ORAS Battle Spot to Unban Pokemon Obtained in Past Generations

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/87695c25-6f32-4c8b-9854-0408e96a590a

(Can't find english one)

Starting September 15th (Season 12), non Pentagon Pokemon will be allowed for Singles, Doubles, Triples, and Rotations. The Pentagon restriction remains for the Special Battle format, however.

Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire - Special Battle Season 12

The Special Battle rules for Season 12 have been revealed. Season 12 will run from September 15th 2015 to November 17th 2015 and runs on both X & Y and Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire. In this Special Battle ruleset, both XY and ORAS games will be competing with eachother in the rankings, despite battles being separate for each league. The base rules for this season are as follows:
Battle type: Single Battle
Pokémon Restrictions: National Pokédex except Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Diancie and Hoopa. Pokémon that have been transferred through Poké Transporter cannot be used
The other standard rules apply, including reduced to Level 50 if above that, and you choose 3 Pokémon out of your 6, and you cannot have two Pokémon holding the same hold item.

Some notable returning Pokemon include: ExtremeSpeed Entei, Suicune (+Sheer Cold), HA genies, Eruption Heatran, Refresh Salamence and Seismic Toss Kangaskhan.

Also Follow Me Magmar, if your name is Sejun Park.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh shit! for those of you who haven't played XY Battle Spot, Sheer Cold Suicune was some NASTY stuff! You all better watch out for that thing @_@.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I guess that explains why Special is kinda boring this time around, was trying to make sense of why they decided combining XY and ORAS rankings was a good idea for a Special. Removing pentagon restrictions for the actual ladders is actually interesting, though I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to Sheer Cold Suicune. Might give Sheer Force Landorus a try since I've got one of those sitting around waiting to be used for something.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm really not super happy about this. One of the main reasons I love the ORAS league is that it's pentagon-only, and you don't have to worry about running into things that are blatantly hacked / edited such as that Follow Me Magmar, lol.

I've also been spending quite a lot of time breeding stuff for teams I have in mind for the upcoming season, if I knew it would allow transfers I would have just got someone to RNG them for me ;_;

Ah well, at least we can theorymon some cool new combinations for megas that weren't around in XY. Refresh Mega Salamence and Double-Edge Mega Glalie / Mega Altaria are the first to come to mind.

Another thing I don't like is that the battles between ORAS games and XY games will be separated (obviously due to compatibility issues), yet they will be on the same rankings ladder o_0 if you aren't playing any games against the XY players on an ORAS game, why should you be ranked against them? (I hope I'm understanding the translation correctly).

And what is the special ladder? Is it just normal singles with a pentagon rule? (So classic ORAS singles?). Maybe I'll just play that...

I just don't understand why this is necessary at all. I hope the English PGL updates soon and provides some clarity.

Sad to lose the on-cart VGC ladder. Still hoping it'll get it's own ladder with the proper time limits, probably just too similar to standard doubles though.
At least I can put my slew of RNGed mons to some use.

Was there a reason for this change? Did they just not want to limit the meta?

It seems weird to put out a message about cracking down on hackers/cheaters but then remove the pentagon rule a few weeks later.

I'm not totally opposed to this as there's only so many changes to the meta. Gonna have to find me a sheer cold suicune though.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I think people hack Gen 6 as much as they do with Gen 5 so it doesn't really matter anyways. Especially now since savefile injections have returned thanks to the 3DS homebrew, allowing anyone to edit as they wish.

That said, Wish Chansey may be taking it a little too far, and it did see some use in the XY ladder apparently (mostly seen in rotations).

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Welp now Sheer Cold Suicune is trending on Japanese twitter lol.

Other (minor) changes:
softboiled clef
mud slap kang
counter ttar and gengar
iron defense mandi
cotton guard banette
and all the other XD stuff

I guess GF is on the verge of giving up on preventing hacks

My Cotton Guard Banette and SC Suicune are going to have some fun :)

Maybe they are doing this to catch the hackers, if you know what I mean :).

My feelings about this are really mixed. On one hand, it means we won't have to SR for hours on end to get competitive legends; we can just RNG them in previous generations. On the other hand, I've always used Battle Spot to practice for VGC, which is Pentagon-only, so it can no longer be reliably used.

Maybe VGC 2016 will remove the Pentagon restriction?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think people hack Gen 6 as much as they do with Gen 5 so it doesn't really matter anyways. Especially now since savefile injections have returned thanks to the 3DS homebrew, allowing anyone to edit as they wish.

That said, Wish Chansey may be taking it a little too far, and it did see some use in the XY ladder apparently (mostly seen in rotations).
I was talking about this exact thing on a Facebook group I'm in.. Although I'm still against hacking coz I'm a goody two shoes like that, with the pentagon rule it doesn't actually put hackers ahead of the non-hackers since everything they hack can also be obtained by the common player (they hack out of laziness for convenience), whereas people who hack past-gen exclusive stuff does give them a competitive edge over those who can't, which isn't fair to me. For example; Wish Chansey, a Pokemon which basically doesn't exist due to rarity, can now be hacked in by any idiot and used to stall people's brains out...

Someone in that same Facebook group suggested that Nintendo may have some ulterior motive for allowing this all of a sudden, like gaining information on what the common hacks are so they can quick ban them in later seasons or something. I don't agree with that but I did think it was kinda funny when they mentioned that...

Welp now Sheer Cold Suicune is trending on Japanese twitter lol.

Other (minor) changes:
softboiled clef
mud slap kang
counter ttar and gengar
iron defense mandi
cotton guard banette
and all the other XD stuff

I guess GF is on the verge of giving up on preventing hacks
All this complaining blinded me from the fact that I can now use the shiny Counter Gengar I got RNG'd for the Maison n_n I suppose the pentagon-scrapping-rule won't be changed no matter how much I don't like it so I might as well take advantage of the situation and utilise some cool exclusive moves. Baton Pass Zapdos seems really interesting to me, may have to call sole favours over in wifi though haha

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Someone in that same Facebook group suggested that Nintendo may have some ulterior motive for allowing this all of a sudden, like gaining information on what the common hacks are so they can quick ban them in later seasons or something. I don't agree with that but I did think it was kinda funny when they mentioned that...
My suspicion is that it's related to the upcoming VGC16 season somehow.

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
On another note, I dont think Doubles and Triples will be effected too much tbh. Biggest things I can think of are... those Follow Me mons like Magmar / Electabuzz / maybe Blastoise, I guess ExtremeSpeed Entei may be cool...

Otherwise, I think battle spot doubles will still work mostly fine for VGC practice, and I cant imagine Triples is going to be shaken up.

Rotations on the other hand, may have to deal with hacked Wish Chanseys. Wish is excellent in rotations, so recovering almost all your health with Chansey sounds super deadly! I hope gamefreak gives out a new event...

And like I said before, Sheer Cold Suicune is going to be vicious in singles. Im damn near tempted to run something weird like sturdy Magnezone for it >_>

On another note, I dont think Doubles and Triples will be effected too much tbh. Biggest things I can think of are... those Follow Me mons like Magmar / Electabuzz / maybe Blastoise, I guess ExtremeSpeed Entei may be cool...

Otherwise, I think battle spot doubles will still work mostly fine for VGC practice, and I cant imagine Triples is going to be shaken up.

Rotations on the other hand, may have to deal with hacked Wish Chanseys. Wish is excellent in rotations, so recovering almost all your health with Chansey sounds super deadly! I hope gamefreak gives out a new event...

And like I said before, Sheer Cold Suicune is going to be vicious in singles. Im damn near tempted to run something weird like sturdy Magnezone for it >_>
Doubles/triples has eruption heatran and defiant genies back

Also stoss kan is pretty good in every format

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah even if defiant genies were a thing in vgc2013 no flying gem means it's not going to make a lot of difference in this season. Eruption heatran might be though, just like Kosuke's finals team.

Yeah even if defiant genies were a thing in vgc2013 no flying gem means it's not going to make a lot of difference in this season. Eruption heatran might be though, just like Kosuke's finals team.
I think defiant thund can be decent even without gems. And sky drop hitting everywhere in triples is pretty good

Not a metagame shaker of course, but another usable mon at least

Last edited:

Theorymon

Oh DOH I totally forgot about Eruption Heatran! Man that is gonna be great in triples! Probably pretty good in doubles too.

I never actually saw Stoss Kangaskhan in doubles or triples, I only saw them in singles and rotations. Certianly worth a try though, getting around Intimidate and being able to invest in bulk sounds pretty good to me!

Well, at least I have a Sheer Cold Suicune.

On the other hand, I think this is kind of crappy. I thought the whole point of the pentagon rule was that it allowed them to prune the meta of past events.

Ugh, Eruption Heatran is going to show up in Triples.

Theorymon

Hey guys this situation MIGHT have just gotten more complicated... http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/a917da63-51d7-4008-abc2-242ec482c263

So apprently, the wording of the english and japanese press releases imply that the no pentagon rule might be only for THIS season o_O

Is it possible to email these guys or something? I remember MythTrainerInfinity emailing the guys to fix a legality problem with Wide Guard Swampert (since he wanted to test it in triples) and that apprently worked. I hope this gets clarified soon, because this is really really weird!

I'm not liking this 1 bit. I don't care how much xy experience I've had and oras showdown early bss where restrictions weren't in effect. This season alone and still rising atm, I have 641 games played and finally found a team that *I* can sorta autopilot to 1800+ only to find out the metagame will shift. If this was last season, I would've been excited as until this season I struggled very badly to break past 1795.

Isn't the combining XY and ORAS rankings an idea just for the battle spot special?
-cut-

I don't see how Nintendo can understand if someone is a hacker with this trick. I believe that the best way is check each Pokemon via save file in the SD card. For example if the Pokémon when it was generated had a Sassy Nature and an ugly ivs spread and now that Pokémon is perfect, then that mon is hacked. But I realize that I'm talking about exaggerated things. But IMO this is the best way

Is it possible to email these guys or something? I remember MythTrainerInfinity emailing the guys to fix a legality problem with Wide Guard Swampert (since he wanted to test it in triples) and that apprently worked. I hope this gets clarified soon, because this is really really weird!
Uh, I hope yes. If it would be possible I don't know how many changes I would suggest to them. lol

Last edited:

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
It's kinda hilarious how everyone whined about the Pentagon-only rule for ages, and now that Battle Spot is Pentagon-free, we're already wanting the rule back.

Personally, I'm not too sure how I feel about this change. It's nice that I can use things like Double-Edge Glalie, Swords Dance Qwilfish, and Sheer Force Landorus now without having to deal with free mode, but this ruleset also makes the tyrants of Battle Spot even more ridiculous to deal with. It also, in some cases, promotes hacking for things such as Refresh Salamence.

Also, a bit of shameless advertising, for those who need the old Poke-Goddess of Battle Spot, I RNG bred a Kanga. Please don't kill me for breaking Battle Spot.

Bruh, I already have in mind what team i'll use for the single. Stall hax: Body Slam M-Kangaskhan (thanks Xen ) Wish chansey, cotton guard mega banette, random gliscor with guilottine, sheer cold suicune and I don't know yet. I am wondering how I can obtain sheer cold flawless suicune hunm

Wait, If I remember well for have flawless mons in the past generations you must use the RNG. But for have a good spread didn't you set the date in the future/past for a determinate ivs spread? Yeah 'cause i remember i caught naive hp ice Cobalion flawless with the date set in 2020.
But doesn't Nintendo banish who uses mons that have invalid datas (like the date)? Here there's the risk that someone can be banned when the player did nothing of bad.

Am i right?

Last edited:

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Bruh, I already have in mind what team i'll use for the single. Stall hax: Body Slam M-Kangaskhan (thanks Xen ) Wish chansey, cotton guard mega banette, random gliscor with guilottine, sheer cold suicune and I don't know yet. I am wondering how I can obtain sheer cold flawless suicune hunm

Wait, If I remember well for have flawless mons in the past generations you must use the RNG. But for have a good spread didn't you set the date in the future/past for a determinate ivs spread? Yeah 'cause i remember i caught naive hp ice Cobalion flawless with the date set in 2020.
But doesn't Nintendo banish who uses mons that have invalid datas (like the date)? Here there's the risk that someone can be banned when the player did nothing of bad.

Am i right?
Dates are perfectly fine, since anyone can change the date on their DS even if they're not RNGing.

In fact, previous generation Pokemon don't even have caught/transfer dates anymore, so yeah.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Defog yet. While it isn't gonna be huge, since hazards aren't as common, I'm really feeling a Defog Lati. Coupled with ExtremeSpeed Entei, because that's gonna be great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)