Battle Maison Discussion & Records

Hey, it's Magicxgame under a different account. I'm posting an update of 1100 wins to break the 3-way tie.

Battle #1100 - FAJW-WWWW-WW2Z-GKC8 vs. Aurorus / Rapidash / Darmanitan / Gallade / Rhyperior / Ninetales

The team's still the same. I have some ideas floating around, such as Landorus-T, Wide Guard Aegislash, and even Machamp, but nothing's set in stone yet.

I find it funny that a streak of 1,000 wins will only tie for 10th place now. Who would've thought?
"Even" Machamp!! Iv just finished levelling up a brave Machamp (or Mackogneur as he is now since he got switched to a french game for the evolution!) I want to see how he'll do under trick room condition in the maison (he was good in gen 4)..if I don't make any other post regarding Machamp in the maison then assume it hasn't gone well! ....let us know how you use him?
:iv gone no guard with Dpunch/stone edge/Bpunch and still undecided between knock off/ice punch..will probably go knock off tho

Here some details about my former 4559 win streak in X/Y with the following team:

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 SpDef
Adamant
Item: Sharp Break

- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- Taunt

Mega-Blastoise
Ability: Torrent / Mega Launcher
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd
Modest
Item: Altarianite

- Protect
- Water Spout
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam

Greninja
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 6 SpDef
Timid
Item: Focus Sash

- Mat Block
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Typhlosion
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest
Item: Choice Specs

- Eruption
- Flame Thrower
- Focus Blast
- Extra Sensory

Hydreigon
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 6 SpDef
Modest
Item: Life Orb

- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

Aegislash
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 SpDef
Brave
Item: Leftovers

- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

The plan is to open with Tailwind/Water Spout/Mat Block as usual and dominate the battles from there on. Typhlosion like in my other team is used as a back up spread attacker, Hydreigon as a powerful Dark Type with great coverage and two STAB cross field attacks and Aegislash as a second physical attacker that's good on its own, slow enough to be useful under Trick Room and has priority.

Grass and Dragon Types can usually be dealt with Brave Bird/Ice Beam/Ice Beam usually so them resisting Water Spout is not much of a problem. Water Types as well as immunities via H20 Absorb/Storm Drain/Dry Skin are more annoying as I only have Grass Knot as an attack that's super effective against most of them, but powerful neutral attacks are often enough to win without too many difficulties.

The by far biggest threat is Trick Room as the team is vulnerable when it is outspeeded and Aegislash is weak to Ghost Type Attaks which are common in opposing Trick Room Teams. By attacking with Talonflame and/or Greninja instead of using Tailwind/Mat Block you can get rid of most Trick Room users before they can move so that was my primary strategy against them. The Electrics that outspeed Greninja are dangerous as well as they might attack and KO or severely weaken Blastoise making Water Spout useless, so it has to Protect and you lose a turn in case they did not target it. Also Crobat, which tends to Taunt Greninja combined with something that can really hurt Blastoise is uncomfortable opposition. Additionaly multiple Water Types with water resistance and/or things with Water immunities via ability (especially if they include Slowbro or Slowking which might be immune to Taunt and need to be attacked by Talonflame and Greninja to make sure they cannot use Trick Room) can be a difficult match-up.

Further annoyances are users of Fake Out and status attacks (especially Paralysis, Sleep, Teeter Dance), hax items, Choice Scarfers with Rock Slide, multiple opponents being faster than Greninja, Honchkrow using Snatch and Bastiodon with Sturdy (Blastoise can deal with it thanks to Aura Sphere but not being able to use Water Spout can hurt sometimes).

The loss against an Eeveelution-Team was quite unnecessary and avoidable but me being very tired (it would have been the final batte for that day even in case of a win) resulted in some misplays and the AI playing rather uncharacteristicly (for example using Yawn more than usual) led to the loss.

Here again the battle videos for this team:

H5TG-WWWW-WWW8-Y995

B2RW-WWWW-WWW8-Y9K7

XR9W-WWWW-WWW8-Y9KA

8PMW-WWWW-WWW8-Y9KF

2TLW-WWWW-WWW8-Y99B

FYTW-WWWW-WWW8-Y99M

SN4G-WWWW-WWW8-Y9KH

ZLFW-WWWW-WW2N-FH5T

G29G-WWWW-WW2N-FH6U

T5ZW-WWWW-WW2N-FHA2

In comparison to my team around Mega Altaria this one is more powerful (especially because of full health Water Spout doing notably more damage than Hyper Voice) and able to win most battles in one or two fewer turns (very often before Tailwind runs out) but has a tougher time against teams with combinations of things that threaten it. Altaria not being weak to Electric and that Mega Altaria basically isn't threatened by anything faster than Greninja and depends much less on good health as well as Altaria's 4x Ice weakness, which for example keeps Slowbro and Slowking from using Trick Room and Jynx and Weavile from using Fake Out minimizes the need to Protect at the start and makes an unfavorable outcome of the first turn much less likely, while still having decent enough power to control a huge majority of battles. So in the long run and with the right back-ups it's the superior choice as the leading spread attacker in my opinion.

Last edited:
lol fourth time I got to the chatelaines in multis, fourth time they lead with either Landorus or Terrakion. I'll probably break my 3ds if this shit keeps going. If anyone here has a maison team with typhlosion and something more reliable than a mr. mime message me so we can register each other because this shit is ridiculous.

lol fourth time I got to the chatelaines in multis, fourth time they lead with either Landorus or Terrakion. I'll probably break my 3ds if this shit keeps going. If anyone here has a maison team with typhlosion and something more reliable than a mr. mime message me so we can register each other because this shit is ridiculous.
I'd just switch out Charizard for Mega Kangaskhan that battle and use Fake Out. Legendaries are bulky enough that Drought Eruption doesn't KO any resists, so Charizard isn't bringing much to that battle.

Last edited:
I'd just switch out Charizard for Mega Kangaskhan that battle and use Fake Out. Legendaries are bulky enough that Drought Eruption doesn't KO any resists, so Charizard isn't bringing much to that battle.
I thought about beating 49 battles with this team, since getting there has gotten very easy, and then switch the team completely to something that could take her on. If I take out Charizard, Typhlosion won't be doing much either so I'll have to look for another AI partner and mine aren't that great. The best one has a Registeel and a Heatran which are both weak to Sacred Sword. I'll add some people for friend safaris and see if I get lucky.

Edit: Kangaskhan would also be weak to Sacred Sword and I don't know if it would be able to outspeed and take out any of their pokemon with one return.

Last edited:
Just wondering why my streak was updated? I thought the rules were that they had to be in incriments of 200 or something when the streak was ongoing?

On top of which, I had won 86 battles, not 36; but that is irrelevant as I had never intended that post to be an update per se. I had quickly lost my drive again from playing a few weeks ago, but had two aggravating battles due to my nemesis Glaceon, so I had wanted to share the replays. I have no qualms whatsoever with my streak being dropped back down to 1000 until further notice.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, so I'm using probably the only time I'll have internet until Tuesday to update on a new Super Singles team I am currently using. It's a test team for two Pokemon I don't see anywhere on the records for Super Singles: Zoroark and Doublade.

This is what it looks like (some alterations could be made):

Zoroark (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
IVs: 31/31/0/xx/31/31
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Counter
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

Doublade (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 244 SpD
IVs: 31/31/31/xx/31/31
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Durant (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Truant
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Entrainment
- Crunch
- Confide
- X-Scissor

Durant only has Confide because I had given it Confide in Pokemon Y to test a team involving Drapion and Mega Gyarados; I don't currently have the TM for Confide on ORAS so I just left it there in case I need Confide on Durant for a future team (it is never used on this one.) The idea behind using Doublade is simple: No Guard. As No Guard means it will not miss, Double Team users can Double Team all they want but won't be able to avoid the attacks no matter what, giving it a very huge advantage over Aegislash (my streak with Durant / Dragonite / Mega Absol ended due to a Double Team user so that shows how having No Guard is kind of a big deal.) Zoroark gets in as a CounterSash lead; usually, Zoroark can take take out at least one Pokemon by itself and severely weaken another.

Doublade uses a Careful Nature and heavy Special Defense investment because, uninvested, even with the Eviolite its Special Defense would be trash coming off of base 49. Due to this, it will need investment to be able to have even a chance of taking on Heatran and living to tell the tale. With the given investment, Doublade's Special Defense stat is 110, bringing it up to an equivalent of 165 with the Eviolite taken into account, giving it perfectly respectable Special bulk. At +6, you're hitting pretty hard anyway. Pretty much nothing outside of strong STAB super-effective Special attacks will OHKO this thing.

Zoroark more or less functions in one of two ways depending on what I need: It either quickly dents the opposing team (between Counter, Focus Sash, and its coverage, at least one Pokemon is going down unless you don't make the right call regarding Counter/Taunt), making a Doublade sweep easier, or it gets switched out comes in later to take care of something Doublade couldn't (in particular, if Zoroark is up against something it loses against 1v1.) Either way, it pretty much takes care of the things Doublade can't take care of. Even with Eviolite and Special Defense investment, Doublade still has a hard time against Heatran and Pyroar (more specifically, Heatran2 and Pyroar4 due to Overheat,) but moreso Pyroar because of Pyroar's base 106 Speed compared to Zoroark's 105 (however, I think Pyroar4 is the only one that can OHKO Doublade from full HP and it's slower than Zoroark due to having a Modest Nature) so saving Zoroark is important (even if it only has 1 HP left!) in case you need to take out something that Doublade couldn't. The Defense IV of zero is there to maximize Counter damage (which would be more effective with a Hasty Nature as well but I didn't really feel like putting it through breeding until I got that.)

I just started my streak (currently at less than 20 battles) but I'll come back to this thread with more information on how it's going when possible.

Hi, so I'm using probably the only time I'll have internet until Tuesday to update on a new Super Singles team I am currently using. It's a test team for two Pokemon I don't see anywhere on the records for Super Singles: Zoroark and Doublade.

Zoroark (M) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Counter
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

Doublade (F) @ Eviolite
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Jolly Nature
- Entrainment
- Crunch
- Confide
- X-Scissor

Durant only has Confide because I had given it Confide in Pokemon Y to test a team involving Drapion and Mega Gyarados; I don't currently have the TM for Confide on ORAS so I just left it there in case I need Confide on Durant for a future team (it is never used on this one.) The idea behind using Doublade is simple: No Guard. As No Guard means it will not miss, Double Team users can Double Team all they want but won't be able to avoid the attacks no matter what, giving it a very huge advantage over Aegislash (my streak with Durant / Dragonite / Mega Absol ended due to a Double Team user so that shows how having No Guard is kind of a big deal.) Zoroark gets in as a CounterSash lead; usually, Zoroark can take take out at least one Pokemon by itself and severely weaken another.

Doublade uses a Careful Nature and heavy Special Defense investment because, uninvested, even with the Eviolite its Special Defense would be trash coming off of base 49. Due to this, it will need investment to be able to have even a chance of taking on Heatran and living to tell the tale. With the given investment, Doublade's Special Defense stat is 110, bringing it up to an equivalent of 165 with the Eviolite taken into account, giving it perfectly respectable Special bulk. At +6, you're hitting pretty hard anyway. Pretty much nothing outside of strong STAB super-effective Special attacks will OHKO this thing.

Zoroark more or less functions in one of two ways depending on what I need: It either quickly dents the opposing team (between Counter, Focus Sash, and its coverage, at least one Pokemon is going down unless you don't make the right call regarding Counter/Taunt), making a Doublade sweep easier, or it gets switched out comes in later to take care of something Doublade couldn't (in particular, if Zoroark is up against something it loses against 1v1.) Either way, it pretty much takes care of the things Doublade can't take care of. Even with Eviolite and Special Defense investment, Doublade still has a hard time against Heatran and Pyroar (more specifically, Heatran2 and Pyroar4 due to Overheat,) but moreso Pyroar because of Pyroar's base 106 Speed compared to Zoroark's 105 (however, I think Pyroar4 is the only one that can OHKO Doublade from full HP and it's slower than Zoroark due to having a Modest Nature) so saving Zoroark is important (even if it only has 1 HP left!) in case you need to take out something that Doublade couldn't. The Defense IV of zero is there to maximize Counter damage (which would be more effective with a Hasty Nature as well but I didn't really feel like putting it through breeding until I got that.)

I just started my streak (currently at less than 20 battles) but I'll come back to this thread with more information on how it's going when possible.
If you're looking for something else that is unique and can ignore evasion while also being able to deal damage since Doublade is probably going to get stopped by a lot of stuff after battle 40 (random example: can't even KO a Raikou with +6 Shadow Sneak) you could also consider something like (Mega)Metagross, (Mega)Tyranitar, Tyrantrum, or Barbaracle with Hone Claws/Protect/Rock Polish/STAB.

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I thought about beating 49 battles with this team, since getting there has gotten very easy, and then switch the team completely to something that could take her on. If I take out Charizard, Typhlosion won't be doing much either so I'll have to look for another AI partner and mine aren't that great. The best one has a Registeel and a Heatran which are both weak to Sacred Sword. I'll add some people for friend safaris and see if I get lucky.

Edit: Kangaskhan would also be weak to Sacred Sword and I don't know if it would be able to outspeed and take out any of their pokemon with one return.
I thought of switching in a Follow Me Togekiss for the battle to redirect Landorus Earth Power, but Terrakion has Rock Slide which will not be redirected. Assuming Terrakion/Landorus leads, I can't think of many things that'd salvage it... Follow Me would allow Typhlosion to get off one Eruption (or Focus Miss if the AI is feeling lucky), but it will still get hit with Rock Slide. Fake Out on either target won't save Typhlosion from both opponents, and Wide Guard would not block Earth Power.

Maybe Sash Mamoswine to Icicle Shard Landorus while baiting Sacred Sword from Terrakion (and the other Musketeers), then Aegislash in the back for clean-up. It still doesn't sound that reliable, but it seems a little better than ZardY for this battle, at least.

What about using Gyarados..easy to breed if u don't have one already (I got spitbacks if u need) only move he don't like is rock slide but that gets nerfed after intimidate, enough to get in a DD to sweep and doesn't care about sacred sword at all??

I thought of switching in a Follow Me Togekiss for the battle to redirect Landorus Earth Power, but Terrakion has Rock Slide which will not be redirected. Assuming Terrakion/Landorus leads, I can't think of many things that'd salvage it... Follow Me would allow Typhlosion to get off one Eruption (or Focus Miss if the AI is feeling lucky), but it will still get hit with Rock Slide. Fake Out on either target won't save Typhlosion from both opponents, and Wide Guard would not block Earth Power.

Maybe Sash Mamoswine to Icicle Shard Landorus while baiting Sacred Sword from Terrakion (and the other Musketeers), then Aegislash in the back for clean-up. It still doesn't sound that reliable, but it seems a little better than ZardY for this battle, at least.
I really don't see any reliable strategy that counters all of their pokemon. All the ones I think of always rely on them not bringing one or more pokes, and I've been extremely unlucky.

What about using Gyarados..easy to breed if u don't have one already (I got spitbacks if u need) only move he don't like is rock slide but that gets nerfed after intimidate, enough to get in a DD to sweep and doesn't care about sacred sword at all??
I have one Adamant (164HP 196Atk 4Def 76SpD 68Spe). I don't know if it would be able to outspeed a Terrakion with 1DD though. And this requires she doesn't lead with Thundurus.

I really don't see any reliable strategy that counters all of their pokemon. All the ones I think of always rely on them not bringing one or more pokes, and I've been extremely unlucky.

I have one Adamant (164HP 196Atk 4Def 76SpD 68Spe). I don't know if it would be able to outspeed a Terrakion with 1DD though. And this requires she doesn't lead with Thundurus.
No it wouldn't, ignoring choice scarf terrakion (terrakion2) ud want to get over 176 speed to beat terrakion. I use 148 speed ev's (stat = 180 after 1 DD) to get ahead of terrakion/latia(o)s/thunderus/tornadus after 1DD

Last edited:

With Kangaskhan, the worst-case scenario is that you buy one extra turn for Typhlosion to attack with a full-powered Eruption. If you face off against Landorus and Terrakion, you can Fake Out Landorus while Typhlosion KOs it and Terrakion Sacred Swords Kangkaskhan (which Kangaskhan survives most of the time anyway). That alone is better than getting double KOed on the first turn, and the more likely scenario is that Kangaskhan uses Fake out on the one threatening lead while Typhlosion does heavy damage to both opponents on turn 1.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Zoroark (M) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Counter
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

Doublade (F) @ Eviolite
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Jolly Nature
- Entrainment
- Crunch
- Confide
- X-Scissor

Also, every OHKO move user will get a guaranteed kill on Doublade thanks to No Guard, and Doublade can't OHKO any of them with +6 Shadow Sneak (and is outsped by the ones it would rather hit with Sacred Sword). So any team with Walrain4, Articuno2, Whiscash4, Donphan4, Wailord4 and Landorus1 will just beat you

Is the team generation method used by opponents in the Maison documented at all? In particular, the process selection used to make the opposing teams have effective counters to your own. I'm aware that each trainer has a list of Pokemon he/she/it uses, however, I'm not aware how it generates its roster when battling the player.

I'm interested in making a small utility to compare the effectiveness of your team to the general Maison trainers and their Pokemon. Essentially, it would rate your team against the roster of each trainer, and then provide a final rating which could indicate the effectiveness of your team. The rating would be based on the offensive and defensive capabilities of both team's movesets, types, stats, and relevant abilities. Without the team generation method, such a utility could still provide an overview of immediate strengths and weaknesses, but I figure it could be more effective with this information.

Well, I've reached a streak of 176 in Super Triples so far. Now, I haven't finished yet; it's still going on. However, I'm changing teams. The team I used up to 176 was a fun team that I wanted to try out and it's certainly proved itself, so I'm posting this here to let you guys see what Pokemon and sets I used (all starters, two per type, one per generation). Here's my front lineup:

Maelstrom (Blastoise) @ Blastoisinite
Modest / Rain Dish -> Mega Launcher
IVs: 31/xx/31/31/31/31
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
- Water Spout
- Dragon Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Water Pledge

Eos (Chimchar level 1) @ Focus Sash
Jolly / Iron Fist
IVs: random
EVs: none
- Fake Out
- Helping Hand
- Protect
- Taunt

Demie (Serperior) @ Wide Lens
Timid / Contrary
- Leaf Storm
- Grass Pledge
- Glare
- Gastro Acid

Okay, so there's the first half of the starter team. The objective is to set up the Pledges turn 1 and begin sweeping turn 2. Chimchar generally disables all the opponents by Faking Out one opponent, while having the other two opponents target and KO it. Usually, I target the fastest Pokemon that might kill off another frontliner. (Once I didn't flinch Jolteon, only to have it Thunderbolt Blastoise before I could pull off a Pledge combo.) Once all the opponents focus on Chimchar, Serperior uses Grass Pledge. Now, what I didn't know before is that once one Pokemon uses a Pledge, the other teammate combines its Pledge immediately after, regardless of Speed. So once Serperior pulls off Grass Pledge, Blastoise immediately joins in.

If you didn't know, when two differently typed Pledge moves are used, it just becomes one move that hits with one type with double the power, and creates an additional effect. In this case, Mega Blastoise moves second and so it pulls off the attack on either the left or center Pokemon; the attack is Grass-type (shame, no STAB, but it has a better SpAtk stat and 160 power hurts anyway); and the effect is that a swamp that quarters the opponents' Speeds for three turns. Yes, quarters. It also affects flyers and Levitators. As you can see, this allows slow but strong offensive Pokemon to join in and wreak havoc. From here, Chimchar is usually dead, but if not, it'll use Helping Hand to boost another move before dying. M-Blastoise just hits the two left targets with Water Spout unless the situation calls for a different move, which is rare. Serperior boosts its SpAtk through Leaf Storm and keeps going until it hits +4/+6, which is when it usually goes for Grass Pledge again. Glare is great for fast threats that I fear might remain after the swamp ends. Gastro Acid? You'll see later.

My backups:

Noui (Greninja) @ Life Orb
Timid / Protean
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Mat Block

This is standard Triples Maison Greninja. Come in, Mat Block to protect teammates, and then just keep on attacking as appropriate.

Tephra (Typhlosion) @ Choice Specs
Modest / Blaze
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 Spe
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Focus Blast
- Extrasensory

When Chimchar dies, Typhlosion usually takes center and starts throwing Specs Eruption at the opponent. (Serperior can remove Flash Fire from right-side mons with Gastro Acid.) Because of the swamp, I wasn't too worried about investing in Speed. To be honest, the last two moves are rarely used, I guess Focus Blast could be for things like Hydreigon and Extrasensory for Tentacruel, but the sideliners take care of Pokemon like these just fine. When Typhlosion is low on health and the opponents are slow, I'll usually switch it out so it can come back in with Blaze-boosted Heat Wave.

Calyx (Sceptile) @ White Herb
Timid / Unburden
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Frenzy Plant

Okay, to be perfectly honest with you, I only included Sceptile to fulfill that rule of two per type, one per generation starters. Honestly, I could easily do with most other Pokemon that hit hard, and actually, a physical set might be better since I struggle with Blissey a lot. The idea is just to Leaf Storm to get doubled Speed in case swamp ends, then attack the opponent with whatever move (although each STAB has its drawbacks). I also included Frenzy Plant because there wasn't much else and I wanted to have a finisher if it ever got to 1v1, although I don't use it anyway.

As you can see, the first three are pretty much the entire team strategy, and from there it's just muscling past each opponent; not much can take full power Specs Eruption + Water Spout/Leaf Storm. As I mentioned, this team struggles with special walls (an opponent once led with Florges/Blissey/Snorlax and it was a nightmare). But now that I've gotten this far with a fun team like this, I think it's time to go back to a serious team.

Battle Videos:
Y2FW-WWWW-WW2P-24DW
Chatelaine Battle #50, made tough by a random Thunder Wave rather than an attack.

5NGG-WWWW-WW2P-24DM
Battle #75, a more normal battle to show how the team functions.

XY8G-WWWW-WW2P-24EC
Battle #176, my last battle with this team.

Off to 177!

Is the team generation method used by opponents in the Maison documented at all? In particular, the process selection used to make the opposing teams have effective counters to your own. I'm aware that each trainer has a list of Pokemon he/she/it uses, however, I'm not aware how it generates its roster when battling the player.

I'm interested in making a small utility to compare the effectiveness of your team to the general Maison trainers and their Pokemon. Essentially, it would rate your team against the roster of each trainer, and then provide a final rating which could indicate the effectiveness of your team. The rating would be based on the offensive and defensive capabilities of both team's movesets, types, stats, and relevant abilities. Without the team generation method, such a utility could still provide an overview of immediate strengths and weaknesses, but I figure it could be more effective with this information.
No, there is nothing at all like this in the Maison. You have the same odds of facing a team your lead(s) can steamroll as you do meeting one or more pokes that give you trouble.

There's little use for a rating you're proposing, when instead players should pore through the data dumps and find the individual threats to their various teammates while building it. There are so many combinations that may or may not be problematic, and you can only prepare for so many circumstances.

No, there is nothing at all like this in the Maison. You have the same odds of facing a team your lead(s) can steamroll as you do meeting one or more pokes that give you trouble.

There's little use for a rating you're proposing, when instead players should pore through the data dumps and find the individual threats to their various teammates while building it. There are so many combinations that may or may not be problematic, and you can only prepare for so many circumstances.
Regarding team generation: that's nice to know. Thank you.

Regarding the utility and its usefulness: I made a utility of sorts in February of this year for an MMO I play to rate the efficiency of abilities, rotations, and equipment when fighting a single particular type of monster. The monsters in question are really old, and only a good source of money and xp compared to new content. Very few people fight these other than on "slayer contracts." The utility has only been used by me, but it let me determine the most efficient methods to kill as many of these monsters per hour by simulating hundreds of hours of combat with my parameters in under a minute.

Why do I mention that? Because frankly, I don't care if anyone else finds a "rating utility" useful or even cares about it; however, I know I would use it. Rather than manually compare the offensive and defensive capabilities of various teams to hundreds of individual Pokemon and trainers' teams they can appear on, I can automate the process dramatically. Interestingly enough, the sheer number of threats to account for actually does make a utility like mine useful, rather than the "brutish scholar" approach you suggest.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Regarding team generation: that's nice to know. Thank you.

Regarding the utility and its usefulness: I made a utility of sorts in February of this year for an MMO I play to rate the efficiency of abilities, rotations, and equipment when fighting a single particular type of monster. The monsters in question are really old, and only a good source of money and xp compared to new content. Very few people fight these other than on "slayer contracts." The utility has only been used by me, but it let me determine the most efficient methods to kill as many of these monsters per hour by simulating hundreds of hours of combat with my parameters in under a minute.

Why do I mention that? Because frankly, I don't care if anyone else finds a "rating utility" useful or even cares about it; however, I know I would use it. Rather than manually compare the offensive and defensive capabilities of various teams to hundreds of individual Pokemon and trainers' teams they can appear on, I can automate the process dramatically. Interestingly enough, the sheer number of threats to account for actually does make a utility like mine useful, rather than the "brutish scholar" approach you suggest.
First, just echoing ReptoAbysmal that there is absolutely NO evidence of the AI "counter-teaming" players. It's immensely frustrating how many places on the internet claim counter-teaming to be a fact, when it almost certainly is not. It ends up misleading a lot of people, and contributes to the canard that you shouldn't bother with the Maison since the AI will just cheat you anyways. Grumble grumble.

Regarding your proposed utility and its usefulness:

If it's something that interests you, absolutely give it a go. At the very least, trying to figure out how to value things may give you some better insight on team design. That said, there's enough nuance in how different Pokemon and teams interact that I think automating maison theorymoning to the point that it can be really valuable to an experienced Maison teambuilder will be very difficult. Perhaps starting by attempting to build a program to just list the individual maison Pokemon that appear to be the most threatening to an inputted team might be a better first step, as identifying the particular threats a team may struggle with is likely much easier than jumping immediately to some overall measure of team effectiveness.

Note that the list of potential foes is short enough that manual theorymoning is not all that painful of a process, particularly once you've built up some maison familiarity and can thus take a number of mental shortcuts, so the efficiency and accuracy required before a team-rating program becomes a truly valuable resource are quite high. That said, I've certainly written programs for things I've found interesting/useful even when the appeal to a broader user base is not extensive, so even an imperfect maison team evaluation algorithm could absolutely be worth the time to develop if you enjoy such work. And sometimes, really impressive things come out of such projects. But the bar is high! Good luck.

Yes, I had found numerous references to counter-teaming and that is what spawned my question. Good to know (for better or worse) that team generation is completely random.

As far as the utility, it would be used more like the discovery tools used by lawyers to grok large amounts of data for relevancy. In particular, my utility would highlight "problematic" Pokemon and trainers, much like you described. The rating system would just be a representation of the advantage/disadvantage your Pokemon/team has against various others. By no means would it be able to adjust a team, or provide any advice other than highlighting issues; at best the user (i.e., me) would look at the output and say "Hey, this team has a big weakness to Trainer Bob due to (lack of coverage/type matchup/whatever)." Again, I'm aware experienced Maison battlers probably won't need it, because unlike law, the Pokemon are static (well, per game/generation). Though I suppose when a "Pokemon Z" rolls around, if it features dramatically different Maison trainers and Pokemon, it could be useful in the beginning.

In any case, thanks for the clarification about team generation. I believe I have all the data necessary now.

Nelson Tangela said:
I have two 3DS and two games (X and OR). Are the games compatible for Super Multi Battle? That's the only trophy that I'm missing.
Unfortunately, they are not compatible. I have Y Version and Omega Ruby Version, and I tried the same thing a while back. X and Y are compatible, and similarly, ΩR and αS are compatible.

Yes, I had found numerous references to counter-teaming and that is what spawned my question. Good to know (for better or worse) that team generation is completely random.

As far as the utility, it would be used more like the discovery tools used by lawyers to grok large amounts of data for relevancy. In particular, my utility would highlight "problematic" Pokemon and trainers, much like you described. The rating system would just be a representation of the advantage/disadvantage your Pokemon/team has against various others. By no means would it be able to adjust a team, or provide any advice other than highlighting issues; at best the user (i.e., me) would look at the output and say "Hey, this team has a big weakness to Trainer Bob due to (lack of coverage/type matchup/whatever)." Again, I'm aware experienced Maison battlers probably won't need it, because unlike law, the Pokemon are static (well, per game/generation). Though I suppose when a "Pokemon Z" rolls around, if it features dramatically different Maison trainers and Pokemon, it could be useful in the beginning.

In any case, thanks for the clarification about team generation. I believe I have all the data necessary now.
Since there is no counter teaming (just law of averages) and the amount of combination possibilities would ultimately tell you that there is no 'perfect team' partly because it's not just about the pokes but how you use them.. Jumpman16 Kangliscune team isn't just made up of the 3 strongest pokes..its the way he uses them which is so formidable, something that a data sheet couldn't give you information on.
But what about an advanced damage calculator..where someone could input their poke and it's stats then ur program would feed back what AI poke could OHKO/2HKO then if I see for example that Thunderus4 focus blast OHKO 2 of my poke then I'd know I need either a counter or strategy to overcome him. Damage calcs are a pain as each one has to be done individually and only very experienced maison battlers or data lovers would know what AI poke carry moves that have the potential to wipe out one of your pokes so i think for teambuilding it can help in the early "theorymon' stages (hope this makes sense im on mobile, i'll edit it later if it doesnt!)

Last edited:
Since there is no counter teaming (just law of averages) and the amount of combination possibilities would ultimately tell you that there is no 'perfect team' partly because it's not just about the pokes but how you use them.. Jumpman16 Kangliscune team isn't just made up of the 3 strongest pokes..its the way he uses them which is so formidable, something that a data sheet couldn't give you information on.
But what about an advanced damage calculator..where someone could input their poke and it's stats then ur program would feed back what AI poke could OHKO/2HKO then if I see for example that Thunderus4 focus blast OHKO 2 of my poke then I'd know I need either a counter or strategy to overcome him. Damage calcs are a pain as each one has to be done individually and only very experienced maison battlers or data lovers would know what AI poke carry moves that have the potential to wipe out one of your pokes so i think for teambuilding it can help in the early "theorymon' stages (hope this makes sense im on mobile, i'll edit it later if it doesnt!)
Regarding "there being no perfect team," I know. However, there is a concept (or scale, perhaps) or "unviable" and "viable," which a team with Swampert, Gastrodon, and, Palpitoad being right at the bottom of "unviable" and the record-breaking teams here being right at the nice end of "viable." Unless there were some game-breaking mechanic involving these Water/Ground trio, no strategy could push them towards the "viable" end because of their extreme defensive weakness, let alone their lackluster coverage and so on.

My utility was going to handle damage calculations across all Pokemon you may encounter and the moves they may use. That's necessary to determine how well your team or Pokemon compares, just comparing stats or types won't do much... It would also show your offensive capabilities.

Seriously, I'm well aware how Pokemon battling works competitively (Maison or against another player). Like I said, any utility would only be used to provide a broad look at the effectiveness of a team from a broad viewpoint. Of course it's not going to make someone who sucks at team building or has no idea what strategies work any better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)