(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

The Scrafty hordes on Route 5. Have fun being at -6 Defense and Accuracy.
...or you can just use spread moves? Also, I'm pretty sure you mean Scraggy.

The real throw-your-DS-horde is the Shuppet one at Mt. Pyre.

It may be the best place to train your Attack but which idiot/evil mastermind thought it was a good idea to give the Shuppets Shadow Sneak?

You know what? ALL priority move pokemon in the wild need to be murdered. Slowly.

Just because I like to spam Scizor's Bullet Punch in battles doesn't mean I like being smacked with 5 Shadow Sneaks before my 'mon even had the chance to move.

Are guys still nitpicking my nitpick about Weezing? The thread is "little and HUGE things that annoyed you make you want to throw things," not "completely rational and well-reasoned critical analysis on capture and taming of fantastical creatures: now with 16 70 pages of references and RAGE!"
This thread really needs a name change... :/

Last edited:
I would just like to express my dislike towards events in the games that you can only do once per day. A few make sense (the lotteries), but for the vast majority of them, not only are they annoying, but there's no in-universe reason that you shouldn't be able to do them multiple times. Take the Mauville Food Court, for instance. You can fight the Fare Prince if you complete every prior battle in one turn, which I would have been able to do today if it weren't for a Rock Slide miss. But that's no big deal; I got different Pokemon and was ready to try again... only to be told that they were out of noodles? What?

First of all, it doesn't make sense from a gameplay perspective. It's a very difficult challenge to beat every Trainer in one turn, thanks to the sheer variety of stuff they throw at you. You have Triple Intimidate, Ground-immunity + EQ, Metronome, Teeter Dance + Own Tempo, and even 3 Impostor Dittos. I feel like if I fail, I should be able to try again.

Second, in-universe, it just doesn't work. Do you really expect me to believe that the player character, without fail, gobbles up the very last bowl of noodles every single day, thus implying that it will be unavailable to everyone else? There's a whole host of legitimate reasons they could have given instead. Trainers are limited to one bowl per day to make sure everyone gets a chance to battle. Surrounding Trainers see that you've eaten and are less likely to be on the prowl and suddenly form a line. The player makes the decision to not eat too much food and thus get fat (although realistically, competitive players shouldn't have that problem thanks to how many laps we bike around the Battle Resort).

Beyond the Mauville Food Court, I never liked how Kurt could only make Apricorn balls once a day. It makes perfect in-universe sense (he's an old man, after all); it's just my gripe as a breeder.

Beyond the Mauville Food Court, I never liked how Kurt could only make Apricorn balls once a day. It makes perfect in-universe sense (he's an old man, after all); it's just my gripe as a breeder.
Would you be able to make a hi-tech Poke Ball (not to mention the fancy patterns) in ONE day? I mean, it would be hard even if Kurt wasn't an old man.

Reactions: JES
Would you be able to make a hi-tech Poke Ball (not to mention the fancy patterns) in ONE day? I mean, it would be hard even if Kurt wasn't an old man.
Well, I'm fairly sure you could just take a regular Pokeball and some coloured sharpies. :P

And again, I don't mind it that much since it makes sense in-universe; it's just my gripe.

1) Pokemon that requires you to have them hold an Item while trading is incredibly annoying. You have to search for the (normally limited to 1) evolution item and then trade it on the GTS. Problem is, it's not guaranteed that other people are willing to have their Pokemon hold that Item for you. If other people mess you up, prepare to grind for BPs in the Maison. Oh, and if you think you can get around this by searching for it on the GTS or search for the evolved version, the offered Pokemon will only be traded for a legendary or the evolved version of the mon you are trying to get.

(This is especially true for things Porygon which you need to go through this process twice. Things like Scizor, Kingdra, Politoed, etc. are also hard to obtain unless you have 2 Nintendo systems.)

For bonus points, if you have those things in Gen V and thought you need not do it again in Gen VI, Game Freak has other ideas. You see, Pokémon transferred up from Gen V DOES NOT have the "Caught" symbol (which is the blue, red and white thing). So, good luck doing all the above again. (Don't even start on legendaries lol)

2) Limitation of Evolution.
FR / LG: Thanks to Game Freak not updating the Kanto Dex, you cannot obtain any Pokemon whose Dex Number is higher than 151, including evolutions of existing Pokemon such as Crobat, Kingdra and Porygon2. Nice job, Game Freak.

HG / SS : Not having the Moss Rock, Ice Rock and "Magnetic Area" means Pokemon such as Magnezone, Leafeon and Glaceon are unobtainable without trading. Oh, wait a minute, you CANNOT search for Pokemon you haven't seen on the GTS. Hey, why don't we visit the Battle Facility instead; who knows, maybe we get lucky and those Pokemon pop-up there? Tough luck, because for reasons best known to Game Freak, Pokemon seen in the Battle Facility does not count as SEEN in the Dex (a problem which continued until BW2 but thankfully have been rectified since then) . This means completing the Pokedex is nigh impossible without hacking or having 2 DS systems.

3) 3 of a Complete Set
HG / SS: Want to get a Rayquaza? You need to have captured Kyogre / Groudon from your version and somehow be able to obtain Groudon / Kyogre which originated from Heart Gold / Soul Silver to be able to access it (No, a Groudon / Kyogre caught in Ruby / Sapphire doesn't work, I tried). Exactly why Game Freak planned for people to part with their unique version-exclusive legendary and having themselves lose access to Rayquaza is anyone's guess.

^ This also extends to the Creation Trio, Tao Trio and Kami Trio in OR / AS.

EDIT: Just remembered another new annoyance

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I would just like to express my dislike towards events in the games that you can only do once per day. A few make sense (the lotteries), but for the vast majority of them, not only are they annoying, but there's no in-universe reason that you shouldn't be able to do them multiple times. Take the Mauville Food Court, for instance. You can fight the Fare Prince if you complete every prior battle in one turn, which I would have been able to do today if it weren't for a Rock Slide miss. But that's no big deal; I got different Pokemon and was ready to try again... only to be told that they were out of noodles? What?

First of all, it doesn't make sense from a gameplay perspective. It's a very difficult challenge to beat every Trainer in one turn, thanks to the sheer variety of stuff they throw at you. You have Triple Intimidate, Ground-immunity + EQ, Metronome, Teeter Dance + Own Tempo, and even 3 Impostor Dittos. I feel like if I fail, I should be able to try again.

Second, in-universe, it just doesn't work. Do you really expect me to believe that the player character, without fail, gobbles up the very last bowl of noodles every single day, thus implying that it will be unavailable to everyone else? There's a whole host of legitimate reasons they could have given instead. Trainers are limited to one bowl per day to make sure everyone gets a chance to battle. Surrounding Trainers see that you've eaten and are less likely to be on the prowl and suddenly form a line. The player makes the decision to not eat too much food and thus get fat (although realistically, competitive players shouldn't have that problem thanks to how many laps we bike around the Battle Resort).

The Food Court confuses me too since in XY they didn't limit you to how many times you can battle in the Restaurants. True they don't charge you for the Food Court... but if that's the reason I rather pay a fee than only being able to do it once a day. As long as you make it so the reward for getting perfect can be sold for more than the fee there should be no problem.

Not only is Kurt an old man but he's also making the Pokeballs by hand. He has to probably dry out the Apricorn first, remove the top stem, smooth it out into a ball shape, carve out the inside to make it hollow, insert the Pokemon catching mechanisms and who knows the complication or how much time to do that (especially since the essence of the Apricorn somehow affects it possibly adding another layer of complexity), paint and decorate it to look like the Pokeball it is (probably also adding protective layers of gloss to make it smooth and shiny), and probably let it dry multiple times between each layer of paint and gloss he puts onto it.

Now with that said maybe they should have him be able to do multiple ones of the same type at a time. But eitherway with the normal Pokeballs being mass produced Apricorn Pokeballs are pretty much designer Pokeballs, you either pay a lot for them and/or got to wait a while for the creator to make them perfect (and you know how artists can be with their work).

1) Pokemon that requires you to have them hold an Item while trading is incredibly annoying. You have to search for the (normally limited to 1) evolution item and then trade it on the GTS. Problem is, it's not guaranteed that other people are willing to have their Pokemon hold that Item for you. If other people mess you up, prepare to grind for BPs in the Maison. Oh, and if you think you can get around this by searching for it on the GTS or search for the evolved version, the offered Pokemon will only be traded for a legendary or the evolved version of the mon you are trying to get.

(This is especially true for things Porygon which you need to go through this process twice. Things like Scizor, Kingdra, Politoed, etc. are also hard to obtain unless you have 2 Nintendo systems.)

For bonus points, if you have those things in Gen V and thought you need not do it again in Gen VI, Game Freak has other ideas. You see, Pokémon transferred up from Gen V DOES NOT have the "Caught" symbol (which is the blue, red and white thing). So, good luck doing all the above again. (Don't even start on legendaries lol)
The way GF set up the GTS has been pretty bad. They pretty much did the bare minimum without putting much thought into how the mechanics of the game would effect trading. One of these mechanics being item evolutions and they should maybe have an option where you can request a Pokemon holding its evolution item in exchange for you putting up a Pokemon holding its evolution item. Sure I could set this up by going on internet forums but why should I go someplace outside of the game to do something that should be in the game? Though as I said previously with how they made the meta with IVs and EVs (not to mention Egg moves and multiple Abilities) they should honestly give you another way to evolve these Pokemon because its doubtful the Pokemon you'll get in a trade will be suitable or battle.
Of course they probably expect you to know at least one other person in real life who can trade with, which is a very possible thing in Japan but other parts of the world, well for me personally that isn't an option as I need to wait until I go to my cousin's which is mainly only during holidays and get togethers.

And yeah the whole "caught in Kalos" and "caught outside of Kalos" thing is BS since only you will be seeing that. It doesn't even stop you from getting the Oval or Shiny Charm so what's the point?

The GTS is flawed as a whole, because it doesn't give you enough options. I would even go further than Pikachu saying you should be able to request certain items and say that the GTS would be perfect if you could request everything: Items, EVs, IVs, shiny, abilities - you name it. That would stop so much trolling and actually make the thing useful.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The GTS is flawed as a whole, because it doesn't give you enough options. I would even go further than Pikachu saying you should be able to request certain items and say that the GTS would be perfect if you could request everything: Items, EVs, IVs, shiny, abilities - you name it. That would stop so much trolling and actually make the thing useful.
To the contrary, I think it would shut the entire thing down. I mean, if every eight-year-old could tick off boxes for requesting Shiny Pokémon with perfect IVs, why would anybody ever request anything else? The demand for such Pokémon is larger than the supply by several orders of magnitude, even bigger if you don't take hacking into account. Just look at how many people are already requesting one-off-Legendaries in exchange for their Caterpie. It'd be impossible to trade anything over the GTS if those same people could demand shinies as well.

To the contrary, I think it would shut the entire thing down. I mean, if every eight-year-old could tick off boxes for requesting Shiny Pokémon with perfect IVs, why would anybody ever request anything else? The demand for such Pokémon is larger than the supply by several orders of magnitude, even bigger if you don't take hacking into account. Just look at how many people are already requesting one-off-Legendaries in exchange for their Caterpie. It'd be impossible to trade anything over the GTS if those same people could demand shinies as well.
Thanks for pointing this out, I have always been against the concept of a STS(Shiny Trading Station) that most seem to want by limiting trading options as in the end it would cause more harm than good.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I always thought that their should be a tier of what you could ask for depending on the Pokemon:

Pokemon you can breed more of: Can only ask for other Pokemon you can breed more of.
Legendaries: Can only ask for Legendaries and Pokemon you can breed more of.
Mythical: Can ask for anything.
Shiny: Can ask for anything AND have an option to request the other Pokemon also be a Shiny.
Non-Mythical Event: Can ask for anything AND have an option to request the other Pokemon also be from an Event.
Shiny Event: Can ask for anything AND have an option to request the other Pokemon also be Shiny and/or from an Event.

Also I have no problem with the search system, I just have a problem with the information they tell you. What I want to know about a Pokemon I want is its Stats, Ability, Nature, IVs, EVs, Moves, and is it holding an Item.

Finally I also think there should be an option to either to "Immediate Trade" (first first to offer the Pokemon wanted gets the trade (pretty much the system we have now)) or a "Offer Trade" (multiple people can make offer for a certain trade until the trader decides to accept one).

And that's on top of other special trade I would have like a Vivillon Swap and a before mentioned Evolution Swap.

Last edited:
I always thought that their should be a tier of what you could ask for depending on the Pokemon:

Pokemon you can breed more of: Can only ask for other Pokemon you can breed more of.
Shiny/Event: Can ask for anything AND have an option to request the other Pokemon also be a Shiny/from an Event.

Also I have no problem with the search system, I just have a problem with the information they tell you. What I want to know about a Pokemon I want is its Stats, Ability, Nature, IVs, EVs, Moves, and is it holding an Item.

Finally I also think there should be an option to either to "Immediate Trade" (first first to offer the Pokemon wanted gets the trade (pretty much the system we have now)) or a "Offer Trade" (multiple people can make offer for a certain trade until the trader decides to accept one).

And that's on top of other special trade I would have like a Vivillon Swap and a before mentioned Evolution Swap.
What is the difference between a mythical and event. I mean, there are event pokemon that aren't mythical, but, as of last time I checked, mythical pokemon can only be obtained through events. Also, I don't see how a non-shiny event should allow you to request getting a shiny, because I have seen 5 shinies, 2 were in-game events that were forced shinies, 1 I traded away, and 1 I missed because I mistook a shiny Hoppip for a Skiploom. Meanwhile, I have gotten 16 events that I can still remember, and probably more that I can't. That would make event pokemon far more common than shinies.

Also, there is Pokerus, which you should be able to offer for whatever and request with anything Legendary or above.

Also, requests for something illegal (like level 9 or under for any legendary or event pokemon other than Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus, Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina) should not even be allowed to be made in the first place.

Lastly, there should also be an option to request that only certain players can accept the trade because people will do stuff like level 2 fletchling for level 100 Xerneas to trade their pokemon over to another game without pokebank or while holding an item.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
What is the difference between a mythical and event. I mean, there are event pokemon that aren't mythical, but, as of last time I checked, mythical pokemon can only be obtained through events. Also, I don't see how a non-shiny event should allow you to request getting a shiny, because I have seen 5 shinies, 2 were in-game events that were forced shinies, 1 I traded away, and 1 I missed because I mistook a shiny Hoppip for a Skiploom. Meanwhile, I have gotten 16 events that I can still remember, and probably more that I can't. That would make event pokemon far more common than shinies.

Also, there is Pokerus, which you should be able to offer for whatever and request with anything Legendary or above.

Also, requests for something illegal (like level 9 or under for any legendary or event pokemon other than Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus, Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina) should not even be allowed to be made in the first place.

Lastly, there should also be an option to request that only certain players can accept the trade because people will do stuff like level 2 fletchling for level 100 Xerneas to trade their pokemon over to another game without pokebank or while holding an item.
When I say Event I mostly mean the non-Mythical ones. Anyway I separated Shiny and Event, originally I thought since they're both special Pokemon they could be interchangeable but thinking about it I guess most people with an Event Pokemon would ask to also have it being Shiny. Also I added a section for Shiny Event.

Hmm, Pokerus... I feel Pokerus should be told on the status screen but other than that it's a bonus whether you get it or not. Heck, maybe even add a mechanic that if a person has a Pokemon with Pokerus that even if the traded Pokemon doesn't have it it'll "catch it" just as its being traded.

And yeah, they got to do a better job not being able to request an impossible Pokemon.

You mean a white list? I guess, though "Offer Trades" would be a way around that too.

Shiny: Can ask for anything AND have an option to request the other Pokemon also be a Shiny.
Non-Mythical Event: Can ask for anything AND have an option to request the other Pokemon also be from an Event.
Shiny Event: Can ask for anything AND have an option to request the other Pokemon also be Shiny and/or from an Event.

Availability is the only thing we need, available in game, and not available.

If not available it can't be deposited nor requested.

Trying to put tiers to shiny, legends and breedeable for the things that can be offered based in such status would only clutter the system, seriously it's a terrible idea. You can only trade legend for a legend or higher... If you can't see the inherent problems that come with such idea I can't honestly help you.

Everything for everything minus non game obtainable aka events outside of the main game is the best situation to fix the GTS.

You want an annoying thing in Gen VI? The entirety of Route 13.

You have those burrow encounters that you can't Repel away. Better put your Flier in front, because otherwise sixty percent of all such encounters are mandatory fights because of Arena Trap, and if you have a slower mon the Sand Veil Dugtrio can prevent escape too. The wind has a tendency to strike at the worst time, making access to the Charge Beam TM (which requires you grind west along a rail) difficult. Long story short, that route freaking sucks.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Availability is the only thing we need, available in game, and not available.

If not available it can't be deposited nor requested.

Trying to put tiers to shiny, legends and breedeable for the things that can be offered based in such status would only clutter the system, seriously it's a terrible idea. You can only trade legend for a legend or higher... If you can't see the inherent problems that come with such idea I can't honestly help you.

Everything for everything minus non game obtainable aka events outside of the main game is the best situation to fix the GTS.
Yes, because that would stop all the people putting up a com mon and demanding a Legendary...

Also I'm talking about requesting a Pokemon. If a person wants to trade their Mewtwo or a Ratatta then they can. But a person with a normal Ratatta can't request for a Mewtwo.

You want an annoying thing in Gen VI? The entirety of Route 13.

You have those burrow encounters that you can't Repel away. Better put your Flier in front, because otherwise sixty percent of all such encounters are mandatory fights because of Arena Trap, and if you have a slower mon the Sand Veil Dugtrio can prevent escape too. The wind has a tendency to strike at the worst time, making access to the Charge Beam TM (which requires you grind west along a rail) difficult. Long story short, that route freaking sucks.
Not to mention the grind rails are a bit finicky to get working correctly there.

Yes, because that would stop all the people putting up a com mon and demanding a Legendary...

Also I'm talking about requesting a Pokemon. If a person wants to trade their Mewtwo or a Ratatta then they can. But a person with a normal Ratatta can't request for a Mewtwo.
Actually that is the problem, stopping people from asking for X given Y value tends to escalate horribly as now you are restricting and setting an arbitrary value on the things from the get go, instead of letting
the collective community validate the worth of the game elements.

What's next, shiny can be offered in return for legend, or legend can only be traded for shiny or shiny legend of a given value? You are complicating the scale on useless criteria instead of giving the player base the sense of freedom that comes attached with the core of the franchise, trading bugs through a cable.

The only real criteria needed is availability as to Pokémon unobtainable cannot be requested nor put into the GTS, that by itself would speed up the process.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Actually that is the problem, stopping people from asking for X given Y value tends to escalate horribly as now you are restricting and setting an arbitrary value on the things from the get go, instead of letting
the collective community validate the worth of the game elements.

What's next, shiny can be offered in return for legend, or legend can only be traded for shiny or shiny legend of a given value? You are complicating the scale on useless criteria instead of giving the player base the sense of freedom that comes attached with the core of the franchise, trading bugs through a cable.

The only real criteria needed is availability as to Pokémon unobtainable cannot be requested nor put into the GTS, that by itself would speed up the process.
Okay, how about adding onto the search tool like letting us have options to remove or only see Legendaries, Mythical, Shiny, and Event Pokemon? And that'll be in addition to preventing impossible Pokemon to be requested.

Okay, how about adding onto the search tool like letting us have options to remove or only see Legendaries, Mythical, Shiny, and Event Pokemon? And that'll be in addition to preventing impossible Pokemon to be requested.
Events shouldn't be allowed as a criteria at all in any generation, especially if it is starting, the Mera fact that you can request it clusters the system.

I do admit that adding a filter to Pokémon by ingame status would be good as long as the criteria doesn't include the category shiny as it would allow for cleaner searching, anyways search by name already defeats that purpose(instead of searching for legend I can just type Landorus and Zapdos and find them and by using the event filter I remove non tradeable Pokémon only leaving XX Pokémon I want request for Y obtainable Pokémon), but again giving the ingame status a label of value would really hinder the perception of a Pokemon worth.

If can be traded through GTS/WT normally, then fine. If not, then don't allow it to be requested in the first place. But then, the GTS is 99.998% full of crap at any one time. That's just how it is. (the reasonable trades go really quickly) It's easier to arrange a trade with someone if a Pokemon evolves through trade while holding an item, like Seadra with Dragon Scale, than try and rely on the GTS where everybody wants freaking Arceus or Hoopa. (possibly Volcanion too if they know it exists, even though it's not at all out yet)

Another thing that the GTS could do is only show you trade offers that you have the pokemon to go through with the trade on. This would get rid of all the requests for illegal pokemon (unless, of course, you hack in a level 9 Zekrom or some such, in which case you deserve to have to deal with all those requests).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Another thing that the GTS could do is only show you trade offers that you have the pokemon to go through with the trade on. This would get rid of all the requests for illegal pokemon (unless, of course, you hack in a level 9 Zekrom or some such, in which case you deserve to have to deal with all those requests).
Hmm, not so sure about that one. There have been plenty of times when I saw a Pokemon that, though I didn't have at the time, I could have easily gotten by catching one in the wild or breeding for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)