Uberscast

Hi. Some users in the Ubers community are interested in doing an Uberscast soon, and with Ubers Open just around the corner and the Summer Seasonal more than halfway over, I figured they are probably right. There is a lot to talk about right now, including:

• Metagame trends and changes (hi again Gothitelle, glad to see you survived rectal cancer)
  • Ubers Open: what it takes to win consistently and which users have a chance to make a deep run
  • Interesting Summer Seasonal matches
  • Discussion about the community in general?
  • The usual stuff (underrated mons, good cores, etc.)

Use this thread to bring up other possible topics you'd like a prospective Uberscast to discuss. Also, if you're interested in being in the cast, make a note of that and give approximate times you'd be able to do this (as well as your timezone, of course). There's no guarantee you'll be chosen, but at the very least we'll make a note of your interest for future Uberscasts...and yes, you do need a webcam. Sorry, Smogon policy.

~Steelphoenix takes a swing but SHE CAN'T HIT~

I have a few questions I'd like to be answered:

-Will this uberscast be a success without me at the helm?
-Who actually backtracked on their decision in UPL3 regarding the activity win of dice over kebabe?
-Can I get a shout out or some sort of public mea culpa concerning gothitelle?
-Any fetishes you guys can share so the casters can be a bit more relate-able?

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
While obviously a lot gets done on the fly for casts and going off on certain tangents can be relevant, interesting, or funny, I think the people that end up wanting to participate need to go in with a plan and that whoever is leading the cast needs to sorta keep everyone on the same page. I'd suggest that people participating go in with a script which at the very least has topics and key points in an outline format. Coordination between the participants before the cast should also be encouraged as to make sure everyone knows what they are saying where appropriate.

The reason why I make these suggestions is that they can turn a jumbled mess of teenagers talking over cam about Pokemon into a professional level discussion, making it far more appealing and tolerable to watch for those interested. In the same vein, you really shouldn't volunteer to cast if you have a shitty camera and / or mic. I know good equipment is expensive, but you can get a pretty cheap setup that also looks and sounds very good. To whoever is capturing the cast, have good capturing equipment. Reason for this is again professionalism.

The final product should see some editing, especially if the cast covers a wide array of topics. Nothing screams lazy trash more than directly uploading long uncut video files that may or may not have blank space and other discrepancies. Sometimes the conversation itself needs a little boost to the pacing to make it more interesting to watch which usually involves strategically cutting out certain less relevant segments. You can go even further by inter-splicing match footage of the games that are being talked about over the discussion that is happening and doing title sections whenever topics drastically change; both are tools that make a cast much more interesting to watch. If nobody has the knowledge or tools to do this process, I don't mind doing it so long as all the relevant video files are sent to me.

After all of that it should go without saying that if a player is unwilling to show their face to do the cast then they shouldn't be doing it, so Smogon policy is a good call. If you aren't going to bother to put in the time to make a good product then you shouldn't be participating in it to begin with.

Hm,

-Thoughts on previous gens, and if anything has changed/"discovered" since.
-Thoughts on PDonner/M-Mence and what they do for the meta.

Am I interested in being part of the cast? Well, I am. I'm on EST AKA GMT-5, And I'm willing to do so from around 4 PM to, well, let's say 10 PM(though if it does go this long for me, I might take a small break at around 7PM to make and eat my supper)

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
I have a few questions I'd like to be answered:

-Will this uberscast be a success without me at the helm?
-Who actually backtracked on their decision in UPL3 regarding the activity win of dice over kebabe?
-Can I get a shout out or some sort of public mea culpa concerning gothitelle?
-Any fetishes you guys can share so the casters can be a bit more relate-able?
Pretty sure only one person's fetish has ever been mentioned in an uberscast :X

--

I'm always interested to watch the uberscast since I still follow the Smogon ORAS Ubers tier quietly and I like to see these sorts of interactive events in particular.

I'd suggest WreckDra be on the cast but idt he has a good cam/mic yet x_x maybe trout would be good on the cast too tho, idk what's his equipment like. Are we allowed to discuss who'll be on the cast/will people volunteer in the thread? To be honest there's actually a lot of people I'd enjoy seeing in the cast.

Mr.378

The Iron Man of Ubers
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
There's a good amount worth discussing like recent tour happenings and thoughts on current ORAS Ubers which I'm sure other people will bring up but I would actually like to be in this if possible. If the guys doing this are fine with it that is.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
I'd quite like to be in this, but considering my timezone, it'd be somewhat unlikely.

I'd quite like to see discussion about the development of the ubers metagame since the end of SPL to now, and some pokemon that the participants feel are underrated at the moment.

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
idk i'm completely fine with people doing it without a webcam, people have done SMOGCASTS without webcam before so citing that old rule is a bit stuffy.

another thing - participants of this need to be ABSOLUTELY SURE. maintaining fluidity in a conversation with ~6 people about a game of pokemon is more challenging than you think.

as for the stream itself, i doubt i'd be participating. i could maybe host it, and plug it heavily on facebook and twitter. ;]

if i've got it right, so far the line-up is Sweep / Steel / Edgar / Hack, correct? there's room for max another 4 people with current twitch templates IIRC.

also it seems the hot topic in ubers skype circlejerk is lower tier representation in official tournaments. that would be a good thing to put on the uberscast.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
We just spent about 2 hours on that topic. As a result I don't want to include it. I feel it would drag on for far too long while not being related to ubers.

Edit so the thread doesn't get clogged up: krau look at how much of that was actually ubers talk and look at how much of it was people disagreeing on trophy related things.

Last edited:

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
it's entirely related to ubers, and if you guys really want to push it, there's no better way to get attention than our social media resources. who cares if it drags on long lol, it's a skype call about recent happenings in ubers, and prospects of a new tournament is certainly relevant.

edit: also u fuckboys spent closer to 4 hours on it than 2 if you count this morning as well lol...

yeah as krauer said Im willing to show my ugly face, I just need to know when at what time exactly so I can schedule according to that.

topics:

- why does steel sound so cute
- why can't hack wavedash in melee
- the latest ubers sensation

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
i think this one should be, we're doing some stuff to try and hype twitch rn and to do that we need to only output our highest quality/most publicly popular content, so old gens shouldn't be the focus. i can't see the harm in touching on it a couple times, but nothing too long-winded.

Looks like a fun idea, i hope im able to see it.

Some topics i would like to hear about are ofcourse actual metagame and underrated mons/sets + uncommon tactics like for example gravity or trick room teams.

Also maybe some activities like battles between participants commenting their thought process or teambuilding in group to make it more entertaining.

About showing participants faces i would like to see them cause atm for me for example Sweep is an Omastar and Fireburn an oldman xD

Favorite mons/tactics to get an edge over Hyper Offense?

Its very easy to implement niche mons/sets to beat stall (goth and a bunch of stupid xern sets etc) but what do you like to use to ct the most prevalent(?) strategy right now?

Reactions: hyw
no no heatran has no niche in the meta and checks nothing relevant reliably. anything with tspikes is gonna be more relevant than heatran

How have everyones experience been so far in seasonal and open? (and I guess xy-tour of the cast isn't exclusive oras) And what are your goals? (placement or something else like using cool teams)

Opinion on players that "quit pokemon" and comes back just to spread toxicity now when they are irrelevant. It's it bad or maybe it's actually good for activity on the forums?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)