2015 Musics - Join us at #Tunes

Status
Not open for further replies.
that was a great review, I fully agree with it. articulated my views on the weeknd as a whole really well

There's nothing I love more than fedora-clad columnists who over-analyze pop music and try to sell their article as some sort of glob of intellectual prowess. Fucking go to a club or something Simon Chandler

The Weeknd is catchy and takes next to no brainpower to enjoy, therefore I find him to be a decent artist. If I'm looking for some lifechanging musical experience I obviously do not turn towards The Weeknd.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I like twenty one pilots! :) Very interested to see how their music is going to change as they start taking bigger steps off the beaten path with their songs.

that is a quite a copout. it may be written in a pretty pretentious manner but it gets the points across and the points themselves are spot on. ok, its pop. that doesnt mean it doesnt come across as obnoxiously self-indulgent whining over boring, unoriginal music. you might be content with letting it slip in one ear and out the other (in which case i have to ask why even bother listening) but that doesnt mean the criticism isnt valid.

i don't think he was saying it was invalid, just that it didn't affect his enjoyment of the album.

which is how i feel about it.

i don't think he was saying it was invalid, just that it didn't affect his enjoyment of the album.

which is how i feel about it.
This.

I do not give a fuck about pop music being "self indulgent". If I'm willingly listening to pop music (which is rare as it is) I'm looking for catchy hooks and foot-tapping beats. The Weeknd provides that and does it quite well. Again if I'm looking for music with profound meaning I'm definitely not going anywhere near The Weeknd, I just take each artist for what they are rather than having some arbitrary scale where every artist must fulfill my thematic needs.

the writer doesn't have any arbitrary scale. the writer doesn't seek for artists to fulfill their thematic needs. they merely attacked an aspect of the album that they saw as inauthentic and shallow. for them this affected their enjoyment of the music. just because you don't look @ genre x for characteristic y doesn't mean that you can't criticize the artists of that genre for that characteristics. of course the characteristic matters. don't dismiss a criticism of pop music because u consider pop music simple, because other music is somehow above it, and because you only seek out pop music for your superficial needs of booty shaking and baby making. it deserves just as much criticism as any other art.

I don't really care about The Weeknd, but the article was some hilariously terrible and pretentious journalism and I can't take it seriously even if its criticism was on point. That's just not how you write articles, no matter what you have to say.

I don't really care about The Weeknd, but the article was some hilariously terrible and pretentious journalism and I can't take it seriously even if its criticism was on point. That's just not how you write articles, no matter what you have to say.
You've acknowledged that its criticism might be on point, yet you're calling it hilariously terrible and pretentious journalism? But surely the point of journalism is to research and express an opinion? So if the criticism is on point I don't see how it could be terrible and pretentious journalism, perhaps you mean just the writing style? But there's little wrong with the writing style so I'm not sure what you mean

Regardless, I'd be eager to find out exactly "how you write articles" and how you don't

I just skimmed the article again and there isn't a single word in there that any adult writer or journalist would have to use a thesaurus to find out about. Heck I'm 17 and the only word I had to look up was "engendered", and its meaning was pretty obvious in context anyway. Also, people are allowed to embellish their writing if they want it to sound more compelling, interesting, evocative, harsh, etc depending on their purpose. Many have, and that's why the whole field of literature analysis exists.

I disagree, it doesn't make the article more compelling or interesting for me because its simple points don't warrant the usage of such big words. To me the article looks like something I'd find on /r/iamverysmart and that is never a good thing if you want to be taken seriously. The "self-loving wankery" that the author talks about in the article shines through regardless if he has any valid points (which I have trouble finding because they're hidden under unnecessary expression whose meaning might as well stay hidden to me).

PenQuin

!dice 100
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
I like twenty one pilots! :) Very interested to see how their music is going to change as they start taking bigger steps off the beaten path with their songs.
I agree, i love these guys and their music. Their music has changed a bunch since their first album.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
First the new Young Thug mixtape dropped (been on heavy rotation the past few days) and now Julia Holter's album is up for streaming (and thus soon to be released)? Excellent week so far.

God damn guys. When I first heard this I was like "okay it's really good but doesn't top the first album" but now that I've listened to it a few hundred times (despite Oneohtrix Point Never leaking and Deafheaven's album coming out @__@ only Chvrches can keep me away from those records) I honestly think it might be better than their first which is really quite a feat. The Bones of What You Believe was my top album of 2013 and one of the best pop albums anyone's ever made, but now we have THIS fucking glorious masterpiece of synthpop perfection. I think this is literally a 10/10 and actually SOMEHOW is competing with Kendrick for top album of 2015 so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)