Resource OU Checks Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sylveon's main set is Choice Specs, and the main coverage move before the first slash is Hidden Power Fire, which is a 2hko against SpDef Skarmory.
The analysis set runs only 16spe, so Skarmory could be at least an NSI Check to that, 2hkoing with Iron head.

I'd even go as far as to say that Choice Specs is Sylveon's only non-outclassed set.
This is, however, poorly reflected in Sylveon's usage stats: only 42.753% of Sylveons run Choice Specs in 1825 usage. Assuming that only Specs Sylveon runs HP Fire, this still means that 50.315% of Specs Sylveons have something for SDef Skarmory.

Verdict: Either SSI or NSI based on the analysis, SSI based on the usage stats?

Sylveon's main set is Choice Specs, and the main coverage move before the first slash is Hidden Power Fire, which is a 2hko against SpDef Skarmory.
The analysis set runs only 16spe, so Skarmory could be at least an NSI Check to that, 2hkoing with Iron head.

I'd even go as far as to say that Choice Specs is Sylveon's only non-outclassed set.
This is, however, poorly reflected in Sylveon's usage stats: only 42.753% of Sylveons run Choice Specs in 1825 usage. Assuming that only Specs Sylveon runs HP Fire, this still means that 50.315% of Specs Sylveons have something for SDef Skarmory.

Then give it SSI considering Sylveon needs to predict correctly with HP Fire to nail Skarm ( or it will be walled otherwise ). That's also assing it isn't running HP Ground for Heatran.

Then give it SSI considering Sylveon needs to predict correctly with HP Fire to nail Skarm ( or it will be walled otherwise ). That's also assing it isn't running HP Ground for Heatran.

SSI based on whether it can switch in to STABs, wasnt it?

Situational Switch-Ins (SSI): These Pokemon can switch in safely under certain circumstances, but not always. Pokemon in this category can either switch safely into some variants of a threat but struggle against others, or they struggle with common coverage moves but can at least switch into a threat's STABs and other moves commonly used on switches (such as boosting moves and Knock Off) and win the matchup. This is somewhat of a "gray area" category, so there's a bit of flexibility here.
True, yuruuu.
The bit I set in bold is usually meant for faster Checks that can switch into the STABs. Because Skarmory is a stall mon, I didn't think about it somehow.

But of cause it works, because Sylveon gets locked. We already have Ferrothorn in Sylveon's SSI, so this one should have been obvious.

Edit: Wow, that's a lot of posts for today. Sorry for creating so much work, Tressed n_n

Last edited:
For Mega Altaria, I suggest adding both Kyurem-Black and Mamoswine for NSIs. The both of them heavily damage or knock out Mega Altaria with their Ice STABs ( Ice Beam and Icicle Crash) and can also revenge kill it at +1 ( scarf kyurem or ice shard for mamo). They can't switch in at all though.

For Mega Venusaur, promoting Talonflame to SSI can work, as SpDef Talonflame can easily switch into Sludge Bomb from an offensive Mega Venusaur. Offensive sets can't switch in, tho.

252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 141-166 (39.2 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

For Diggersby, Manaphy to SSI works, too. Defensive CM Manaphy checks the Scarf set well (if Jolly anyways which is usually superior and Adamant only has a small chance to 2HKO) and offensive sets can take a boosted Quick Attack from LO Diggersby if healthy enough, while Manaphy threatens back with its water STAB.

252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Manaphy: 170-200 (42 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Manaphy: 184-218 (45.5 - 53.9%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 220-261 (64.5 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Finally, Manaphy as a SSI to Mega Aerodactyl. Similar to Diggersby, defensive Manaphy walls Mega Aerodactyl and offensive sets are able to easily take a hit from full and hit back with a Water move.

252+ Atk Mega Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Manaphy: 135-159 (33.4 - 39.3%) -- 11.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 186-219 (54.5 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
About KyuB and Mamoswine for Mega Altaria: While Ice shard can not revenge kill it from full, Scarf Mamoswine or an intact Sash would work.
244 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Altaria: 156-187 (53.6 - 64.2%)

About SDef Talonflame for Mega Venusaur: Hmm, it obviously doesn't work on rocks. Switch ins used to be required to switch in on SR, but in the times of Mega Sableye I'm frankly not sure anymore.
If Stealth Rocks weren't an issue at all, SDef Talon with Will-o-Wisp would be a GSI. You can just burn it with Will-o-Wisp and then Spam roost. (You can't use Brave bird, since you don't ohko and will get 2hko'ed with the recoil in the worst case. You can't use Acrobatics, since you need Lefties to avoid the 2hko.)
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 141-166 (39.2 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and poison damage. (I don't quite understand why it can't 2hko since 46.2 - 6.25 + 12.5 = 52.45. But the Calc says it's a 3hko..)

About Manaphy for Diggersby: Hmm, you're thinking about Rain Dance + Rest? About 17% of Diggersbys run scarf in 1825 usage, and that's the only thing Manaphy can wall. That seems like a rather thin set, tbh.

Maybe modest offensive Manaphy can be a NSI Check (not sure). It lives any attack from +0 (life orbed), but without stealth rocks up it only has a 75% chance to ohko with Scald. (plus another 8.25% (33% of 25%) since a burn also lets it win). I wouldn't run surf over scald for this, since sash Diggersby is also a thing.
If it fails to ohko, Quick Attack will kill it.
Manaphy needs to sacrifice some speed if it wants to be save against banded diggersby. (31.3% chance to ohko on rocks from return vs. 0hp / 96def Manaphy).

Diggersby item distribution: [09:42:04] +TIBot: Life Orb 60.259% | Choice Scarf 17.357% | Focus Sash 15.521% | Choice Band 3.494% | Other 3.368%

About Manaphy for Mega Aerodactyl: Seems solid if it's defensive Manaphy. Offensive versions get 2hko'ed by Stone Edge, sadly.
248 Atk Mega Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Manaphy: 121-144 (30.1 - 35.9%)
248 Atk Mega Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 168-198 (46 - 54.2%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Solwbro isn't Lucario's GSI , i have a calc to prove this
252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Slowbro: 250-296 (63.4 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Charilax Blastler, we actually just discussed this and it comes down to the following:
To be GSI, a Pokémon only needs to switch into the moves listed in Lucario's usage entry and Analysis. It is not required to switch into any imaginable set, just the relevant ones. (Compare the Definition in Post 1 of this thread.)

Lucario doesn't run Dark Pulse on any of its sets, nor does it see enough usage to remove MegaBro.

Hmm, I'm confused. MGyara does not appear in the Lopunny checks (click).
At first I thought you read it the wrong way around, but Lopunny does not appear under MGyara's SSI either (It's in NSI, click).

Mega Aerodactyl Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:
I have a couple questions.

Here you wrote "These Pokemon cannot switch safely into a certain threat"
Who are " These Pokemon " ? And who are " Certain threat " ?
Are " These Pokemon " Mega Aerodactyl? And " Certain threat " the list in GSI/ SSI/ NSI ?

When you wrote "
Mega Aerodactyl Checks "
I understand this : " Mega Aerodactyl Checks Mega Sableye in GSI "

Shouldn't it be written as "
Mega Aerodactyl is Checked by: " ?
E
x: " Mega Aerodactly is checked by Azumarill in NSI "

Tressed

Are " These Pokemon " Mega Aerodactyl? And " Certain threat " the list in GSI/ SSI/ NSI ?

When you wrote "
Mega Aerodactyl Checks "

E

Tressed
Don't overthink it too much. It's a list of Mega Aerodactyl checks, therefore it's labeled "Mega Aerodactyl Checks." Mega Aerodactyl is the threat and the listed Pokemon check it.

Make sense?

When you wrote "
Mega Aerodactyl Checks "

E

Tressed
Mega Aerodactyl Checks doesn't mean "Mega Aerodactyl checks this mon, this mon, etc." It means "the checks to Mega Aerodactyl are ..."

To simplify, the pokemons listed as GSI, SSI and NSI are the ones that are able to switch in almost all of the time, in certain scenarios and in very specific scenarios respectively against the pokemon put in bold.

Edit: shedinja'd

Mega Aerodactyl Checks doesn't mean "Mega Aerodactyl checks this mon, this mon, etc." It means "the checks to Mega Aerodactyl are ..."

To simplify, the pokemons listed as GSI, SSI and NSI are the ones that are able to switch in almost all of the time, in certain scenarios and in very specific scenarios respectively against the pokemon put in bold.

Edit: shedinja'd
Thank you for simplifying and clearing it up for me.

DeltaFlame, that's on my Todo List for the Compendium Generator (see signature). When that's impemented, it will autocreate an inversed version of the OU Checks Compendium and it will probably be linked in this thread. So, no need to work manually on that. :]

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
is a Community Contributor
DeltaFlame, that's on my Todo List for the Compendium Generator (see signature). When that's impemented, it will autocreate an inversed version of the OU Checks Compendium and it will probably be linked in this thread. So, no need to work manually on that. :]
Wonderful. Good luck with it. :D

Is there any chance somebody could make a second thread like this that shows what each Pokemon checks instead of what checks it? I feel that would be useful for teambuilding as well.
How would this be useful for teambuilding? Like, you need a check for Landorus-T and Garchomp for instance, and you don't know what checks it. So you go to this inverse list and... ??? Look through what every Pokemon checks to see what checks both? It sounds easier to go to Landorus-T checks and Garchomp checks ITT and see what checks both.

I suppose this inverse list can tell you what your team already checks, but why would you need to know that?

How would this be useful for teambuilding? Like, you need a check for Landorus-T and Garchomp for instance, and you don't know what checks it. So you go to this inverse list and... ??? Look through what every Pokemon checks to see what checks both? It sounds easier to go to Landorus-T checks and Garchomp checks ITT and see what checks both.

I suppose this inverse list can tell you what your team already checks, but why would you need to know that?
Say you want a bulky Ground or something to round out your team, but you can't decide between things like Lando-T, Hippo or Tankchomp.
So you look at what checks more, and that could influence your choice.

Slowbro under Toxicroak switch ins?
252 Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 152-179 (38.5 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Mega Latias as a switch in to Lopunny?

Charizard-X under Mega Latias NSI? It can switch in on the CM and win if it's DD.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Slowbro under Toxicroak switch ins?
252 Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 152-179 (38.5 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Mega Latias as a switch in to Lopunny?

Charizard-X under Mega Latias NSI? It can switch in on the CM and win if it's DD.
You haven't caught on to the lord set known as Dragonbreath M-Latias. Where is your god now Celticpride?

I think Rotom-W should be removed from Slowbro-M and Suicune's switch-ins. While it's true that it takes little damage from their main attack (Scald), it's only method of damaging them is Volt Switch, which fails to 2HKO Slowbro-M and won't 2HKO Suicune once it gets to +1. While Rotom-W switches in again, those mons will get to +2 and can heal off its attacks or continue boosting up until they overwhelm it. Furthermore, the non-CM Slowbro-M set can 2HKO Rotom-W with Psychic after Rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)