Porygon2

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

DuckTales! Woo-oo!

[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2 has an amazing defensive ability in Trace, allowing it to use the foe's ability against it. It has great 85 / 90 / 95 bulk that is further augmented by Eviolite. Using Eviolite is a double-edged sword, however, as it means that Porygon2 lacks the passive recovery of Leftovers. It also lacks strong bulk without its Eviolite, meaning that it is severely crippled by losing it via Knock Off. Regardless, Porygon2 has access to a decent STAB move in Tri Attack and decent coverage options such as Ice Beam and Thunderbolt. It also has a great support movepool, with access to Thunder Wave, Toxic, and Recover, a reliable recovery move that allows Porygon2 to stay healthy throughout the match. Porygon2's typing is decent defensively due to only having one weakness, albeit a common one, but it isn't amazing due to its lack of resistances, only being immune to Ghost. Porygon2 is also very susceptible to status ailments and is setup fodder for bulky sweepers such as Snorlax, Calm Mind Reuniclus, and Suicune.

[SET]
name: Duck Tales (Defensive)
move 1: Recover
move 2: Tri Attack
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Thunder Wave / Toxic
item: Eviolite
ability: Trace
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Recover gives Porygon2 a reliable form of recovery to continue tanking hits. Tri Attack is an amazing STAB move, allowing Porygon2 to have a 20% chance to burn, paralyze, or freeze its foe. Ice Beam gives Porygon2 decent coverage alongside its STAB move, hitting Salamence and Hydreigon harder as well as Pokemon that resist Normal such as Mega Aerodactyl, Rhyperior, and Tyrantrum. Thunder Wave allows Porygon2 to hinder more offensive teams, while Toxic allows Porygon2 to wear down more defensive teams. Foul Play is an option to have an easier time against physical attackers, especially those that use setup moves, such as Swords Dance Doublade and Swords Dance Abomasnow. Thunderbolt hits Feraligatr harder than Tri Attack, as well as hitting Empoleon and retaining super effective coverage on Mega Aerodactyl.

Set Details
========

The EVs allow Porygon2 to have the greatest mixed bulk it can have, taking on specially offensive Salamence, Mega Sceptile, and Mega Houndoom while also being able to check physical attackers such as Feraligatr. A Calm nature allows Porygon2 to better check special attackers. Eviolite further augments Porygon2's bulk, allowing it to repeatedly tank hits throughout the match. Trace gives Porygon2 the ability to check defensive and offensive Pokemon alike. Tracing great abilities such as Flash Fire and Intimidate allows Porygon2 to have both offensive and defensive presence when checking the Pokemon it needs to wall. 12 Special Attack EVs secure the OHKO on Salamence with Ice Beam without Stealth Rock. A specific EV spread of 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD with a Bold nature allows Porygon2 to tank physical hits better while still retaining a good bit of special bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Porygon2 is used as a great blanket check to many threats such as Salamence, Hydreigon, and Feraligatr. However, don't overestimate its bulk or pressure it too much, as it can only take so much damage before being worn down. It also cannot reliably check Moxie Salamence, as it cannot Trace Intimidate to deter Salamence from setting up. Porygon2 must watch out for potential Knock Off users such as Gligar and Mandibuzz, as they can get rid of its Eviolite and compromise its bulk. Scout for moves that can shut down or 2HKO Porygon2 on Pokemon it normally walls, such as Taunt on Hydreigon and Focus Blast on Nidoqueen. Recover should be used often, as Porygon2 will usually move last. Porygon2 is a great pivot for moderately powerful attacks. Thunder Wave is all it can do to cripple slow setup sweepers such as Reuniclus, which can easily set up on Toxic variants of Porygon2.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that threaten Fighting-types as well as hit them super effectively, such as Florges and Crobat, are great partners; Florges can also get rid of status, which really cripples Porygon2, while Crobat can switch into Knock Off. Other clerics, such as Aromatisse and Vaporeon, can also help Porygon2 by getting rid of its status conditions. Entry hazard removers such as Forretress, Salamence, Gligar, and Crobat help keep Porygon2 alive, as entry hazards wear it down very quickly. Forretress can keep up momentum as well, while Gligar and Crobat can hit very hard. Gligar in particular has amazing defensive synergy with Porygon2, although both fear Knock Off from common Fighting-types. Grounded Poison-types such as Nidoqueen can absorb Toxic Spikes, which Porygon2 really hates. Nidoqueen also appreciates Porygon2's ability to slow down a lot of faster threats with Thunder Wave. Entry hazard support from Forretress, Qwilfish, or Nidoqueen helps Porygon2 wear down the opponent's team passively, as it can force a lot of switches thanks to its threatening status moves.

[SET]
name: Rubber Ducky (Offensive)
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Recover
move 3: Thunderbolt / Tri Attack
move 4: Ice Beam
ability: Download
nature: Quiet
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Trick Room allows Porygon2 to go first with its below average base 60 Speed. Recover gives Porygon2 a reliable form of recovery. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam allow Porygon2 to have near-perfect coverage, hitting everything in the tier for at least neutral damage bar Thick Fat Mamoswine. Thunderbolt hits bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Feraligatr, while Ice Beam hits Dragon- and Flying-types such as Salamence, Hydreigon, and Mega Aerodactyl. Tri Attack is a decent STAB option that allows Porygon2 to spread status ailments and hit neutral targets hard.

Set Details
========

A Quiet nature with a 0 Speed IV ensures that Porygon2 outspeeds as many Pokemon as possible under Trick Room. Download allows Porygon2 to possibly get a Special Attack boost and thus hit harder. Maximum HP and Special Attack EVs allow Porygon2 to tank as many hits as possible while hitting as hard as it can. Eviolite gives Porygon2 as much bulk as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Make sure to keep Porygon2 healthy so that it can continue to set up Trick Room throughout the match. Porygon2 must watch out for potential Knock Off users such as Gligar and Mandibuzz, as they can get rid of its Eviolite and compromise its bulk. Taunt users give Porygon2 a hard time, preventing it from using Recover and Trick Room. This set can set up Trick Room not only for itself but also for slow setup sweepers such as Nasty Plot Slowking and Swords Dance Doublade so that they can get around faster checks. This set should only be used on dedicated Trick Room teams, as Trick Room only has four turns to be utilized (three if Porygon2 switches out), so it can drain momentum from any team not dedicated to Trick Room.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that benefit from Trick Room, such as Pangoro, Mega Camerupt, Escavalier, Emboar, Hoopa, Machamp, Slowking, Reuniclus, and Mega Ampharos, can hit hard and outspeed most Pokemon under Trick Room. Secondary Trick Room setters such as Chandelure, Cresselia, Slowking, and Aromatisse are really helpful in keeping Trick Room up. Aromatisse has the added benefit of keeping Porygon2 healthy thanks to Aromatherapy and Wish. Entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Forretress is extremely helpful, as it helps wear down the opponent's team. Forretress also can spin away entry hazards, allowing Porygon2 to keep setting up Trick Room throughout the match.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Hidden Power Fire gives Porygon2 the ability to hit Forretress, Cobalion, Doublade, and Lucario harder than it can with its common coverage moves. Sadly, Cobalion, Doublade, and Lucario can set up on Porygon2, while Forretress can stack entry hazards against it. Psych Up gives Porygon2 a way to compete with Calm Mind sweepers that typically set up on it such as Suicune and Reuniclus; however, both of them have ways of beating Porygon2 anyway, with Roar in Suicune's case and Psyshock in Reuniclus's case. Porygon2 is already hard pressed for moveslots as well. Discharge gives Porygon2 a way to spread paralysis while retaining coverage on Empoleon and Feraligatr; however, Porygon2 is better off having a guaranteed chance at hindering them with Thunder Wave and then switching out. Magic Coat allows Porygon2 to bounce back Taunt and status moves that tend to cripple it. Again, though, Porygon2 suffers from four-moveslot syndrome and thus has a hard time finding a place to fit Magic Coat in.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fighting-types**: Heracross and Lucario can threaten Porygon2 with their super effective STAB moves. They also threaten a lot of Porygon2's common partners with their nearly impeccable coverage. Fighting-types also tend to carry Knock Off, which can further cripple Porygon2's bulk by removing its Eviolite.

**Knock Off and Trick Users**: Porygon2 hates losing its Eviolite and being locked into a move after being Tricked a Choice Scarf or Choice Band.

**Bulky Setup Sweepers**: Snorlax, Reuniclus, and Suicune can all set up on Porygon2 with ease, causing Porygon2 to be a momentum killer against these particular Pokemon. Reuniclus and Suicune both hate being paralyzed by the defensive set, though.

**Status Inducers**: Status ailments really cripple Porygon2, as it has no way to get rid of them itself and gets worn down easily.

**Taunt Users**: Crobat, Jellicent, and Hydreigon can force Porygon2 to not use Recover or Trick Room and whittle it down with their STAB moves.

Last edited:

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Fulfilling my promise to check the fuck out of this one so here I go (also count this as QC 1/3 if a QC member agrees):

Overview
  • I wouldn't mention Recover when mentioning support moves, as support moves generally refer to supporting the other Pokemon and Recover doesn't do that (if I'm wrong here though I apologize lol).
  • Definitely mention how it can fit on a variety of teams due to its ability to blanket check a lot of top threats.
  • Would mention its typing and how it's decent defensively due to the lack of weaknesses, but also mention how it isn't an amazing defensive typing due to the lack of resistances.
  • Would definitely mention it has a double-edged sword in having to use Eviolite to augment its bulk, as while Eviolite does boost Porygon2's defenses greatly, it also prevents Porygon2 from gaining passive recovery via Leftovers. I would also try to word the sentence to make sure it doesn't sound like people can use Leftovers on Porygon2 though, since Eviolite is much better on the 'mon.
First Set - Moves
  • Thunder Wave and Toxic both lack descriptions, even though they're listed on the set itself, while Foul Play and Thunderbolt both get descriptions despite not being mentioned on the set itself. Please fix this :(
  • Move order in descriptions should be the same, except have Thunder Wave and then Toxic in the middle of Foul Play and Ice Beam.
  • Would definitely change Foul Play's description to something along the lines of "is an option on Porygon2 to have an easier time against physical attackers, especially those that use setup moves, such as Swords Dance Doublade and Swords Dance Abomasnow." to give a general description of what Foul Play should be used for instead of just a couple examples that make it seem as if Foul Play should only be used for those two specific threats.
First Set - Set Details
  • Would reorder it to have the Nature being mentioned right after the EV spread and before the item.
  • Also would mention Trace and how benefits this set over Analytic and Download.
First Set - Usage Tips
  • I would definitely mention to not overestimate Porygon2's bulk and not pressure it to check too much on a single team.
  • I would definitely mention to scout for moves that can 2HKO Porygon2 or shut it down (Taunt) on Pokemon it normally walls, i.e Taunt on Hydreigon, Focus Blast on Nidoqueen (this is very legit).
First Set - Team Options
  • I would change the first bullet point to have it as "Pokemon that can resist Fighting-type attacks and hit Fighting-type Pokemon for super effective damage" or something like that, as it's not only important to threaten the Fighting-types, it's important for P2 to have teammates that can reliably switch-in on them.
  • Clerics, such as Vaporeon, need to get a mention, as they can remove status conditions from Porygon2, greatly lengthening its longevity.
Second Set - Moves
  • Tri Attack gets a description, despite not being mentioned on the set itself, while Ice Beam, which does get a mention, doesn't get a description. tsk tsk NV
Second Set - Set Details
  • This is more towards GP but I feel like saying "outspeeds" over "outslows" makes more sense considering the sentence is inclined towards it being under TR.
Second Set - Usage Tips
  • I would definitely mention the types of teams this set is supposed to be used on, so newer players don't get confused and use the set on wrong teams.
Second Set - Team Options
  • Would definitely change the second bullet point a bit to make it mention multiple TR setters beforehand, and then mentioning Aromatisse specifically for its unique attributes.
Other Options
  • The second bullet point should definitely be mentioned in Set Details of the first set as opposed to OO.
  • Definitely mention Psych Up.
  • Discharge could probably also get a mention here.
  • Probably Magic Coat as well tbh.
Checks & Counters
  • Knock Off.

Aight I'll go through the above check:

Overview
  • I wouldn't mention Recover when mentioning support moves, as support moves generally refer to supporting the other Pokemon and Recover doesn't do that (if I'm wrong here though I apologize lol).
  • Definitely mention how it can fit on a variety of teams due to its ability to blanket check a lot of top threats.
  • Would mention its typing and how it's decent defensively due to the lack of weaknesses, but also mention how it isn't an amazing defensive typing due to the lack of resistances.
  • Would definitely mention it has a double-edged sword in having to use Eviolite to augment its bulk, as while Eviolite does boost Porygon2's defenses greatly, it also prevents Porygon2 from gaining passive recovery via Leftovers. I would also try to word the sentence to make sure it doesn't sound like people can use Leftovers on Porygon2 though, since Eviolite is much better on the 'mon.
Recover should definitely stay in the intro as it plays a huge role in why P2 is able to so consistently check all of the threats it can, as opposed to stuff like Swampert and Doublade which are prone to getting worn down with no source of recovery. Reliable way of self healing is generally a large aspect of a defensive 'mon.

I'd say that Porygon2 really only fits on balance and maybe bulky offense and is usually surrounded with powerful offensive threats that appreciate the ability to fall back on P2 when needed. For example I could never see it being used on stall since it does nothing really to support the rest of its team in the form of hazard control, cleric support, or any of those things.

The other two points are good. Also, you still need to go over the several cons of Porygon2, including: vulnerability to status, major fodder for pretty much every bulky setup sweeper in the tier (Lax, Reuni, Cune etc), and reliance on Eviolite (if it gets removed that's way more crippling that say removing Leftovers from Suicune).

First Set
Good stuff. Mention Gligar and Salamence for partners specifically, both having been proven to be excellent partners by several players and both being able to provide Defog support. Don't forget about adding the descriptions of Toxic/Twave, as Kreme said, but Tbolt and FP are fine with just descriptions without being on the actual set. Talk about specifics of what Trace helps it do, such as check physical variants of Salamence better, wall most Chandelure's STABs, and copy Natural Cure off of Roserade.

I think we talked about this before, but Set Details should have a couple different EV spreads that let P2 check certain things better. For right now there should definitely be a Bold variant w/ mixed EVs listed in P2 along with examples of what this checks better (Scarf Mence, Feraligatr, Mega Sharpedo, Mamoswine) but struggles somewhat more against (Nido, Mega Blastoise, Mega Sceptile, LO Hydreigon)

Second Set
Again, Tri Attack is fine in just the description.

Other Options
All of that is good.

Checks & Counters
Also, bulky setup sweepers should definitely be detailed here.

NV let me know when you implement all this.

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Recover should definitely stay in the intro as it plays a huge role in why P2 is able to so consistently check all of the threats it can, as opposed to stuff like Swampert and Doublade which are prone to getting worn down with no source of recovery. Reliable way of self healing is generally a large aspect of a defensive 'mon.

I'd say that Porygon2 really only fits on balance and maybe bulky offense and is usually surrounded with powerful offensive threats that appreciate the ability to fall back on P2 when needed. For example I could never see it being used on stall since it does nothing really to support the rest of its team in the form of hazard control, cleric support, or any of those things.

The other two points are good. Also, you still need to go over the several cons of Porygon2, including: vulnerability to status, major fodder for pretty much every bulky setup sweeper in the tier (Lax, Reuni, Cune etc), and reliance on Eviolite (if it gets removed that's way more crippling that say removing Leftovers from Suicune).

Good stuff. Mention Gligar and Salamence for partners specifically, both having been proven to be excellent partners by several players and both being able to provide Defog support. Don't forget about adding the descriptions of Toxic/Twave, as Kreme said, but Tbolt and FP are fine with just descriptions without being on the actual set. Talk about specifics of what Trace helps it do, such as check physical variants of Salamence better, wall most Chandelure's STABs, and copy Natural Cure off of Roserade.

I think we talked about this before, but Set Details should have a couple different EV spreads that let P2 check certain things better. For right now there should definitely be a Bold variant w/ mixed EVs listed in P2 along with examples of what this checks better (Scarf Mence, Feraligatr, Mega Sharpedo, Mamoswine) but struggles somewhat more against (Nido, Mega Blastoise, Mega Sceptile, LO Hydreigon)

All of that is good.

Regarding Recover in the Overview, I should've reworded that better tbh, what I meant was to have Recover as a separate thing from support moves, but not remove it entirely. Anyhow, thanks for looking through it dodmen. Also forgot to mention this NV but Trick / Switcheroo should probably be mentioned in C&C; P2 hates both its Eviolite being removed and being locked into a move, especially with a Choice Scarf / Band.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Fulfilling my promise to check the fuck out of this one so here I go (also count this as QC 1/3 if a QC member agrees):

Overview
First Set - Moves
  • Thunder Wave and Toxic both lack descriptions, even though they're listed on the set itself, while Foul Play and Thunderbolt both get descriptions despite not being mentioned on the set itself. Please fix this :(
  • Move order in descriptions should be the same, except have Thunder Wave and then Toxic in the middle of Foul Play and Ice Beam.
  • Would definitely change Foul Play's description to something along the lines of "is an option on Porygon2 to have an easier time against physical attackers, especially those that use setup moves, such as Swords Dance Doublade and Swords Dance Abomasnow." to give a general description of what Foul Play should be used for instead of just a couple examples that make it seem as if Foul Play should only be used for those two specific threats.
First Set - Set Details
  • Would reorder it to have the Nature being mentioned right after the EV spread and before the item.
  • Also would mention Trace and how benefits this set over Analytic and Download.
First Set - Usage Tips
  • I would definitely mention to not overestimate Porygon2's bulk and not pressure it to check too much on a single team.
  • I would definitely mention to scout for moves that can 2HKO Porygon2 or shut it down (Taunt) on Pokemon it normally walls, i.e Taunt on Hydreigon, Focus Blast on Nidoqueen (this is very legit).
First Set - Team Options
  • I would change the first bullet point to have it as "Pokemon that can resist Fighting-type attacks and hit Fighting-type Pokemon for super effective damage" or something like that, as it's not only important to threaten the Fighting-types, it's important for P2 to have teammates that can reliably switch-in on them.
  • Clerics, such as Vaporeon, need to get a mention, as they can remove status conditions from Porygon2, greatly lengthening its longevity.
Second Set - Moves
  • Tri Attack gets a description, despite not being mentioned on the set itself, while Ice Beam, which does get a mention, doesn't get a description. tsk tsk NV
Second Set - Set Details
  • This is more towards GP but I feel like saying "outspeeds" over "outslows" makes more sense considering the sentence is inclined towards it being under TR.
Second Set - Usage Tips
  • I would definitely mention the types of teams this set is supposed to be used on, so newer players don't get confused and use the set on wrong teams.
Second Set - Team Options
  • Would definitely change the second bullet point a bit to make it mention multiple TR setters beforehand, and then mentioning Aromatisse specifically for its unique attributes.
Other Options
  • The second bullet point should definitely be mentioned in Set Details of the first set as opposed to OO.
  • Definitely mention Psych Up.
  • Discharge could probably also get a mention here.
  • Probably Magic Coat as well tbh.
Checks & Counters
  • Knock Off.

All of that is good.

Regarding Recover in the Overview, I should've reworded that better tbh, what I meant was to have Recover as a separate thing from support moves, but not remove it entirely. Anyhow, thanks for looking through it dodmen. Also forgot to mention this NV but Trick / Switcheroo should probably be mentioned in C&C; P2 hates both its Eviolite being removed and being locked into a move, especially with a Choice Scarf / Band.
All of this is implemented. Thanks you guys! :)

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I feel like Heracross and Lucario are better mentions for checks and counters seeing as the two of them are oftentimes more capable of busting through a lot of the common partners of P2. For Example, +2 Facade beating Florges, +2 Ice Punch beating Mence/Gligar, +2 ESpeed beating Crobat, etc. Mienshao is simply walled if it doesn't have HP Ice and Machamp mostly just prays for Confusion. Also, you forgot to mention Mence/Gligar specifically like dodmen mentioned D: (I also think Qwilfish could get a solid mention as a partner since P2 forces tons of switches and spikes + forcing switches is broken)

Also don't forget to add that physically defensive spread in Set Details I mentioned. Another nitpick is that the abilities you currently have when you talk about Trace aren't really the most useful ones (Dry Skin pokes don't use water attacks, Regen pokes status/Knock Off anyway, Jellicent Taunts and Wisps instead of Scald), so include Flash Fire and Intimidate instead.

Reactions: nv
alright, after sum Further Investigation from a certain Noober, the ev spread should probably be changed on deez - with 252 hp / 84 def / 20 spa / 96 spd with bold, you have the same amount of bulk as the current spread with 56 evs left over. would kind of like some other qc opinion, but it might be better for it to go into spd, seeing as how youd want it to come into lo hydrei sets for the most part, mainly taunt variants. will post some other findings tmrw : O

How does it have more bulk than the current spread? That spread has slightly more phys def but less spdef than the current one.

vs

Like I said, I'd like the main spread to stay as it currently is since it has more spdef to check the threats I listed (esp since P2 is often paired with Salamence, Gligar, and other phys walls), with an alternative Bold nature spread in Set Details (we could use the one Bouff provided with the rest maybe thrown into phys def since that would focus on checking physical threats better).

So to summarize:
248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD + Calm on the set
248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD + Bold in Set Details

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Just a small thing, but 248 HP EVs don't help with residual damage in this case.

248 EVs: 373/8=46.625, rounded to 46 damage taken from SR;

252 EVs: 374/8=46.75, also rounded to 46 damage taken from SR.

252 is slightly more efficient because it improves both defenses, although the stat the EV is taken out of will get slightly weaker. Not a huge deal but 252 HP is probably better.

yeah, so uh, i mustve hallucinated or something because i couldve sworn the spread on this had 112 hp, but i guess not cause it doesnt say it in da edit history..

regardless, yeah dodmen's spread is better but i also agree wit leo's ev suggestion. as for other stuff, i would mention gligar in team options for the first set, as well as reuni for team options in the tr set

nv

The Lost Age
How does it have more bulk than the current spread? That spread has slightly more phys def but less spdef than the current one.

vs

Like I said, I'd like the main spread to stay as it currently is since it has more spdef to check the threats I listed (esp since P2 is often paired with Salamence, Gligar, and other phys walls), with an alternative Bold nature spread in Set Details (we could use the one Bouff provided with the rest maybe thrown into phys def since that would focus on checking physical threats better).

So to summarize:
248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD + Calm on the set
248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD + Bold in Set Details
Just a small thing, but 248 HP EVs don't help with residual damage in this case.

248 EVs: 373/8=46.625, rounded to 46 damage taken from SR;

252 EVs: 374/8=46.75, also rounded to 46 damage taken from SR.

252 is slightly more efficient because it improves both defenses, although the stat the EV is taken out of will get slightly weaker. Not a huge deal but 252 HP is probably better.
yeah, so uh, i mustve hallucinated or something because i couldve sworn the spread on this had 112 hp, but i guess not cause it doesnt say it in da edit history..

regardless, yeah dodmen's spread is better but i also agree wit leo's ev suggestion. as for other stuff, i would mention gligar in team options for the first set, as well as reuni for team options in the tr set
All of this has been implemented, thank you guys so much! :)

Nice work, QC 1/3

Edit: Guess Trick+Switcheroo could go with Knock Off in C&C as "Loss of Eviolite" or something just to be concise, up to you though.

Last edited:

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Duck Tales
  • Mention how Pory2 can't check Moxie DD Mence because no Intimidate drop
  • Mention how Thunder Wave is like all it can do against a Reuniclus
  • Under team options Gligar should be stated as having good defensive synergy and omfuga puts them on every team
  • Maybe have Florges as a cleric over Mega Ampharos because Florges resists Fighting and stuff and Mega Ampharos never runs Heal Bell and it's only mentioned once in the analysis in a weird spot where it doesn't make sense so I'll probably change that while you're reading this
Rubber Ducky
  • BoltBeam doesn't hit the entire tier for neutral coverage because we have Mamoswine which has Thick Fat so it kinda resists it you uneducated oaf :P
  • I'm not really sure about mentioning Doublade as a beneficiary of Trick Room because it has three turns from when it gets in but if it sets up it can only attack twice before Trick Room goes away. Might be just me though
  • Team Options may want some Pokemon with good defensive synergy because Pory2 could still be used as a not as bulky pivot but can still sort of check things once or twice

I would definitely mention in C&C how Reuniclus hates being paralyzed by the defensive set

Otherwise good work NV

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Rubber Ducky
  • Mention that p2 is one of a couple TR setters who doesn't get manhandled by Dark moves (knock off withstanding)
  • You say run it on Dedicated TR but then mention Crobat as a partner, pretty counter intuitive imo. Take out Crobat, Forre is an okay partner but more in a hazard stacking capacity rather than removal.
  • I would want to see Tri Attack get a main slash over Tbolt but I also haven't used P2 in a long time. The last time I used it was on the Belly Room Slowking team but I recall several times where P2 kinda just ran over everything with STAB Tri Attack with a download boost.
  • Like Ununhexium said, more relevant partners like Pangoro, Mega Camerupt, Escavalier, Emboar, and even Hoopa nowadays.
Duck Tales
  • Take out Ampharos mention as heal beller, that set is shit and has been shit for awhile now.
  • Mention Florges and Aromatisse as better Clerics since they handle fighting types
Fix these and QC 2/3 :]

nv

The Lost Age
Duck Tales
  • Mention how Pory2 can't check Moxie DD Mence because no Intimidate drop
  • Mention how Thunder Wave is like all it can do against a Reuniclus
  • Under team options Gligar should be stated as having good defensive synergy and omfuga puts them on every team
  • Maybe have Florges as a cleric over Mega Ampharos because Florges resists Fighting and stuff and Mega Ampharos never runs Heal Bell and it's only mentioned once in the analysis in a weird spot where it doesn't make sense so I'll probably change that while you're reading this
Rubber Ducky
  • BoltBeam doesn't hit the entire tier for neutral coverage because we have Mamoswine which has Thick Fat so it kinda resists it you uneducated oaf :P
  • I'm not really sure about mentioning Doublade as a beneficiary of Trick Room because it has three turns from when it gets in but if it sets up it can only attack twice before Trick Room goes away. Might be just me though
  • Team Options may want some Pokemon with good defensive synergy because Pory2 could still be used as a not as bulky pivot but can still sort of check things once or twice

I would definitely mention in C&C how Reuniclus hates being paralyzed by the defensive set

Otherwise good work NV
Rubber Ducky
  • Mention that p2 is one of a couple TR setters who doesn't get manhandled by Dark moves (knock off withstanding)
  • You say run it on Dedicated TR but then mention Crobat as a partner, pretty counter intuitive imo. Take out Crobat, Forre is an okay partner but more in a hazard stacking capacity rather than removal.
  • I would want to see Tri Attack get a main slash over Tbolt but I also haven't used P2 in a long time. The last time I used it was on the Belly Room Slowking team but I recall several times where P2 kinda just ran over everything with STAB Tri Attack with a download boost.
  • Like Ununhexium said, more relevant partners like Pangoro, Mega Camerupt, Escavalier, Emboar, and even Hoopa nowadays.
Duck Tales
  • Take out Ampharos mention as heal beller, that set is shit and has been shit for awhile now.
  • Mention Florges and Aromatisse as better Clerics since they handle fighting types
Fix these and QC 2/3 :]
Fixed all of these except YABO's mention of a slash for Tri Attack as dodmen suggested to leave it in Moves so for right now, unless dodmen agrees, Imma leave it in Moves. Onto writing this!

Tri Attack slash is fine actually, YABO's right about it being super spammable and annoying to switch into.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think the Overview sounds a bit repetitive. You've used the words amazing and also several times, often unnecessarily. Can you make it sound a little more fluid? As an example, you can take the phrase "amazing offensive movepool" out of the sentence "It has access to an amazing offensive movepool with a decent STAB move in Tri Attack..." and replace "Recover is an amazing move as well" with "Recover is a reliable recovery move that allows Porygon2 to stay healthy throughout the match.". You can also combine the last two sentences to "Porygon2 is also very susceptible to status and is setup fodder for bulky sweepers such as Snorlax, Calm Mind Reuniclus, and Suicune."

A bit nitpicky but it makes for better reading. Everything else looks great though :)

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add
Remove
Comment

[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2 has an amazing defensive ability in Trace, allowing it to use the foe's abilities against themselves it. It has great 85 / 90 / 95 bulk which that is further augmented by Eviolite. Using Eviolite is a double-edged sword, however, as it means that Porygon2 lacks a way to the passively recovery of via Leftovers. It also lacks the strong (needed something more specific, but no matter how I change it, it contradicts with what you just said about its 85/90/95 bulk) bulk without its Eviolite, meaning that it is severely crippled by losing it via Knock Off. It has access to a decent STAB move in Tri Attack and decent coverage options such as Ice Beam and Thunderbolt. Porygon2 also has a great support movepool, with access to Thunder Wave, Toxic, and Recover. Recover is a reliable recovery move that allows Porygon2 to stay healthy throughout the match. Porygon2's typing is decent defensively due to only have having one weakness, albeit a common one, but it isn't an amazing defensive typing due to the its lack of resistances, only being immune to Ghost. Porygon2 is also very susceptible to status ailments and is setup fodder for bulky sweepers such as Snorlax, Calm Mind Reuniclus, and Suicune.

[SET]
name: Duck Tales (Defensive) (If you're gonna do a silly name, it needs a serious name in parentheses afterward)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Recover gives Porygon2 a reliable form of recovery to continue tanking hits. Tri Attack is an amazing STAB move, allowing Porygon2 to have a 20% chance to burn, paralyze, or freeze its opponent foe. Ice Beam allows Porygon2 to have decent coverage alongside its STAB move, hitting Salamence and Hydreigon harder as well as Pokemon that resist Normal-resists such as Mega Aerodactyl, Rhyperior, and Tyrantrum. Thunder Wave allows Porygon2 to hinder more offensive teams, (AC) while Toxic allows Porygon2 to wear down more defensive teams. Foul Play is an option on Porygon2 to have an easier time against physical attackers, especially those that use setup moves, such as Swords Dance Doublade and Swords Dance Abomasnow. Thunderbolt hits Feraligatr harder than Tri Attack as well as hitting Empoleon while still hitting Mega Aerodactyl super effectively.

Set Details
========

The EVs allow Porygon2 to have the greatest mixed bulk it can have, taking on specially offensive Salamence, Mega Sceptile, and Mega Houndoom while also being able to check physical attackers such as Feraligatr. A Calm nature allows Porygon2 to better check special attackers. Eviolite further augments Porygon2's bulk, allowing it to repeatedly tank hits throughout the match. Trace is a really good ability that gives Porygon2 the ability to check defensive Pokemon and offensive Pokemon alike. Tracing great abilities such as Flash Fire and Intimidate allows Porygon2 to have both offensive and defensive presence when checking the Pokemon it needs to wall. 12 Special Attack EVs secure the OHKO on Salamence with Ice Beam without Stealth Rock. A specific EV spread of 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD with a Bold nature allows Porygon2 to tank physical hits better while still retaining a good bit of special bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Porygon2 is used as a great blanket check to many threats such as Salamence, Hydreigon, and Feraligatr. However, don't overestimate its bulk or pressure it too much, (AC) as it can only take so much damage before being worn down. It also cannot reliably check Moxie Salamence, (AC) as it cannot Trace Intimidate to deter Salamence from setting up. Porygon2 must watch out for potential Knock Off users such as Gligar and Mandibuzz, (AC) as they can get rid of its Eviolite and compromise its bulk. Scout for moves that can shut down or 2HKO Porygon2 or shut it down on Pokemon it normally walls, such as Taunt on Hydreigon or and Focus Blast on Nidoqueen. Recover should be used often, as Porygon2 will usually move last. Porygon2 is a great pivot for moderately powerful attacks. Thunder Wave is all it can do to cripple slow setup sweepers such as Reuniclus, who which can easily set up on Toxic variants of Porygon2.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that threaten Fighting-types as well as hit them super effectively, such as Florges and Crobat, are great partners, (AC) as both can threaten Fighting-types (redundant) while Florges can gets rid of status ailments, which really cripples Porygon2 and can tank Fighting-types aimed at Porygon2, while Crobat tanks Fighting-types and can switch into Knock Offs while threatening Fighting-types with their STAB moves. Clerics Other clerics, such as Florges, (don't really have to mention it again) Aromatisse, (RC) and Vaporeon, can also help Porygon2 by getting rid of its status conditions, which really cripples it. Entry hazard removers such as Forretress, Salamence, Gligar, and Crobat help keep Porygon2 alive, (AC) as entry hazards wear it down very quickly. Forretress can and keep up momentum in the former's case or hit very hard in the latter two's case as well, while Gligar and Crobat (Should you mention Salamence here?) can hit very hard. Gligar in particular has amazing defensive synergy with Porygon2, (AC) although both fear Knock Off from common Fighting-types. Grounded Poison-types such as Nidoqueen can absorb Toxic Spikes, which Porygon2 really hates. Nidoqueen also appreciate's Porygon2's ability to slow down a lot of faster threats with Thunder Wave. Entry hazard support from Forretress, Qwilfish, or Nidoqueen helps Porygon2 wear down the opponent's team passively, (AC) as it can force a lot of switches thanks to its threatening status moves.

[SET]
IVs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Trick Room allows Porygon2 to go first with its below average base 60 Speed stat. Recover gives Porygon2 a reliable form of recovery. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam allows Porygon2 to have BoltBeam near-perfect coverage, hitting everything in the tier for at least neutral damage bar Thick Fat Mamoswine. Thunderbolt hits bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Feraligatr, (AC) while Ice Beam hits Dragon- and Flying-types such as Salamence, Hydreigon, and Mega Aerodactyl. Tri Attack is a decent STAB option which that allows Porygon2 to spread status ailments and hit hard on neutral targets hard.

Set Details
========

A Quiet nature with 0 Speed IVs ensures that Porygon2 outspeeds as many Pokemon as possible under Trick Room. Download allows Porygon2 to possibly get a Special Attack boost, (RC) and thus hitting harder with its BoltBeam coverage. Maximum HP and Special Attack EVs allows Porygon2 to tank as many hits as possible while hitting as hard as it can. Eviolite is the item of choice as it gives Porygon2 as much bulk as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Make sure to keep Porygon2 healthy so that it can continue to set up Trick Room throughout the match. Porygon2 must watch out for potential Knock Off users such as Gligar and Mandibuzz, (AC) as they can get rid of its Eviolite and compromise its bulk. Taunt users give Porygon2 a hard time, (AC) as it not only can it not only recover use Recover, but it cannot set up Trick Room either. This set can not only set up Trick Room for itself, but set it up also for slow setup sweepers such as Nasty Plot Slowking or and Swords Dance Doublade so that they can get around faster checks. This set should only be used on dedicated Trick Room teams, (AC) as Trick Room only has four turns to abuse, be utilized (three if you Porygon2 switches out), and as such so it can drain momentum from any team not dedicated to Trick Room.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that benefit from Trick Room, (AC) such as Pangoro, Mega Camerupt, Escavalier, Emboar, Hoopa, Machamp, Slowking, Reuniclus, and Mega Ampharos, are great partners as they can hit hard and outspeed most Pokemon under Trick Room. Secondary Trick Room setters such as Chandelure, Cresselia, Slowking, (AC) and Aromatisse are really helpful in keeping Trick Room up. Aromatisse has the added benefit as well by of keeping Porygon2 healthy thanks to Aromatherapy and Wish. Entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Forretress are is extremely helpful, (AC) as it helps wear down the opponent's team. Forretress also can spin away entry hazards, (AC) allowing Porygon2 to keep setting up Trick Room throughout the match.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Hidden Power Fire gives Porygon2 the ability to hit Forretress, Cobalion, Doublade, and Lucario harder than its common coverage moves. Sadly, these mons still threaten Porygon2 by setting up in Cobalion, Doublade, and Lucario's cases or can set up on Porygon2, while Forretress can stack entry hazards in Forretress's case against it. Psych Up gives Porygon2 a way to compete with Calm Mind sweepers that typically set up on it such as Suicune and Reuniclus; however, both of them have ways of beating Porygon2 still anyway, with Roar in Suicune's case and Psyshock in Reuniclus's case. Porygon2 is also already hard pressed for moveslots as well. Discharge gives Porygon2 a way to spread paralysis as well as while retaining coverage on Empoleon and Feraligatr; however, Porygon2 is better off having a guaranteed chance at hindering them with Thunder Wave and then switching out. Magic Coat allows Porygon2 to bounce back Taunts and status moves that tend to cripple it. Again, though, Porygon2 suffers from 4MSS four-moveslot syndrome and as such thus has a hard time finding a place to fit Magic Coat in.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fighting-types**: Heracross and Lucario can threaten Porygon2 with their super effective STAB moves. They also threaten a lot of Porygon2's common partners with their nearly impeccable coverage. Fighting-types also tend to also carry Knock Off, which can further cripple Porygon2's bulk, as it loses by removing its Eviolite.

**Loss of Eviolite Knock Off and Trick users**: Porygon2 hates losing its Eviolite and being locked into a move thanks to after being Tricked a Choice Scarf or Choice Band; Knock Off really hinders Porygon2 as it loses its Eviolite, rendering its bulk to be less than superb.

**Bulky Setup Sweepers**: Snorlax, Reuniclus, and Suicune all can all set up on Porygon2 with ease, causing Porygon2 to be a "momentum sucker" killer against these particular Pokemon. Reuniclus and Suicune both hate being paralyzed by the defensive set, (AC) though.

**Status Inducers**: Status ailments really cripples Porygon2, (AC) as it has no way to get rid of it them itself and Porygon2 gets worn down easily.

**Taunt Users**: Crobat, Jellicent, (AC) and Hydreigon can allow force Porygon2 to not use Recover or Trick Room and whittle it down with their STAB moves.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
Add
Remove
Comment

[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2 has an amazing defensive ability in Trace, allowing it to use the foe's abilities against themselves it. It has great 85 / 90 / 95 bulk which that is further augmented by Eviolite. Using Eviolite is a double-edged sword, however, as it means that Porygon2 lacks a way to the passively recovery of via Leftovers. It also lacks the strong (needed something more specific, but no matter how I change it, it contradicts with what you just said about its 85/90/95 bulk) bulk without its Eviolite, meaning that it is severely crippled by losing it via Knock Off. It has access to a decent STAB move in Tri Attack and decent coverage options such as Ice Beam and Thunderbolt. Porygon2 also has a great support movepool, with access to Thunder Wave, Toxic, and Recover. Recover is a reliable recovery move that allows Porygon2 to stay healthy throughout the match. Porygon2's typing is decent defensively due to only have having one weakness, albeit a common one, but it isn't an amazing defensive typing due to the its lack of resistances, only being immune to Ghost. Porygon2 is also very susceptible to status ailments and is setup fodder for bulky sweepers such as Snorlax, Calm Mind Reuniclus, and Suicune.

[SET]
name: Duck Tales (Defensive) (If you're gonna do a silly name, it needs a serious name in parentheses afterward)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Recover gives Porygon2 a reliable form of recovery to continue tanking hits. Tri Attack is an amazing STAB move, allowing Porygon2 to have a 20% chance to burn, paralyze, or freeze its opponent foe. Ice Beam allows Porygon2 to have decent coverage alongside its STAB move, hitting Salamence and Hydreigon harder as well as Pokemon that resist Normal-resists such as Mega Aerodactyl, Rhyperior, and Tyrantrum. Thunder Wave allows Porygon2 to hinder more offensive teams, (AC) while Toxic allows Porygon2 to wear down more defensive teams. Foul Play is an option on Porygon2 to have an easier time against physical attackers, especially those that use setup moves, such as Swords Dance Doublade and Swords Dance Abomasnow. Thunderbolt hits Feraligatr harder than Tri Attack as well as hitting Empoleon while still hitting Mega Aerodactyl super effectively.

Set Details
========

The EVs allow Porygon2 to have the greatest mixed bulk it can have, taking on specially offensive Salamence, Mega Sceptile, and Mega Houndoom while also being able to check physical attackers such as Feraligatr. A Calm nature allows Porygon2 to better check special attackers. Eviolite further augments Porygon2's bulk, allowing it to repeatedly tank hits throughout the match. Trace is a really good ability that gives Porygon2 the ability to check defensive Pokemon and offensive Pokemon alike. Tracing great abilities such as Flash Fire and Intimidate allows Porygon2 to have both offensive and defensive presence when checking the Pokemon it needs to wall. 12 Special Attack EVs secure the OHKO on Salamence with Ice Beam without Stealth Rock. A specific EV spread of 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD with a Bold nature allows Porygon2 to tank physical hits better while still retaining a good bit of special bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Porygon2 is used as a great blanket check to many threats such as Salamence, Hydreigon, and Feraligatr. However, don't overestimate its bulk or pressure it too much, (AC) as it can only take so much damage before being worn down. It also cannot reliably check Moxie Salamence, (AC) as it cannot Trace Intimidate to deter Salamence from setting up. Porygon2 must watch out for potential Knock Off users such as Gligar and Mandibuzz, (AC) as they can get rid of its Eviolite and compromise its bulk. Scout for moves that can shut down or 2HKO Porygon2 or shut it down on Pokemon it normally walls, such as Taunt on Hydreigon or and Focus Blast on Nidoqueen. Recover should be used often, as Porygon2 will usually move last. Porygon2 is a great pivot for moderately powerful attacks. Thunder Wave is all it can do to cripple slow setup sweepers such as Reuniclus, who which can easily set up on Toxic variants of Porygon2.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that threaten Fighting-types as well as hit them super effectively, such as Florges and Crobat, are great partners, (AC) as both can threaten Fighting-types (redundant) while Florges can gets rid of status ailments, which really cripples Porygon2 and can tank Fighting-types aimed at Porygon2, while Crobat tanks Fighting-types and can switch into Knock Offs while threatening Fighting-types with their STAB moves. Clerics Other clerics, such as Florges, (don't really have to mention it again) Aromatisse, (RC) and Vaporeon, can also help Porygon2 by getting rid of its status conditions, which really cripples it. Entry hazard removers such as Forretress, Salamence, Gligar, and Crobat help keep Porygon2 alive, (AC) as entry hazards wear it down very quickly. Forretress can and keep up momentum in the former's case or hit very hard in the latter two's case as well, while Gligar and Crobat (Should you mention Salamence here?) can hit very hard. Gligar in particular has amazing defensive synergy with Porygon2, (AC) although both fear Knock Off from common Fighting-types. Grounded Poison-types such as Nidoqueen can absorb Toxic Spikes, which Porygon2 really hates. Nidoqueen also appreciate's Porygon2's ability to slow down a lot of faster threats with Thunder Wave. Entry hazard support from Forretress, Qwilfish, or Nidoqueen helps Porygon2 wear down the opponent's team passively, (AC) as it can force a lot of switches thanks to its threatening status moves.

[SET]
IVs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Trick Room allows Porygon2 to go first with its below average base 60 Speed stat. Recover gives Porygon2 a reliable form of recovery. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam allows Porygon2 to have BoltBeam near-perfect coverage, hitting everything in the tier for at least neutral damage bar Thick Fat Mamoswine. Thunderbolt hits bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Feraligatr, (AC) while Ice Beam hits Dragon- and Flying-types such as Salamence, Hydreigon, and Mega Aerodactyl. Tri Attack is a decent STAB option which that allows Porygon2 to spread status ailments and hit hard on neutral targets hard.

Set Details
========

A Quiet nature with 0 Speed IVs ensures that Porygon2 outspeeds as many Pokemon as possible under Trick Room. Download allows Porygon2 to possibly get a Special Attack boost, (RC) and thus hitting harder with its BoltBeam coverage. Maximum HP and Special Attack EVs allows Porygon2 to tank as many hits as possible while hitting as hard as it can. Eviolite is the item of choice as it gives Porygon2 as much bulk as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Make sure to keep Porygon2 healthy so that it can continue to set up Trick Room throughout the match. Porygon2 must watch out for potential Knock Off users such as Gligar and Mandibuzz, (AC) as they can get rid of its Eviolite and compromise its bulk. Taunt users give Porygon2 a hard time, (AC) as it not only can it not only recover use Recover, but it cannot set up Trick Room either. This set can not only set up Trick Room for itself, but set it up also for slow setup sweepers such as Nasty Plot Slowking or and Swords Dance Doublade so that they can get around faster checks. This set should only be used on dedicated Trick Room teams, (AC) as Trick Room only has four turns to abuse, be utilized (three if you Porygon2 switches out), and as such so it can drain momentum from any team not dedicated to Trick Room.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that benefit from Trick Room, (AC) such as Pangoro, Mega Camerupt, Escavalier, Emboar, Hoopa, Machamp, Slowking, Reuniclus, and Mega Ampharos, are great partners as they can hit hard and outspeed most Pokemon under Trick Room. Secondary Trick Room setters such as Chandelure, Cresselia, Slowking, (AC) and Aromatisse are really helpful in keeping Trick Room up. Aromatisse has the added benefit as well by of keeping Porygon2 healthy thanks to Aromatherapy and Wish. Entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Forretress are is extremely helpful, (AC) as it helps wear down the opponent's team. Forretress also can spin away entry hazards, (AC) allowing Porygon2 to keep setting up Trick Room throughout the match.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Hidden Power Fire gives Porygon2 the ability to hit Forretress, Cobalion, Doublade, and Lucario harder than its common coverage moves. Sadly, these mons still threaten Porygon2 by setting up in Cobalion, Doublade, and Lucario's cases or can set up on Porygon2, while Forretress can stack entry hazards in Forretress's case against it. Psych Up gives Porygon2 a way to compete with Calm Mind sweepers that typically set up on it such as Suicune and Reuniclus; however, both of them have ways of beating Porygon2 still anyway, with Roar in Suicune's case and Psyshock in Reuniclus's case. Porygon2 is also already hard pressed for moveslots as well. Discharge gives Porygon2 a way to spread paralysis as well as while retaining coverage on Empoleon and Feraligatr; however, Porygon2 is better off having a guaranteed chance at hindering them with Thunder Wave and then switching out. Magic Coat allows Porygon2 to bounce back Taunts and status moves that tend to cripple it. Again, though, Porygon2 suffers from 4MSS four-moveslot syndrome and as such thus has a hard time finding a place to fit Magic Coat in.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fighting-types**: Heracross and Lucario can threaten Porygon2 with their super effective STAB moves. They also threaten a lot of Porygon2's common partners with their nearly impeccable coverage. Fighting-types also tend to also carry Knock Off, which can further cripple Porygon2's bulk, as it loses by removing its Eviolite.

**Loss of Eviolite Knock Off and Trick users**: Porygon2 hates losing its Eviolite and being locked into a move thanks to after being Tricked a Choice Scarf or Choice Band; Knock Off really hinders Porygon2 as it loses its Eviolite, rendering its bulk to be less than superb.

**Bulky Setup Sweepers**: Snorlax, Reuniclus, and Suicune all can all set up on Porygon2 with ease, causing Porygon2 to be a "momentum sucker" killer against these particular Pokemon. Reuniclus and Suicune both hate being paralyzed by the defensive set, (AC) though.

**Status Inducers**: Status ailments really cripples Porygon2, (AC) as it has no way to get rid of it them itself and Porygon2 gets worn down easily.

**Taunt Users**: Crobat, Jellicent, (AC) and Hydreigon can allow force Porygon2 to not use Recover or Trick Room and whittle it down with their STAB moves.

GP 1/2
Implemented! Thanks Snobalt :)

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
:heart:
GP 2/2

not
only
but
also
[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2 has an amazing defensive ability in Trace, allowing it to use the foe's abilities ability against it. It has great 85 / 90 / 95 bulk that is further augmented by Eviolite. Using Eviolite is a double-edged sword, however, as it means that Porygon2 lacks the passive recovery of Leftovers. It also lacks strong bulk without its Eviolite, meaning that it is severely crippled by losing it via Knock Off. Regardless, Porygon2 It has access to a decent STAB move in Tri Attack and decent coverage options such as Ice Beam and Thunderbolt. Porygon2 It also has a great support movepool, with access to Thunder Wave, Toxic, and Recover. Recover is, (AC) a reliable recovery move that allows Porygon2 to stay healthy throughout the match. Porygon2's typing is decent defensively due to only having one weakness, albeit a common one, but it isn't amazing due to its lack of resistances, only being immune to Ghost. Porygon2 is also very susceptible to status ailments and is setup fodder for bulky sweepers such as Snorlax, Calm Mind Reuniclus, and Suicune.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Recover gives Porygon2 a reliable form of recovery to continue tanking hits. Tri Attack is an amazing STAB move, allowing Porygon2 to have a 20% chance to burn, paralyze, or freeze its foe. Ice Beam gives allows Porygon2 to have decent coverage alongside its STAB move, hitting Salamence and Hydreigon harder as well as Pokemon that resist Normal such as Mega Aerodactyl, Rhyperior, and Tyrantrum. Thunder Wave allows Porygon2 to hinder more offensive teams, while Toxic allows Porygon2 to wear down more defensive teams. Foul Play is an option to have an easier time against physical attackers, especially those that use setup moves, such as Swords Dance Doublade and Swords Dance Abomasnow. Thunderbolt hits Feraligatr harder than Tri Attack, (AC) as well as hitting Empoleon and retaining super effective coverage on while still hitting Mega Aerodactyl super effectively.

Set Details
========

The EVs allow Porygon2 to have the greatest mixed bulk it can have, taking on specially offensive Salamence, Mega Sceptile, and Mega Houndoom while also being able to check physical attackers such as Feraligatr. A Calm nature allows Porygon2 to better check special attackers. Eviolite further augments Porygon2's bulk, allowing it to repeatedly tank hits throughout the match. Trace gives Porygon2 the ability to check defensive and offensive Pokemon alike. Tracing great abilities such as Flash Fire and Intimidate allows Porygon2 to have both offensive and defensive presence when checking the Pokemon it needs to wall. 12 Special Attack EVs secure the OHKO on Salamence with Ice Beam without Stealth Rock. A specific EV spread of 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD with a Bold nature allows Porygon2 to tank physical hits better while still retaining a good bit of special bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Porygon2 is used as a great blanket check to many threats such as Salamence, Hydreigon, and Feraligatr. However, don't overestimate its bulk or pressure it too much, as it can only take so much damage before being worn down. It also cannot reliably check Moxie Salamence, as it cannot Trace Intimidate to deter Salamence from setting up. Porygon2 must watch out for potential Knock Off users such as Gligar and Mandibuzz, as they can get rid of its Eviolite and compromise its bulk. Scout for moves that can shut down or 2HKO Porygon2 on Pokemon it normally walls, such as Taunt on Hydreigon and Focus Blast on Nidoqueen. Recover should be used often, as Porygon2 will usually move last. Porygon2 is a great pivot for moderately powerful attacks. Thunder Wave is all it can do to cripple slow setup sweepers such as Reuniclus, which can easily set up on Toxic variants of Porygon2.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that threaten Fighting-types as well as hit them super effectively, such as Florges and Crobat, are great partners, while; (ASC) Florges can also get rid of status, which really cripples Porygon2, while Crobat can switch into Knock Off. Other clerics, such as Aromatisse and Vaporeon, can also help Porygon2 by getting rid of its status conditions. Entry hazard removers such as Forretress, Salamence, Gligar, and Crobat help keep Porygon2 alive, as entry hazards wear it down very quickly. Forretress can keep up momentum as well, while Gligar and Crobat can hit very hard. Gligar in particular has amazing defensive synergy with Porygon2, although both fear Knock Off from common Fighting-types. Grounded Poison-types such as Nidoqueen can absorb Toxic Spikes, which Porygon2 really hates. Nidoqueen also appreciates Porygon2's ability to slow down a lot of faster threats with Thunder Wave. Entry hazard support from Forretress, Qwilfish, or Nidoqueen helps Porygon2 wear down the opponent's team passively, as it can force a lot of switches thanks to its threatening status moves.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Trick Room allows Porygon2 to go first with its below average base 60 Speed. Recover gives Porygon2 a reliable form of recovery. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam allow Porygon2 to have near-perfect coverage, hitting everything in the tier for at least neutral damage bar Thick Fat Mamoswine. Thunderbolt hits bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Feraligatr, while Ice Beam hits Dragon- and Flying-types such as Salamence, Hydreigon, and Mega Aerodactyl. Tri Attack is a decent STAB option that allows Porygon2 to spread status ailments and hit neutral targets hard.

Set Details
========

A Quiet nature with a 0 Speed IVs ensures that Porygon2 outspeeds as many Pokemon as possible under Trick Room. Download allows Porygon2 to possibly get a Special Attack boost and thus hit harder. Maximum HP and Special Attack EVs allow Porygon2 to tank as many hits as possible while hitting as hard as it can. Eviolite gives Porygon2 as much bulk as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Make sure to keep Porygon2 healthy so that it can continue to set up Trick Room throughout the match. Porygon2 must watch out for potential Knock Off users such as Gligar and Mandibuzz, as they can get rid of its Eviolite and compromise its bulk. Taunt users give Porygon2 a hard time, preventing it from using as not only can it not use Recover, but it cannot set up and Trick Room either. This set can not only set up Trick Room not only for itself, (RC) but also for slow setup sweepers such as Nasty Plot Slowking and Swords Dance Doublade so that they can get around faster checks. This set should only be used on dedicated Trick Room teams, as Trick Room only has four turns to be utilized (three if Porygon2 switches out), (AC) so it can drain momentum from any team not dedicated to Trick Room.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that benefit from Trick Room, such as Pangoro, Mega Camerupt, Escavalier, Emboar, Hoopa, Machamp, Slowking, Reuniclus, and Mega Ampharos, can hit hard and outspeed most Pokemon under Trick Room. Secondary Trick Room setters such as Chandelure, Cresselia, Slowking, and Aromatisse are really helpful in keeping Trick Room up. Aromatisse has the added benefit of keeping Porygon2 healthy thanks to Aromatherapy and Wish. Entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Forretress is extremely helpful, as it helps wear down the opponent's team. Forretress also can spin away entry hazards, allowing Porygon2 to keep setting up Trick Room throughout the match.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Hidden Power Fire gives Porygon2 the ability to hit Forretress, Cobalion, Doublade, and Lucario harder than it can with its common coverage moves. Sadly, (AC) Cobalion, Doublade, and Lucario can set up on Porygon2, while Forretress can stack entry hazards against it. Psych Up gives Porygon2 a way to compete with Calm Mind sweepers that typically set up on it such as Suicune and Reuniclus; however, both of them have ways of beating Porygon2 anyway, with Roar in Suicune's case and Psyshock in Reuniclus's case. Porygon2 is already hard pressed for moveslots as well. Discharge gives Porygon2 a way to spread paralysis while retaining coverage on Empoleon and Feraligatr; however, Porygon2 is better off having a guaranteed chance at hindering them with Thunder Wave and then switching out. Magic Coat allows Porygon2 to bounce back Taunt and status moves that tend to cripple it. Again, though, Porygon2 suffers from four-moveslot syndrome and thus has a hard time finding a place to fit Magic Coat in.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fighting-types**: Heracross and Lucario can threaten Porygon2 with their super effective STAB moves. They also threaten a lot of Porygon2's common partners with their nearly impeccable coverage. Fighting-types also tend to carry Knock Off, which can further cripple Porygon2's bulk by removing its Eviolite.

**Knock Off and Trick Users**: Porygon2 hates losing its Eviolite and being locked into a move after being Tricked a Choice Scarf or Choice Band. (AP)

**Bulky Setup Sweepers**: Snorlax, Reuniclus, and Suicune can all set up on Porygon2 with ease, causing Porygon2 to be a momentum killer against these particular Pokemon. Reuniclus and Suicune both hate being paralyzed by the defensive set, though.

**Status Inducers**: Status ailments really cripple Porygon2, as it has no way to get rid of them itself and gets worn down easily.

**Taunt Users**: Crobat, Jellicent, and Hydreigon can force Porygon2 to not use Recover or Trick Room and whittle it down with their STAB moves.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
:heart:
GP 2/2

not
only
but
also
[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2 has an amazing defensive ability in Trace, allowing it to use the foe's abilities ability against it. It has great 85 / 90 / 95 bulk that is further augmented by Eviolite. Using Eviolite is a double-edged sword, however, as it means that Porygon2 lacks the passive recovery of Leftovers. It also lacks strong bulk without its Eviolite, meaning that it is severely crippled by losing it via Knock Off. Regardless, Porygon2 It has access to a decent STAB move in Tri Attack and decent coverage options such as Ice Beam and Thunderbolt. Porygon2 It also has a great support movepool, with access to Thunder Wave, Toxic, and Recover. Recover is, (AC) a reliable recovery move that allows Porygon2 to stay healthy throughout the match. Porygon2's typing is decent defensively due to only having one weakness, albeit a common one, but it isn't amazing due to its lack of resistances, only being immune to Ghost. Porygon2 is also very susceptible to status ailments and is setup fodder for bulky sweepers such as Snorlax, Calm Mind Reuniclus, and Suicune.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Recover gives Porygon2 a reliable form of recovery to continue tanking hits. Tri Attack is an amazing STAB move, allowing Porygon2 to have a 20% chance to burn, paralyze, or freeze its foe. Ice Beam gives allows Porygon2 to have decent coverage alongside its STAB move, hitting Salamence and Hydreigon harder as well as Pokemon that resist Normal such as Mega Aerodactyl, Rhyperior, and Tyrantrum. Thunder Wave allows Porygon2 to hinder more offensive teams, while Toxic allows Porygon2 to wear down more defensive teams. Foul Play is an option to have an easier time against physical attackers, especially those that use setup moves, such as Swords Dance Doublade and Swords Dance Abomasnow. Thunderbolt hits Feraligatr harder than Tri Attack, (AC) as well as hitting Empoleon and retaining super effective coverage on while still hitting Mega Aerodactyl super effectively.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Pokemon that threaten Fighting-types as well as hit them super effectively, such as Florges and Crobat, are great partners, while; (ASC) Florges can also get rid of status, which really cripples Porygon2, while Crobat can switch into Knock Off. Other clerics, such as Aromatisse and Vaporeon, can also help Porygon2 by getting rid of its status conditions. Entry hazard removers such as Forretress, Salamence, Gligar, and Crobat help keep Porygon2 alive, as entry hazards wear it down very quickly. Forretress can keep up momentum as well, while Gligar and Crobat can hit very hard. Gligar in particular has amazing defensive synergy with Porygon2, although both fear Knock Off from common Fighting-types. Grounded Poison-types such as Nidoqueen can absorb Toxic Spikes, which Porygon2 really hates. Nidoqueen also appreciates Porygon2's ability to slow down a lot of faster threats with Thunder Wave. Entry hazard support from Forretress, Qwilfish, or Nidoqueen helps Porygon2 wear down the opponent's team passively, as it can force a lot of switches thanks to its threatening status moves.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Set Details
========

A Quiet nature with a 0 Speed IVs ensures that Porygon2 outspeeds as many Pokemon as possible under Trick Room. Download allows Porygon2 to possibly get a Special Attack boost and thus hit harder. Maximum HP and Special Attack EVs allow Porygon2 to tank as many hits as possible while hitting as hard as it can. Eviolite gives Porygon2 as much bulk as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Make sure to keep Porygon2 healthy so that it can continue to set up Trick Room throughout the match. Porygon2 must watch out for potential Knock Off users such as Gligar and Mandibuzz, as they can get rid of its Eviolite and compromise its bulk. Taunt users give Porygon2 a hard time, preventing it from using as not only can it not use Recover, but it cannot set up and Trick Room either. This set can not only set up Trick Room not only for itself, (RC) but also for slow setup sweepers such as Nasty Plot Slowking and Swords Dance Doublade so that they can get around faster checks. This set should only be used on dedicated Trick Room teams, as Trick Room only has four turns to be utilized (three if Porygon2 switches out), (AC) so it can drain momentum from any team not dedicated to Trick Room.

Team Options
========

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Hidden Power Fire gives Porygon2 the ability to hit Forretress, Cobalion, Doublade, and Lucario harder than it can with its common coverage moves. Sadly, (AC) Cobalion, Doublade, and Lucario can set up on Porygon2, while Forretress can stack entry hazards against it. Psych Up gives Porygon2 a way to compete with Calm Mind sweepers that typically set up on it such as Suicune and Reuniclus; however, both of them have ways of beating Porygon2 anyway, with Roar in Suicune's case and Psyshock in Reuniclus's case. Porygon2 is already hard pressed for moveslots as well. Discharge gives Porygon2 a way to spread paralysis while retaining coverage on Empoleon and Feraligatr; however, Porygon2 is better off having a guaranteed chance at hindering them with Thunder Wave and then switching out. Magic Coat allows Porygon2 to bounce back Taunt and status moves that tend to cripple it. Again, though, Porygon2 suffers from four-moveslot syndrome and thus has a hard time finding a place to fit Magic Coat in.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Knock Off and Trick Users**: Porygon2 hates losing its Eviolite and being locked into a move after being Tricked a Choice Scarf or Choice Band. (AP)

Thanks fren for the check! :heart: :heart: :heart: This is ready to upload!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)