MAC No.1: TOXIC MASCOT (New & Shiny Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
op stolen from elcheeso who stole it from someone else

concept originally by Bucky

We're pretty sure this is approved by Bummer

The older users of Smeargle's Studio may remember the Monthly Art Contests we used to have. And the newer ones may have heard of it but not know what it is. Well, the MACs were a time-honoured tradition of Smeargle's that sadly fell along the roadside a little while ago. But Tikitik and I are bringing it back!

L'Smeugen Concours Mensuel d'Art

The Monthly Art Contest (MAC) is a long-standing tradition in Smeargle's Studio, dating back to 2010. Each month, a new themed contest begins. Submissions are open for a number of weeks, after which a poll will open and users can vote for their favourite entries. All entries must follow the theme set by the moderator in charge, and winning entries will receive prizes!

Rules

1. All global forum rules apply.

2. Submissions must follow the theme of the current contest to be eligible.

3. No plagiarism. Participants caught tracing or passing another's work off as their own will be disqualified from the current MAC, and permanently banned after a repeat offense.

4. Comments and criticisms are welcome, but posts such as "This one is definitely going to win/lose!" or "This sucks!" will be deleted, and such posts may get you warned.

5. Avoid spamming the thread excessively.

6. Voting for yourself in the poll is prohibited, and persons caught doing so will have their entry revoked. Likewise, do not create multiple accounts to vote.

7. Submissions should be no larger than 1000 by 1000 pixels.

8. Any sort of visual art is acceptable as a submission as long as it fits the theme. This includes, but isn't limited to: traditional art, digital art, sculptures and food. If you've got any doubts about whether your submission is acceptable, feel free to PM me about it.

9. We welcome suggestions for themes! To suggest a theme, PM brightobject or Tikitik .

Prizes

Following the end of each contest, the 1st and 2nd place winners will be featured with full critique in a Smogon Article, as well as on Smogon's Facebook page and Twitter.
More prizes may be added in the future!

Have fun and good luck!

Current deadline is October 6th. Extensions may be granted on a case-by-case basis.

Last edited:
For those of you who will be entering for the first time, be sure to read all the rules carefully before applying, and to the others that already have experience with MAC, remind yourself again! Alright, now that we have the new thread up and running it's time to discuss the part that you've all been expecting: the theme that you'll be doing! (which you basically read from the thread title, it really kills the surprise.)

For the theme of this round of MAC, we'll be taking a look back at the theme of the very first Monthly Art Contest, to remind ourselves of the old days. That's right, the theme of this round is Toxic Mascot! But wait, there's a twist. Instead of having the exact same concept all over again, we'll change this up a little. In the spirit of new things, you'll be drawing our mascot in its shiny version!
To correct myself now, our theme is Toxic Mascot: New and Shiny Edition!

The rules are simple, draw a shiny Koffing or a Weezing! Or both! I'm certain that any further explanations aren't needed, so don't hesitate and start sketching, planning and drawing right away, and lets honour the beginning of MAC with a fantastic contest filled with entries from talented people!

Pent

dumb broad
Question, you say this in the OP.

op stolen from elcheeso who

Prizes

Following the end of each contest, the 1st and 2nd place winners will be featured with full critique in The Smog, as well as on Smogon's Facebook page and the Art of Smogon Twitter.
More prizes may be added in the future!
The Smog has been discontinued here on Smogon, yet replaced with the Article Workshop. What are we gonna do with this? Simply remove it and leave it to the Twitter and Facebook pages?

Other than that, great to see that MAC is back. May participate in a few, but not planning to when I can barely keep up with Daily Draws.

Best of luck to you all.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

The Smog has been discontinued here on Smogon, yet replaced with the Article Workshop. What are we gonna do with this? Simply remove it and leave it to the Twitter and Facebook pages?

Other than that, great to see that MAC is back. May participate in a few, but not planning to when I can barely keep up with Daily Draws.

Best of luck to you all.
Es fijado ahora. Yo pongo los palabras "Article" y dejo el uso de los palabras "The Smog" en mi PO. Lo siento.

Best of luck to you all.
I notice that bo has already replied (not in English for some reason), but I'll leave a post as well. With the change from a webzine to individual articles, the articles getting released are simply more time sensitive and it doesn't change the fact that the work of the winners will be featured in a Smargle's Studio Update article.

I'll remind bo to update the op with that later, I guess the excitement took his mind off things that he needed to do. :V

May I enter? If so, may I show a work in progress that I did just now?

Obviously, I'm not finished, but I wanted to show you guys what I was doing on a whim.
It's certainly nice to see a WIP so quickly, thanks for posting! Just to clarify, you guys can feel free to showcase any sort of WIPs you have for the sake of sharing or discussing them with other artists in this thread as well.

Last edited:
Still tinkering with this. WIP

I really want to hit on my impression of Weezing: a very sick animal living in a constant state of agony due to its horrific fusion evolution. Vile clouds of poison and toxic drippings ooze out of its many crater-like orifices, rotting it from the inside out until the wretched creature can no longer bear the torment its life has become, and self-destructs.

Then I put some sparkles on it.

Just gonna remind everyone that there is roughly 48 hours left to submit your artwork, so if you left a WIP lying around and collecting dust or were planning on revisiting your current submission, it's about time to wake up and do it!

Wondering for in the future, seeing as this one is in the voting process now, do all pictures need to be scanned, or is alright to take a photo and simply upload that? It's a rule I remember in CAP, and I want to know if it applies here before I try doing anything for a future MAC.
This is also probably the wrong place to ask, but oh well.

brightobject

there like moonlight
Wondering for in the future, seeing as this one is in the voting process now, do all pictures need to be scanned, or is alright to take a photo and simply upload that? It's a rule I remember in CAP, and I want to know if it applies here before I try doing anything for a future MAC.
This is also probably the wrong place to ask, but oh well.
nah, 'tis fine to ask here.

I'd say you can do either, but obviously scanning will look better ~80% of the time and will probably give you a better chance of grabbin' those votes

I't s all up to you in the end :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)