all. It's also 2 seperate attacks combining to KO and break sash. That's why I worded it as KO rather than 2HKO.

As a side note, you said 'Aerodacty's' multiple times in your check rather than 'Aerodactyl's'. It's likely only an issue with your L key being unresponsive (clean it!) and obviously not a big deal, but just a heads up.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
ok
remove add (Capitalize / Fix) (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 3/3
[OVERVIEW]

Aerodactyl is one of the best Stealth Rock setters in STABmons; not only is it one of the fastest Pokemon in the metagame, but it also has decent offensive presence. In STABmons, Aerodactyl is able to make excellent use of Rock Head, as it can take advantage of two insanely powerful STAB attacks in Brave Bird and Head Smash. With its access to Earthquake, it has nearly perfect neutral coverage. Unfortunately, Aerodactyl is very frail and offers almost no defensive synergy, although it can switch into Ground-type attacks in certain situations. In addition, despite having very powerful STAB attacks, they're only coming off of a base 105 Attack stat, so they aren't insanely powerful don't hit insanely hard. Aerodactyl also loses to nearly all priority users (RC) and it has a weakness to Stealth Rock as well.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Due to Aerodactyl's extremely high Speed stat and possible Focus Sash, it is nearly guaranteed to set up Stealth Rock. Head Smash's excellent 150 Base Power makes up for Aerodactyl's average Attack stat. STABmons gives Aerodactyl access to a good Flying-type STAB attack in Brave Bird as well. Because Rock Head makes Aerodactyl immune to recoil damage, Brave Bird becomes a perfectly accurate, 120-Base (add hyphen) Power STAB move with no drawbacks. There are a few options for the fourth moveslot. Taunt is very useful for counter-leading anti-leading other entry hazard setters, as it prevents them from getting entry their hazards up. Earthquake gives Aerodactyl perfect neutral coverage and allows it to hit a lot of its would-be counters (RC) such as Heatran hard, possibly OHKOing them. Aerodactyl can hit nearly all of its checks or counters hard with the right move, which is another one of its good characteristics.

Set Details
========

The givens EVs maximize Aerodactyl's power and speed. Aerodactyl has terrible bulk, so investing in it would waste EVs. Running a Jolly nature instead of an Adamant one is important to let Aerodactyl outspeed and OHKO Jolly Talonflame without getting burned by Will-O-Wisp, as well as outspeed Thundurus, another common threat. Focus Sash nearly guarantees that Aerodactyl will set Stealth Rock up and allows it to survive a hit if it Taunts a foe that turns out to be attacking, such as Ferrothorn. Besides, Aerodactyl will get OHKOed by almost any powerful neutral hit, so Focus Sash allows it to survive the attack and get another move off. Life Orb is useful as well because Aerodactyl's base 105 Attack is not impressive, so it really appreciates the power boost.

Usage Tips
========

Aerodactyl is usually a good choice for a lead, especially if it has Focus Sash, as it can toss Stealth Rock out early. If you do choose to lead with Aerodactyl, going for Stealth Rock or Taunt first is generally the smartest choice. Aerodactyl usually has terrible matchups against Magic Bounce users because they bounce back both Stealth Rock and Taunt and can either OHKO Aerodactyl in Mega Diancie's case or burn it with Will-O-Wisp in Mega Sableye's case; as such therefore, you should switch Aerodactyl out of them. However, if Aerodactyl is holding Life Orb, it does OHKO on Mega Diancie with Earthquake. Aerodactyl is usually a poor switch-in has trouble switching in because of its terrible bulk, but it can switch into Ground-type attacks during certain situations. You'll also want to avoid switching Aerodactyl in too often with Stealth Rock up because it loses a quarter of its health upon switching into it.

Team Options
========

Aerodactyl works excellently with entry hazard control because it is weak to Stealth Rock. Latios and Latias are great options, as they resist Electric- and Water-type attacks, which Aerodactyl is weak too. Spinners are particularly good teammates, as they allow Aerodactyl's entry hazards to remain on the field. Starmie and Mega Blastoise work very well, as they can also deal with some of Aerodactyl's biggest checks, such as bulky Ground-types, particularly Landorus-T. Excadrill is also a potential spinner. Grass-, Water-, and Ground-types such as Serperior, Quagsire and Landorus-T make for good partners too, as they cover its Aerodactyl's weaknesses to Water, Electric, and Rock and can help defeat its checks and counters. Prankster users such as Thundurus and Whimsicott are decent teammates because they beat a lot of threats to Aerodactyl, such as Sableye, Skarmory, and Quagsire. Defiant and Competitive users function perfectly with Aerodactyl, as they can deter Defog, snagging a free +2 boost to their Attack or +2 Special Attack upon the foe's attempt to remove entry hazards. Powerful Fire-types such as Heatran and Talonflame have great synergy on the offensive side with Aerodactyl; they deal with most of Aerodactyl's biggest checks, such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Ice Fang is a niche option, but it does offer a bit more coverage to hit Flying- and Ground-types super effectively and allows Aerodactyl to not to be setup bait for Landorus-T and Garchomp. Fire Fang is also an option, as it 2HKOes foes such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn; however, it really doesn't hit much else. Aqua Tail covers Heatran while also hitting Ground-types such as Landorus-T hard, but it's not as powerful and misses out on a lot of OHKOs. Choice Band is an option to turn Aerodactyl into a wallbreaker, but it is not recommended because Aerodactyl is too frail. Roost is an option, but again, due to Aerodactyl's terrible bulk it just won't be surviving enough hits for Roost to be viable in most situations. A Hone Claws set is worth a mention, but opportunities to set up are rare due to Aerodactyl's lack of bulk.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Physical Walls**: Aerodactyl dislikes dealing with physical walls, especially ones with Intimidate such as Landorus-T and ones with Rough Skin or Iron Barbs such as Garchomp and Ferrothorn, respectively. (unnecessary and likes to be overused) Mega Slowbro is also annoying for Aerodactyl to face, although it is somewhat Taunt bait; Jirachi is also a counter if Aerodactyl doesn't run Earthquake. Scizor, Tyranitar, and Porygon2 are able to either counter or check Aerodactyl.
(space)
**Status Conditions**: Aerodactyl obviously can't perform well when asleep, burned, or paralyzed. Prankster status spreaders are the biggest problems, namely Sableye and Whimsicott, but any other status spreader that survives a hit can cripple Aerodactyl with Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp.
(space)
**Priority Attackers**: Nearly every form of priority OHKOes or 2HKOes Aerodactyl. Bullet Punch, Water Shuriken, and Ice Shard will all OHKO Aerodactyl; common users include Scizor, Azumarill, and Weavile. Even Fake Out + Extreme Speed users will often KO Aerodactyl; in particular, Kangaskhan, Braviary, Stoutland, and Ursaring will get the 2HKO.

Last edited:

Josh

=P
ok
remove add (Capitalize / Fix) (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 3/3
[OVERVIEW]

Aerodactyl is one of the best Stealth Rock setters in STABmons; not only is it one of the fastest Pokemon in the metagame, but it also has decent offensive presence. In STABmons, Aerodactyl is able to make excellent use of Rock Head, as it can take advantage of two insanely powerful STAB attacks in Brave Bird and Head Smash. With its access to Earthquake, it has nearly perfect neutral coverage. Unfortunately, Aerodactyl is very frail and offers almost no defensive synergy, although it can switch into Ground-type attacks in certain situations. In addition, despite having very powerful STAB attacks, they're only coming off of a base 105 Attack stat, so they aren't insanely powerful don't hit insanely hard. Aerodactyl also loses to nearly all priority users (RC) and it has a weakness to Stealth Rock as well.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Due to Aerodactyl's extremely high Speed stat and possible Focus Sash, it is nearly guaranteed to set up Stealth Rock. Head Smash's excellent 150 Base Power makes up for Aerodactyl's average Attack stat. STABmons gives Aerodactyl access to a good Flying-type STAB attack in Brave Bird as well. Because Rock Head makes Aerodactyl immune to recoil damage, Brave Bird becomes a perfectly accurate, 120-Base (add hyphen) Power STAB move with no drawbacks. There are a few options for the fourth moveslot. Taunt is very useful for counter-leading anti-leading other entry hazard setters, as it prevents them from getting entry their hazards up. Earthquake gives Aerodactyl perfect neutral coverage and allows it to hit a lot of its would-be counters (RC) such as Heatran hard, possibly OHKOing them. Aerodactyl can hit nearly all of its checks or counters hard with the right move, which is another one of its good characteristics.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Aerodactyl is usually a good choice for a lead, especially if it has Focus Sash, as it can toss Stealth Rock out early. If you do choose to lead with Aerodactyl, going for Stealth Rock or Taunt first is generally the smartest choice. Aerodactyl usually has terrible matchups against Magic Bounce users because they bounce back both Stealth Rock and Taunt and can either OHKO Aerodactyl in Mega Diancie's case or burn it with Will-O-Wisp in Mega Sableye's case; as such therefore, you should switch Aerodactyl out of them. However, if Aerodactyl is holding Life Orb, it does OHKO on Mega Diancie with Earthquake. Aerodactyl is usually a poor switch-in has trouble switching in because of its terrible bulk, but it can switch into Ground-type attacks during certain situations. You'll also want to avoid switching Aerodactyl in too often with Stealth Rock up because it loses a quarter of its health upon switching into it.

Team Options
========

Aerodactyl works excellently with entry hazard control because it is weak to Stealth Rock. Latios and Latias are great options, as they resist Electric- and Water-type attacks, which Aerodactyl is weak too. Spinners are particularly good teammates, as they allow Aerodactyl's entry hazards to remain on the field. Starmie and Mega Blastoise work very well, as they can also deal with some of Aerodactyl's biggest checks, such as bulky Ground-types, particularly Landorus-T. Excadrill is also a potential spinner. Grass-, Water-, and Ground-types such as Serperior, Quagsire and Landorus-T make for good partners too, as they cover its Aerodactyl's weaknesses to Water, Electric, and Rock and can help defeat its checks and counters. Prankster users such as Thundurus and Whimsicott are decent teammates because they beat a lot of threats to Aerodactyl, such as Sableye, Skarmory, and Quagsire. Defiant and Competitive users function perfectly with Aerodactyl, as they can deter Defog, snagging a free +2 boost to their Attack or +2 Special Attack upon the foe's attempt to remove entry hazards. Powerful Fire-types such as Heatran and Talonflame have great synergy on the offensive side with Aerodactyl; they deal with most of Aerodactyl's biggest checks, such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Ice Fang is a niche option, but it does offer a bit more coverage to hit Flying- and Ground-types super effectively and allows Aerodactyl to not to be setup bait for Landorus-T and Garchomp. Fire Fang is also an option, as it 2HKOes foes such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn; however, it really doesn't hit much else. Aqua Tail covers Heatran while also hitting Ground-types such as Landorus-T hard, but it's not as powerful and misses out on a lot of OHKOs. Choice Band is an option to turn Aerodactyl into a wallbreaker, but it is not recommended because Aerodactyl is too frail. Roost is an option, but again, due to Aerodactyl's terrible bulk it just won't be surviving enough hits for Roost to be viable in most situations. A Hone Claws set is worth a mention, but opportunities to set up are rare due to Aerodactyl's lack of bulk.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Physical Walls**: Aerodactyl dislikes dealing with physical walls, especially ones with Intimidate such as Landorus-T and ones with Rough Skin or Iron Barbs such as Garchomp and Ferrothorn, respectively. (unnecessary and likes to be overused) Mega Slowbro is also annoying for Aerodactyl to face, although it is somewhat Taunt bait; Jirachi is also a counter if Aerodactyl doesn't run Earthquake. Scizor, Tyranitar, and Porygon2 are able to either counter or check Aerodactyl.
(space)
(space)
Thanks!

This is now ready to be uploaded Eevee General :)

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Everything is implemented, thanks. I know I have poor grammar, I understand having to have a 3rd check.

I didn't say OHKO because it's not a 1 hit KO obviously, but I didn't really think using 2HKO was a wise choice of words because it's sort of an OHKO in that Aerodactyl doesn't get an opportunity to move at all. It's also 2 seperate attacks combining to KO and break sash. That's why I worded it as KO rather than 2HKO.

As a side note, you said 'Aerodacty's' multiple times in your check rather than 'Aerodactyl's'. It's likely only an issue with your L key being unresponsive (clean it!) and obviously not a big deal, but just a heads up.
Understood. Also, "seriously" wasn't me expressing my frustration with that line; I was actually quite surprised to learn that the one-two punch of Fake Out + ESpeed is enough to KO Aerodactyl!

EV

Banned deucer.
Joshz it's important to actually calc this stuff if you're going to include it.

252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl: 49-58 (16.2 - 19.2%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl: 98-116 (32.5 - 38.5%) -- 98.4% chance to 3HKO
Total: 48.7 - 57.7%

252+ Atk Silk Scarf Stoutland Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl: 54-65 (17.9 - 21.5%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Stoutland Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl: 109-129 (36.2 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Total: 54.1 - 64.3%

252+ Atk Life Orb Braviary Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl: 64-75 (21.2 - 24.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Braviary Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl: 127-151 (42.1 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
Total: 63.3 - 75%

252+ Atk Silk Scarf Ursaring Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl: 61-72 (20.2 - 23.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Ursaring Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl: 123-144 (40.8 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Total: 61 - 71.7%

252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl: 76-90 (25.2 - 29.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl: 153-180 (50.8 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Total: 76 - 89.7%

In fact, none of them can 2HKO it with Fake Out + Extreme Speed. If Stealth Rock is present, only Ursaring with Guts already activated can guarantee the KO.

Also, Azumarill must be banded and get 3 hits with Water Shuriken. LO Ice Shard from Weavile does not KO (it runs Jolly.) I'm editing accordingly and uploading. Next time, please do the due diligence required when you make those kinds of statements.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)