Data ASB Feedback & Game Issues Thread - Mk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding weather abilities, why not allow people to activate or not activate the ability on send out? I mean, Deck used to not activate them all the time. It is also, IMO, the best option.

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
^The problem with that is that I suspect people will very easily get screwed over by forgetting to activate the ability *coughprechangesheerforcecough*

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
^yeah can we just add a thing like "if you don't want to activate the weather say so as you send out"?

Geodude6

Look at my shiny CT!
How does Illusion work in self-reffed matches? The match in question is here. Normally the person using Illusion PMs the referee. However, in this case, either the referee is also that person's opponent, or that person is the referee. In the former case, the Illusion user's opponent would know of the Illusion since he is also the referee. In the latter case, the Illusion user has the ability to decide retroactively whether there is an Illusion Pokemon since he's the referee and he doesn't need to PM anybody for Illusion. Should Illusion not work, or should the players trust each other to be honest?

I have been going off the assumption that it just doesn't work, since it would be a huge head ache to deal with. Although I suppose that it doesn't make a huge difference, considering that KOC aren't awarded anyway so it doesn't make a huge difference.

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
What I've seen being done (and I recommend you do so) is you telling a third party about illusion and what-not. Sure, I only saw that being done on the Reffing 202 matches (aka the only self-reffed match where it matters somewhat), so you take it with a pinch of salt. But that is what I would recommend yeah.

I have been going off the assumption that it just doesn't work, since it would be a huge head ache to deal with. Although I suppose that it doesn't make a huge difference, considering that KOC aren't awarded anyway so it doesn't make a huge difference.
Doesn't work? I used it when I was taking my course, and you were the other player. I asked around at the time, and was told to tell a third party, so for what it's worth I also believe that that is in fact the correct procedure.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Uhhh so Scope Lens was brought up here as apparently needing an update to boost the crit stage boost to +2 (either as a deliberate buff or a supposed mechanics misinterpretation) when in reality it had a crit boost of +1 stage all along:

[16:30:14] <~Its_A_Random> !data scope lens
[16:30:15] <TIBot> Scope Lens: Holder's critical hit ratio is raised by 1 stage.

I guess we could revert it but it also has competitive implications (i.e. Togekiss Nerf) so I want to ask here should we actually nerf it to its original effect or do we keep with the status quo? Discuss.

Iirc it was made that way so Scope Lens was not just an inferior Quick Claw (since in ASB Quick Claw increases Crit Stage by 1).

I'll have to echo tavok's sentiments here. I'd rather have Scope Lens in its current incarnation than have it be worthless. And I do believe that it was in fact an intentional buff, so that is something to consider as well.

Frosty

=_=
Moving the Weather ability stuff direct to voting, based on the premise that it is an old discussion and I assume pretty much everybody has an opinion on the matter.

As for Scope Lens: the change was made because of the misunderstood effect. The change wasn't done with the intention of having a Scope Lens that differs from ingame. That is important to point out. If we decide to have it keep the current effect, then now we would need to decide to have a special thinge.

Personally I don't like the idea of having a special scope lens, just 'cause. But I hate togekiss so eh. I just don't see the need to boost the super luck mons, as none actually need it. But I don't really care. But regardless, I think this should be decided via voting by council, since it differs from ingame, and since that is always exception, it wouldn't be correct to just decide that way via fiating.

Geodude6

Look at my shiny CT!
Okay which bright spark decided it was a good idea to have Weak Armour on by default?

I mean imo the whole toggle changes were pointless but wasn't the point of the changes to have the superior effect on by default?

I mean tell me, but how is getting destroyed by a Cinccino's Tail Slap followed up by <insert physical move here> the superior effect of Weak Armour unless your name is Mandibuzz?

IMO we should change Weak Armour back to the way it was. -1 Def, +1 Spe on getting hit by a contact move generally is not superior. >_>
The original reason behind the changes of Toggle moves (the original case being Sheer Force) was to have players not get screwed because they forgot to toggle their ability (Not having Sheer Force's BAP boost because you forgot to toggle it). After those changes were implemented, then someone had the bright idea that all Toggle Abilities needed to be consistent with each other by having their in-cartridge effect be the default effect. Now, you get screwed because you forgot to toggle your ability.

17 Pokemon get Weak Armor. Of these 17 Pokemon, only 2 of them don't give a hoot if they are hit with a Contact move while Weak Armor's effect is active. These two being Vullaby and Mandibuzz, as the negative part of Weak Armor is negated by Big Pecks. The remaining 15? 8 of them are rock-types, which is why everyone has ignored my complaints about it.
fuck consistency, id rather have common sense>consistency and im sure alot of people feel that way. Weak armor has no reason not being toggled on by default when it harms most of its users. This also goes for stuff like symbiosis.
Can we change Weak Armor to be off by default?

Frosty

=_=
We had this specific voting not too long ago. I'd rather not touch the matter unless this gets a vast support amongst the councilmembers.

EDIT: BTW I am against changing it. Partially because it was a recent voting and it is best we abide by them and partially (mostly) because I agree with IAR's aurumoth comment.

Last edited:

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
I kinda gave up on that issue anyway. It is just a matter of muscle memory and whatnot; ultimately a pointless change.

also a nice aurumoth nerf but lets not go there

Geodude6

Look at my shiny CT!
I would say something about how retarded it is to have it be on by default, but I think akela said it better:
akela said:
dogfish44 said:
Weak Armour gets plenty of use purely because Mandibuzz uses it for free +Speed boosts. Consistency is good.
Can you provide anyone with a link to a single battle in the last year where Mandibuzz toggled Weak Armor On? Or any battles where a Weak Armor Pokemon Toggled Weak Armor On?

Garbodor? Never toggles it on. Onix? I am the only person to toggle it on and that was for shits and giggles.. Skarmory? Never toggles it on. Omanyte? Never toggles it on. Omastar? Never toggles it on. Kabuto? Never toggles it on. Kabutops? I am the only person to toggle it on and that was for shits and giggles. Slugma? Never toggles it on. Magcargo? Never toggles it on. Dwebble? Never toggles it on. Crustle? Never toggles it on. Vanillite? Never toggles it on. Vanillish? Never toggles it on. Vanilluxe? Never toggles it on. Vullaby? I think Leethoof toggled it on once. Aurumoth? Never toggles it on. But hey, because Vullaby and Mandibuzz have Big Pecks, it should be on by default! Never mind the fact it screws over everything else if the user FORGETS TO TOGGLE IT.

Hm. They forgot to toggle it? Isn't that like the issue with Sheer Force's effect? People were screwed because they forgot to Toggle it?

IMO toggle abilities should default as their ingame effect (or w/e is closest) because that's the easiest to learn and remember... if you aren't looking at it through the lens of people that have gone through changes to what the default toggle is 99 times.

But if you want to explain to new players that "toggle abilities default as ingame except for weak armor because its shitty and people forget all the time to toggle off" then go for it.

I'm super invested in this

Geodude6

Look at my shiny CT!
But if you want to explain to new players that "toggle abilities default as ingame except for weak armor because its shitty and people forget all the time to toggle off" then go for it.
I would actually be down for this :D Really only zekrom would not understand

But in all seriousness, Weak Armor is more often than not detrimental to its users. 99% of the time, a Weak Armor user not named Mandibuzz is going to want to have it off. Honestly, my suggestion isn't too different from people wanting Sheer Force to be on by default: when SF was off by default, people got screwed because they forgot to toggle it on.

Weak Armor gets activated multiple times by multiple-hit moves. 96 fully-evolved Pokemon learn some multiple-hit move, and that's not even counting CAPs nor mons that get one from anime/manga/event. For those of you not great with numbers, that's a significant portion of the fully evolved Pokemon: 32.432% to be exact. (again, not counting CAPs or anime/manga/events) It's not too difficult to do Comet Punch followed up by some physical moves. Yeah, you'll be super fast, but that hardly matters when you're taking at least 4 extra damage from every attack. I've only ever seen Weak Armor toggled on on Mandibuzz, except for a couple of times when akela toggled it on his Onix and Omastar for teh lulz. Oh, and I think I saw Rediamond toggle it on once. As far as I can remember, from when I joined in Dec 2012 (more than 2 years ago!) I've hardly ever seen Weak Armor toggled on, or, after the change to toggle abilities, left on intentionally. Sheer Force should be on by default because that's what most people use it as. By that same logic, Weak Armor should be off by default because of its 9 fully evolved users (Garbodor, Omastar, Kabutops, Magcargo, Skarmory, Crustle, Vanilluxe, Mandibuzz, Aurumoth) only Mandibuzz prefers to have it on, as compared to the other 8, which only want Weak Armor on in the most specific of circumstances.

Last edited:
Well, off-topic and not super relevant but w/e. Also, I told Glacier I'd do this.

A couple of days ago, some of us were talking on IRC (blame Glacier Knight and Dogfish44 but mostly Glacier Knight) and the topic was brought up that there are all sorts of random signature items for all kinds of evolution methods, but there are three mons that evolve via AncientPower (Mamoswine, Tangrowth, Yanmega) but there's no signature item for them. So, us three nerds came up with a signature item for said mons, keeping in mind that all of the aforementioned struggle with SpD.

Relic Crown: "The holder gains STAB on Rock-type attacks, as well as all other effects of Rock STAB. The damage taken from special attacks is reduced by one (1) Base Attack Power instead of two (2) during Sandstorm. Increases the Pokémon's Special Defense by one (1) Rank." Something along those lines.

Any thoughts on this?

Frosty

=_=
It seems like something glacier would think yeah.

As a user of both Tangrowth and Mamoswine, the player in me would love this, but I fail to see the reason. Can you give me a reason other than "because we can"?

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
I think it's part "This is a common enough evolution method that it's inconsistent with the existance of other similar items", and part "Spiritomb gets a sig item when it should get an Everstone and I want my mons to be equally special snowflaked". 90% "because we can" though.

But yes, there's a consistent trend on the AncientPower Evos to have low SpD as a notable problem, so the item does make sense (A given, considering I wrote it xD). Would probably need a toy for Yanmega on it if we do go on through with it, but that's a far later concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)