Infernape (Revamp)

SmogonWorkHorse

Banned deucer.

Thug style-bitin lyin n*&%$, give it up
- Infernape

[WIP]

[OVERVIEW]
- One of the hardest Pokemon to switch safely into in the tier.
- Very versatile, great speed with decent offensive stats, along with good offensive typing in Fire / Fighting.
- Great Stallbreaker
- 76/71/71 defences make it quite frail and can rarely take a neutral attack reasonably well

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
item:
nature:l
evs:

[SET COMMENTS]
-
-
-
-

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
-
-
-
-

[SET]
name: Special Mix Ape
move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
item:
evs:

[SET COMMENTS]
-
-
-
-

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
-
-
-
-
[SET]
name: Physical Mix Ape
move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
item:
evs:

[SET COMMENTS]
-
-
-
-

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
-
-
-
-

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
item:
evs:

[SET COMMENTS]
-
-
-
-

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
-
-
-
-

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
item:
evs:

[SET COMMENTS]
-
-
-
-

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
-
-
-
-

[SET]
name: Lead
move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
item:
evs:

[SET COMMENTS]
-
-
-
-

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
-
-
-
-

[OTHER OPTIONS]
- Swords Dance set can be used however Infernape will rarely get the time of day to set up and is still prone to being revenge killed by scarf Ghost-types / Gengar / Starmie etc.
-
-

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]
- Checks and counter heavily depend on the set used.
- Choice Scarfers in general can revenge kill Infernape....Flygon / Rotom-A and faster Pokemon, Starmie / Azelf / Crobat etc.
- Bulky Suicune and Gyarados variants can handle the Physical variants relatively well however the latter must watch out for the occasional Hidden Power Electric.
- Dragonite can take both of Infernape's STAB attacks once or twice however caution must be taken.
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Dugtrio can trap and kill it provided it isn't scarfed.
- Lures such as Occa Metagross / Occa Jirachi all work however bare in mind they must only be used as an Ape stop as a last resort..in addition to being at relatively good health. Infernape can opt to simply U-turn on Celebi instead of risking missing with Fire Blast / Blitz recoil so be wary and don't think you can lure it and beat it UNLESS you are 100% sure it is a U-turn-less variant.
- Strong attacks such as Choice Band Dragonite Extremespeed does a good 72% on average to neutral Infernape.

Last edited:

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Slack Off/Will-o-Wisp aids monkey for other options?

Maybe add wearing it down with chip damages, hazards, sand storm, lo, recoil, etc, for checks and counters?

SmogonWorkHorse

Banned deucer.
EdwardElric15 Something that can switch into one of the Pokemon in question's attack and destroy it in return falls into being a check. Checks reliability can fall between shaky and slightly solid but not to the point where it becomes a counter. Counter is what you mean I think.

Sapientia That is more orientated for ORAS. Infernape is too valuable to waste on a bulky Wow set which most of its switchins might be mixed or dont even care about the burn. You lose the basic essence of what Infernape stands of in DPP. In ORAS it has its typing to kind of take dark type Knock Offs and what not but here it is very relevant to the metagame. Furthermore, in ORAS it isn't really a huge threat in OU and thus can really run anything as it isn't a key threat. Thanks for your second point, I'll add it later when I write this up properly.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
I guess a better way to say that about nape is that it's not really going to threaten its switch-ins with that defensive set, it doesn't offer up much utility, and it's better off running an offensive set as a consequence.

slack off should be mentioned somewhere for the mixed attackers, it really screws with teams who can't outrun it and try to stall it via sand/lo recoil

Yeah Slack Off is killer. In fact there is some merit to a SpDef Nape set although it'd be other options at best, it handles Grasses really solidly.

Anyways this may just be me but I don't really see a Physically Mixed and a Specially Mixed, cause personally I'd MUCH rather take CC and Blitz's longevity issues than FMiss's accuracy (cause to me MixNape is meant to suicide run the opposing team and do as much damage as it can). My Mixed set runs CC, Blitz, either Mach Punch or U-Turn, and Grass Knot (occasionally HP Ice or Stone Edge if my team feels weak to flyers or some such), with Speed EVs to hit 330 and offensive EVs depend on what I want to kill in specific (may fail in mirror matches but I honestly prefer being able to do more damage to balanced-semistall-stall teams). If you feel like Physically and Specially Mixed should be separate then it's cool with me, just wanted to throw out my opinion.

Last edited:

SmogonWorkHorse

Banned deucer.
There might be a reason why it says w.i.p, just for your information guys.

Disaster Area You can translate all my posts to English, thanks

BKC Oh ok I'll add it to OO.

Lord Ninjax There is a big difference in what both mixed sets do and once again...Flare Blitz is a terrible idea on Mixed, you get shut down by Gyarados that switch-in, puts you closer to range of incoming nites to pick you off with espeed (you just said you put HP Ice incase you're weak to fliers lol, your set contradicts itself) which is huge and lose a shitload to fat big hp mons when you could have easily killed with FB and lasted another few turns, if you use ape you know that its biggest issue is keeping it alive for enough time to do a real dosage of damage. Thanks for your opinion though.

Last edited:

SmogonWorkHorse

Banned deucer.
Infernape specially mixed based with hp elec can 6-0 stall teams without problem i think nah ? gyarados is your only switch-in most of time and even with rocks you can't 2HKO the resttalk with grass knot and you are using hp ice just to hit dnite so i think hp elec is fine against stall
Yeah HP Electric is a good option and will be mentioned however the mixed special needs HP Ice man, it is much more reliable and actually ohkoes Gliscor, Dragonite and Non scarf Flygon vs HP Electrics which is for Gyarados mainly as GK does more damage to Starmie, Suicune and other waters.

SmogonWorkHorse

Banned deucer.
Yeah but I cant exactly write put HP Electric when you face a stall team lol, not like you will know beforehand bro. HP Ice is the better move in general, not only is stall dying and is less popular atm but vs stall its not like Ape is going to be the sole mon vs the entire other 6 mons man, trying to beat an entire team with Ape ain't gonna happen when it has LO. You got other teammates to support Ape when shit that it cant beat comes in. I'll write HP Electric in additional set comments and as you said for stall its decent. Thanks man for the input

S0MALIA

Banned deucer.
Can a Moderator give me the OP of this thread please? This sub-forum needs a few gears revved up.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Flare Blitz
move 3: Mach Punch
move 4: U-Turn
item: Choice Band
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
-Choice Band allows Infernape to destroy a large portion of the metagame with its excellent high powered STAB attacks.
-Close Combat easily 2hkoes Offensive Suicune and Sp.Def Hippowdon whilst powering through anything not named Cresselia, Gyarados, Starmie, Dragonite or Ghost-types
-Flare Blitz like Close Combat nails Steel-types and the likes of Shaymin.
-U-Turn is for momentum grabbing, nuking Starmie on the switch and avoiding massive recoil when finishing off Celebi.
-Mach Punch allows Infernape to revenge kill some of the scariest set up mons in the metagame such as Lucario and Tyranitar.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
-Pursuit support is appreciated to get rid of Ghost-types to avoid being punished when using CC and thugs like Weavile can take advantage of U-Turn that baits in Rotom, Starmie and Gengar.
- Stone Edge can be used instead of Mach Punch to nuke Dragonite and Gyarados, however as Infernape will be locked and there is a probability that the far more common Bulky Starmie or Suicune will switch in, it is not the most reliable option.
- 4 Def is very minor however taking Bullet Punch and Extremespeed slightly better is always welcomed.
-Hazards are appreciated as they add up especially when infernape is paired with another U-turner to cause maximum damage. Toxic Spikes allow Bulky Waters to fall quicker whilst putting alot of pressure on defensive teams to constantly heal up everytime they take damage from Infernape.
-Countering Infernape is hard enough and what makes this set so devastating is its ability to U-turn on many Pokemon it scares out. Resttalk Gyarados and bulky Dragonite can take several hits however they both take Stealth Rock damage. Scarf Rotom-A / Non Scarf Rotom-A and Gengar can come in on Close Combat and either Substitute to avoid getting pursuit trapped by a potential Tyranitar / Weavile or simply hit if the opponent's Pokemon have been exposed beforehand. Starmie, Suicune, Gyarados, Dragonite, and Kingdra can take Flare Blitz, some to a lesser extent than Kingdra obviously.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)