(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Because (Mega) Sharpedo is the mascot of Team Aqua? If I remember right, the yellow scars on the top of its body do kind of resemble an A...
You know what I meant. Why doesn't Mega Sharpedo have the Team Aqua logo when Mega Camerupt has Team Magma's. And a different stylized A doesn't count since Camerupt has the exact logo.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well I can understand rock smashed rocks reappearing because you can actually find things out of them. You can find certain Pokemon out of them and also items like fossils, Heart Scales and other things. Trees on the other hand should be permanently removed since you get nothing out of them.
Well in that case maybe they can justify the tree by having a chance of finding a Berry when you cut it?

I believe I posted this before ages ago, but in my opinion the perfect solution for the HM dilemma would be to have HM field effects permanently learned by any Pokemon that learns the move, even if the move itself is removed. That way, actually useful moves like Surf still keep their viability while things like Cut can be taught once, then forgotten for a better move.
I personally think they should allow your Pokemon to be able to remember more moves. Like you'll still be restricted to 4 moves, but outside of battle you have extra move slots you can swap out with the 4 active moves. That way you can either store a move you'll like the Pokemon to be able to remember without needing to use a TM or go to the Move Relearner or maybe have as HM moves. How many extra move slots you can argue for (I personally think 3, that sounds like a fair amount).

Well, in terms of Rock Smash rocks it's like... alright, things like HGSS Ruins of Alph rocks and XY Glittering Cave rocks where you do legitimately get something out of them should stay. But rocks which exist purely to block your way should be removed when you first break them; much like they did with Rusturf tunnel. And which they should do with the infamously infuriating rocks between Mauville and Fiery Path.
If they're not story-related like the Rusturf Tunnel all smashable rocks should be able to drop an item if they're going to reappear otherwise its pointless.

You know what I meant. Why doesn't Mega Sharpedo have the Team Aqua logo when Mega Camerupt has Team Magma's. And a different stylized A doesn't count since Camerupt has the exact logo.
You may want to take a look at the M on Camerupt's face and the Team Magma logo, they don't look as much alike as you think they do:

If Mega Camerupt's M counts as a Team Magma logo, I think we can make the same exception for Mega Sherpedo's stylized A. Honestly I prefer the way they did it with Sherpedo as it looks naturally, the blatant M on Camerupt's face makes me think it made a deal with DBZ's Babidi.

I caught too many mons on Route 2 in XY, thanks to getting all the Rare mons while still not getting a Bunnelby. (I'm an amateur Dex completionist--I won't usually trade over the Net, but I do try to catch as much as possible.) So now I have a full party with four mons that are going in the box--but there's no PC in Aquacorde.

I caught too many mons on Route 2 in XY, thanks to getting all the Rare mons while still not getting a Bunnelby. (I'm an amateur Dex completionist--I won't usually trade over the Net, but I do try to catch as much as possible.) So now I have a full party with four mons that are going in the box--but there's no PC in Aquacorde.
Aquacorde is the biggest waste of a town ever in my opinion. The only thing you can do there is just heal Pokemon and buy Poke Balls.

And none of them had Fly?

See, this is why I only ever use my Breloom, Crobat and Swampert when DexNav hunting.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I sort of consider Aquacorde Town part of Vaniville Town, so much so that I don't really understand why it's not. Like make where the player is living the residential area and where you meet up with the rivals the commercial area. All you do by separating them is by making the lamest first route/Route 1 EVER. It also to me explains why it doesn't have a Pokemon Center since a party heal is just a jog to home away (then again BW2 had your house AND a Pokemon Center in the home town...).

Weezing annoys me in Gen 3 FR/LG runs. If you don't run a gamebreaking psychic type the thing is nigh-untouchable. So bulky and immune to ground, and just when you finish whittling it down it explodes on you. And since you fight team rocket, you see them everywhere.

The Muk line has minimize which is almost as bad, but the AI never really utilizes it. Also, it's at least still weak to ground.

Okay, here's something that annoys me. Encounter rates, in the Gen VI games, are given as relative terms (Common, Rare, Very Rare, etc.) instead of percentages. I'm more of a numbers guy, at least in that respect.

Okay, here's something that annoys me. Encounter rates, in the Gen VI games, are given as relative terms (Common, Rare, Very Rare, etc.) instead of percentages. I'm more of a numbers guy, at least in that respect.
What?

There are no encounter tables for pokemon in-game (besides hacking the game for raw data), so your data must be coming from elsewhere. You can't really fault Gamefreak for that, can ya?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Well here's something relating to encounter rates that does have to do with in-game: why do they even exist? I hate to sound impatient but why are some Pokemon easier or harder to find then others? All you're making me do is either: (A.) if it's a Pokemon I don't like to skip out on it and come back later or (B.) if it is a Pokemon I want I have to stop my story progression and wade though ton of common fodder until I encounter it. In addition in the present day where we have the GTS I could probably just find one in there asking for a Pokemon I already have, especially post game or later on in my journey. If it's not a special Pokemon, just make me have an equal chance of encountering it. If you want to have your "rare" encounters then why not have them be a Starter, Fossil, or the other version's exclusive Pokemon (which I think has been mentioned before as a relic concept itself. And so is Pokemon who evolve by trading; at least provide an alternate way to evolve it (I say give them a level evolution and make it so that traded Pokemon either evolve immediately or earlier to encourage trading if that's what you want)).

Well here's something relating to encounter rates that does have to do with in-game: why do they even exist? I hate to sound impatient but why are some Pokemon easier or harder to find then others? All you're making me do is either: (A.) if it's a Pokemon I don't like to skip out on it and come back later or (B.) if it is a Pokemon I want I have to stop my story progression and wade though ton of common fodder until I encounter it. In addition in the present day where we have the GTS I could probably just find one in there asking for a Pokemon I already have, especially post game or later on in my journey. If it's not a special Pokemon, just make me have an equal chance of encountering it. If you want to have your "rare" encounters then why not have them be a Starter, Fossil, or the other version's exclusive Pokemon (which I think has been mentioned before as a relic concept itself. And so is Pokemon who evolve by trading; at least provide an alternate way to evolve it (I say give them a level evolution and make it so that traded Pokemon either evolve immediately or earlier to encourage trading if that's what you want)).
Some Pokemon which are stronger or have potential to be strong are more difficult to find. It's like finding 1 genius in a class of 40, if that's making sense.
Also, in the real world food chain, weaker animals (low in food chain) are much more numerous than stronger ones so Pokemon encounter rates reflect how likely you can find them in the wild.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Some Pokemon which are stronger or have potential to be strong are more difficult to find. It's like finding 1 genius in a class of 40, if that's making sense.
Also, in the real world food chain, weaker animals (low in food chain) are much more numerous than stronger ones so Pokemon encounter rates reflect how likely you can find them in the wild.
Not really as the genius in a class of 40 is more of an individual proving themselves to be better than the rest of their peers. In Pokemon terms that genius would be a Pokemon with perfect IVs or a Shiny, not a species of Pokemon among other species of Pokemon.

But they seemed to have phased out Pokemon eating each other and gone with they all survive on berries or some other subsidence. In that case I'd imagine all the Pokemon forming an ecosystem where they mostly live with members of their own species and coexisting with other species. I'll give you some species are more likely to reproduce a lot more member of their species, but that wouldn't make the other Pokemon species rare.

Also let's look at this from a gameplay perspective. Let's use finding a Riolu in Floccesy Ranch in BW2. If I want to use a Riolu I'll probably have to stomp around for several minutes wading through Lillipup, Azurill, Mareep, Psyduck, and Patrat; completely halting my story progression. The thing is, I don't NEED a Riolu, in fact no one needs the rare Pokemon to complete the game. It's just something they want to have and use, but they don't need it. So you're stopping my story progression for possibly longer than it needs to be stopped for something which I could honestly do without. Also with all the Pokemon that I can catch in the grass it would be a hassle to get one anyway, they just made it more difficult.

Not really as the genius in a class of 40 is more of an individual proving themselves to be better than the rest of their peers. In Pokemon terms that genius would be a Pokemon with perfect IVs or a Shiny, not a species of Pokemon among other species of Pokemon.

But they seemed to have phased out Pokemon eating each other and gone with they all survive on berries or some other subsidence. In that case I'd imagine all the Pokemon forming an ecosystem where they mostly live with members of their own species and coexisting with other species. I'll give you some species are more likely to reproduce a lot more member of their species, but that wouldn't make the other Pokemon species rare.

Also let's look at this from a gameplay perspective. Let's use finding a Riolu in Floccesy Ranch in BW2. If I want to use a Riolu I'll probably have to stomp around for several minutes wading through Lillipup, Azurill, Mareep, Psyduck, and Patrat; completely halting my story progression. The thing is, I don't NEED a Riolu, in fact no one needs the rare Pokemon to complete the game. It's just something they want to have and use, but they don't need it. So you're stopping my story progression for possibly longer than it needs to be stopped for something which I could honestly do without. Also with all the Pokemon that I can catch in the grass it would be a hassle to get one anyway, they just made it more difficult.
Perhaps their lines of reasoning is that if you wanted it that badly you'd work for it or find something else. I knew I wasn't gonna leave that ranch without getting a Riolu. But then I wasn't exactly playing for efficiency...

Weezing annoys me in Gen 3 FR/LG runs. If you don't run a gamebreaking psychic type the thing is nigh-untouchable. So bulky and immune to ground, and just when you finish whittling it down it explodes on you. And since you fight team rocket, you see them everywhere.
It's not that bad as long as you have a decent special attacker neutral vs poison. Any surf user, fire-type etc. will do; it's pretty frail in terms of special bulk.

It's not that bad as long as you have a decent special attacker neutral vs poison. Any surf user, fire-type etc. will do; it's pretty frail in terms of special bulk.
I agree with this. Back when I was a kid, I just run Surf on everything and watch shit die (heck, I even thought Poison / Machop line was weak to Water by the way they roll over to any decently powered Surf (I wasn't paying attention to the game text).

Back-to-back whiffs in Head-It, especially after having five-starred it. I swear, I have the hand-eye coordination for this. Why can't I execute?

For that matter, Head-It itself--in a good way, mind you, in that it's fun, addicting, and an easy way to grind out affection.

Special bulk is a bit frail, sure, but it's Weezing's base 65 HP that's really hampering its bulk, even on the physical side. And of course in FR/LG runs Geodude, Onix, and Magnemite care little for Weezing's Self-Destruct antics.
Back-to-back whiffs in Head-It, especially after having five-starred it. I swear, I have the hand-eye coordination for this. Why can't I execute?

For that matter, Head-It itself--in a good way, mind you, in that it's fun, addicting, and an easy way to grind out affection.
I'm not very good with Head-It, though I can usually get a score of well over 100 in Berry Picker's unlimited difficulty. I could probably fare better in Tile Puzzle's unlimited difficulty if the backgrounds didn't make half the tile pieces so dam similar to one another that you have to try and study them/hope the picture changes to make the pieces more distinct, wasting time you don't have.

Last edited:
Special bulk is a bit frail, sure, but it's Weezing's base 65 HP that's really hampering its bulk, even on the physical side. And of course in FR/LG runs Geodude, Onix, and Magnemite care little for Weezing's Self-Destruct antics.
Well, when I'm talking about bulk on a particular side I'm including the HP. Physical bulk is HP + Defence; Special bulk is HP + Special Defence.

Are guys still nitpicking my nitpick about Weezing? The thread is "little things that annoyed you," not "completely rational and well-reasoned critical analysis on capture and taming of fantastical creatures: now with 16 pages of references!" Don't make me bring Idina Menzel songs into this! :P

Replaying Platinum reminded me of how tedious saving was if you so much as looked at the PC in Gen 4 (and Gen 2, too). Not exactly the best thing to happen when your stop on the bus comes up. Just a few more years minutes mom, I'm saving!

Really glad that issue got solved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)