Smogon Tour 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
As European I've to say that this is a very fair decision. We Europeans can still play easily on saturday (10 pm our time, 9 pm after timeshift) or sunday (8 pm our time, 7 pm after timeshift) while people from Ocenia would have almost no time to play otherwise (friday would be like 8 am without the change, saturday 6 am and sunday 4 am).

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Starting week 4 of this Smogon Tour, the Friday's tournament will start 2 hours later than the current time, at 8 PM EST (instead of 6 PM EST).

This change is made to give our mates from down under an easier time to play The Smogon Tour, as currently, the Tour's schedule isn't really friendly to them (8, 6 and 4 AM Sydney time). It's also advantageous to the Americans from the West Coast.

This change is permanent for all the duration of this Smogon Tour and the next editions.
Is this just the Friday, or all the days are 2 hours earlier? Srry if I'm being dumb but it doesn't seem clear to me :o

As European I've to say that this is a very fair decision. We Europeans can still play easily on saturday (10 pm our time, 9 pm after timeshift) or sunday (8 pm our time, 7 pm after timeshift) while people from Ocenia would have almost no time to play otherwise (friday would be like 8 am without the change, saturday 6 am and sunday 4 am).
I don't know other Europeans' habits but Saturday night is usually the best time to hang out with friends (Saturday night fever!) while Sunday 7-8 pm is a common dinner time. In order to play smogon tours now I have to choose between:
  • Stay awake until 5 am on Friday (please at least put just notoriously good hosters in that day - hi Funk :3)
  • Stay at home during Saturday night ('sorry friends I can't hang out tonight I gotta play POKÉMON')
  • Delay my Sunday dinner with my parents ready to disconnect the router ('damn son you're so addicted to that game that you skip the dinner are you crazy?')
Typical European Smogoner weekend

I see Australians are in a worse position so I'm not complaining to this change in the specific, just if you want to be 'fair' with europeans and asian/oceanian players just give a more comfortable time to us though that could be shitty for Americans, I mean at least you have other 2 days to play like everyone else (day 1: good for Asians and Americans; day 2: good for Asians and Europeans; day 3: good for Americans and Europeans)

Last edited:
I mean really any time is gonna be disadvantageous to a certain pool of players from a certain part of the globe. Just gotta make sacrifices to win st, you're free to choose whether they are worth it or not.

I mean really any time is gonna be disadvantageous to a certain pool of players from a certain part of the globe. Just gotta make sacrifices to win st, you're free to choose whether they are worth it or not.
I don't see any sacrifice in playing at 8PM, 4PM or 2PM (consider also a tour usually lasts 3-4 hours lately), while playing at 2AM, 10PM (on Saturday) and 8PM is more difficult, and 10AM, 6AM and 4AM even more.
What I'm requesting is just a day in which europeans/oceanians can play in their afternoon/evening without favoring too much americans timing (for just ONE day). Isn't Smogon an international community?
And sacrificing sleep or irl habits every weekend for a game just because americans don't wanna do the same (or don't care about eu/asia/ocn issue) isn't fair.
With the 3 days splitted in order to accomodate every timezone (like I said, 1 day in which just europeans have issues, 1 day in which just americans have issues and 1 day in which just asians/oceanians have issues) I think every player can play without staying awake at 4AM. Well, if a player wants to do that he's free to do it but as now lot of players are forced to bad timings while others have the easiest ones (aka weekend afternoon).
Company in distress makes sorrow less.

Actually, it could be done by keeping ST times on Friday the same that's it's going to be but then you delay every single ST by 6 hours, which would mean 8pm EST on Fridays, 2PM EST on Saturdays & 8AM EST on Sundays. Would touch a huge part of the community and pretty much the whole world could play I think or a huge part of it could play at least 1 ST per weekend.
However, the decision to give time to play for australian people is fair and hopefully will give some times for everyone to play

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In the three previous weeks, half of the hosts did play twice. Up to now, it has always been possible for both American and European hosts.
From now, european hosts have to make a choice. Competition or hosting?
If you change it to Prague Kick's schedule, american hosts will also have to make this choice.

Maybe I'm just overthinking a little bit, but I am still afraid to lose some of the best hosts with those changements

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Why are we suddenly just gonna change the scheduling formula we've been using for forever? What about the posts that said that changing the schedule was impossible. Example: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-tour-18.3515408/page-2#post-5687124 (obviously not the same scenario but its the best i could get in 5 mins, prob some better ones out ther). I get that it helps people out, but it just looks weird as hell to me, did every reasoning behind being unable to change it before just disappear? Isn't moving down Excadrill from BW UBERs to BW OU when we had a whole generation to figure out how to balance the metagame the best way we could enough of a change already? Just my opinion.

Edit: oh, aite, understood :o

Last edited:

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
That is possibly the most absolute whiny post I've ever read in my entire time here, holy shit.

The reason for this change is obvious, to address the concerns of those in Oceania about it being nigh impossible to play at any of the times that we previously had, a concern they've put forward for years. Now they at least have 1 night a week where it isn't so hard to play.

The reason we didn't change before was because we weighed Americans' ability to play above all else. Every possible change brought up before harmed Americans' ability to play in one way or the other, so we never went through a change, as alluded to Jirachee's post under that one that you linked. But now, not only does this small 2 hour change make it easier for Oceanians to play, it also makes it slightly easier for West coasters to play, at the cost of making it nigh impossible for Europeans to play.

Ya, it's too bad that the Europeans now have 1 night where it's pretty much impossible, but it's only fair considering before it was almost impossible for Oceania to play at all.

The timing with this decision coming after we've already started Tour is just because it was something that wasn't at the forefront of our concerns throughout the summer considering we had WCoP/Classic/GS to worry about, and the fact that a small two hour change would make a big enough difference to Oceanians didn't come to our attention until a just a few weeks ago.

Side note: Sorry to those living in India, the times are going to be forever shitty for you unfortunately, them's the breaks for living on the complete opposite side of the Earth to America

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I don't know other Europeans' habits but Saturday night is usually the best time to hang out with friends (Saturday night fever!) while Sunday 7-8 pm is a common dinner time. In order to play smogon tours now I have to choose between:
  • Stay awake until 5 am on Friday (please at least put just notoriously good hosters in that day - hi Funk :3)
  • Stay at home during Saturday night ('sorry friends I can't hang out tonight I gotta play POKÉMON')
  • Delay my Sunday dinner with my parents ready to disconnect the router ('damn son you're so addicted to that game that you skip the dinner are you crazy?')
Typical European Smogoner weekend

I see Australians are in a worse position so I'm not complaining to this change in the specific, just if you want to be 'fair' with europeans and asian/oceanian players just give a more comfortable time to us though that could be shitty for Americans, I mean at least you have other 2 days to play like everyone else (day 1: good for Asians and Americans; day 2: good for Asians and Europeans; day 3: good for Americans and Europeans)
this post: wahh i have to make decisions about my priorities

vinc's point is fair but why are you complaining about having to put other things off to dedicate three hours to a pokemon tournament? is that a new addition after 20 seasons?

my first smogon tour ever i was slamming shots while playing mcmeghan, a group of 30 or so ppl can confirm (read: I'm cool and I drink, but also i make it work)

sack up and do it or don't play the tour. you can sacrifice your friends, you can sacrifice your pokemon, or you can just do both and make it work

alternatively, you only have to stay up until 5am 3 times to get the points you need because staying up the whole time implies you won the tour. most other nights you're staying up until 2am which is hardly unreasonable--clarification, you can choose between staying up at 2 9 times or staying up until 5 3 times, you don't need both.

Last edited:
I'm continually surprised we get new people to sign up to host for this tournament when the community acts the way they do when we get a host that just isn't quite ready yet to match the pace that this tournament demands.
Late reply because I don't have much time anymore...

It's a matter of people signing up to do something for the site, having no idea how to do it properly, and it just turning into a shit show because of their lack of experience. After being added to the current Tour Hosting PM, I can tell you that the guide is way more elaborate now than it ever was. It's a matter of people not reading it word for word and understanding how to do what they're supposed to do, effectively. With that said, people expect a certain quality out of Sm
gon Tour hosts. When people like me, rey, Sapientia, zeb, etc etc host, they expect round 1 to be done by 35 minutes (really depends on the amount of sign ups, but if you've played a tour where this was the case, you know what I'm talking about) after the tour has started and the tour to be finished in a relatively short amount of time. When many of your credible hosts decide that they don't want to host anymore, you're left with inexperienced people who never really had a chance to host because experienced hosts had priority over them until they stopped hosting. Perhaps putting a requirement for first time hosts to host at least one other tour or something like that would help a bit. Just my opinion...

Also with this new tour time, I can host Fridays again. Haha, happy day!

same

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
When I started playing there was a friday tour at 2 am and a saturday tour at midnight and we adjusted the times to comfort european players. We even added a fucking third tour after three weeks being played.
So it's just fair to make this change for australians

this post: wahh i have to make decisions about my priorities

vinc's point is fair but why are you complaining about having to put other things off to dedicate three hours to a pokemon tournament? is that a new addition after 20 seasons?
You may be right but the point is 'why just some people in the world have to make these sacrifices?' If you put three timings that can allow everyone to play you can still play 2/3 easily or even watch all of them but with a probably sacrifice in doing this, just like some people in the world are doing right now. I know smogon started being an American community so timings are in NA's favor but it would be cool for everyone if europeans and asians/oceanians can have their smogtour day in which they can play in the afternoon. It's too easy speaking of sacrifices when you're American and don't have to start a tour at 2-4am

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Late reply because I don't have much time anymore...

It's a matter of people signing up to do something for the site, having no idea how to do it properly, and it just turning into a shit show because of their lack of experience. After being added to the current Tour Hosting PM, I can tell you that the guide is way more elaborate now than it ever was. It's a matter of people not reading it word for word and understanding how to do what they're supposed to do, effectively. With that said, people expect a certain quality out of Sm
gon Tour hosts. When people like me, rey, Sapientia, zeb, etc etc host, they expect round 1 to be done by 35 minutes (really depends on the amount of sign ups, but if you've played a tour where this was the case, you know what I'm talking about) after the tour has started and the tour to be finished in a relatively short amount of time. When many of your credible hosts decide that they don't want to host anymore, you're left with inexperienced people who never really had a chance to host because experienced hosts had priority over them until they stopped hosting. Perhaps putting a requirement for first time hosts to host at least one other tour or something like that would help a bit. Just my opinion...

Also with this new tour time, I can host Fridays again. Haha, happy day!

same
i hosted a 192 man tour with absolutely no prior (live) hosting experience and it was still wrapped up in 3.5 hours, the last hour and 40 of which was finals (three-way with a reset). there's really no excuse for slow hosting imo, it just shows you didn't read the guide and prepare yourself before hand. not commenting on how the community treated whoever was hosting because i wasn't around to see it but i really don't think we need some sort of provision, we just need people not to be shitty hosts.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
damn the amount of science that is pouring from some posts is outstanding
today i've learned that i could not duplicate myself and do several things at the same time at different places, it's crazy 0.o

edit : and it's not about experience or anything, it's about who gives a shit about hosting a good tour + will be professional about it, and who does not

It was a common agreement between the TDs at the time after a friday's adv ST that had a hard time finding 48 people to play it so they decided to change it.

Guess I gotta play saturday and sunday every week now. I kinda agree that if all europeans have a bad time one day then so should the Americans. They are always favoured and they should be neglected for once as well imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)