Rocket League

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Rocket League (on PC/PS4) is like fifa, but instead of whiny soccer players and corruption you play as a car with rocket boosters. Simple concept, very difficult to master (esp aerial maneuvers). It really reminds me of haxball sometimes, if haxball was an actual game with 3d graphics and physics. Anyone else have this yet? It just came out a couple weeks ago.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I saw a couple of streamers playing this the other day and it looked wicked fun, so I bought it, and it is. Starting to get the hang of it now after a couple of hours, I still can't fly for shit but after an hour and a half I have discovered dodging and the ai has been terrified of my sick skills ever since. Even managed to score a bicycle kick own goal at one point.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Loving this, I still have Bloodborne, Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight to finish but I can't seem to ignore this game. Maybe it's just my playstyle, but I've found the X-devil to be the most effective ride. Add me on PSN (Hand_of_god32) for some pin ball like football madness.

didnt even notice there was a thread for this, but this game owns! bought it just over a month ago after seeing some league streamers play it during queue times.

im almost lv 29 and use the dominus (that turning circle difference really makes an impact and its hard to use other cars when its that good) and i play on pc. kbm master race. i have a controller and even though the game is designed for them i cant get used to doing aerials with controllers and i can do them much easier with the keyboard + mouse, although i seem to be in the minority on that one. the official ranked season starts in a couple days so unless you wanna be sitting in garbage divisions when its out and have to work your way up, play some preseason games. the devs said it will impact the initial division placement.

if any newcomers want some free tips, here u have em:

for the love of god do not chase the ball if a teammate has possession or has a decent chance of taking it back. having 2 guys running after the ball (this mostly applies to offensive attacks) and interfering with each other is frustrating for all parties involved. this isnt 100% set in stone but its easy to tell when its a good time to lack faith in the teammates shot (like if you have a better angle at goal or can hit the ball out of a dangerous spot / off the walls to center it)

this can tie into the first tip but sometimes you gotta realize there might be teammates behind you when the ball bounces back at you. if you dont have much speed or boost, or a good angle, move outta the way so the dude behind you that DOES have all of the above can have a better shot on goal and is much more likely to score. ive messed this up a couple times and it leads to having 2+ guys out of position. in 3v3 this can mean an open goal which is a free runaway/counter attack because 1 dude centered it and you took the bad shot while your defending player just went flying over you. i wouldnt worry too much about this at lower levels because all they wanna do is ballchase and hit it in random directions and its a free for all regardless. some morons even do this at higher levels...

aerials. we all love them, and it is cool as fuck when you score an aerial goal. however unless you are pretty good at them dont just fly for the sake of it, ESPECIALLY if you are gonna be a goalkeeper. it is funny as hell to watch a 1 on 1 situation where the goalkeeper will just fly out of his goals to hit the ball in mid air before it comes close... only to completely miss and the ball flies past him and goes in. expect to take a lot of flak for doing this kinda thing as not everyone will see the funny side.

for goalies - dont just sit inside the goal all game. its best to move up to the midfield area when a teammate is about to center the ball (this works in 3v3 and 4v4, in 2v2 dedicated goalies are garbage to have - you wanna be up there to score).

i can add more at a later date if this thread picks up, but i 100% recommend this game for anyone interested.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for posting here but is it worth buying RL in 2020? I've never played in this game before and I don't know I will enjoy playing it, can you please help me out?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm sorry for posting here but is it worth buying RL in 2020? I've never played in this game before and I don't know I will enjoy playing it, can you please help me out?
it's going free-to-play somewhat soon as far as i know so no, don't buy it. it's still fine to play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)