Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

Is there a non-Showdown troubleshooting thread? The damage calculator isn't working on Google chrome for some reason.
Don't think there is. The damage calculator appears to work fine for me on Chrome, could you elaborate a bit more on what specifically you mean by not working?

Hello, I'm looking for someone to teach me how to breed flawless pokemon and/or shinies. I would appreciate any kind of help here, as I tend to get confused easily, when I try to do it myself. Thanks in advance. c:

Re: damage calculator

pokemonshowdown.com (the home page) has a button that goes to pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/ , but the /calc command links to https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/ . I also use Chrome, and for some reason only the second calc address works for me. Gammafire perhaps the same is true for you.
That's pretty interesting, might be something to do with either settings or version of Chrome. I just tested that link from the Showdown homepage and again it works for me on Chrome 0.o.

Hello, I'm looking for someone to teach me how to breed flawless pokemon and/or shinies. I would appreciate any kind of help here, as I tend to get confused easily, when I try to do it myself. Thanks in advance. c:
Here's a good guide on how to do it: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/breeding-perfect-pokemon-in-pokemon-x-y.3490432/ (assuming you're talking about Gen VI of course)
Bulbapedia has a pretty good page on how breeding and passing down good IVs works as well: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_breeding

If you have any other questions after you read those I'd be happy to help answer them.

EDIT: Marriland has a guide as well that also includes how to breed for egg moves and hidden powers: http://www.marriland.com/forums/pok...intro-to-advanced-breeding-in-x-y-how-to-pass

Last edited:
Hi, I'm interested in becoming a tutor for the tutor/apprentice program but I'm having a hard time understanding how the program generally works.

Can I have a summary on how things work?

After attempting to catch a good timid Heatran all night, I finally decided one more try before bed. I ended up blowing my master ball because I was sure it would also suck. It ended up with a 31/31/31/31/29/31 spread but a modest nature. The stats are killer and the nature not awful but not timid. Should I keep it?

After attempting to catch a good timid Heatran all night, I finally decided one more try before bed. I ended up blowing my master ball because I was sure it would also suck. It ended up with a 31/31/31/31/29/31 spread but a modest nature. The stats are killer and the nature not awful but not timid. Should I keep it?
Modest is very useful in doubles format, so I'd say keep for personal use if you don't mind the 29 in SpD. For trading, I think toss. People generally prefer at least a non-standard Poke Ball for aesthetic purposes.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I am unable to post or edit posts in threads or PMs on my PC, as the text boxes don't work. I can update my status and reply to VMs, however. What might the problem be and how can it be solved? It isn't an enormous issue, but making long posts on my phone is frustrating.

sergey

Banned deucer.
I am unable to post or edit posts in threads or PMs on my PC, as the text boxes don't work. I can update my status and reply to VMs, however. What might the problem be and how can it be solved? It isn't an enormous issue, but making long posts on my phone is frustrating.
You're probably using Internet Explorer, if you try using chrome/firefox it should work

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I'm interested in becoming a tutor for the tutor/apprentice program but I'm having a hard time understanding how the program generally works.

Can I have a summary on how things work?
Hi Zeta5, you can get the gist of it on the tutor site: http://www.smogon.com/tutor/ It is kind of outdated (for example it has singles and VGC as separate programs) but most of it is still the same.

The short answer is that every month, users sign up to be tutored in various metagames, and then they are paired with a tutor who will teach them it over the course of the month. Usually they communicate through IRC or Skype.

Does anyone know of a detailed step by step guide to dream radar rng? The smogon and nuggetbridge ones are good but I'm still confused. I've started dream radar, and have unlocked the first genie level, but I'm afraid of messing up! Do I have to rng as I progress in the game, or can I catch all three genies, then back up my dream radar save (in case I mess up) the rng each of them?

Any help would be appreciated!

One more question. Using mega Kangaskhan as an example; it has 125 base attack and parental bond increases it by 50%, why does everyone say it has an effective attack of 213 or what not when the math says 187.5?

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
One more question. Using mega Kangaskhan as an example; it has 125 base attack and parental bond increases it by 50%, why does everyone say it has an effective attack of 213 or what not when the math says 187.5?
Parental Bond is a boost to the actual stat, not the base stat. So the power it has with Parental Bond is the same that a Pokemon with 213 base attack would have.

A good example of the difference between base stats and actual stats is with Azumarill's attack with Huge Power being as strong as Groudon. Azumarill reaches 436, whereas Groudon reaches 438, however Azumarill's base attack is only 50, whereas Groudon's is 150. So while Azumarill's actual attack is only doubled, it becomes equivalent to a Pokemon with three times its base attack. And with Kangaskhan having a boost of about 50%, its equivalent base attack is almost double. This is just due to how the stat formula works.

If you're interested in the specific formula, this is the calculation behind it:
125 * 2 + 5 + 31 + 63 = 349 (Attack stat at level 100 with 0 IVs and 0 EVs is always 2 times base attack plus 5, then add 31 IVs and 63 attack from 252 EVs)
Parental Bond boost = 349 * 1.5 = 523.5
Taking that stat and reversing the calculation to get the new effective base: (523.5 - 5 - 31 - 63)/2 = 212 (212.5 if you round 523.5 to 524, which can be rounded to 213)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Does anyone know of a detailed step by step guide to dream radar rng? The smogon and nuggetbridge ones are good but I'm still confused. I've started dream radar, and have unlocked the first genie level, but I'm afraid of messing up! Do I have to rng as I progress in the game, or can I catch all three genies, then back up my dream radar save (in case I mess up) the rng each of them?

Any help would be appreciated!
straight from chiizu's article http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/pprng_gen5_09_dream_radar:

The first and most important thing to be aware of when RNGing Dream Radar Pokemon is that the legendaries can only be received once per game save and there is no resetting after a failure.
so you have to try and rng them correctly from the get-go

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Thank you! :)

So before you try anything, you back up your dream radar save AND B2/W2 save and the restore both if you mess up?
Late reply, but it depends on what you are trying to send:
  • For normal Pokemon, you only need to restore the Dream Radar save since they can be sent to the same game multiple times.
  • For sending Legends (i.e. the genies) to different saves (i.e. different carts), you only need to restore the Dream Radar save.
  • For sending Legends to the same save file (that have already received the legend in question), you need to restore both the game save and the Dream Radar save.
The legends can only be sent once per Dream Radar save, and to a single game only once (hopefully that makes sense). So if you send over Tornadus to your W2 cart but mess up, you would have to restore both the game and the Dream Radar to try again.

Late reply, but it depends on what you are trying to send:
  • For normal Pokemon, you only need to restore the Dream Radar save since they can be sent to the same game multiple times.
  • For sending Legends (i.e. the genies) to different saves (i.e. different carts), you only need to restore the Dream Radar save.
  • For sending Legends to the same save file (that have already received the legend in question), you need to restore both the game save and the Dream Radar save.
The legends can only be sent once per Dream Radar save, and to a single game only once (hopefully that makes sense). So if you send over Tornadus to your W2 cart but mess up, you would have to restore both the game and the Dream Radar to try again.
Thank you for the detailed response! That's what I had hoped. As long as I can restore both saves to start the process over if I mess up, im fine XD

I'm sorry if I seem annoying or something, but I'm new here and I do not understand what requirements there are to put a thread in a forum. I looked in the forum in question (PU) but could not find any rules. Am I just missing them? What does it mean to have a thread "approved" and what makes a Pokemon "viable?" Please help.

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
I'm sorry if I seem annoying or something, but I'm new here and I do not understand what requirements there are to put a thread in a forum. I looked in the forum in question (PU) but could not find any rules. Am I just missing them? What does it mean to have a thread "approved" and what makes a Pokemon "viable?" Please help.
You can find the full set of rules for the PU forum here. To have a thread approved, you will have to speak with a forum moderator prior to posting a thread so they can "approve" it. Once they approve your thread, you can post. A Pokemon is viable if it is effective and fares well in the metagame. For example, Landorus-Therian is viable in the OU metagame, due to its access to Stealth Rock combined with good attack and speed stats, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)