Primal Battle [Online Competition]

Is possible use both of Kyogre and Groudon in the same team, right?
Yeah you can use both. Be careful though, if they're both out at once its gonna kinda suck for one of them because of the opposing weather. Well, groudon can do okay in rain but not as well as with sun up

Yeah you can use both. Be careful though, if they're both out at once its gonna kinda suck for one of them because of the opposing weather. Well, groudon can do okay in rain but not as well as with sun up
Yeyeah, i know. Buoh, I don't ideas for this tour. Now I am at Groudon + lando-i + Venusaur/Thundurus-T, maybe Sableye.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
I'm still confused; what's wrong with using a standard VGC '15 team, say Kangaskhan / Landorus-T / Thundurus-I / Heatran / Amoonguss / Cresselia, but with Groudon > Landorus-T or something? Or is there something I'm missing :P

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm still confused; what's wrong with using a standard VGC '15 team, say Kangaskhan / Landorus-T / Thundurus-I / Heatran / Amoonguss / Cresselia, but with Groudon > Landorus-T or something? Or is there something I'm missing :P
Yeah, you're missing all of the people who already said that on the first page.

But of course just making a small change means that that change gets all of the attention so chances are a lot of people are going to be making new teams based around the Primals rather than just replacing something on their team with one.

Well, I'm think heatran is not good in a tour where Kyogre and Groudon are allowed, amoonguss too. You need something just for the primal pokes... i guess

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
All hail the fucking king

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Protect

Knock off bops latis with soul dew. Leaf blade bops kyogre. Hp water in heavy rain ohko's pdon. Not to mention that due to speed mechanics, if you switch pogre in on pdon, shiftry still gets chloro boosts and ohko's shit!!!!!! SHIFTRY IS OUR KING! SHIFTRY IS LIFE

And if you don't think soul dew is usable compare competition listings.
http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/5c8afd9e-3f9b-47ff-95ed-687cb5d9470b (april something) Which explicitly says • The item Soul Dew is not allowed. compared to primal battle
http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/08db5d0c-7d7c-4a73-94d0-f7f663f71962
which has no such rule.

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Worth noting that Soul Dew is still illegal on the PS! ladder btw

I've been playing around a bit with Lilligant sun and it seems pretty okay so far. Lilligant is pretty good because it puts a huge chunk in Kyogre with Leaf Storm (OHKO with Life Orb) and gets a bunch of cool support moves like Charm and Sleep Powder and Teeter Dance if you swing that way. Most importantly, though, its main draw is After You: with Chlorophyll, Lilligant is often the fastest Pokémon on the field, and so it can use After You to boost Groudon to the same speed. This allows Groudon to run minimum speed to guarantee the sun against most opposing Kyogre leads and to also beat out Trick Room occasionally. I'm also trying out Taunt Mega Houndoom to beat Cresselia and fire off ungodly strong Heat Waves and that's doing okay too.

e: fairly sure you can do the same thing under rain with Seismitoad + Kyogre, I haven't checked so it might be something else .-.

Last edited:

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm going to try out whimsicott again. No Rayquaza this time means it's easier for it to move around and it can neutralize PGroudons.

Worth noting that Soul Dew is still illegal on the PS! ladder btw
If I remember correctly, the rules didn't state anything about soul dew before "Generation Showdown", but it was still banned. In a regular battle spot format with only two additions that are destroyed by dew Lati@os, it would make no sense to make it legal, so I don't know :/

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, the rules didn't state anything aboyt soul dew on generation showdown, but it was still banned. In a regular battle spot format with only two additions that are destroyed by dew Lati@os, it would make no sense to make it legal, so I don't know :/
But it was aloud in Battle of Legends, and it did not say anything

All hail the fucking king

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Protect

Knock off bops latis with soul dew. Leaf blade bops kyogre. Hp water in heavy rain ohko's pdon. Not to mention that due to speed mechanics, if you switch pogre in on pdon, shiftry still gets chloro boosts and ohko's shit!!!!!! SHIFTRY IS OUR KING! SHIFTRY IS LIFE

And if you don't think soul dew is usable compare competition listings.
http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/5c8afd9e-3f9b-47ff-95ed-687cb5d9470b (april something) Which explicitly says • The item Soul Dew is not allowed. compared to primal battle
http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/08db5d0c-7d7c-4a73-94d0-f7f663f71962
which has no such rule.
It also doesn't say "Players cannot register two or more of the same Pokémon." So you're saying Primal Battle has no species clause as well. Unlikely. It's safe to assume it's VGC rules + Primals allowed.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh man so this is what I missed while my computer died and I got hooked on Metal Gear Solid V (which is a freaking fantastic game by the way!)

My first two thoughts on this potential metagame:

1: I want to use Mega Swampert. That thing put some serious work for me in Battle of the Legends, and thats with a ton of Ubers allowed! Mega Swampert is gonna LOVE no Mega Rayquaza raining on its parade, though since I cant use Rayquaza with it, I guess that Skill Swap Cresselia + Primal Groudon strat is going to be a lot nastier too.

2: I saw this once in battle of the legends: I saw someone use Cloud Nine Lickylicky. Didn't work too well against me since Kyogre is way less vulnerable to that, but I bet that'd at least throw a wrench into the Groudon + Cresselia strat!

I've just started testing scarf Kyogre with moderate success, but the biggest surprise for me has been the success of shedninja. Landorus is outclassed by Groudon and other normally common Pokemon that can hit Shedninja like Tyranitar have become rare because they are weak to primal attacks. Often the only pokemon that can hit shedninja is Groudon, and once that's gone, I'm guaranteed to win . Here's a battle against the player who was #3 on the ladder at the time that I was badly outplayed, but I still won because of shedninja winning a 1v3. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/primalbattle-267709623.

Last edited:
Hmmm seems interesting. I only play ubers just for Kyogre so that's enough reason to get me interested in this. Although my experience in VGC is quite limited, I guess this is a good time to learn.

What about aegislash? It has wide guard, protecting from both kyogre and groudon signature moves. The only problem I've seen that it can't switch safely into both. It's 2OHKO from origin pulse...

Looks like Mantine is the best Wide Guard user. It's weak against Kyogre's thunder but it's immune to Precipade Blades and Origin pulse (water absorb)

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Looks like Mantine is the best Wide Guard user. It's weak against Kyogre's thunder but it's immune to Precipade Blades and Origin pulse (water absorb)
Mantine+Lightning Rod seems like a pretty neat core actually, especially given that most Lightning Rod Pokémon are weak to Origin Pulse or PBlades, and therefore they benefit from Mantine's Wide Guard as well. Raichu and Mega Sceptile are probably the two most viable candidates here, although a case could be made for Marowak's powerful, Thick Club-boosted attacks:

252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Primal Groudon: 184-220 (88.8 - 106.2%) -- approx. 25% chance to OHKO

Yep, mostly mantine can attack groudon in the same turn when you switch your pokemon for send out Kyogre, so the sun disappear and mantine hits Groudon.
Then, if I remember well, Landorus, the same landorus that hits hard groudon, can learn Grass Knot, but I don't know how many damage can do against Kyogre.

Or Genies party. Lando vs Groudon & Thundurus vs Kyogre

I've just started testing scarf Kyogre with moderate success, but the biggest surprise for me has been the success of shedninja. Landorus is outclassed by Groudon and other normally common Pokemon that can hit Shedninja like Tyranitar have become rare because they are weak to primal attacks. Often the only pokemon that can hit shedninja is Groudon, and once that's gone, I'm guaranteed to win . Here's a battle against the player who was #3 on the ladder at the time that I was badly outplayed, but I still won because of shedninja winning a 1v3. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/primalbattle-267709623.
That wouldn't work as well in the real competition because someone could time you out easily

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I started testing out stuff. So far, like Dragonwhale thought: Worry Seed Whimsicott is quite a bit nicer in this metagame compared to Generation Showdown, thanks to stuff like Mega Rayquaza being gone! I expect it to be a potentially common teammate because of this, because screwing over Primal Groudon is pretty huge, plus it messes up Mega Kangaskhan and you can even Worry Seed a teammate to avoid Smeargle's Dark Void!

By the way I highly recommend you all read Smogon's VGC analyses: Pokemon such Mega Kangaskhan and Landorus-T are still great Pokemon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)