Project PU Player of the Week 7: Raiza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
Approved by WhiteDMist
OP stolen from Leer in RU, who stole it from Lord Alphose and xzern from NU.
Past Players of the Week: Magnemite, galbia, gasquakee, scorpdestroyer, Simipour, Anty

Welcome to an experience unlike any seen before (bar in every other tier and some OMs), PU Player of the Week. This weekly thread hopes to capitalize and promote good players in the metagame, while helping newer players by giving advice and showing effective strategies in the metagame.

Raiza
Most Known for: Second Italian in Charge, Hosting a bunch of threads, Managing the winning PUPL team, C&C guy and Room Moderator, PU Council Member, Indecisive Avatar Selector,
Favorite Pokemon: Kingdra
Most Used Pokemon: Tangela​

Can you tell us a bit about yourself?
Hi, I'm a 17-yr old teen, and as most of you know I live in Italy, southern Italy more precisely, in a relatively small city. I really enjoy watching and playing football, but I practiced fencing in my childhood. I am kind of into music but I'm a casual so I don't like a precise genre, I like animals, especially dogs, hence I had one, but I currently am in possess of a turtle.
Where did the name "Raiza" come from?
My original nick wasn't Raiza, but when I decided to change it I remembered that in my childhood I played some Yu-Gi-Oh with friends, and I really enjoyed using the Raiza card which looked very cool, also the nick seemed ok so I used it.
How did you come to discover and join PU?
Before joining PU, I was a really avid OU player, especially in BW meta, but I got to a point where OU was just boring for me along with Pokemon in general so I needed a refreshing air to start enjoying the game again. I noticed the PU room on Pokemon Showdown so I thought it would've been cool to try the tier out as the people in the room also looked friend, and I also saw there was another italian that could've further introduce me into the tier so yeah here we are.
How do you feel about how ORAS plays compared to XY?
I didn't play much XY PU, as I joined the tier when ORAS PU was out, so I can't give a precise opinion on that, but I think the current ORAS meta is slightly more balanced than the XY one, which looked pretty funky but at the same time still fun to play.
How do you manage to host so many threads on the PU subforum?
I have some free time and magic powers.
What is some advice you have for newer players to the tier?
Lurk the subforum, it will help you guys a LOT to keep up with the pace of the metagame, stay updated on trends, and we are hosting many projects and tournaments so you can take part to them and play directly with more expert users to improve. Still, if you don't have an idea of how the forum and the tier work take your time and lurk some more before posting, especially in topics such as the Viability Rankings. Also, practice on the ladder, PULT is being hosted and the quality of the ladder is slight higher now, so it's definitely a good time to play there.
What Pokemon do you see as threats in the current metagame?
Vigoroth looks really threatening especially hearing what the others say. It has an outstanding bulk along with Eviolite which allow him to find many opportunities to set up, also the typing is nice and the weakness to Ghost-types can be patched easily with teammates that still have a good synergy. Water-types such as Floatzel and Simipour also look of course very scary after Poliwrath's departure, but I think Politoed can do a really good job in holding them along with other picks such as Roselia, even if they are not as reliable.
What playstyles do you think are the most common, and which do you think are the most efficient?
I think offense is the most common, and also the most efficient at the moment. Offense has many scary tools at his disposal, given that the tier is filled with offensive powerhouses. Though, I also think balanced and bulky offensive teams are efficient playstyles as PU carries some really good bulky Pokemon, such as the aforementioned Vigoroth, Tangela, Clefairy, and many others, also having a backbone as an answer to offensive teams is nice, so I think these two playstyles are still very viable.
If you could change one thing about PU, what would it be and why?
I enjoy PU as it is right now, so I wouldn't mind it to stay like this. If I really have to say something, it would be maybe some drops(Bouffalant please) as NU hasn't been really generous in these last tier shifts.
Who do you see as improving players in the tier?
I don't follow the scene of new players, but I think with new projects such as the King of the Hill and official room tours we'll be able to notice some new rising stars, we'll see though.
Can you provide a team that reflects you as a player with an explanation of how it works?
Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Pursuit

Fraxure @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Low Kick
- Iron Tail

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Encore
- U-turn
- Seed Bomb

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Def / 28 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Thunder Punch

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Purugly @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off

I didn't build much these days, but this is one of the teams I managed to build recently and I think it reflects my playstyle as a player focused around offensive playstyles. This team basically goes all out on allowing Fraxure to set up and sweep the opposing team. I have heard a lot of positive things about Metang so I decided to try it out as it has a cool typing synergy with Fraxure, and Stealth Rock support is fundamental to any sweeper. Pursuit is cool to punish opposing switches and chip out foes, which goes well along with Fraxure and the idea behind the team in general. In fact, my team is able to deal insane amounts of chip damage by just setting up Stealth Rock, and then gaining momentum, along with double priorities from Purugly and Dynamic Punch from Machoke, which also carries Bullet Punch to pull off additional damage. Encore Jumpluff is also another cool addition that allows Fraxure to find set up opportunities, since it also carries U-Turn. Choice Scarf Rotom-F kind of works similarly with Trick, and otherwise provides me a revenge killer. Of course there is much more behind the team but these are the main thoughts I used as a base to build this.

What are your thoughts on this week's interview? If you have extra questions for Raiza, feel free to ask them in the comments, and if you want a player interviewed, feel free to leave a post on my profile.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
why is your team so fucking similar to my sample? Like it's close to the same thing but worse D: (inferior sets, fraxure over gabite, purugly over vigoroth, rotom over zebra)

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
why is your team so fucking similar to my sample? Like it's close to the same thing but worse D: (inferior sets, fraxure over gabite, purugly over vigoroth, rotom over zebra)
Didn't want to give out any of my teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)